Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nine Fourteen Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914 Ranch
The other picture.

914 Ranch
I'm rewiring the car, trying to make it easier to work on. Moving the boxes and new wires under the dash.

Click to view attachment

At this time the car has 10 circuits.
914 Ranch
Still working on the circuitry. Getting some progress and should be closing the dash soon. Expecting the hardware for the center mirror today but I wanted to see the mirror up.

Click to view attachment

I like it but if I think it'll too tall I can shorten it later.
914 Ranch
Mirror mounted. I shortened the stand and I like it.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Major progress on the electrical this evening. I'm really hoping for start up tomorrow. Got the starter signal and that put a smile on my face.
914 Ranch
So I got start up last night. Been working on that for over a week. You see I have an event coming at me. In the next 2 or 3 days this thread is going to have reached 50,000 viewers and that audience deserves pictures. So I need to get the car running and move it to a more picturesque area than it's home in the trailer.
914 Ranch
We went over 50,000 viewers yesterday, I am so jazzed. Today I am cleaning up the car and trailer so I can take the car to a nice place for the photo opportunity.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
In the cleaning of the car I decided to do some paint touch up to cover some rust stains. Then I decided to repair the front trunk hood but my epoxy was all dead from age. So new epoxy arrived yesterday and now I can go forward with the repairs.

Click to view attachment

Glass, sand repeat glass, sand repeat... It's shape and rigidity is returning.
914 Ranch
Been busy doing a lot of little things on stuff that I got burnt out on or needed more tools. Tools for Riv nuts really make a difference in the finish and appearance of the scoops. I still have 6 Riv nuts and screws to install on the scoops. I'm thinking that I need more rivets on the bottom of the scoops. It's just the spacing that bothers me, need to tighten it up a little. So this will bring me back to the targa bar as far as finishing the construction repairs. All of this stuff is making her look much better.

Click to view attachment

Still not pretty but looking much straighter.
914 Ranch
Like I said, I still have a bunch of work to do under the car. I really can't get under the where she is. She needs things like an oil change and some fittings on the new coolers, wheel studs and other work that I can put off awhile. Currently she needs to have the plenums cleaned from the just completed work. When I do that I'll give the engine bay a washing also.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Finished cleaning up the engine bay, so tomorrow I can reassemble her. I still need to clean up the plenums and about 6 nut serts on the scoops. It nice to see her this clean but she still needs some help.

Click to view attachment

Naked engine bay, I'll take another one after assembly.
914 Ranch
So I screwed up big time, I was screwing around removing the plenums and just removing the plexiglass from the plenums is about 50 screws and washers. So when I take them off I put them in a ziploc bag and set them aside. That's where I really screwed I have no idea what I did with them. Been looking for 3 days now and I have been straightening up the hardware laying on the benches and in the shop.
I ordered 50 more button head screws because I like the smaller head on them. The plenums and the fan box have been cleaned. The installation is coming along nicely and the car looks really clean for a car in primer. Still gonna be a couple of days till I can take her out for pictures.
914 Ranch
Picture
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Another one.

Click to view attachment

She's not quite ready to leave the trailer yet as I still have some stuff to tidy up. I really want to take her to a local RV park and see if I can get the rust off of her brakes. She is not rolling very well.
914 Ranch
So this isn't just me I am sure. Just because I do believe that I am not that unique of an individual. I keep raping myself for time. By this I mean that if I learned a new to me technique I may get inspired by this and want to go a hole new direction with some aspects of the car. The Supertraps led me to ideas that will give me a useable diffuser. Because of the work I did on the plenums and the fan box I have the insite to get the flat bottom completed.
Not happy with the seats in the the car I have received the inspiration to build Bomber Seats. I like them and I feel like they would be the perfect addition to the car.

Click to view attachment

Do these oil cooler's make my butt look bigger?
914 Ranch
Plenums installed and the engine grill.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I've been interrupted by another project. A bomber seat for my office chair. I was always jealous of the guys posting of a hot race car office chair evan a nice 914 seat office chair. I got this bomber seat as a practice seat for what I want for the race car. I have seen a lot of videos on the bomber seat on U tube lately. Some thing nice for me and another unique item in the race car.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Seat is ready for rivets. This kit is from Speedway Motors and was $187 but I spent $300 before leaving.
I have about 6 hours in this so far. Cleaning up all the time edges of burs and holes of chips. Seat is now ready for rivets. Nice kit, I'm about ready to start to do 200 rivets.

