Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
I have been trying to recover from my back being out and a head cold but the New Year is upon us and I tend to be able to get some energy from that. So with the new compressor and welder powered up I have a new learning curve coming at me. The machine is a Miller Multimatic 220. It has Arc, Mig, Tig and a spool gun. Which I have never seen in use. It should be fun figuring out how it all works. It switches automatically between Mig and Tig by triggering the the gun or stepping on the foot pedal. And the only other thing I know about it is that it has power. I'm going to hook up the wire feed first cause I need to do the patch from the trunk lock and tack in the grills in. Then I can locate the radiators and install the brackets. At that point I will be able to start making up the hoses.
Shivers
Wow, the welder sounds awesome. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours, Joe. @914 Ranch
stownsen914
Sounds like a sweet welding setup, had to google that. MIG and TIG in one machine, hadn't heard of that before. Now I'm jealous!
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott, I was using the MIG today practicing spot welding so I can weld in the grills on the oil cooler. This machine is much easier than my Lincoln 100 and does a much clearer weld. Almost makes me look good.

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
Im ready for a new tig machine, Times have changed 100%

914 Ranch
I have not tried the TIG as of yet but the change from TIG to MIG with out going to the machine is really neat. Miller has been making the 220 for about 3 years now so there are probably some options I don't know about. After I bought my Lincoln mig I became a Miller fan but I should have bought a larger plasma cutter.
I like the adjustable of the 220 because I get settings from the machine and can slow it down or speed it up depending on how it is working. Can't wait to try the spool gun.
I ordered material for the flat bottom today. I know, I know, off on another tangent. I have mentioned this before and I know that this will only lead me to something else like a defuser but there is more stuff in the way of completing the car. Right off the top of my head is rear axle hub to hub and the front suspension is not finished. I need to move her from the trailer to the garage for some grinding and welding hopefully I can get all of that done today.

Click to view attachment

Picture is only here to get me to move the car. Welder doesn't reach out here.
914 Ranch
Got the grills welded in and clamped the radiators in place. Kinda like it.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Another picture

Click to view attachment

Still can't see anything but it is good progress.
914 Ranch
Back in the trailer again.

Click to view attachment

The grills worked out fine l really like the spacing. The box still needs some work. The hose is ordered but I'm still counting connectors.
914 Ranch
Almost ready to make up the hoses.

Click to view attachment

I still need 2 more fittings but I'm not sure what they are yet.
Might have to put in some 90's° in the corner of the trunk.
Ordered the 90's° and the fittings, it will be a few days.
Shivers
Dang, looks good Joe
914 Ranch
Thanks again, got the first hose done really is satisfying to see even though you won't be able to when it's complete.

Click to view attachment

I did the smallest one because if I screwed it up it wasted the least amount of hose. The 90's and 4 straight connectors should be here today. So if all goes well I believe that I can make up the hoses all the way to the thermostat. That'll leave me just 2 hoses left but I still have no idea what to expect for there termination.
914 Ranch
I am truly sorry about being absent from the most important thing in my life. The car and of course All y'all. I have been in and out of bed for the last 3 weeks and I seem to be able to start back to life again.
At my worst my brother brought a home self test kit. Which turned out to be my turning point. For sure because when I opened the instructions and just got confused, so looking at the instructions as I couldn't comprehend them so then I turned them right side up and was no less confused. Call to my buddy Josh. He just laughed and 15 minutes later we are waiting for results which came out negative.
Nothing to do but go forward....
I guess the next thing is to primer the grills and do the hoses in the back of the car.
It feels good just to be sending this.
914 Ranch
Gotta striped SS screw. Need to do some better prep work so my job is easier.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Gaining some ground on the fun stuff feels really good. But all of this is probably going to be interrupted. Today I am going to see if I can fix a smoker and see if I can make it work. If I can make it work correctly I may go to work there as a BBQ cook. My BBQ chicken is done in 1:45. You can be early but don't be late.
914 Ranch
So I actually did something to the car today. I bent the cover to the air box on the oil cooler.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Another picture...

Click to view attachment

I ordered a nibbler to cut the holes with and I am planning on putting the end caps in with flathead rivets, like every 2".
As it turns out every 1.25" inches. I'm gunna need some more rivets.
914 Ranch
Ordered another 100 rivets.
Tried bending an edge flange for the side. I'm happy.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
@914 Ranch

Coming along. Nibbler was nice to get close and finish with the wiss. Can't say how many times those crescent moon nibbles got me, they end up in some of the most peculiar places. Have fun Joe!
914 Ranch
Well this is going on also.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
That's OK cause there is another picture available.

Click to view attachment

Almost done...
914 Ranch
Number 3 should be done in the early AM. So l should have all 4 by 4:20 tomorrow afternoon. I ordered a circle cutter for the fans holes today and it should arrive by Tuesday. It's so nice to have progress on this.
914 Ranch
3 of the 4 bells and the last one is in the printer now. It will be done sometime around 5pm today. The propeller on the last bell on the right is installed and clearanced. I can't wait to hear all 4 of these babies pushing air.

