Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
The Arduino board is here. Josh is trying to hook it up. I'm trying to stay out the way.

Click to view attachment

I don't expect everything to be perfect, but this is definitely progress
914 Ranch
I have seen the two barometric sensors, the air flow meter and saw all 4 motors run. I have a huge task in from of me in putting all of them away somewhere. It just feels so nice to have it all here and working.

Click to view attachment

Some of this mess goes under the dash and some in and on the air box. We can't check out the Flap at this time but as soon as I get everything tied down we will be able to do that.
This is so KOOL...
914 Ranch
Making Spaghetti. Hope I can figure all of this stuff out. When Josh said he could put an Arduino board on I had no idea what he was talking about much less how to spell Arduino. Now I'm handling the installation. This might turn out to be very embarrassing, showing me how foolish my fantasies are. But then again no one will ever be able to wipe the smile off face if this stuff works.
Going Digital....

Click to view attachment

The 2 toggle switches in the back ground are laying next to the screen and all of that goes on the dash. Thinking about mounting some magnets to the sensors and thin sheet metal where I want to get a reading from.
The plenums are on the table now.
914 Ranch
Getting everything straightened out, now I know where everything goes.
914 Ranch
So I'm trying to attach the Arduino board and power pack (the Arduino board didn't like our clean 12v supplied power). So there is a separate board too supply power to the Arduino board. I'm using a M2 x 8mm screws on the Arduino board but they are too big for the power board. I think I can make up something to clamp the board down using the M2 hardware so it should be fine. I have a correction for Josh as I want to flip that board over so the electronics are facing and the wires are pointing up.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Today I am installing the Arduino Boards. Got a problem with the small one and will probably have it worked out by this afternoon.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
So much better, and the m1 hardware is on the way.
914 Ranch
ABC,,

Click to view attachment

I.jusy wanted to see what this looks like...

Complete and udder failure
914 Ranch
I mounted the screen and the 2 circuit boards today. Now Josh gets to clean up behind me. I pulled 2 wires lose but he had a bunch of stuff that needs shortening and straighten out. Soon I will be able to test the motors for detection. I still need to make up the extensions for the sensors and place some sheet steel at the spots I want to read the sensors.

Click to view attachment

I mounted the screen to a large piece of scrap and mounted 1 of the sensors to a very small piece because they take really small screws. M1 I'm, finding that I can mount it to something that I like to work with, like 18 gauge aluminum.
Just like everything else, I have no idea what I'm going to do with the screen. But it's probably going to need a shade of some sort.
914 Ranch
This little panel is going on the dash. It contains the screen, throttle control for the fans and the controller for the Gurney Flap. We almost be Digital. Today I ran the wires for the Gurney Flap. I used a heat gun for the heat shrink and guided it through the hold down clips, so it looks clean.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Picture of the hardware that I have to use. The micro controller board uses the smaller hardware (M1) and the LCD screen uses that larger stuff (M2). The m1 is so tough to work with cause you couldn't tell if the threads were engaged.

Click to view attachment

I know that I have a lot to do here but being at this point makes me feel like end of this is near. I am currently mounting the LCD screen to the dash.
914 Ranch
Picture of the hardware that I have to use. The micro controller board uses the smaller hardware (M1) and the LCD screen uses that larger stuff (M2). The m1 is so tough to work with cause you couldn't tell if the threads were engaged.

Click to view attachment

I know that I have a lot to do here but being at this point makes me feel like end of this is near. I am currently mounting the LCD screen to the dash.
914 Ranch
So I was trying to power up the fan box and let the smoke out of the Adurino board. Fuck, now I caused a huge delay in progress but sense Josh has been learning more about the boards I get an upgrade in the computer programming that comes with much smaller boards.

Click to view attachment

I installed a piece of sheet metal on the floor of the box so I could use for a mounting point for the sensors. They each have a magnet. I want to know the air velocity and biometric pressure inside the box. Only my first curiosity, as I want to compare this to the pressure of the engine bay and under the back of the car at speed.
914 Ranch
Installed the rubber grommets in the air box this morning.

