Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
Finished up the details of the air box and set it in place in the car. It looks really good with the graining done.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
The other end.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
The radiators hiding in the grill work.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Made some more foam board patterns today. Putting in some more aluminum panels, these go just above the transmission.
The patterns.

Click to view attachment

Where I am placing them there is an elevation change and this allows me to stack the sheets and sneak in a piece of extrusion for support.
914 Ranch
Placing the panels. A few small details that should be quick and easy. Like moving the back up wiring and the ground strap. I can do most of fasteners tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
Looking good Joe
914 Ranch
I ran out of hardware so still have to do final fitting. Really happy with the looks.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
I have taken the last few days off to give my back a break. I worked out there for a couple of hours and the time spent away really helped. The bending over and reaching really hurts after just a few minutes. But today went well.
914 Ranch
Getting ready to fasten down the new panels, also ready for another trip to Daytona bolt and nut. They want to see the car.
I love Calico clips

Click to view attachment

I like this material so much that I might make up a new set of plenums out of it. They are made from a roof flashing material and it's pretty thin.
914 Ranch
Finished the with the screws on the panels and really happy with the looks of it. It gave me a lot of pain bending over the back of the car. I had to give it a break for 3 days so I could finish it up.

Click to view attachment

Still need to make up 2 more hoses but it requires pulling the oil tank so now I get to jack up the car in the trailer. I have to pull the plenum on the driver's side to get the tank out.
914 Ranch
Another picture.

Click to view attachment

Excuse me but I think that it is a really clean institution.
914 Ranch
From the rear of the car.

Click to view attachment

What can I say...
Shivers
Looks good Joe. Curious to see the results in numbers. Is the air supply the two holes in the inner fenders?
914 Ranch
There are holes everywhere, I just hope I can make the motors work. If any of the things that I have done to this car works it will be a surprise to me. All of this stuff keeps me from watching the TV. Sure helps me pass the time. So if it works as good as I think it looks it would be really cool.
The latest pictures.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
And

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
@Shivers , first of all, thank you for making me think. Second I must apologize for not knowing, but in '12 I had a stroke and lost my mind. One of the things that hasn't returned to me is your first name. All these years of association and I would really like to be able to address you by your first name.
My solution to your query is to box in the intake of the air box.
I can make the top from Plexi so you can still see those horns.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
No worries Joe, I have to keep my mind on a leash. Paul is my name. But I went and hung with family in New Jersey back in 2008, stayed all through summer and most of the fall. Me being a desert rat wore a jacket most of the time. The whole township was calling me Shivers... av-943.gif Lol so call me Shivers and know I respond fondly to it. Half the time my Wife calls me Shivers. Have a great day Joe!
914 Ranch
Paul of Crippled Krauts Racing Team??? Man that is way back. Thanks Paul. It has been a long time.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 11 2022, 11:19 PM) *

Paul of Crippled Krauts Racing Team??? Man that is way back. Thanks Paul. It has been a long time.

Paul the cripple no doubt, but not from crippled krauts. We go back to the club days, NARP brothers and I'm a "Work Party At Joe's" multi- participant. SoCal914 was the old handle. If you don't remember, we'll just become friends again. I'm game
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 11 2022, 11:19 PM) *

Long time ago, there was a crazy bastard here that photoshopped everything. Mostly irreverent images. Here is one you may remember:

Click to view attachment

And one I did for Howard:

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Thirty five thousand viewers, WOW. I never could have imagined that. And I have found a way to get something happening that I always thought I could never afford. Elephant Racing's front suspension is for sale on the Bird board for $3,750 and I have 2 tax returns coming at me. With that and shocks from Marvin Shaw I can take the iron springs out of the car by replacing them with nitrogen gas. That's the best replacement pound for pound on the car. The wind screens for the windshield was a really good ratio but the 4 springs for all of the weight of the nothing that the nitrogen gas weighs has got that beaten by a mile.
I don't have a link, that's not really true as I don't have the ability to post a link. I bought some shocks from Marvin in '88 and they are still working today.
914 Ranch
I'm just sitting here waiting for the delivery of the new suspension parts. I talked to Marvin Shaw shocks ( Marvin has passed but his shop is still working) and they can make up inserts for the shock housing and that is just what I need. I have seen this type of set up on a 914 before but I don't remember where and that car had coil over shocks. I'm just hoping to be able to eliminate the coil spring. I'll post a picture as soon as the parts arrive.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 15 2022, 12:24 PM) *