Click to view attachment

I still need hardware to mount the motors to the bells and the bells to the plenum.
Shivers
That printing is very cool. I would have been baking PVC pipe for the flare and sanding it down thin. Would have been done by August. wink.gif
914 Ranch
Yeah, I could never have made up the bell. I could have done the tube but after that I'm done. Sure it took some time to sort out the machine but it got done and I am happy.
The propeller touches some spots on the wall of the tube. Same place on all of them. So I'm cleaning up the surfaces with a file. Oh and breaking the lip at the bottom of the bell. Just like you were porting them.

Click to view attachment

I hope you can see this.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Mar 6 2022, 08:27 AM) *

Yeah, I could never have made up the bell. I could have done the tube but after that I'm done. Sure it took some time to sort out the machine but it got done and I am happy.
The propeller touches some spots on the wall of the tube. Same place on all of them. So I'm cleaning up the surfaces with a file. Oh and breaking the lip at the bottom of the bell. Just like you were porting them.

I hope you can see this.

They look awesome! I think that is probably the best thing about printing your parts. Where mine would function, yours will look factory. Next time emboss your own made up 914 part number on it. laugh.gif
914 Ranch
The 4 bells are complete and the propellers are clrearenced.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
And

Click to view attachment

Gosh that was quick...
914 Ranch
Finished up the end caps on the air box. I have all the rivets and have done lay out but I am expecting some new tools on Friday, They should make cutting the holes easy and do precise lay out for the rivets and screws.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Wow, this is a milestone for me. And I finished installing the last bell at 4. That's 4 bells for me. I still have to cope in the air box around the tail lights and clean up the box but once that's done I get to finish the hoses.
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Another picture.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
So with all the fans going at once, with the extra thrust what do you think, maybe 10 mph faster? wink.gif
914 Ranch
Hey Bud, the 2 giant fans on the Chaparral fan car got Jim Hall to 25 mph, but I don't think that they will move this car unless it's pointed down hill. Too much junk in the trunk in the way, radiators and grill work.
914 Ranch
Currently I am installing the panel that goes under the air box. I have the panel held in place with cleko clips so I can remove it for fitting during the installation. I'm trying to move the air box as far to the rear of trunk as possible because there is a little lip there and I can use it for attaching the top of the air box to it.

Click to view attachment

The rear panel on the trunk of the car has an arc with a radius of over 20'. So since I can't replicate it I'm going to take an impression of the curve in foam board.
914 Ranch
Since the rear of the car has a curve in it I can't just cut the panel off. It needs to be scribed to the body, but there is no room to do that. So I'm getting my cut line from the holes for the fasteners. We'll see how that goes.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Since the rear of the car has a curve in it I can't just cut the panel off. It needs to be scribed to the body, but there is no room to do that. So I'm getting my cut line from the holes for the fasteners. We'll see how that goes.

Click to view attachment

You are barely able to see a line of 5 holes in between the clamps. The surface I am clamping to is a rolled lip. I'm drilling from the outside through the center of the lip. I may have to roll the edge of panel before I am done.
914 Ranch
The air plenum for the oil cooler is in place for the first time. That just means it fits where it is supposed to. Really good to have it there.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I cut it down an inch so it would fit between the tail light brackets and made up 2 new end caps and it went right in.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Finished the bottom plate and did the final fitting on the air box.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Another view.

Click to view attachment

Now I can get back to the radiators and hoses.
914 Ranch
All of this is lose as I didn't have the hardware to finish it correctly.

Click to view attachment

Trying to figure out where to put the Mocal thermal controller.. Right now I can do the 2 coming from the radiators to the 90° in the corner but I need to locate the Mocal to go any further.
914 Ranch
Another picture of today.

Click to view attachment

Going to be fun wiring them in. RC airplane parts for the controller and a potentiometer on the dash. Looks neat anyway.
914 Ranch
Finished the fit of the air box and fastened it in place.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Finished the brackets and got the location for the Mocal today. All the hardware is there but there is a small clearance issue that I will handle before I do the hoses. Now I can make up 4 hoses. All very small.

Click to view attachment

Shivers
Coming out nice Joe
914 Ranch
Thanks man, today I got some hoses done.

Click to view attachment

I cut another hose but ran out of time and didn't get the fittings done.
914 Ranch
The air box is in it's place.

Click to view attachment

I need to make some corrections as one of fans has some bad wiring and a fan housing is broken. We had just printed a replacement housing and it is rough and in need of detailing. I still need a couple of fittings to tie in to the oil system. I think I may have to pull the oil tank to make the connection. So as usual I still have a ways to go before I can fire her up.
914 Ranch
Moving right along now, yeah right... Today I cleaned up all the edges of the air box in preparation for graining in an effort to remove some of the scratches in the aluminum. The box itself looks much better but I don't think that it shows up in the picture.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Another picture Good God,,, 34,000 viewers, hard to believe that I checked in that many times.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
So I got distracted by Diesel, a new dog. A male 3 month old XL Bully. He is learning to be part of the family.

Click to view attachment

I think he is about 40 pounds now and I have expectations that he will weigh more than 165, which is what his daddy weighs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.