Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
euro911
I noticed you're using the European date format in your camera (Day/Month/Year).

I was also reminded that I need to round up the parts to install the front anti-swar bay in 'HOWARD'. I need to finish making a cart/dolly for the blast cabinet - have to blast the custom arms and downlinks that David @dfelz made for it (several years ago), so I can have them powder-coated or painted.

IPB Image
914 Ranch
The top of the Targa fairing is almost sanded rough. It's all glued together so when it dries I can finish the rough sanding.

Click to view attachment
The NARB in the back ground.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I've been sanding on the targa bar fairing and it looks much better but that brought me to a thought. With the targa bar fairing and the cold air intake the hole targa bar will be covered. The targa bar should disappear in the eye of the wind. Just a thought, hope it works.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
So I've been a little busy with life and enjoying it completely. Getting a little ssnding done on Carerror, but thats about it. Had to cut up a tree and that took a couple of days. Butt thats not what all of this is about. I had a friend growing up in Walteira , Ca. Billy B (William Robert Mitchel), we had about 6 Bills in the neighborhood and had to figure what to do with it. Billy Smith was the oldest so we let him have Bill and it went on from there. I was lucky cause my Middle name is William and told them my name is not Bill.
Billy started turning bald in he's sophomore year and rapidly matured after that. The last time I talked to him we were 35. He said that nothing worked anymore. My life had just bearly begun at that point. i bought my first wife and house in HB at 32.
Butt thats not what this is about either. This is about distractions.

Click to view attachment

71 and still having fun…
euro911
71 and still havin' fun (hmmm idea.gif ... good rhyming lyrics for a song) rock_band.gif

Me? ... I'm 66, and having issues with my get-away sticks sad.gif howard.gif
914 Ranch
I am ready to fiberglass the targa bar fairing and I believe that Carerror is ready to get start up again. I need to get her stable mate (The NARB, Not A Real Bug) back into the shop. She is a fun car around town (slamed, 2110 with a close ratio tranny and disks all round) and her small sway bar is 7/8 ths. She is a great training car for A/X as I have picked on the 914's with her before. She is in a pic at post # 252 above.
914 Ranch
So I have been trying to get comfy with the bug and Carerror in a 2 car garage, it's tight but workable. Today I got start up from Carerror and it sure was nice to hear her purr...
914 Ranch
Currently working on the wings making up the end caps. I have 20 of them to do and then I can start on glassing them. That's going to take a few days. Not that it's going to change anything but it's gonna be a little boring around here until I get the foils finished. I have decided to put in a switch to turn off the fuel pump. As I would like to be able to run motor till the carbs empty.
914 Ranch
Cutting the end caps for the wings, really sorry about using up time that I have here for work on another project but the foils are the same size. After working on them I realized that I could probably make the foils for the windmill out of just a cupped piece of sheet metal. Probably going to do that also just to see which one is faster. I won't be doing much more to the windmill till Carerror is ready for the track. Just thought I would do all of the foils at once since the are all the same foil (Clark Y 25 foil).

Click to view attachment

When I finish with the end caps I will make up the threaded inserts (40 of them) I will then go back to metal work on Carrror and mount the rear wing.
914 Ranch
So today I mounted the mock up of the rear wing to see how high I wanted it to finish out at and I think I got it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Making some notes on the patterns for the cutting of the parts in aluminum. I have the stock on hand so it should happen quickly.
914 Ranch
Making up the patterns for the intake.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

More pictures as they happen.
914 Ranch
Looking at the cooled air intake to see if I like it. It's growing on me so I'm going to finish this.