Click to view attachment

Now I need to clean up the box again and it's getting really close, really having a good time with this. I've been having a problem with some of the wires because I can't see what I am trying to crimp. So I bought a light with a magnifying glass in it. Hoping that I can get the job done.
914 Ranch
The picture I promised you. The smoke came from the top left middle, it looks a little singed

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I was trying to get some thing done and was dealing with bad weather. So I made my first mistake, I put up a table on the living room. When that project was done I took down the table and got my living room back. In a few days I wanted to do another project and it was a little bigger, so I set up 2 tables. My living room has become my shop. A/C and heat, I love it. The other day I was watching something on Starbase and I got a good view of the rocket garden. Starhopper and the later models. I looked back at the tables and I had placed a plenum on top of the air box. The plenum looked like it was built by the water tank crew. I have decided to make new plenums. The quality of my work is much better than it was when I made up the plenums.

Click to view attachment

The new plenums will be as nice as the air box.
I'm approaching 75 and those plenums have more wrinkles than I do.
914 Ranch
The plenums are under construction, the driver side base is fitted and on the car now I have to make a bend in the passenger side before I can fit it. The other day I tried to bend some aluminum angle and got good results and I think it will all be assembled with pop rivets.

Click to view attachment

The 3/4" plywood I am using as a guide while I use the shrinker and stratcher on the aluminum angly.
914 Ranch
The new plenums are coming along nicely. I can see from this picture that I have made a lot more room for the engine fan, to me it looks like it's gained a hole bunch of breathing room. We'll see when I get the plenums completed, currently we're awaiting some aluminum angle. I have everything else on hand so they should finish very quickly.

Click to view attachment

I had decided to make new patterns for the new plenums, aside from looking like they were assembled by the crew that built Starhopper. I thought they could be a little smaller, so I made up patterns from the old plenums and laid out the rain hat over holes for the carbs and made the new plenums just a little larger than the rain hat.
We'll see how it looks when I finish it.
914 Ranch
piratenanner.gif 44 THOUSAND viewers.
I need to make more of an effort for you people. I'm probably getting too much nap time.
At this time the duct work is ready but the fan box is waiting for some electronics. Both the duct and the box are looking really good. Been thinking about the exhaust system and I leaning towards megaphones and Super traps. I think that this would be quick and easy and not cost a bunch of money. I'll put the air box and the duct work back in the car. There is a bunch of stuff that I need to do under the car. So she'll be back up on the stands soon. Pictures tomorrow.
914 Ranch
The new bases for the plenums are in place, not installed. They look so much clearer it will be really nice to have them looking as clean as the air box.

Click to view attachment

Man that's going to make one badass engine bay picture...
I like the proportions of the plenums much better now.
914 Ranch
Assembling the new plenums.

Click to view attachment

I should be finished with this tonight, when it's done I'll take a picture with one of the old ones just for the smiles.
914 Ranch
This is number 2, should be done in a couple of hours.

Click to view attachment

I'll post pictures when I put it in place.
914 Ranch
The other one is ready for fitting.

Click to view attachment

I cut foam board templates for the plexiglass tops.
I am jazzed with the way that these came out.
Excuse me but they look TITS...
914 Ranch
Picture

Click to view attachment

NICE.....
914 Ranch
Deatailng the new plenums this evening, laying out the hardware and filing all the edges on all of the pieces. As all the aluminum always has an edge that seems to know I cut easy.

Click to view attachment

Should be finished tomorrow. I decided to mount and wire the barometer sensor in the center of the plenum. I'd rather unplug a wire than disassemble the plenum to use the sensor somewhere else.
914 Ranch
Been trying to get something done but I just seem to be in the way. I'm happy with the new plenums and the install is going well also.

Click to view attachment

I'm batting better than 500 on the pictures. But that's only after the editing.
infraredcalvin
Looking good! Can’t tell fro the pic, looks like you’re fine, but make sure you’ve got enough distance between the top of the horns and the lid, too close and you block airflow….
914 Ranch
Thank you Pat, it has more than a rain hat all the way around and I used a rain hat for the dimensions when I did the redo of the plenums. Rain hats have 3" inside them and the plenums have 4".
This is definitely the hardest ( physically) thing that I have done to the car. Way to much bending over. My back is giving me 7 & 8's. It's just a temporary thing, in a couple of days I will be back to normal, makes me want my wheelchair back. But the car is ready for start up again. And that is real progress. It sure looks BITCHIN...

Click to view attachment

My wheelchair didn't fit into the garage. Welding in the Engman stiffing kit was only hard because I had to climb over the door brace. The car was on stands and shimmed level.
914 Ranch
I thought I posted this.

Click to view attachment

Nope not a repost. Just another picture but the drivers side plenum is complete in the second one. The plexiglass and the screws are in.
Like I said, looks pretty cool to me.
OK look, so this car puts a smile on my face. biggrin.gif
914 Ranch
Rain hat with an air filter inside the old plenum.