Click to view attachment

Like I said, this is not going in the car. The seat I want for the race car will take more time and effort. That seat kinda resembles an early Speedster seat.
914 Ranch
I don't have the proper rivet punch for my rivet guns. Ordered them, should be here tomorrow. I have cleaned and grained the parts, everything looks really good and I wanted to see it with rivets so here it is.

Click to view attachment

The rivets are just set in place so they fall out with the slightest movement. I ran the grain on each part differently, barely shows in the picture.
Justinp71

Lots of original designs here! Will be interesting to see the final product.

You going to do a head rest on the body? Did the 914-gt's even have a head rest?
914 Ranch
That's a good question, the seats they used did have a head rest but I don't remember the name of the seat. I had one in my -6, very comfortable, it's what it came to me with. I have a rectangle of foam attached to the top edge of the firewall on the passenger side. My passenger seat is from a sand rail. The new seats will be AWESOME.
Sorry I have no idea how to provide a link.
U-tube, Ron Covell bomber seat.
He is doing some pretty neat stuff.
914 Ranch
Remember this chair will used for my comfort while posting here on the 914 board. So it is not totally 914 unrelated.

Click to view attachment

Patterns for the 1/2" black foam padding.
This will be fine here under my but while posting. It did give me the insite to a much more appropriate seat for the race car. A seat that resembles a seat from an early Speedster.
914 Ranch
Working on fitting the chair to a chair base. I have to think this one out as it can't be done with just one piece.

Click to view attachment

Yep, 2 pieces, I need hardware and it's ready for padding. Hole saw supposed to arrive tomorrow. I want to see how the black padding cuts with the hot wire foam cutter. After I cut some holes I'll be able to test the foam for compatibility with the glue.
914 Ranch
Cutting the holes wasn't sure how to get it done. Decided to do it by hand. 19 holes left.

Click to view attachment

Can't wait to get started on the next one.
914 Ranch
Well I finally got the holes cut, I made a handheld 3" foam hole saw from a 3" hole saw. It cuts the hole in about 30 seconds. I just set it up in the pattern and twist it. Done.

Click to view attachment

I have about 4 options for glue. I'll start testing the rubber for compatibility tomorrow.
914 Ranch
I really like the seat, all the reflections from the dimples against the flat black of the padding. Kool seat, can't wait to do the next one.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
OK, now a picture of the seat with all the padding glued in. Got the hardware ready to go. I'll be posting here tomorrow from that chair.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
It's tomorrow and the chair is done. It looks really good. Now I can start on the layout for the new seats for the car. It looks much better than the Sparco, that seat is a monster. It got removed from the car because of it's size.

Click to view attachment

I already have a drawing of the new seats, so all I have to do is go to work.
914 Ranch
So the other day I was opening up the trailer to do some stuff to the car and opened the ramp door first and was amazed by what I saw. Excuse me but opening up the back door and seeing the car pushed all the way back gives a very nice display of her rear. I can think of no other way to say it. Bad ass. I don't mean to be beating on my own drum but whatthe. OK as a person I may be a little off center but I turn 75 in a few days and caring probably isn't going to happen.

Click to view attachment

Nice chair with the perfect back drop. Better picture...
stownsen914
I like the seat, Joe. That's cool.
914 Ranch
Thank you Scott, wait till you see the seats that I have planned for the car. They are going to pull on your hart strings.
914 Ranch
Today I was working on new hood pin hold down plates and smoking 10 racks of Ribs.

Click to view attachment

The plates are 2" x 2" and are hand grained. Doing more than 20, only gonna use 12.
914 Ranch
Hold down pin plates. 2" x 2" so I cut them out of what ever scrape I can find. Made a little fixture for graining them cause I like checkered flags.

Click to view attachment

If nothing else they are cute.
914 Ranch
New plates almost done.