Click to view attachment

Couldn't get a good shot from the front of the car but I'll try again latter.
euro911
Hey Joe ... have you tested the air flow with one of those big box fans to see how much air will be forced into the engine bay?

aktion035.gif
914 Ranch
Hi Mark, I was thinking about doing some digital recording when I get to the point where I am driving her but my real interest is in the intake air temperature. It would be nice if the atmospheric pressure went up also. I would like to make the plenum very large and unobstructed so the velocity stacks are unrestricted. Yesterday I was looking at the intake scoop and didn't like the line at the top. Now it's more inline with the tail of the targa fairing. In the picture above the upper corners are sticking out.
More pics.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Fiberglass is only hard to do because you have to do so much stuff to make it happen correctly. I know that I can make some functional scoops from the fiberglass parts that I get from this but what I'm looking for will not be so chiseled, ur ah angular.
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
914 Ranch
Me too popcorn[1].gif
914 Ranch
So Mark, I have to give you a special thanks for an idea you have inspired. Carerror as a name for a car takes entirely too much time.
To quote you "AR 914" . But I like 914 AR (Assault Racer). I really liked"914 Light" but that car was done more than 20 years ago. Besides it was a 4 and mine is a -6 and she is lighter.
914 Ranch
But after thinking about it I like it...

Carerror

AR 14

914 AR

Maybe I should open this up in The Garage and take some suggestions about a new name for Carerror. The more I think about it the more I like
AR 14.

914 Ranch
Workig on the scoop now and really like the shape that I am getting from the foam. I need to do a bunch of body work to it so I can pull a skin from it and I will be a happy camper…

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
Keep going....I'm bored. Need something to entertain me.
poke.gif
914 Ranch
Ok you guys but I'm having a really hard time with this.
First of all Thanks Shane as I need some entertainment too... It is my sincerest wishes that no one reading this is under lockdown. Myself I am healthy at this time and staying at home except for food and Rx.
Carerror (AR 14), I still haven't decided yet. I really like the scoops and can't wait to see the shapes with them and the faired targa bar.
As l get closer with the Cold Air Intake I am thinking about the mounting of the rear wing. The rear wing and targa bar are ready to fiberglass. At that time I will probably glass the foils for the windmill also.
I sure am glad we have Elon, I don't think I could do space, I heard it's really hard.
Enough of my rambling, stay safe and I hope to hear from all of you in August...
RolinkHaus
Interested to see the final product. What state are you in ?we’ve got a track up here in Indiana (Putnam Park). Oh, thanks for the eye candy on page 13.
914 Ranch
OK I know we are all board to Falcon death as I really need to have some FALCON FUN. Don't know where I'm going to find it though.
When I was thinking about the Cold Air Intake I had no idea of what changes would need to be made in the engine bay. Looks like I'll need to move the oil tank breather. No big deal, a little bit of plumbing and it will be in the rear trunk area.
My options for the filler are small, leave it there or move the tank. Moving the tank means a hole new can of worms for me. There is only the stock cooler in the car. This can only put me off on another tangent that would make me more creative and evocative than I already am and take another 2 years to finish. Really, you know, A N lines, Mazda radiator out the in the back with duct work and a bank of fans with enough power to move the car.
As I degrees and realized that I am trying to out wait a Falcon chines bug and I will always be ongoing.
So for now I'll set my goals a little lower and just try to keep moving.
Sometime after day light I'll make up a box that I can use to mold the foam. I was messing with the block and saw a better way to handle this.
Stay Safe...
914 Ranch
Some other thoughts a flat bottom and a defuser. Got the bottom worked out but for the defuser I got nothing...
914 Ranch
WOW!!! FIFTEEN THOUSAND Viewers... Except for the times that it is occurring in I'd be totally elated. So I'm only just elated.
Thank all of you for being here for me. You are what keeps me enthusiastic about AR 14. There it is, now I have put it in print so I guess I'll need to edit the header. I do feel some similarities there as the cars wings are clip on as are the options for an AR 15.
You know that I would like to set some goals but at this time I think I have to go for just what is in front of me. Foolish of me to even consider time now because the only thing I can make a change in is the name of a car.
On going, I am one on going Mother Falconer. I say it that way because spelling it correctly is offensive, this shows that I am at least paying attention to what's happening today. Elon is amazing as are his Falcons. After seeing one abort it's landing instead of crashing into OCISLY. It crashed into the sea. I thought that a Falcon could do a backflip...
914 Ranch
Speaking of Falcons as I was, offentimes I do 4:20 on the back patio as it has a wonderful view. I have seen a few birds here and have some matting pairs of Falcons and Eagles. I have no idea how many Falcons but I believe only one pair of Bald Eagles. I have witnessed both take fish but the Falcon does areobatics for me. Last week a Falcon was flying by and picked a bird out of the sky. I didn't see it fall, what I saw was it at about 40' stall, hover, and do what looked like a backstroke and spiral down backwards landing next to a lump on the ground. Which it picked up and flew off with. The next time I saw a Falcon hover I had just walked out the back door and it was stalled at about 30' over the lake, it went right onto a Delta dive and crashed right into the water and came out and flew away with about 10" of fish.
sb914
Hey joe ! @914 Ranch Have you seen this ? I’ve been meaning to post it but I couldn’t find it Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
i like it…
914 Ranch
Something thing inspired me and I am back out in the shop this morning. Playing with the rear wing mounting.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Man I wana see this thing in the daylight…
stownsen914
Lookin' good, keep up the good work!

