Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
I made pizza, I buy a medium pizza and then I put about 2 pounds of stuff on it. Maybe it's more like 3 pounds.
914 Ranch
Getting ready to apply some color on some parts. We'll see how badly this goes.

Click to view attachment

Looks like I'm not going to get any color on before the viewers hit 60K.
914 Ranch
Now in full living colors.

Click to view attachment

Still drying so don't want to move it yet. Really want to see it in the daylight.
I like it and it got color before this thread got to 60,000 viewers.
914 Ranch
I'm sitting here in my living room watching the fresh paint on the front wing off gassing.

Click to view attachment

Too wet to mess with, really risky bringing it on here. Riskier leaving it outside. It looks like rain.
914 Ranch
My Golf colors...

Click to view attachment

Can't wait to see it in the sunlight.
Maltese Falcon
"Plays with Food" Chef Sharp pizza looking good ! my 10 minute garage pizza:
Dave's Killer Bread, 6-cheese (Kroger) marinara, roast beef & swiss + side of corn chowtime.gif
then back to work marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Thank you Marty, replies from you always puts a smile on my face.

Click to view attachment

I only posted this picture to edit it. Man did it need it. When I started the rework of the car I thought it needed about 15 pounds of more weight on the front end. Unknown to me the car had some camber left in the suspension but all of that is mute now that I'm doing a complete front suspension change. This could go on forever, probably what's keeping me alive like O'l Lady Winchester, but she died too.
That is the 15 pounds I was looking for. Plus about 60 pounds of down force if the wing works.
914 Ranch
I've been doing more work on the lawnmower seat. I just finished cutting the material down to fit the modified fixture. The seat behind it is now being used by Diesel as his chair. That chair has very bad aerodynamics and weighs way too much. I call it an elefawntay.
Does anybody see a Speedster seat in that piece of aluminum?

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Rough shape of the "Speedster seat" going on the lawnmower. I like the proportion of it better than the previous bending of this piece of aluminum. It was way to big after trimming this seat will appear much more petite.

Click to view attachment

I think the finished seats will weigh in at under 4 pounds. To me thats wonderful. Before when I raced the car with PCA South Coast Region I had been feeding them for 4 years. But they didn't remember eating lunch on me. As a matter of fact a guy in 912 that probably has more money in his 912 than most of the 911 owners. I guess if it wasn't a Porsche part he didn't want to pay for it.
The first time I raced the car at the end of the day I was 2/3's of the way through the pack.
They didn't like a purpose built Volkswagen on THEIR course. Some of the 911 owners got down right unfriendly.
914 Ranch
I'm hoping you'll be able to see this. As it's all really only my imagination. I used an 8" radius for the 3 curves. I love it.

Click to view attachment

Gosh, I have to make a pattern...
Excuse me, that's bitchen. To
914 Ranch
I think I can call this proof of concept. It's just the right size, fits me perfectly.

Click to view attachment

I just finished filling the outer edges. I have to figure out how I want to put in the rivets and stand for the base.
sixnotfour
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif
914 Ranch
Yeah I like it too... Trying to work out the padding. I don't like trying to line up all the blocks with square corners. I think a radio and a little spacing would be easier to arrange and look cleaner.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
I'm really looking forward to the padding because that's what makes it resemble the early Porsche race car seats. Currently I'm trying to find a way to round the corners as almost everything you touch to the rubber grabs it. Even my hot wire foam cutter does not treat it well. Causing waves and peaks that can't be sanded out.
914 Ranch
Coming along sorta. The pads are just taped in place. But I like the pattern and don't mind the corners.

Click to view attachment

Does anyone else see a resemblance to an early Speedster seat?
914 Ranch
With everything except the trim and base mount, it's done. Next thing I need to do is make the pattern from this chair.

Click to view attachment

This chair is for my Deere, Diesel distorted the one on it .
914 Ranch
I was unhappy with the action of the Gurney flap on the rear wing. It was stiff and a slight bind in one spot, that meant to me that it wasn't straight. Looking very close I found the spot that needed to be relieved. Fixed the spot and now the flap is a little slow but I believe that after a little use it will be fine. It looks so much better.
914 Ranch
I was unhappy with the action of the Gurney flap on the rear wing. It was stiff and a slight bind in one spot, that meant to me that it wasn't straight. Looking very close I found the spot that needed to be relieved. Fixed the spot and now the flap is a little slow but I believe that after a little use it will be fine. It looks so much better.

Click to view attachment

It's going to take me awhile to get everything repaired and reassembled so I'll post better pictures later.
914 Ranch
Today I finally made the pattern for the race car seats. I took an impression of the seat because I knew it wasn't symmetrical folded it in half and cut the pattern from the side I liked best.
Remember this is my imitation of a Speedsters seat. I had a lot of help from Ron Covell on Utube.

