Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Amenson
Wire was on sale so I bought some...and by some I mean 100ft of every color in 3 different sizes (TXL/GXL for the nerds) rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

That should cover any additions/corrections that I need to do.

jd74914
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 18 2017, 07:49 PM) *

TXL/GXL for the nerds

I thought the nerds were into M22759/32? shades.gif

biggrin.gif In all seriousness, the motor looks great in there! And that is a boatload of wire, wow.

Have you used that style AOS before? It's a lot more compact than some of the others on the market.
Amenson
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Dec 18 2017, 10:27 PM) *

TXL/GXL for the nerds

I thought the nerds were into M22759/32? shades.gif

biggrin.gif In all seriousness, the motor looks great in there! And that is a boatload of wire, wow.

Have you used that style AOS before? It's a lot more compact than some of the others on the market.

Only the rich nerds are into Mil spec stuff. wacko.gif I look into it every once in a while but just can't justify the cost of crimpers and components for a street car. Properly spec'd and installed automotive grade components are perfect for...automobiles.

I have not used that AOS before. Doug picked it out and I couldn't convince him to use something that I was familiar with because it was relatively expensive. We will find out!

jd74914
QUOTE(Amenson @ Dec 19 2017, 08:43 AM) *

Only the rich nerds are into Mil spec stuff. wacko.gif I look into it every once in a while but just can't justify the cost of crimpers and components for a street car. Properly spec'd and installed automotive grade components are perfect for...automobiles.

I have not used that AOS before. Doug picked it out and I couldn't convince him to use something that I was familiar with because it was relatively expensive. We will find out!

Just wanted to give you a hard time. That box would be a fortune in Mil Spec, especially if you added a few circular connectors. blink.gif

Pretty interested to see-it's certainly a nice and compact option if it works well.
914forme

Wire was on sale so I bought some...and by some I mean 100ft of every color in 3 different sizes (TXL/GXL for the nerds) rolleyes.gif

Click to view attachment

That should cover any additions/corrections that I need to do.

Who has it on sale confused24.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 19 2017, 10:21 AM) *

Who has it on sale confused24.gif

Del City has periodic 20% off everything sales. The most recent one was last week!
Amenson
With the stock dash going back in, using stock switches, relays, fuses box for basic function with a dedicated fuse/relay box for the drivetrain makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately we do not have a stock harness for the car. Anyone part out a car want to sell a harness. Does not have to be 100% perfect (90% would be nice) just looking for a solid base to work back to a mostly stock harness.
mgp4591
QUOTE(Amenson @ Jan 4 2018, 05:58 PM) *

With the stock dash going back in, using stock switches, relays, fuses box for basic function with a dedicated fuse/relay box for the drivetrain makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately we do not have a stock harness for the car. Anyone part out a car want to sell a harness. Does not have to be 100% perfect (90% would be nice) just looking for a solid base to work back to a mostly stock harness.

I've got a complete harness from my 71 1.7 less the wires I snipped for the fog lights and the heater motor. Pulled it all through the grommets and all including the fuse box. I really have no idea what it's worth but you're welcome to it and I could send it out Saturday...
Click to view attachment
Amenson
New tool day!

Click to view attachment

Well, not exactly. It has spent more time on "jack stand" than most 914's blink.gif I picked it up from a neighbor and tore it completely down and then converted the CVT speed adjustment to 3 phase VFD control.

It was 20 deg in the garage and even if I turned on the heater the tools would be freezen so I finished the lathe in the nice warm basement. Still getting it set up but it is making chips and the first part is in the chuck...replacement for the missing steering shaft lug.

Click to view attachment
Amenson
Had a very unproductive weekend in the garage. I intended to get the steering shaft clamp fixed but when I went to finish the new part, the belt on the lathe started slipping. I had a replacement drive belt on hand but still slipped. Apparently my custom mount did not allow the motor to move enough to tighten the belt properly.

Fix.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Got it working again and then ruined the carbide insert for my cutting tool headbang.gif

I needed to accomplish something so I continued the stockification.

Pulled the custom wiring harness and steering column.
Click to view attachment

Installed the replacement steering column.
Click to view attachment

Stock harness should be here this week.
914forme
Tom asked me to add updates as I did work on his gauges for him. We have a few items up our sleeve and this car will have a full array of needles to keep your eyes off of so you can driving.gif

First item was a new speedo for the car. Subaru uses an electric speed sensor in their MT5's so this car needed a speedo that was electric drive. So here you go, proper VDO 930.641.508.00 And well like most older VDO speedo's Anton thought it was a great idea to lube the gear shaft with a bit of grease. The grease happens to break down the material the gear was built out of. headbang.gif This is the worse one I have seen in my years of doing these.

