Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
So I have been working on the front of the car screwing the wing mounting brackets to the body. Now that that is done I would like to finish the plenums. Just a little spot here and there. It's just that it would be nice to have something else completed and then get back into the wiring. I'm just about ready to put her back in the trailer.

914 Ranch
Yesterday I was working on the plenums, doing a once over the seams with the spot welder and it stopped working on me. The last weld had an awful lot of sparks around the area that I was working on. I had the welder apart to aline the tongs and I may not have tightened it up enough. So before I start today I have to go through the welder and clean up all the contact locations to eliminate any reason the voltage drop at the tongs. We will see how that goes. Should that go well I can put them back in and button all of that up.
Then I can have a photo opportunity. Gosh that will put a smile on my face. I'm going to do this at an undisclosed location (in front of my house) on the street. The only good level spot around here.
We should go over 25,000 viewers today or tomorrow. The perfect time for a bunch of pictures and another Thank You for everyone that has come by this thread.
25,000, WOW...
914 Ranch
I got the car reassembled today but I am losing light so start up and pictures will have to be tomorrow. Everything looks really good can't wait to look at her outside. Almost no one has seen the car in person except Vegas Racer and he said "It looks better in person than it does in a picture." Well tomorrow is another day maybe I should take her down to the River.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
TOTAL Failure at the front wing wheels. As I was trying to put her in the trailer yesterday I heard a terrible noise and she got stopped in her tracks. So I backed up and got out to go see what damage I had done. The end plates had contacted the ramp and didn't like the hinge or the plywood on the ramp. No damages to anything just a lot of noise. Apparently the wheels need to be much ferrthur forward, a little more than an inch. Apparently the end plates don't like to be pushed around. Pics after daylight.

914 Ranch
Sorry about the delays in finishing up the pictures of AR as I took a vacation. Currently I am in the BVI's doing a bit of sailing and swimming. And trying not to get sunburned. I should be home in a couple of days and finish the corrections on the front wing.

The raw natural beauty of The Baths.
Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Cheeseburger in Paradise...

Click to view attachment

I can't wait to to get back to work on AR.
Oh and by the way traveling during Covid SUCKS...
euro911
Best not to drop your BVDs in the BVIs right now, Joe sheeplove.gif ... some of them virgins may have covid, ya know rolleyes.gif

infraredcalvin
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Apr 28 2021, 02:24 AM) *

TOTAL Failure at the front wing wheels. As I was trying to put her in the trailer yesterday I heard a terrible noise and she got stopped in her tracks. So I backed up and got out to go see what damage I had done. The end plates had contacted the ramp and didn't like the hinge or the plywood on the ramp. No damages to anything just a lot of noise. Apparently the wheels need to be much ferrthur forward, a little more than an inch. Apparently the end plates don't like to be pushed around. Pics after daylight.

I’ve wanted to say this ever since I read about your idea of the retractable wing. I was hoping I was wrong, but this incident has me concerned.

I’d look really hard at what that wing might do at speed if/when getting hung up. It’ll lift the car and fold underneath causing all sorts of havoc to the car, you, and most likely bystanders. I think the test on the plywood should be a wake up call that anything taller than the wheel clearance will be an issue. As autocross locations become more difficult to find, the quality of road decreases.

I’ve seen cracks and transitions in pavement at several local events that appear to be taller than the skid clearance you have.

Perhaps a modified bottom plate shape might help the end plates be more like a skid vs a hang up point. I also keep thinking about that plastic material they use to easily slide furniture around maybe some sort of adaptor, that can be swapped out as it grinds down... they have lip protectors for modern super cars that operate on same principle.

poke.gif sorry rant over, I saw your problem before it occurred and didn’t say anything, I just want to offer my thoughts in case of building a better mousetrap.

Ok I’ll shut up and watch silently now...
914 Ranch
Today I was working on the wheels on the front wing. I moved them up and forward which put them completely over the front and bottom of the end plates. The end plates have small scratches on the bottom front where they contacted the plywood and the plywood has what looks like skid marks and the hinge is only scratched. It's raining now so no pics.
I installed the wing back on AR.
914 Ranch
I was putting her back in the trailer and ran out of fuel. So I took this pic of where the scraping is coming from.

Click to view attachment

From the beginning of the brackets I knew that the end plates would be holding the wing up over speed bumps but this had not occurred to me. It is why I made the end plates out of 1/4 instead of something smaller. We'll see how it goes.
Without the wheels or the pivots it probably would have bent something.
914 Ranch
New seatbelts. Thanks Scott.

Click to view attachment

Reassembly tomorrow.
stownsen914
Lookin' good Joe!

For the front wing, is there a way to put wheels on the back side of the wing? Or at least some sacrificial skid material like plastic or jabrock?
914 Ranch
Thanks Scott @stownsen914 , already done, did it right after I took that picture. Now 4 wheels under the wing. Taking a break right now after I got the seats back in. Pictures later today.

