Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
Finished gluing up the trailing edge this morning and took a brake. It was 4:20 and from the looks of it I won. I thought of a way to put a flap on it. Would make it adjustable form the cockpit. Mark will really like that.
Pic of the progress. All you can tell is that I added tape but it's where I put the glue that counts.

Click to view attachment

When it is dry enough to sand I will apply 2 layers of glass, sand it smooth, primer it and mount it back where it belongs. Can't wait to see it!
914 Ranch
More on the rear wing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Better than I expected.
914 Ranch
I have been working on the intake scoops. Building a form for the foam block shape. I had to do it twice because they are much longer than I thought. I tried to make it so I could disassemble it from around the foam after it is cured. The box is done and I am trying to talk myself into going for the pour. From the foam blocks I can make lefts and rights so really I am the only thing that is holding me back.
914 Ranch
The block is done and I am happy. Rough sanded it looks awesome. My computer stopped talking to my camera so I can't post pics of what's going on. Sorry.
914 Ranch
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
I am sorry but phyque the plug is really looking good. And I can't show off damnit. The shape is just what I had envisioned. Just much bigger than I had thought. Kool uh?
euro911
Have you tried taking pix with your schmart fone and e-mailing them to your e-mail account?
stownsen914
I like your work making the wing
914 Ranch
I'm really trying to get some pictures up but my my phone and computer stopped talking to each other. My laptop was always a piece of shit and is a '12. Surprised it worked this long, I dumped my ipone along time ago. No point in having something that takes 2 weeks for an appointment to get it an appointment to fix it.
914 Ranch
Pic hopefully...

Click to view attachment

I'm going to need to practice that.
Posted from my phone and is not reliable.

The driver side Cold Air Intake scoop plug.
914 Ranch
Trying again...

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
OK, probably not the last time I'll try but hoping...

Click to view attachment

Kool, I love the shape, it's a little large but it hides part of the targa bar inside it.

This could be a total failure but I'll finish it and see if I still like it.
914 Ranch
Two coats of 6.5 ounce fiberglass on the targa bar this morning.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
And
914 Ranch
On going with the Cold Air Intake, I am getting close with the plug for the scoop.. l'm making a pattern for cutting the fiberglass cloth. Going to need a bunch of them, at least 12. 3 for each of the plugs and for the scoops.

Click to view attachment

I was thinking that I could make a scoop from thin aluminum from this but it would only come out all wrinkled and dented.
914 Ranch
The pattern wrapped around the plug.

Click to view attachment

It will look much better in glass.
914 Ranch
Had to drive her this morning. Rain got her bay flooded and I had to sweep out the mess. I can't help it but that always puts a smile on my face. Getting ready to try to get a better line on the trailing edge of the targa bar fairing.

Click to view attachment

Trying to work with my camera just to see what changes I can make to help with downloading.
914 Ranch
Another pic hopefully...

Click to view attachment

Damn it seemed to have worked.
914 Ranch
Finally getting some detail of the trailing edge of the targa bar fairing. I have been trying to fill in gaps and air pockets and bring it to a point.

Click to view attachment

A few more layers of epoxy and some sanding and it should be good.
914 Ranch
This is taking forever, so I'm in order for me to be able to get some visuals I'm going to make a change in the plans. I really want the fiberglass scoops but I want to see them while I can still drive. So I have a piece of aluminum that I was saving for something just about like this. It took me a few minutes to make it fit the pattern on and there's very little scrap material left over. It won't be pretty but it should give me prof of concept. And I can get on with making the car work. This is taking entirely too much time and I am only about half way there. It's like the plug needs glass, sand, fill, sand, jell coat, sand, polish, wax and buff. And then I can start to make the mold which will need all of that again. I think I can do all that later if I really hate the way the scoops look. And costs, it costs $130 for the foam to make a scoop and I need 2, also the glass cloth is $17 a yard and I need at least 12 more. Oh and don't forget the epoxy. I just hope that in aluminum it doesn't appear to be quick and dirty.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
New pics

Click to view attachment

I like it.
914 Ranch
Better pic

Click to view attachment

Yep, that will work. I can get a pattern from this side to save a lot of time trimming the other side. It took a couple of hours to get this close but I am happy with the looks.
PlaysWithCars
Neat idea putting the scoop on the side. How do they duct into the engine compartment?
914 Ranch
Hey Mark, I cut out the space between the engine grill cover and the targa bar. I think I have a pic.

Click to view attachment

Let's see if this works. I have a new laptop and we are fighting about posting a pic. I have to move the breather to whats left of the rear trunk. I think it is only a little plumbing.
Looking at that pic tells me that I need to make up some kind of fairing for the targa bar upright.

Mark @playswithcars , didn't you attend the WCC in Portland in '06?
914 Ranch
Right side.

Click to view attachment

In 2 days I got both scoops on the car and I am happy with the way they look. I would have still been sanding and glassing the plug for the left side. It would take me the till the end of summer to do this in fiberglass.
RESPECT to all those who build plugs, molds and make parts in fiberglass...
914 Ranch
And

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
One more time, this makes about 6.
It was riveting day.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Kool huh...

Click to view attachment

The scoops have a flange that will take the fasteners to the targa bar. The right scoops flange is setting less than an eighth from where it will be fastened.
euro911
aktion035.gif
914 Ranch
Excuse me but I find the work that I am doing aesthetically pleasing. I am making no effort to make the car Bad Ass, so it appears to me that I must have that in me. So now that I am here I guess I'm just letting it all out. Just a personal opinion but I find the car appealing.