Click to view attachment

Odometer Gears LTD to the rescue, meet these guys at Hersey, great group of guys, and I knew at some point I would need at least one of their gears.

Since I did not know the miles on Grey, I asked Tom how he wanted to handle the conversion. He said zero it out, it is a for the most part a brand new car. agree.gif

Click to view attachment

Next up get the new gear back in and get this thing assembled.

First up, I polished up the shafts, then added a touch of dry graphite bearing treatment to the shaft. Then repolished the shaft to remove excess per directions. Spins smooth now.

Click to view attachment

Overkill confused24.gif Oh heck yeah it is.

Next up add all the gears and e-clips

Click to view attachment

Test everything and it works piratenanner.gif And because of the high definition pictures I see a piece of the old gear in the worm drive on motor, that has been removed.

And it is now together again.

Click to view attachment

That is all I can do for now. All the needles will be painted at the same time, so they will all match. So I'll bag this one up and move onto the next one.

When I reassemble I will re-dust all the surfaces to get all the last bits out and off the assembly and the faces.
theer
Looks good, Steve.
Amenson
Fun with wires!

The harness from Mike looks decent. I have all of the tape off of the harness so that I can inspect and repair any issues. There are a few spliced wires here and there and one that had a few too many electrons moving through it at some point that will need to be replaced. Still need to cut off the protective tubing to check the rest of the wires. Then everything will get wrapped again prior to installation.

Click to view attachment

The harness is missing the steering column connectors.

Click to view attachment

I have the harness section from Porsti that I can work into the harness but I need to make sure that the connector pin definition is the same between the '71 and '73 columns. Are the columns interchangeable between the years? The schematics look a bit different and not all of the wires in the '73 harness are present in the '71.
mepstein
QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 7 2018, 05:14 PM) *

Fun with wires!

The harness from Mike looks decent. I have all of the tape off of the harness so that I can inspect and repair any issues. There are a few spliced wires here and there and one that had a few too many electrons moving through it at some point that will need to be replaced. Still need to cut off the protective tubing to check the rest of the wires. Then everything will get wrapped again prior to installation.

The harness is missing the steering column connectors.

I have the harness section from Porsti that I can work into the harness but I need to make sure that the connector pin definition is the same between the '71 and '73 columns. Are the columns interchangeable between the years? The schematics look a bit different and not all of the wires in the '73 harness are present in the '71.

I thought the 71 was a 14 pin connector and later was 12. Jeff B would know for sure.
theer
Grey started life as a '75.
Amenson
I continued plugging away on the harness in the evenings and hit it hard on Saturday. Got it completely unwrapped and cleaned and started fixing some minor nicks/cuts. Noticed some odd terminations of the main power supply wires from the outset but figured that I could swap them out when I reinstalled the steering column connectors.
Click to view attachment

I pulled apart the old porsti harness to harvest the steering column connectors. I planned to take the wires as complete as possible to minimize splices. After much studying the wire diagrams between the '71(actually probably a 70) and '73...there are just too many differences to cleanly/efficiently adapt it to work with the '73 column. Add in the two burned circuits and odly spliced power circuits (which probably resulted in the meltage) and I pulled the plug on this harness. Time of death Saturday, February 10th, 4:45pm.
Click to view attachment

A quick email to Bruce and what should be a really clean, complete harness from a '74 will be arriving soon. Bruce to the rescue again.

Time to make some progress. I convinced Tom to let me fix the clutch MC install and nearby angry beaver access port.

Click to view attachment

MC mount will be replaced with rnellums part.
Click to view attachment

Not quite sure what this hole was for but the beaver managed to cut through to the area below the fuel tank making it a multi dimensional fix. First step, cut back to clean margins. Actually second step, first step was to disassemble everything.
Click to view attachment

First patch made...only took 3 attempts to get it right.
Click to view attachment

View from below the fuel tank.
Click to view attachment

The other piece will be much easier to make, then welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif It has been too long since I picked up the torch.
Amenson
Just about finished up the clutch area.

Started with a little TAD to make the patch panel.

Click to view attachment

With gaps like this it will be a pitty to waste them on the MIG...unfortunately it is a bit tight in there to tig overhead, so mig it is.

Click to view attachment

After a few adjustments to the body to get the plate to sit flat and a whole bunch of fitting, marking and cutting to get the proper size holes in the proper place.

Click to view attachment

The flash really highlighted the welds, going to have to get back in there for a bit more grinding to get them flush.
Amenson
Third time's a charm!

