Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
CptTripps
Thanks Todd. That's 1!

Looking for 2-3 more to make the trip. I'd want to make sure we had enough people to finish the task at hand.
Dr Evil
I would love to, but the timing could not be worse with selling/buying a new house, moving, changing jobs, etc. If after mid Oct, I can probably swing it.
CptTripps
It was great having Bob (BIGKAT_83) stop by last night. Gave me an excuse to clean the garage a little bit and assess the list of remaining things. I'm a lot closer than I realized. smile.gif
Chris H.
Cool! Bob is good at refocusing you isn't he? Just do a little every day.
CptTripps
It's just a matter of me attacking one thing at a time. I'll get 1-2 things knocked off the list this weekend. That'll get me a step or two closer.
mgp4591
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 28 2014, 07:28 AM) *

It was great having Bob (BIGKAT_83) stop by last night. Gave me an excuse to clean the garage a little bit and assess the list of remaining things. I'm a lot closer than I realized. smile.gif

That guy is everywhere! I was lucky to catch him at home in Ga- well, at the body shop where one of his projects is and had a good talk. We were gonna go down to Auto Atlanta to meet some folks but family commitments for me came up so I had to split. Good to meet him and great to see 3 of my girls again! More money shelling out for weddings tho... 2 of 'em at once... maybe we could combine-- na, probably not... idea.gif
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Aug 28 2014, 10:12 AM) *

It's just a matter of me attacking one thing at a time. I'll get 1-2 things knocked off the list this weekend. That'll get me a step or two closer.

Once I realized that I had once again gotten in over my head and I knew that this "project" was bigger than me, I decided to compartmentalize and to do what I "could" do and not worry about the rest. If you followed my build you saw that I was in and out of the electrical for quite some time. When I hit "the wall" I would drop back and work on another part that I felt comfortable with. I dove in and out of that for month's but to my point, if you do what you "can" do, most of the rest will work itself out and you will surprise yourself. Now get off the comp get back on your teener. beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Here's an update for ya...I'm getting back into this.

I just ordered a new intercooler like this one. I'm going to remove the wall in the back of my trunk and put something like this together. I had an epiphany last night that I can remove a large section of that wall, maintain the ability to put the roof in the trunk, and it'll make routing the pipes a lot easier. At that point, I can add the BOV and water cooling.

IPB Image
76-914
poke.gif About time! Good for you, Doug. piratenanner.gif Nothing a luggage rack can't over come.
CptTripps
Hopefully I can get Chris (effutuo101) to give me more pics of how he did his intercooler. I'll work on mocking it up this weekend. I don't think I'll have the intercooler by then, but I have a pretty good idea of where it's going and how I'll route the lines to it.
mepstein
driving.gif
effutuo101
Shoot me an email Doug. I will take some pictures and send them!
effutuo101
Let's see if mobile works!
effutuo101
Hehe up side down...
effutuo101
Rotated
effutuo101
Bagh!
Last try to rotate pic
CptTripps
Can you take one of the BOV side?
effutuo101
I will try
effutuo101
Nuther
effutuo101
1 more
effutuo101
K 1 more
effutuo101
Last after errors
effutuo101
My BOV is a plumbed to be recirculating.
CptTripps
Got it. Thanks a bunch Chris!

Ok...looks like I have my work cut out for me, but I'll do the best I can and see what I can come up with.
76-914
thumb3d.gif
effutuo101
No worries. You have my email if you need more. Difficult to photograph.
CptTripps
I'd be MORE than happy to pay your guy to make me up a set of the same pipes he did for you! (If that's even possible)
effutuo101
I will ask!
76-914
piratenanner.gif Alright then. Let's get this show on the road again. piratenanner.gif We await your arrival, d'Artagnan. shades.gif
CptTripps
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 15 2014, 06:08 PM) *

I will ask!

That'd be a life saver! Please let me know. I'll email you.

So here's the punch-list that is keeping me from starting this thing and taking it around the block.

Engine:
Re-work the cooling hoses so they're more secure.
Add fill-tank.
Re-connect all the wiring
Fill it with oil.

Intercooler:
Remove the wall in the trunk.
Plumb the intake/output piping
Add BOV to the air plumbing
Mount the radiator
Plumb the water lines

Wiring:
Finish the gauge cluster so I have a tach/speedo
Re-run the alternator and battery lines.

That's the short-list anyway. I'm going to start trying to put an hour in 2-3 days a week until I cram this list out. You'd think this would be easy now that I don't have the kids most of the time! I just have a lot going on.