The pattern
Click to view attachment

I picked a very poor paper so I need to get it glued down to sometime more substantial.
914 Ranch
This morning I am watching the launch and I received an epiphany regarding the diffuser. I have been worrying about the mounting for the front of it. The muffler is in the way of doing any mock up as I have a stock 911 muffler on there. Came with the motor. (T-40 and holding) I'm going to use the muffler bracket to mount the front of the diffuser. WOW! They blew up the booster as soon as the rocket was clear.

What a KOOL day.
914 Ranch
I must apologize for my lack of progress here as I have been trying to recover from a back problem. I have been able to do some small stuff but I have not been able to get under the car so I have cleared a space on the patio and I can get the car jacked up there. She is overdue for an oil change and at the same time I can hook up the oil cooler lines. Pull the muffler and check out the path of the diffuser. The nice thing about having the Arduino board on board is the ability to use biometric sensors, I can put them anywhere. Having the sensors in the car will probably burst my bubble but it will be interesting
Thank all y'all
Trying to get back on track
Joe
stownsen914
Back problems suck, get better soon Joe
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, I'm trying to not do anything that involves bending over. So not much progress on the car. Right now I need to get some fuel so I can bring her out of the trailer. One of her needs is an oil change, while I'm in there I'll start looking at what it's going to take to get the diffuser started. I've got a pretty good idea what's going to be needed and how to assemble it. New mufflers, straight megaphones with Supper Traps. Can't wait, need to get the car up on the stands.
914 Ranch
I've been thinking about the diffuser so I stole some stuff off of a drawing that I have no idea who drew. But it gave me the information that I needed. I will get the actual dimensions when I get under the car.

Click to view attachment

I'm surprised how well that came out.
914 Ranch
I needed a light box to make the drawing. I put a piece of plexiglass between the table and the desk and then added a light.

Click to view attachment

It almost evolved into a 2' x 4' fluorescent ceiling style fixture but I managed to reel myself back in when I saw the piece of plexi. I hardly ever practice the KISS system
914 Ranch
Before I can cut any metal for the diffuser I need accurate measurements and to get them I have to get the car back up on the stands. I'm at the point where I can move the car to the patio. I've had her there before, so no big deal. Somehow things never go as I thought they would.
stownsen914
Joe - cool you're building a diffuser. Are you anticipating it being a functional one, or more of a bodywork thing?

I put one on the 914 racecar a few years ago, and went kinda whole hog about it. Lots of work.
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, I have been doing a lot of reading and studying on the tube. I believe that it will function better than the wing. I'm hoping to eliminate the wing at the same time reducing drag under the car. That's the only reason I am making the effort. So aluminum from front to rear. The most interesting thing that I found was from the Chaparral museum site on Jim Halls Indy car, most innovative it had the nicest under tray. I'm not ready to try to skirt the edges of the bottom yet. At this time I'm going use the long seam as my perimeter for now stopping at the engine bay. Won't know what I'm doing at the front of the car till I get there.
65,000 viewers WOW!!!!
914 Ranch
What the fuck Joe, get with the program. A thousand viewers between my post's. Well I'm doing stuff like trying to find some latches for the diffuser really the name of the company that makes them is Professional Awesome Racing. Neat latches, they also have some adjustable splitter support rods that are compressible. I have also been researching Duzs fasteners. I had used some on a dune buggy years ago but I needed to bring me up to date. Building the flat bottom isn't going to be easy as it will require a lot of reaching to get the fasteners in the center of the car. The flat bottom is about to get started and I have a handle on the diffuser.

Click to view attachment

My approach is to anchor the spring to the bottom side of the raised sections of the floor.
stownsen914
Finally saw your response. So you are flat bottoming the car front to back? This is pretty much what you need to smooth out all the protrusions under there, otherwise the diffuser won't have a good stream of air to do its thing.

Agreed the underbody can do as much (or more) than a wing if done well.

I haven't worked on the 914 in a few years as I've been tied up with other projects, but I'd like to do some data acquisition to see what the aero is really doing. I got some ride height sensors that could be used to infer download. In my dreams I'd love to do CFD if/when it becomes more available to the masses.

If you're up for some more reading, consider Racecar Aerodynamics by Joseph Katz. I found it really helpful when I was planning my underbody aero.
914 Ranch
Thanks again Scott, one more time you are making me think deeper than I thought was possible. I'll have a copy of Joe Katz book next week. I've been thinking about the under tray for weeks now and I'm surprised at some of the things I can see right in front of me. Both the GT4 and my '15 Chevy 2500HD have flaps in front of the rear tires. The skirts on Chaparral's Indy car came down the sides and turned in, in front of the rear tires.
In my dreams I would like to have the chassis raked to at least an inch at the firewall. Aft of that it looks pretty clean back to the collectors, which is the lowest part of the car. Still gathering materials but I'm always doing something to occupy myself and seek gratification somewhere. Currently doing some repairs on the rear wing.