Click to view attachment

'74 harness is pretty much unwrapped and looks pretty good. Few things to fix, remove all traces of the seat belt logic relay and then add in the wires for the new stuff and we will be substantially closer to the first start.
Amenson
Feels so good to have it done right.

Click to view attachment

A little bummed that the paint dried so light. I found another rattle can color that will hopefully be closer.

Finally pulled the trigger on a battery location.

Click to view attachment

Knocked out some more CAD work.

Click to view attachment

And some more hours on the harness. It is amazing how much dirt can get stuck in a bundle of wires. Sucks to clean it but gives me an opportunity to find any hiding nicks/cracks.

Amenson
I always thought that the hose running to the radiator looked a bit sloppy. Needing to tuck the spare tire as far to the passenger side as possible to make room for the brake/clutch fluid reservoir gave me an excuse to tidy it up a bit.

Replaced the hose with some more AL tube. This is the return, forgot to take a picture of the top tube.

Click to view attachment

Tight.
Click to view attachment

Amenson
While running the final bit of plumbing through the center tunnel I was disgusted enough of the previous removal of the top to convince Tom to source a new center tunnel.

He found a really nice donor. First step of prep was to remove the unnecessary tubes.
Click to view attachment

Much better. The throttle tube will be moved to the driver side for cleaner routing of the throttle cable to the reveres intake. It also leaves the center of the tunnel open in case the 1" coolant tubes are not large enough. I will be modifying porsti to run the coolant tubes down the center tunnel and if it works, Marks EG will be run this way also. Plenty of room now!

Click to view attachment

Center tunnel was prepped really well, only had to remove the firewall flange.

Click to view attachment

Old tunnel almost removed.

Click to view attachment

Had to stop to get to the bar for once a year amazing corned beef.
mepstein
Center tunnel lines sound good. Is there any issue having the coolent lines share space with the fuel lines.
Amenson
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 17 2018, 07:09 PM) *

Center tunnel lines sound good. Is there any issue having the coolent lines share space with the fuel lines.

Nope.
914forme
QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 11 2018, 10:32 PM) *

I always thought that the hose running to the radiator looked a bit sloppy. Needing to tuck the spare tire as far to the passenger side as possible to make room for the brake/clutch fluid reservoir gave me an excuse to tidy it up a bit.

Replaced the hose with some more AL tube. This is the return, forgot to take a picture of the top tube.

Click to view attachment

Tight.
Click to view attachment

I recognize those beads on the end of these tubes. Keep going, keep going.
mgp4591
My center tunnel was trashed and eaten up on the sides almost to the top. I sourced some 2x4" 14 ga tubing that fit right in and welded up fine to the new floor pans. I'll run the coolant lines down the center and top that tube with another one for my brake, fuel lines, and cables. Probably some wiring too plus my shifter. I'm working on a different type of heater setup to eliminate more water running through the middle plus if I bet a leak, the center tunnel is isolated from the rest of the car and won't flood anything - it'll just run out and it eliminates the possibility of hitting coolant lines run under the car. I've never really liked that solution...
Amenson
I would like to take this time to make a public service announcement.

If you are thinking about making random holes in your car; for the sake of your future self, kids, future owner or humanity in general....please don't. Take the time and/or spend the money to do it right. The owner of this car before Doug is officially on my shit list.

And say off my grass dry.gif

I was a bit optimistic that yesterday's progress was closer to the finish than the start, it was not. The rear part of the tunnel where it is reinforced for the seat belt anchor is spot welded and seam welded to the floor and had to be ground out. Getting the rear flange out from under the strengthening panel was also quite a joy. I shortened the flange on the replacement part so that it can slide under.

On a happy note, the replacement center tunnel is almost ready to weld in!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

There was a repair at the passenger front of the replacement panel is a bit proud to the bottom of rest of the weld flange and keeping that side from sitting flat. A bit of cutting and it sits flat, now I just need to weld it back together.
Amenson
Several days of fun compressed into one post.

This is the repaired area that needed adjustment. Didn't get a post repair picture.
Click to view attachment

I couldn't help myself, had to wire brush and paint the floor under the center tunnel. Just used weld through primer.
Click to view attachment

Holes for the IC heat exchanger. I am pretty sure I would not have been able to drill these holes with the center tunnel in place.
Click to view attachment

Center tunnel is painted with weld through primer on the underside and another poor attempt at matching the grey body color on the outside. Was warm enough to bake it in the sun today!
Click to view attachment

The calm before the storm.
Click to view attachment

After much mig welding. It is amazing how much smoke a little bit of burning bed liner gives off.
Click to view attachment

Center rib drops perfectly back in place.
Click to view attachment

Gap's were so good that I decided to use the TIG.
Click to view attachment

Partially TIG'd. Decided to call it Beer'thirty after sticking the tungsten for the third time. What an awkward welding position.
Click to view attachment

Looks so much better. Much welding and a bit of painting and this task will be complete.
theer
Looks amazing Scott.