...it's not going to finish its self though!
effutuo101
Checking still. He is at Sema, so pretty busy!
CptTripps
I had a thought last night.

I am checking to see if my local guy can weld an output for the BOV to my intercooler. That'd kill 2 birds with one stone.

Something like this.
effutuo101
Or have him weld up some pipe and put a junction so you have some flex and be able to replace it if it goes south. You can vent straight from there into the exhaust or open air.
That works!
CptTripps
On second thought, I can just drill out a hole and taps so I can mount it directly. All I'd have to do is make a gasket at that point. If it goes south, I can just mount another one up later.
effutuo101
good call. maintenance/upgrades happen.
CptTripps
I'm not dead...just taking my time getting everything organized to finish this over the winter.

Baby steps.
Dr Evil
Moved in, demolished goat pens in pole barn, got $$ for new concrete floor, you can move it in there over winter if you want wink.gif
CptTripps
OK....we have some progress to report.

I talked to the guy that built my motor and I'm shipping the car off to him next week to do the intercooler, radiator, and fuel system for me. Those are the three pieces that have been keeping me from finishing this off, and my skill-set isn't going to get any better on its own. If I get him the car now, I should be able to get it back in early February...which is still plenty of time for me to get it ready for spring. I'll be concentrating on the interior and electronics once I get it back. THAT is something I'll be able to handle on my own once the mechanicals are set.

So Hershey is still my goal...just not the 2014 Hershey. ;-)
CptTripps
I've printed Chris' photos and I'm sending them with the car. Hopefully, we'll have the same air-to-water intercooler setup after all is said and done. One of my goals is to make sure the roof still fits in the back though.

While the car is away, I'm going to focus on the dashboard, bumpers, and roof so those are ready to go too.
effutuo101
Cool! Hope mine goes for Radiator, cv's, and peddle cluster this week.
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 15 2014, 09:05 AM) *

OK....we have some progress to report.

I talked to the guy that built my motor and I'm shipping the car off to him next week to do the intercooler, radiator, and fuel system for me. Those are the three pieces that have been keeping me from finishing this off, and my skill-set isn't going to get any better on its own. If I get him the car now, I should be able to get it back in early February...which is still plenty of time for me to get it ready for spring. I'll be concentrating on the interior and electronics once I get it back. THAT is something I'll be able to handle on my own once the mechanicals are set.

So Hershey is still my goal...just not the 2014 Hershey. ;-)

Good news piratenanner.gif Maybe we'll see ya @WCR2015!
CptTripps
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 15 2014, 12:41 PM) *

That would be just awesome. I'll shoot for it. If I can get the car ready for a 5,000mi journey, I'd definitely be in!
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 15 2014, 10:15 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 15 2014, 12:41 PM) *

That would be just awesome. I'll shoot for it. If I can get the car ready for a 5,000mi journey, I'd definitely be in!

Good to see you "back in the saddle" Doug. I'll bet New Years Eve you'll be toasting the end of this year. Glad your back. Us minorities need to stick together. lol-2.gif beerchug.gif Kent
AndyB
Looking good Doug. I found the link for the wiring harness, but could not get the link to work. Do you remember the name of the company? Thanks. I am going for Hershey 2016. This year I will bring my truck dry.gif

CptTripps
Let me look and see. I'll tell you though, the instructions were pretty bad...and incorrect. I needed Dr. Evil's help to make heads or tails of a lot of it.

Just run a search on eBay for "18 wiring harness" and I'll bet you find it there. (Mine was a 21, but I didn't need 5 of them, so 18 would be plenty.)
AndyB
Thanks Doug. I think I am going to remove the wiring harness from the donor car though.
CptTripps
This one looks pretty similar to mine, and is about 1/2 of what I paid. I don't think it'll matter much, as long as the wires are long enough...which they normally are.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Uni...ness,42872.html

The trick is to take all the wire wraps off, lay is out in the driveway, and go wire-by-wire laying them out to the front or back of the car. These harnesses are normally set up for the engine in front.
76-914
Any plans to pull the 914 out and start working on it again this spring, Doug?
CptTripps
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 9 2015, 12:16 PM) *

Any plans to pull the 914 out and start working on it again this spring, Doug?

I'm working on putting that plan together now. Scarlet75 and I had a conversation this AM about him coming out to help me for a bit. I'd like to get my ducks in a row a little better first. Once I have a plan of attack, I'll let everyone know what I'm thinking.
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.