Click to view attachment

Better but I still don't like the angle of the picture.
914 Ranch
Yesterday I made up a small fairing that ties the targa fairing to the intake scoop.

Click to view attachment

I'm thinking a flat head screw from the top of the little fairing through a post and the scoop to the targa bar one counter sunk screw holding everything at the top. The bottom will have 3 fasteners from the flange on the bottom of the scoop to the targa bar.
914 Ranch
Attached

Click to view attachment

Looks so much better with something covering the end of the targa bar fairing.
euro911
Just curious if you're gonna roll the front edges of the scoops in - like a jet engine nacelle?

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Thought about it for about 2 seconds. Too much difficulty. By this time next year I should have a bead roller but by then I should be able to make them in fiberglass and I can put the lip in the mold. I really do like the way the car looks with all the aluminum natural, there's a lot of hand crafted stuff in the car.
914 Ranch
Doing some more fitting of the end cap of the targa bar fairing. It's looking really nice and cleans up the area where the targa bar fairing joined Cold Air Intake scoop. This is the right side.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Left side ready for fitting.

Click to view attachment

If they look a little hammered it's because they are. I used a small ball peen hammer beating the aluminum into submission over a large rubber mallet mounted in my vice.
stownsen914
Looking nice. What did you use to shape those end pieces?
914 Ranch
I don't know what alloy that aluminum is but it is soft enough to be playable and still hold a shape.
I used the 3 hammers in this picture. The body of the end cap was shaped with the larger ball peen hammer on the outside radius of the mallet and the edge was formed on the edge of the face of the mallet.
Thanks for asking Scott, that was a bitch... But it looks better in person than in the pics.

Click to view attachment

The small hammer worked best for the edges.
914 Ranch
I spent the day mounting the rear wing to the rain gutter just above the rear tire.

Click to view attachment

The bracket.
914 Ranch
With the wing in the picture.

Click to view attachment

I put some backing on the inside of the top of the fender just in case.
914 Ranch
Rear wing brackets for the driver side.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Making templets to support the rear wing mount. You know I just like saying the names of the stuff that I am working on just because nobody else can. Like, Cold Air Intake. The Front Wing. I'm sorry but that stuff just sounds bitchen to me. Nobody else has either of those.
Excuse me and now I'll go back to the work I am about to do. The support is to tie the drip rail to the inner fender well and needs to go far enough forward to pickup the engine grill support. It's in the way of the plenum and would block some airflow.
I have laid out some lines for the plenum on the fire walls and the inner fender well to see where the bottom of the plenum will set so I can see what needs to be moved. The passenger side is pretty clean but I'll have to move the breather and the crankcase vent hose on the driver's side but think it will be good with just a little plumbing.
Does anyone know how much the engine rocks side to side. I believe that I need to have something flexible in the bottom of the plenum around the base of the carbs. I was thinking that it would move the most during down shifts into 2nd.

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Re: flexible sealing around the plenum - you'll definitely want to do that. I haven't measured engine movement, but do have some pretty close clearances in a couple places. I think I have 1/4" or so clearance between my air scoop (attached to the engine in my case) and the rollbar. They never hit, so I guess that's enough.

You could probably use a rubber garage door seal to seal the airbox to the plenum. It would seal decently well and have some give to it.
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, I was thinking about making up a seal but was worried about how much it would have to travel. What I am thinking of will cover more than a half an inch.
914 Ranch
Another picture, I just finished cleaning up the base brackets and it all looks good.

914 Ranch
With quick release pins. piratenanner.gif Rest in Peace Carl.

Click to view attachment

I really like the Quick Release pins, sure makes it easy to get the Wing on and off. For more access I can pull the front pins and tilt it backwards and lay it down in the rain gutter when the trunk lid is off.

Oh my, 18,000 Views...
914 Ranch
I must apologize as I have not been able to spend much time in the shop lately. Not that I am unmotivated or lazy. It's just been too Falcon hot. I can only spend a few minutes out there before I start raining sweat. So occasionally I do use the shop for small repairs that need immediate attention. It is cooling off now as it hasn't been over 95 in 3 weeks. Next summer I will have 2 shops and they both will be climate controlled.
I am currently in ecstacy as Team NARP Headquarters is in escrow. Funny, ecstacy and escrow seem to go together so well. There is going to be enough money around to finish AR off nicely. Even the Outlaws need to have a nice finish if they be representing.
More work and pictures to come soon. I'm sure that the pics are more entertaining than my drivel.
914 Ranch
Well I really need to apologise to everyone that stoplped by in a while. It's been a long time since I have been able to spend some time with the car. The weather is cooling down and I feel that I am able to get back to work on the car. I bought a new welder and it should clean up my act as far as welding goes.
I am thinking that I would like to lose weight and improve the suspension, but for now I am going to have to learn the new welder.

Click to view attachment

Tig, Mig, Arc and a Spoolgun.
914 Ranch
1:30 am, I just got out of the garage and I'm drenched, it still to hot to get any real work done. Trying to setup the new welder but I got it on the cart. I want to weld up the seams and rivets ion the intake scoops and and tack the targa bar fairing caps in place.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Pictures not wanting to post.

Click to view attachment

Need to mod the cart, I'm going to need 2 bottles of gas on here as I want be able to switch from aluminum to steel without changing bottles. I could just hook up a bottle cause the welder dose change gas automatically but then I would have a bottle just standing there unsecured.
914 Ranch
Picked up a pickup truck for a driver and towing the car trailer. A nice Chevy Silverado 2500HD with under 120K, of course it is a Duramax. I have been driving junk so long I was afraid to go more than 15 miles from home. Watch out I just might make a Taco Tuesday. That's on my bucket list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.