Click to view attachment

Yes, this is a much better picture.
914 Ranch
So Pat got my curiosity going and I just had to know. The clearance between the violosity stacks and the ceiling of the rain hat is an inch and a half, the clearance of the stacks and the ceiling inside the plenums is two and an eight. It's more than I thought.
infraredcalvin
Ahhh much better pic, that should be plenty of room. I’ve always thought scooping air from the sails is a much more elegant solution than adding a scoop from the top a la GT1…. Haven’t seen too many sail scoops though…

As mentioned in another thread, glad this makes you happy, that’s what this is all about!
914 Ranch
Thanks again Pat.
Second, HAPPY NEW YEAR...
Third, I got start up today...
Tumultuous times, screw that, I have a great start on the year and I'll go directly forward. Tomorrow I will have the car out and be able to clean up the trailer and car. Oh boy another photo opp.
914 Ranch
Working on mounting the front turn signal lights. It's an 1157 mounted in a flash light reflector in a piece of aluminum. Weight is about 4 oz.

Click to view attachment

914 Light got nothing on me.
914 Ranch
Driving light.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
I've been looking at some stuff to hold the wire looms in place and I am not really happy with the plastic clips that I have been installing on the car. What I'm looking at right now is magnets held in place with heat shrink.

Click to view attachment

Installing the looms with a heat gun I can make them lay petty much anywhere I want. If one magnet won't hold it in place I can easily add another magnet, like on that connector.
914 Ranch
Looking at board that I mounted the screen for the Arduino board I wasn't happy with, so I made a new one. And as with all my small projects it is much better than the first one.
I'm also doing a smoke generator.

Click to view attachment

There ya go, another lousy picture. Sorry I'll do something about it later.
914 Ranch
Another try.

Click to view attachment

Better, I'm leaving the earlier one up.
914 Ranch
So today I did the finishing on the mount for the Arduino board screen. It looks great and I got the speed control to have zero straight up and the other 2 switch's are for the Gurney Flap and the power to the screen. Just about ready for installation.
914 Ranch
A

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Tonight I have been working on the wiring behind the Arduino board screen which controls the fan motors and the Gurney Flap.

Click to view attachment

This is a bunch of spaghetti and needs to be trimmed down to a manageable state. I think that before I am through here that all the connectors and most of the wiring will be changed. poke.gif
914 Ranch
Well I'm about to start hanging wire all over the car. I like heat shrinking the wires because it covers all of the wire colors and that helps with making the car look less cluttered. My problem is that I wired the car for the street and it's probably not going to see much time on the streets. I was thinking that if I get serious about racing I can easily pull all the lights and switches out of the car.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Ahhh!!!

Click to view attachment

So this is what I want to do for the easy removal of the wires and lights. I think that the weight of the the electrical components weight is about 20 pounds.
914 Ranch
Ahhh!!!

Click to view attachment

So this is what I want to do for the easy removal of the wires and lights. I think that the weight of the the electrical components is about 20 pounds. The magnets hold the small wires in place nicely. And if I need more holding power I just add more magnets.
euro911
Hey Joe ... check your message inbox type.gif
914 Ranch
Thanks Mark, good to hear from you.
I have the dash out and am stripping out the electrical components, lights, wiring and switches. I'm putting it all in a bag and I'll weigh it when I'm done.

Click to view attachment

A new oil pressure gauge.

914 Ranch
I almost feel like a have been sinning. Working on the car and not writing. Got some good progress though. Much less clutter under the dash. I need to move tie down on the battery and make a few more connections in the dash (2 warning lights) and I can try start up. That always makes me smile.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Lots of progress but I still have a few circuits to remove. The dash is looking much cleaner. I broke one of the mirrors and have to replace it so that gives me the opportunity to add another mirror to the center of the dash.

Click to view attachment

In the picture you can see that I mounted the LED screen. It still needs to be wired in. I probably have another day removing wires, I can't wait to see how much weight I am removing from the car.
914 Ranch
I've got all this stuff going on with the dashboard and I'm sure you'll remember that I broke one of the mirrors. Well I ordered a new pair and decided to mount the unbroken one to the center of the dash. Which will require a pedestal mount as the dash is 3" lower than the firewall.

Click to view attachment

In mounting the mirror I'll need to shim the cowling off the 914 cowling.
914 Ranch
Picture from the driving position.

Click to view attachment

I also have one from my the front of the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.