Click to view attachment

I would like the hoods to more or less fall into place as they close (only in my dreams). So these will have a larger hole in them and that should be fine. Once their pinned down they aren't going anywhere, it's when you forget to clip them down that they learn flight.

914 Ranch
And now holy.

Click to view attachment

Going to have to do some repairs on the lids, have to plug the old screw holes.
914 Ranch
Edges finished, ready to go on the car.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
So I am in the middle of detailing the paint of the front hood. I know the hood is junk and needs replacement but I wanted to see if I could put a little V W back into her . That V W is about 23" in diameter.

Click to view attachment

The hood is currently in black primer and is about to be sprayed white primer. I am hoping that I can change the color of the shade of the paint in the finish of the color. It is a V W after all.
I figured that if I tried to put a sticker on that it would probably pull up the fresh paint.
Now to paint it white and pull up the taype.
914 Ranch
Oh shit, I found bomber seats for under $50. Bought 2, we'll see how this comes out. I also bought 2 sets of adjustable seat slides that I think I can modify and install the seats in the car for under $150. I have about $200 in the chair I made. That's cheaper than I can buy the material for. They are from Jegg's. On sale now.
914 Ranch
Primer done, I haven't found the blue I want yet but I can do the layout for the stripes and arrow head. I want something as light as Sapphire and I don't think Dupilcolor makes it. I still need to do more research. My hope is that the VW shows up on the blue.

Click to view attachment

Still a little early for handling so tomorrow I get to layout.
914 Ranch
I didn't realize it but now it's pretty obvious to me that I am in paint.

Click to view attachment

I have chosen Dupilcolor deep blue with orange stripes and arrow head. Doing the layout for the arrow head now.
914 Ranch
I laid out the stripes and arrow head on the hood. It worked out well so I like it. Still some touch up to do in the white primer.

Click to view attachment

You're going to have to look really close to see the layout lines as they are in pencil.
I'm probably going to take the ends of the arrow head above the hood pin plates
Did that and also narrowed the stripe as it comes to the arrow head an inch on each side. I think it looks better with the taper.
914 Ranch
Yep, I like the changes. I saw cleavage in the top center and thought about breast but I couldn't figure out the nipples.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Bonkers likes it.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
I'm back on the new seats. Building the fixture to make the bends with and getting the layout correct. The fixture, this should make a bend with a 4" radius.

Click to view attachment

Fixture still needs a base and then to be assembled and tested.
914 Ranch
59,000 ah man I can't keep up... I promised pictures at 50K , hope I can get them done before 60K . There is more happening here than in the hole rest of my life.
I'm almost ready to spray color on the frunk lid. Still working on the bomber seat fixture. Got all the parts now so all it needs is cutting and assembly.
914 Ranch
The fixture is complete but my test piece needed more shaping after it was bent. I would like a little tighter radius.

Click to view attachment

Probably take me a day to get the material out from where I stash the large flat materials (behind the roll-a-ways and a compressor). Everything on that wall is on wheels.
914 Ranch
So I got the sheet of aluminum out and cut it to size. The layout is complete and it's just about ready for trimming

Click to view attachment

In order to see the layout you need to make it much bigger. I need to trim it to fit the fixture.
914 Ranch
So now I have the shape of a bomber seat. It appears to be too wide but I think that the fixture needs a smaller pipe. This is 4" but I would like to try a 3" pipe to see if it will reduce the physical appearance in size. I know it needs about 4.5" cut off the edges.

Click to view attachment

Remember, this chair is going on the lawnmower. This is just for practice as I don't have material thick enough to for the race car.
So change out the pipe and rebend the seat.
914 Ranch
Now something else is getting in the way. Cooking lunch, quote from a neighbor " Ready? Yum. "

Click to view attachment

Earlier I was working on the lawnmower, finished assembling it and quit to take a break. But lunch is done.
technicalninja
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Aug 25 2023, 09:01 AM) *

Now something else is getting in the way. Cooking lunch, quote from a neighbor " Ready? Yum. "

Click to view attachment

Earlier I was working on the lawnmower, finished assembling it and quit to take a break. But lunch is done.

What are those?
They look delicious chowtime.gif chowtime.gif

Now I'm drooling over my keyboard...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.