Click to view attachment

New rearset wheels.
rhodyguy
Can you get away with just taking some material off of the rear bottom radius of the end plates? Doesn't look like you need much room.
914 Ranch
Hey Kevin, I probably could have but I think that this would be easier as I didn't have to remove the end plates.
New seatbelts ready for fit testing.

Click to view attachment

Adjusting them is a pain in the ass so I hope that they fit correctly now. Then I can hot knife off the excess straps.
914 Ranch
Well I finally got it correctly adjusted. I had to pull the driver 3 times to get it right but now it's comfy.

Click to view attachment

I know that this photo looks just like the one above but the drivers seat is about 4" closer to the firewall and the belts have been adjusted.
There is still a few little things that I need to attend to but she is getting closer everyday.
914 Ranch
The pictures Scott @stownsen914 and a few others have been waiting so patiently for.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Still needs a lot of work but I really wanted to see her on the pavement too.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
At least I got some pictures for you finally.

Click to view attachment

She is going back up on the stands for some suspension work and the rear wheel bearings and new wheel studs.
euro911
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ May 31 2021, 09:16 AM) *

Thanks Scott, already done, did it right after I took that picture. Now 4 wheels under the wing. Taking a break right now after I got the seats back in. Pictures later today.

Click to view attachment

New rearset wheels.
I was thinking the same thing idea.gif - then I scrolled down and saw you already done-did it.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jun 7 2021, 05:02 AM) *

Still needs a lot of work but I really wanted to see her on the pavement too.

Click to view attachment

I'm reading about this car and thinking, 'Who is this 914 ranch guy?' hahahaha...Hi Joe!
That is a wild set of wings, can't wait to see how they perform. And I really dig the rims. Hope all is well over there.
914 Ranch
QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 9 2021, 10:07 AM) *

I'm reading about this car and thinking, 'Who is this 914 ranch guy?' hahahaha...Hi Joe!
That is a wild set of wings, can't wait to see how they perform. And I really dig the rims. Hope all is well over there.

Thanks, everything is good out here. Turning 73 this week and heading out for the Route 66 next week in this.

Click to view attachment

Going to be in Ca for a few days as I need to see some relatives. I believe I will be staying in San Juan Capistrano.
914 Ranch
Wow, 26,000 viewers. Thank all y'all so very much. I really appreciate that.
Shivers
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jun 9 2021, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 9 2021, 10:07 AM) *

Thanks, everything is good out here. Turning 73 this week and heading out for the Route 66 next week in this.

Click to view attachment

Going to be in Ca for a few days as I need to see some relatives. I believe I will be staying in San Juan Capistrano.

Pretty Girl You have fun Joe
914 Ranch
Haven't had any time to do much more than look at her lately but I managed to get some in the last few days. I needed to loo at the front suspension to be sure that the A arms were inline with one and another. Got to look last night and it was much better than I expected. They are parallel and at the same height in the frame. She had an off-road excursion that left me a little worried. Now after looking I feel much better. I'm about to bleed the brakes which is the next to the last thing I have to do before I can think about using her. I still need to go through the rear axles and replace the wheel studs. The front studs are OK but the tests need to be longer. At my current pace all this should be done within the year. Hopefully I can find a way to get more motivated about her and finish her enough to go Auto crossing.
Yesterday I went to an auto cross school in the GT4 and had a wonderful time. Which gave me the motivation to look at the front suspension and bleed the brakes.
The GT4 is a wonderful car to autocross.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Haven't had any need for a double post. I'll find something to put in here.
914 Ranch
I bled the brakes today. One more step in the right direction. Probably put her in the trailer tomorrow.

914 Ranch
Yep, she's in her trailer and I'll be able to get some of her needs taken care of there. I just got some new front turn signal lenses and with the new head lights I can finish the front lights and wiring. It will be nice to have her drivable even if it's only in a parking lot.
Gonna have to do a little paint repair also. I think that the only thing left to do will be the rear axle, wheel studs and CV joints.
This almost makes me feel like I might even have a chance to drive her this year.
Must be time for a jsharp.gif and a MDB2.gif