Happy Beer-thirty. beerchug.gif
bbrock
That is one wicked repair! pray.gif
Amenson
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 25 2018, 10:16 PM) *

That is one wicked repair! pray.gif

Small potatoes compared to what you are tackling!
914forme
Nice progress Scott.
mepstein
Sorry I couldn't help you with the replacement piece. Mine was toast. Car looks much healthier with the metal back in place. beerchug.gif
Amenson
With the center console in place and the throttle cable tube relocated to the driver side I was able to mock up the throttle cable.
Click to view attachment

Bad picture, you can sort of see the red wire in place of the throttle cable.
Click to view attachment

The length from the tip of the throttle tube to the stock Suby cable mount is 140cm.

Throttle tube is stock length.
Manifold side is all stock Suby.

Tom, is this enough info to specify the cable to 914 Rubber?

theer
Thanks, Scott. That should do it.

Tom
Amenson
How do you eat an elephant?

Click to view attachment
914forme
With a proper three chamber Tilton fluid reservoir. But you are correct one piece at a time.

I was busy cleaning hubs tonight, one piece at a time chowtime.gif
Amenson
Had they day off and took the opportunity to finish the welding on the tunnel replacement.

Bad things happen when you try to push through dirty tungsten. It is amazing how a little contamination pop can ruin the arc. Proper thing to do is to stop and resharpen. this is what happens when you don't. Arc gets wide, takes more amps to melt the filler, more contamination on the tungsten, then blop...
Click to view attachment

Took a bid of grinding but pretty happy with the recovery.
Click to view attachment

Welding finished. This thing is stiff.
Click to view attachment

Tomorrow the squirt gun welds get ground.
Amenson
And Done. Now you can cover it with carpet.
Click to view attachment

Also fixed the missing steering rack clamp stud.
Click to view attachment

Yet another repair that will never be noticed.
Click to view attachment

Time to get back to some fun stuff.
Amenson
Moving on to final assembly.

Good place to start is the hydraulic clutch master cylinder. After pressing out the studs I realized that the flat for the stud head is too small for the bolt.
Click to view attachment

I thought about trying to grind it flat but it would never be really flat and if someday down the line it needed to be replaced it could not be replaced w/o modification. So I machined some step washers.
Click to view attachment

Check that off the list.
Click to view attachment
CptTripps
I've been watching from the sidelines for several months now, shedding the occasional tear for how awesome this build is, and that it's in such good hands. This is truly going to be the baddest-ass 914 on the road.

I talked to Tom last night, and got him some of the info on the map in the ECU.

Scott: If you download the Hydra software, you'll be able to pull the map off of it. I uploaded the custom map to the ECU already. Here are some specifics about it.

I told the guy that wrote the map for me the engine specs, turbo specs, and that I was using an air-to-water intercooler. The also knew that it was only driving two wheels. As he told me, the map that he wrote was "close" but would need refinement to operate at peak performance. Once I got it running, he was going to VPN into the computer attached to it, and then make the final adjustments. I forget the guy I talked to, that wrote the map, but the company was Element Tuning. (I don't have access to the email account that I'd conversed with him through, or I'd let you know.)

The laptop that Tom has, has the installation file for the software on it. He should be able to get that to you. I have no clue where to download it anymore. (a quick Google search wasn't much help either.) I DO believe I'd emailed you the pin-out for the ECU a long time ago. I can dig that up again if you need it.

Hope that helps guys. I can't wait to see this thing on the road!
CptTripps
Update: Found the link to download the software: http://nemesisems.com/software/
Amenson
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 11 2018, 01:26 PM) *

I've been watching from the sidelines for several months now, shedding the occasional tear for how awesome this build is, and that it's in such good hands. This is truly going to be the baddest-ass 914 on the road.

I talked to Tom last night, and got him some of the info on the map in the ECU.

Scott: If you download the Hydra software, you'll be able to pull the map off of it. I uploaded the custom map to the ECU already. Here are some specifics about it.