Re: a diffuser, it is possible, but it does require some work to do it right. There is some room behind the engine and next to the trans to do a diffuser, but a few things are in the way, notably the exhaust and the shift linkage. I put a diffuser on my 914 and had to move both of those things. Lots of fab to do that. And then making the diffuser was a task. You'd be up to it though, based on the work you're doing with the wings, etc. I don't have great pics of the diffuser, but there are some pics of my car in the thread below, including a view from the back.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...320084&st=0
914 Ranch
Thanks again Scott, now I have to make up a diffuser but I have a really good idea what I need to do. Avoiding the shift linkage with a tunnel makes a lot of sense. I would like to put the exhaust in there as well.
infraredcalvin
This guy did some crazy work with a diffuser on a turbo... some fun reading on his diffuser.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-tur...lans-911-a.html
914 Ranch
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Apr 10 2020, 02:03 AM) *

This guy did some crazy work with a diffuser on a turbo... some fun reading on his diffuser.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-tur...lans-911-a.html

Thanks that was a nice read with a great post from Scott.
My plan, should I have thought that I actualy have one is to lower the front of the car as I have mentioned early on. The rear of the car is planted and has the hreat temps and scuffing on the inside and outside of the tire. So I really don't want to change anything in the rear of the car. But the front is another hole can of worms.

Click to view attachment

I seem to be able to find money for some parts, I would think I would be able to find some for lighting the shop. There it is I called myself out now I have to fix it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This has worked out really well, just like the front it looks really neat.
914 Ranch
Thanks for the link Calvin. Found a nice post from Scott there also. Petri's post have a ton of info that is as appropriate today as it was when it was written 10 years ago. Until now I have not had to pay much attention to ride height. Now it has become critical. I don't like the front suspension and I am going to have to do something about it. When I become a RMF (Rich Mother Falconer) I'll put some Elephants in the car. The cross beam is more than I wanted to spend on the hole front suspension.
Old Team NARP Headquarters is supposed to go on the market soon, maybe I will be able to put some Elephants in the front end. There I go dreaming again, speaking of dreaming again, WE NEED TO GATHER... I should open up another thread for this just because I don't think it can happen before Aug. If I start planning now we might be able to have a nice event.
914 Ranch
The bottm of the rear wing is about 7/8" higher than the top of the targa fairing. I can raise the wing some but at this time I don't feel like it's too low. When I get her out for road test I'll put some streamers off the targa and see what's up.

Click to view attachment

You can hardly see it but the yellow part is a Stabila level that is magnetic and is holding a straight edge out under the bottom of the wing.
stownsen914
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Apr 9 2020, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks again Scott, now I have to make up a diffuser but I have a really good idea what I need to do. Avoiding the shift linkage with a tunnel makes a lot of sense. I would like to put the exhaust in there as well.

Racecars are just never done ...

The other thing to get out of the way of the diffuser is the exhaust. I wound up reconfiguring some 911 headers to do this, turned around so they are "backward" on the engine compared to how they would sit in a 911. This did require some fab to move a couple of the primary tubes so they wouldn't hit the chainboxes and shift linkage, if memory serves correctly. The 911 headers wrap toward the front of the car, and I angled the tailpipe upward from the collector to site on top of the diffuser. The 914/6 headers are more directly in the way since they go almost straight back from the engine. A friend has a tube frame 914 that has a diffuser and uses regular 914/6 headers and I guess cut them to angle them upward to clear the diffuser. And here are some pics of it from an old classified ad! One of them shows the exhaust from the back.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/porsche/914gt2/914gt2pp.htm
euro911
Joe, have you thought about making the angle of attack adjustable for fine tuning?