27,500 viewers, I never would have thought.
I owe you people some Ribs.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Talking with a neighbor about the value of the intake and his response to me was"Let's do it digital."
So my immediate thought was Digital Pudding. I had no idea what I would do with an Arduino board and now I get to build one.
Going digital in the Plenum with 4 sensors. Atmospheric pressure, Temperature, Humidity and Wind Speed.
The parts are on order from E-bay and should be here in a couple of days. This will all be displayed in a screen on the dash.
When I originally thought of the Cold Air Intake I asked my neighbor Josh about getting some information about what is going on in the Plenum and he replied "Yes that we could do it digitaly."
If proves that it is all a failure you will see about it here first. I'm not looking for turbo like improvement I just want to give the carbs air that is cooler than the air in the engine bay. Come on, if it's 75° outside and 125° in the engine bay it will give a huge psychological advantage over what the cars weight and the wings are already doing.
Gosh, I'm thinking about paint.
914 Ranch
I haven't done anything worth writing about lately and it's really bothering me. There is a bunch of small things that I can do, so my guilt trip will be getting the better of me soon. I have a few more things that need to be out of my way and then I'll have some freedom to do what I like. Nothing gives me more gratitude than working on something as badass as this car.
Thanks for your patience and I'll try to get back on track.
Shivers
Hey Joe, been slacking here too. But tis the season to be working. Be safe
914 Ranch
And now for something completely different. Actually working on the car at this time. There is a 3D printer in the house that is currently working on a project for the car. It's printing a fan housing for an oil cooler that will be mounted in the trunk with the exhaust out the rear panel in-between the tail lights. It will take 4 fans and some duct work but I won't have to run -10 to the front of the car.
Print in progress.

Click to view attachment

This is a prototype and needs some corrections. It will take 4 fans and they push 800 Cubic feet per minute each. But that's probably not enough thrust to make the car roll.
sixnotfour
My Rear oil cooler,,exit,, and oil tank
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 12 2021, 04:25 PM) *

My Rear oil cooler,,exit,, and oil tank

@sixnotfour On our current 8gtt build , using the Aviaid 4 gallon oil tank mounted in the rear (former) trunk area; going to use your method with the accessible filler cap.
I've seen these on many '70-80's Porsche Rennwagens and seeing this on your red car Rocks !
The fiberglass trunk lid will be quite busy back there, air intakes, intercooler cut out, oil filler cap biggrin.gif

Joe...the progress is looking good !
marty914.jpg
914 Ranch
Thanks Marty, I need to make more of an effort to get to the end of some of these little projects and that will be a lot of progress.
The printer is down for the moment but I am making progress on the fan housing.

Click to view attachment

The radiators should be here by Thursday and I am hoping that the motors arrive here by then.
Don't mind the pun.
Kool project.
sixnotfour
WoW Very COOL..
914 Ranch
The printer is still waiting on parts but the motors are in. Now we know how long to make the tube and where we putting the propeller. We're making some corrections to the part and learning about the printer.
More pictures.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
And this

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
The radiators have arrived, need to start getting ready for the hoses.
Personal I believe that a serious Autocross car doesn't need much of a cooler because it is only driven in anger for a minute at a time. Front brakes probably don't need to be vented either. Which is heavier? Vented or unvented? I really think that unvented is the way to go.

Click to view attachment

Behind the radiators is the layout for the grills. Using 4 of the side grills as I don't have a full engine cover grill to spare here. It will work. Got the mounting worked out, doing it off the shelf on the rear panel in-between the tail lights.
914 Ranch
Now you can see the layout for the grills on top of the box. I think the coolers will set a little lower in the box than this. The shelf is at the same elevation as the bottom of the hole. They will only come down about an inch.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
piratenanner.gif We got progress. The printer is up and printing parts. The bell is really nice but we're still working on it. I have been gathering parts and trying to figure out where to put the hoses and the the thermostatic controller. I still need hose and a few connectors but I am getting close. Going to need something to protect the box from the muffler heat and still need to cover the box with fiberglass. So I have a long ways to go.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
More pictures.

Click to view attachment

This is not my idea as Jim Hall and Hap Sharp had used the idea of taking the air out of the back of the car on the Chaperral 2J which was deemed illegal as it required a separate engine and me of course I am making an oil cooler. That car could lower the body 2" running the fan motor at 7K RPM. And was reported to go up to 25 MPH under the power of the fans alone.
914 Ranch
I hear the compressor calling me. It just turned itself off. Been running for around 3 hours and it's not keeping up with me. I'm cutting the holes for the exhausting air from the oil cooler.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Wow, 30,004 views. I'm taking way to much time to do this. I should have finished this long ago.
Today while I was cutting the vent holes in the back panel my compressor quit. It came to a screeching halt. So I broke out the back up and tried to give it a chance. She didn't last 10 minutes it was down below 40#. So I quit for the day and now I'm having dinner at The Saint John's River Grill. I finally am making progress and it feels good...
914 Ranch
I have another compressor just waiting to be wired, along with some other equipment that is in need of power. So I reverted back to 20 volts. The Millwakie grinder cut 4 times as fast as any of my pneumatics stuff. I have a patch to make, center of the trunk lock. Right now I am working on the screens as they are not anywhere near flat.

Click to view attachment

I always have to tell myself that this is just a race car and it only has to look good at 20'.
914 Ranch
More...

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Looks good Joe. Happy Holidays
914 Ranch
Thanks Bud, end of the day.

Click to view attachment

Tomorrow I'll start the cleaning of the holes and patch the center hole. I should be ready to weld.
sixnotfour
Very Nice...
914 Ranch
Latest picture.

Click to view attachment

Just trying to get àn idea of where the hoses and the oil thermostat are going.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.