Thirty five thousand viewers, WOW. I never could have imagined that. And I have found a way to get something happening that I always thought I could never afford. Elephant Racing's front suspension is for sale on the Bird board for $3,750 and I have 2 tax returns coming at me. With that and shocks from Marvin Shaw I can take the iron springs out of the car by replacing them with nitrogen gas. That's the best replacement pound for pound on the car. The wind screens for the windshield was a really good ratio but the 4 springs for all of the weight of the nothing that the nitrogen gas weighs has got that beaten by a mile.
I don't have a link, that's not really true as I don't have the ability to post a link. I bought some shocks from Marvin in '88 and they are still working today.

I think it's the wings. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Thanks Shivers. The wings, yes. It definitely looks like it's going fast standing still.
914 Ranch
Been trying to get the duct work in front of the fan box ready. I got all the aluminum for the frame and I am cutting the pieces up getting ready to tie it all together. Should be nice to see it all together,

Click to view attachment

I don't think I have enough fasteners.
914 Ranch
I cut up the frame today and I should have all the parts screwed together tomorrow. It's looking good and neat.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Almost there, still need some rivets and I can install this.

Click to view attachment

Rivets should be in Saturday but the Elephant Racing suspension parts should be here tomorrow. Then I'll be thinking about Mono balls and shocks. That's going to really put a smile on my face.
914 Ranch
Just another picture...

Click to view attachment

I'm jazzed, but I did wonder just how long it's going to take me to finish this installation???
914 Ranch
Getting wired. I had to stop as I don't have the correct size heat shrink.

Click to view attachment

So some time later today I get to go to my favorite marine store in Daytona Beach.
Shivers
The front suspension is wicked
914 Ranch
Back from Daytona and all the wires have their heat shrinking done. In the picture I have the wires placed next to the connectors from the motors. Looking for the placement of the bus bar and the ESC. All those wires have to exit the end of the box somehow and the ESC has a switch on it that needs to turned on and off. And I thought this would be simple shit.

Click to view attachment

Somehow I have to isolate the ESC from car electrical system. It can't take voltage over 12 volts.
914 Ranch
So I built this nice reply and lost it.
So I'll try again. I'm going to use the cars 12 volts system to change the RC battery. A relay will turn on the RC ESC powering it up from the RC battery. That will give power to the potentiometer on the dash, which sends a signal to the ESC's and that runs the motors.
Ain't no simple shit here...

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
This is the power distribution wires. With a motor plugged in. The wires are color coded because I need to have all the motors going the same direction.

Click to view attachment

I ran out of bullets ( the brass connectors), they are on order.
OK you guys, that was one big ass Elephant Bite. I have been thinking about this one for weeks. Nice to see the final product looking so clean. I can see some Cazadores in the near future.

Gosh I feel good... piratenanner.gif
914 Ranch
Working on the circuitry for the motors. Got some progress.

Click to view attachment

Still a work in progress.

914 Ranch
Yeah Falcon Who, I have control over the motors.
Time to move everything on to and into the air box.

Click to view attachment

So JAZZED....
914 Ranch
One of the motors is not wired in (I'm missing 2 little brass bullets). The box needs aluminum brace across the top. And I need to check the connections on the relay. And a hot lead from the engine electric box.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jun 15 2022, 03:01 PM) *

Working on the circuitry for the motors. Got some progress.

Click to view attachment

Still a work in progress.

Soooooo, 88 miles per hour? Pretty darn cool Joe
914 Ranch
Air box is almost complete. Can't wait to hear it roar...
First the electronics.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Lousy pictures, have to try harder.

Click to view attachment

See how this one comes out.
914 Ranch
Not bad so I'll do another.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Enjoying my coffee and accomplishments this morning. Not to be beating my own drum this is a really cool piece of work. A couple of things still to be done. I ordered some wire and some bullet connectors which will finish it up and bring me to the installation. Fusch, Fusch, I truly believe that this is the sweetest rear of the car oil cooler installation I have ever seen.