I told the guy that wrote the map for me the engine specs, turbo specs, and that I was using an air-to-water intercooler. The also knew that it was only driving two wheels. As he told me, the map that he wrote was "close" but would need refinement to operate at peak performance. Once I got it running, he was going to VPN into the computer attached to it, and then make the final adjustments. I forget the guy I talked to, that wrote the map, but the company was Element Tuning. (I don't have access to the email account that I'd conversed with him through, or I'd let you know.)

The laptop that Tom has, has the installation file for the software on it. He should be able to get that to you. I have no clue where to download it anymore. (a quick Google search wasn't much help either.) I DO believe I'd emailed you the pin-out for the ECU a long time ago. I can dig that up again if you need it.

Hope that helps guys. I can't wait to see this thing on the road!
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 11 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Update: Found the link to download the software: http://nemesisems.com/software/

Hi Doug, great to hear from you. I wasn't sure how you were handling someone else taking over the project. Glad that it is only occasional tears. I am not sure I would be so composed given similar circumstances. hissyfit.gif

I have been playing with the SW for quite a while. It has very good info on the wiring interface that I have been using to confirm your pin out sheet. I also wanted to get comfortable with sensor checking/scaling/debugging.

Regarding the MAP, I have not powered up the ECU so I can not download the data from it. I assumed that the MAP was on the laptop that went with the car so I had Tom send it. The MAP he sent had notes describing a completely different setup with a boost target of 41psi! He is going to send the other MAPs. I am sure we can find the one that matches with what is in the ecu, otherwise I will just start it with what is in there.

mepstein
I have to think that Scott helped to save this build. While Doug did a lot of heavy lifting, there are still a ton of details that could have been a make it or break it result. I hate it when projects get pushed in a corner.
theer
You are right about that, Mark.

If Scott hadn't agreed to help, I wouldn't have been able to do the deal.

beerchug.gif

Amenson
Fun with sheetmetal. The last major bit of fabrication on the project is to make the shroud for the radiator intake. I had mentally budgeted a day in the garage to get it done...ya, that didn't quite work out. When I made the Radiator mount I had a general idea of what I wanted to do. When it came down to actually doing it I didn't like my first idea. After several cardboard templates and much pondering I ended up reworking the radiator mount a bit to add mounting flanges. More CAD and then 2 tries per side in aluminum I think that it is almost something I am happy with.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The tops of the side pieces will be bent in to make a flange to mount the top piece to. The top piece will need to be bent to sit flat on the front lip. May have to get out the bead roller and try out the tipping dies. I am sure this will only take a few ruined pieces to get right! The shape over the radiator is not final.
Click to view attachment

CAD lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment

The clevis for the clutch MC arrived and is a really nice piece. Unfortunately the pin is larger than the bushings in the pivot. The slot is also quite a bit wider than the pivot. I am guessing that most people just pop out the bushing and run it. Effective but not something that I could do and sleep at night. I'll enlarge the hole and make a pair of step bushings.

Amenson
I dug into the clutch linkage tonight. I was pleasantly surprised that the shaft came out without removing the entire pedal assembly cheer.gif

I was a bit harsh on the bushing in my last post. When installed it is just undersized. Once out is is right at 8mm. Pin in the clevis is 7.90mm. A shave with a 8mm reamer when installed and it would be perfect. The side to side gap is definitely excessive so I will still make a pair of step bushings.

Click to view attachment

dakotaewing
Those cuts for the radiator sheet metal look really clean and smooth..
What are you using to make the cuts, and what guage is the metal?
I'm asking because I have to to the same thing for my project - dry.gif
I'm assuming that's aluminum?
Amenson
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Apr 25 2018, 03:46 PM) *

Those cuts for the radiator sheet metal look really clean and smooth..
What are you using to make the cuts, and what guage is the metal?
I'm asking because I have to to the same thing for my project - dry.gif
I'm assuming that's aluminum?

It is aluminum. Thickness: 1.5mm

As for the cuts, I start with the longest straight edge on the shear cut edge of the sheet metal. Instant straight! Other edges are cut on the band saw, tidied up on the belt sander and final tweaking with a file.

Just take your time....lots of it!
And don't be afraid to start over.

Good luck.
Amenson
The Porsti Power Tour thrash is over, time to get back to Grey. I spent a good part of the weekend and the 4th cleaning and organizing the garage back to a workable state. Now Grey is back on the operating table.

Click to view attachment

Pushing it around reminded me how much rubbing is happening. Driver side is rubbing on the inside, passenger on the outside. Need to get a base alignment done to see if they will fit perfectly in the limited space or if some trimming and precision spacing will be necessary.
effutuo101
Just wow! Keep up the good work!
I am still waiting on Dyno. Went a different way, so now I have to source some mirrors.
Then seat belts and touch up on paint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.