Click to view attachment

I'm repairing it because of the depth of adjustability. The rear wing has 4 positions, with the flap straight, in the middle and all the way up and the wing removed. Balancing the car should be fun.
914 Ranch
Repairs on the rear wing are completed, put in a new hinge and it works much better than the old one. Also reglued the frame (formers to the skin) trying to get some of the rigidity back. It's all good now. Still need to install and tune the servo for the Gurney flap. While doing all this I splashed some alcohol on the wing and when I went to wipe it up it took the paint down to the primer. So I'm done with duplicolor, I had a hard time getting colors from them. I was under the impression that duplicolor had all the necessary products to give me a complete paint job under one label. Now I'm looking at Eastwood.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Installed the servo for the Gurney flap with a new servo cover and linkage wire. The new hinge works great.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
The rear wing is back on the car it really looks good and I'm working so hard to make it obsolete. My heart tells me that it will look cleaner running without the wings.

Click to view attachment

stownsen914
Joe - one of the things the Katz book emphasizes is how the wings help activate underbody aero. So they work together. Particularly a well placed rear wing. Similar to how a flap on a two stage wing operates.
914 Ranch
Once again Thanks Scott, I have to that I am sorry because I didn't get to order Katz's book because I spent too much money over at Professional Awesome for the brackets that want to use. These are trick. I was looking for them for about 10 months. They only had 3 latches so I bought them all.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I use most of my brain time fantasizing about teeners. If I didn't the car would look like NICE 914. I would be board and frustrated. I get a lot of gratification from the results of my efforts just from seeing what the fuck I just did. Yep, I said it.
I have been trying to get to the diffuser as that's the first part of the under tray. It goes on top of the one in front of it for over lap. The hardware I picked up is Awesome. Just playing with it makes me smile.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Picture of a line drawing. I started it trying to clean up some details on the diffuser.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I used a stretcher to get the shape of the diffuser from the strakes pattern. Now I have the shape of the diffuser in aluminum. I'll need 8, one for each strake. All the same shape the difference will only show up in the length of the front edge. I'm going to leave the top and front edge long so I can finish them up during installation.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
I was very uncomfortable when I was taking this picture but it's only ok.

Click to view attachment

This is a good pattern the only difference will be the length of the front end, that will cause the curvature of the rear. The diffuser will be 22" x 48" and I believe 8 strakes. The 22" gives me an inch at each end and the 48" fits between the tires.
Oh and 68,000 viewers. WOW....
914 Ranch
From the body too the muffler bracket the shape of the rear diffuser. The foam board is the shape of the skrake and the piece of aluminum is 3/4x3/4x1/16 shaped by my shrinker and stretcher.

Click to view attachment

I like the shape and it clears the muffler and it points at the flat bottom of the bottom of the interior.
sixnotfour
Cant Waite to see, more
914 Ranch
Yeah, I want to see more too. I've been getting brackets and patterns together for the assembly of a buck of sorts. I'm going to attempt to make the diffuser in the shape of the rear of the car without the bumper or moldings. I stole that shape from the rear edge of the trunk hood. The back edge is going to be a problem but like everything else I'll handle it when I get there.

Click to view attachment

Gathering pieces.
914 Ranch
Just another picture...

Click to view attachment

More bracketing, awaiting some more hardware.
914 Ranch
Cut and bent all of the supports for the strakes today. Probably layout the strakes tomorrow, then I get to build the buck.

Click to view attachment

Boy this is going to be interesting. It won't have a straight top edge.
914 Ranch
Still collecting parts, I have all the strake supports. The curved piece for the upper edge is there I won't know about mounting the quick release latches until I have the diffuser ready to fit. Just about time to cut some metal.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
In this picture the brass coupling will accept a10 bolt which is what I'm using for exhaust flange to muffler bracket. I need to change out 2 of the existing bolts for some about an inch longer.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
WOW, 69 THOUSAND Viewers.
I wish I was as hardware rich as The man Master Musk. I only have a bunch of scrap to draw from. But I am flowing his pattern on iterations. On my third for this bracket

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
My dilemma is with the location of the brackets. Inside or outside of the exhaust system. The brace across the leading edge will be riveted to the skin of the diffuser about an inch from the leading edge. What I would like to do is flange the leading edge to go over the panel in front of it. I just bought a new bead roller from Eastwood. I really wanted a 30" combo slip roller, shear brake but I ran out of money. The bead roller will give me the flange I want at the top of the diffuser which is a compound curve.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Exhaust muffler flange bolt.

Click to view attachment

Now I'm going to make sure it.fits.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.