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
It would be nice to have the wings adjustable but I think that I really need to get her running before I try to make her fancy. I don't want to make a list of the stuff that needs to be done. If I can just do the stuff that the chassis needs I can run her. And I believe that I can do it this year.
euro911
Hey, lookie here, Joe ... type.gif

4-Fin ABS 22"x 21" Diffuser ... idea.gif

confused24.gif
914 Ranch
Picked up some high fill primer in white for the front wing and some stuff to do the fuel pump off switch. I want to be able to run the carbs dry.
914 Ranch
I fallow Dana's Ankle Biter and watched him just see a diffuser and buy it cause he knew it would fit. Everything I see looks like it belongs on another car. I don't think that will be ready for that this year.
Making progress on the dash right now. Moved 2 switches and added 2 lights. One each for the ignition in red and a green for the fuel pump.
914 Ranch
Just posted a picture of a before and after pictures. So I got the before pic from Carl La Fong many years ago but I couldn't figure out how to post it. Got some help and now I have it in an album here so I can use it. Before I edit the original post again I want to try

Before
Click to view attachment

On going as it is not ready for the track.
Click to view attachment

Wow, just WOW!!!
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Here we go with 6 new pictures outside, she hasn't been outside for a few years.
AAAOOOUUUUUUU, she looks fast sitting just sitting there.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I especially like this shot as it shows the angles of the surfaces of the top of AR. Everything is at 10°. The front wing the hood, the the windscreens and the rear wing. I feel just like I did when I put the cowling and windscreens on. I have no Falcon idea what I am doing or where I am going...
Click to view attachment
AWSOME, excuse me as I am taken by my own creation.

Click to view attachment

Nice shots... I love my home ❤️.
euro911
If it were mine, I'd name it "The Weed Whacker" aktion035.gif

Looking 'Sharp', Joe beerchug.gif
914 Ranch
Getting the AR out of the shop was to clean up in the shop. When I put her back into the shop, I backed her in so I could work on the front of her as the front wing is just sitting there. Had some delemma about the attachment point. I think I have worked it out and hopefully it will be OK. I clamped the horse head brackets in place and am happy with the ride height of the foil. So for now I'm just going to be screwing around with the front of the car.
I believe that Scott had requested pics of her outside but I don't feel like she is ready for this as the ride height is not set yet and I really want to do that on level payment, but there isn't any here. When the HB house sells that's all going to change. Even the floor in the garage needs to be changed.
I AM LOVING ALL THE SUPPORT FROM THIS COMMUNITY ❤️❤️❤️....
914 Ranch
I pulled the front wing off of AR and it took just over 2 minutes.
914 Ranch
WIFI has been down so I forgot what pictures I had taken.
Oh yeah, that. I'm getting ready to put in the screws for the bractets to the body. I need to cut the backing and the hole in the center of the top of the bracket. Then I can start screwing the bracket to the body.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Trying to work out the trailing edge of the rear foil. Trying to bring the foil to a straight pointed end isn't easy. So I'm working on the vertical wing wind mill foils to get some experience, and make a plan so that the foil looks good, straight and clean when it's done.

Click to view attachment

I covered the table in none stick foil and made a 6.5 ounce single layer of fiberglass. Cut 2" strips and but jointed 2 of them together to fold it into a V. It is taped in place so I can flip it over useing the blue tape as a hinge. Paint on the epoxy and glue the trailing edge back in place and tape it down.
914 Ranch
Finally got back to the rear wing and looks good for me to fiberglass it tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

The trailing edge is just taped in place at the moment, it just looks really clean and straight Thats really important to me because being DIY it is off the wall having a well executed appearance I believe makes the car more intimidating.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I'll glue in the trailing edge tonight and glass it in the morning. Will be nice to see it mounted in white primer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.