Click to view attachment

And here is another accomplishment. This thread is about to go over 37,000 viewers. This is so COOL. WOW JUST WOW...
Once again thanks to all y'all for your continued support of my addiction and LOVE for my machine.

Beating my own drum ( Eeh, Aye, Aye, Aye.) To an ancient Native American rhythm.
Enthusiasm
Inspiration
Imagination
Innovation

I do feel the LOVE.
914 Ranch
This morning I hooked up all the electrical connections and fired it up. There were motors running and that made my day. Remember one of the motors is not connected so it doesn't work. Still waiting on the connectors. Happy to hear the response from the 3 of them. When all 4 motors are running I will get them straight and all running the same way.

Click to view attachment

So close...
914 Ranch
I cleaned up the top of the box today. I used my Eastwood SCT and it did a wonderful job. Leaving a nice grain pattern on the hole top.
SCT in the background.

Click to view attachment

Still waiting on the connectors for motor number 4. Should be here any day.
914 Ranch
The connectors arrived yesterday and I installed them immediately. I then got all the motors running the same direction. I'm running into some electrical glitches so after I get all of them sorted out I will do the installation.
That is a big deal as it involves work under the dash through the hole car, pulling the plenums, finishing up the oil coolers. An oil change and reassembling the duct work and fan box. No sweat, we're going into the hottest time of the year and I will be working outside. We'll see how it goes.
Checking out batteries and I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat er, uh battery.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Although it appears that nothing is happening here work on the wiring for the circuit board for the control of the sensors. Air temperature, pressure and velocity and a few other things in the car.
Remember going digital? That's still happening. There is a circuit board on the fan box and a screen on the dash going in. I don't have the ability to fabricate the boards so my neighbor Josh is doing that. He says the screen has 5 lines on it and they can each be different colors.
Two new buttons are also coming to the dash one to power up the circuit board and one for Mark Shid+#!?&tl @euro911 . Mark had mentioned at one point that it would be nice to have the rear wing adjustable from the cockpit. I have a huge servo for a flap and I am working on just that. I seems as though thru the circuit board I will be able use the flap in 3 positions. Like an adjustable Gurney Flap. I'm going to call those positions 0 None (0°) 1 Some (30°) and 2 A Lot (60°).

Click to view attachment

The difference between a LARGE and small servo. The adjustable flap is just for intimidation. It might even work out to be a good tool for the car.
Look, I want this car to be shocking. I want the top time racers to say, if they ever figure out how to drive that car we're all done.
Shivers
Anyway you could use a speed sensor to adjust the wing for you? One less thing
914 Ranch
Hey Paul, so here I go again off on another tangent. Sense we have a computer on board we can probably make the flap computer controlled. So it could be made flat when under hard acceleration. And up full when on the brakes. Just when I thought I was getting ahead I figured that I need to do more things to the car. Active areo WOW. Ok I will talk to Josh and we'll brainstorm it tomorrow.
We have had the fans running but it hasn't been quite correct. It seems that the 80 amp ESC is inadequate and that it might require 2 of them. When I bought the motors they came with ESC's but that meant that I had to run 4 of them and I wanted to just have 1 controller. So now I'm going to work on tying 4 of them together. So I think I am going to put it all inside the box.
More later today.
914 Ranch
Well I guess this is latter. I've taken all the wires and electronics off of the fan box and I am moving fan housings to inside the box. When I was organizing the electronics originally I was trying to use a single RSC but the complicated electronics didn't want to run the 4 motors. So now I'm going to try to make 4 ESCs work together. One of the advantages to having one ESC was that I could put in on the side of the box. Now everything has to go inside the box which means pulling the box for maintenance.
Currently I am rotting 2 of the fan housings to make all the connections on the center of the floor of the box. So just to see I connected all the motors wires up and it looks like I will be able cut down on a lot of the wires to the motors. About this much.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
The wiring should be much easier as all the power points will be together and I should be able to tie all the throttle wires together too.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
No progress yesterday or today by myself, but Josh is getting the circuit board together. Thanks you brother. Myself I was helping a friend with their boat twice and fell both times. My back is out and today is the third day after fall number one. I'm OK but quite stiff and I don't walk well yet. I have done some small things like straighting up the wiring inside the box.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.