Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CptTripps' Restoration 2 - The Grey Matter Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
914forme
Yes, I have all the stuff, don't worry about it, you can cover shipping, I'm not worried about making money, I was going to scrap them anyway.

PM me if you still need them.
CptTripps
DrEvil arrived and got right to work after lunch. We're still in the garage wresteling wiring.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 21 2014, 06:25 PM) *

DrEvil arrived and got right to work after lunch. We're still in the garage wresteling wiring.

Be careful what you feed him. You might not be garage buddies for long, depending on the size and ventilation qualities of your garage. However, he is a great guy and funny as hell, so you might just have to breath out of your mouth for most of his stay.

Hope you guys knock it out!
CptTripps
Oh I'm WELL aware of what he's...er...capable of. Why do you think I left the garage open all day?
Moneypit
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 21 2014, 09:25 PM) *

DrEvil arrived and got right to work after lunch. We're still in the garage spooning.

Fixed it for ya bootyshake.gif
AfricanHijinx
what is the brand of the headlights?
Chris H.
No they're probably working on the bunk beds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffAszD0d618

CptTripps
QUOTE(AfricanHijinx @ May 22 2014, 12:58 PM) *

what is the brand of the headlights?

I forget. Got them off eBay. The trick for me was re-figuring out the way to wire them up. (Well, Mike did anyway.) They have a different relay setup, and you need to run constant power to them. There is constant power up there anyway for the headlight motors normally, but my wiring harness is completely custom, so that went out the door.

They LOOK cool. Don't work yet, but still look cool. Cant wait to fire them up.
CptTripps
QUOTE(914forme @ May 21 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Yes, I have all the stuff, don't worry about it, you can cover shipping, I'm not worried about making money, I was going to scrap them anyway.

Absolutely. You still have my address, right? Just let me know what the $ is.
914forme
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 22 2014, 02:07 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ May 21 2014, 07:24 PM) *

Absolutely. You still have my address, right? Just let me know what the $ is.

Yes I do, I'll get them boxed and out. I have a few other items to ship out for a secret project someone on the East Coast is working on for me. devil.gif So I'll just add it to the box stack and get it up to yah.
CptTripps
Haven't had a lot of time to work on much. DrEvil CRUSHED the wiring. It'll be easy to finish up from here. I'll take pics later.

Did my 3rd brake light this am, by drilling holes in the back bar, taping off the holes, adding a clear epoxy and inserting LED lights. It's pretty bright, and doesn't detract at all from the lines of the car.
CptTripps
Later today: Starter and Coil relays. Wire up the Hydra. Start working on the interior so I can ship it to my motor builder to make all my air flow work. We're getting close!

My new/realistic deadline is to have it driving for the Stoddard meet in 2 weeks. I'm pretty sure I can make that one!
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif
CptTripps
Ok...lots of progress....that doesn't look like much, so I didn't take pics.

Put a plate together for the Hydra to mount in the trunk. I wasn't going to, but with the amount of things I needed to mount on that panel, and the thickness of the steel I was going to have to drill through, this was a better option than velcro. (Cleaner too.) So I got the panel all drilled out and ready to mount.

I also ran the starter relay and finished wiring the coil and injectors up to relays. I don't like the relays I bought, so I'm going to buy some 40A later today and use those instead of the 10A I had.

Wiring for the engine should be done tonight. Then I get to tackle the intercooler and figuring where in the hell I'm going to mount the radiator for that...and the tank...and how to tube the whole thing. That's the last major piece before the interior.

I already have the carpet all cut. I need to have a few pieces bound at the edges and then cover the dash and fire-wall with....something. I'm still not sure how I want to do that part. If I have enough carpet left, perhaps that's my best option. I'll figure that out later though.

Just waiting on the parts for the headlight motors and I can get that piece worked out.

So...that's my punch-list right now. It's a few more days of hard work, but I hope I can get it done in time for the Stoddard meet.
76-914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2014, 05:55 AM) *

Ok...lots of progress....that doesn't look like much, so I didn't take pics.

Oh Boy, how many of those days are there? A full day and nothing to show for it. headbang.gif

I also ran the starter relay...............
Good call. You wont regret that and your starter switch thanks you. smilie_pokal.gif

Wiring for the engine should be done tonight.
lol-2.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif Yea, right!

Just waiting on the parts for the headlight motors and I can get that piece worked out.

What's with those? I missed that part.

So...that's my punch-list right now. It's a few more days of hard work, but I hope I can get it done in time for the Stoddard meet.

poke.gif I want 3 of whatever your taking, Doug. Don't take this wrong Doug, but I think your a "long" month out. Maybe 2 month's but soon enough to make RRC this year.
CptTripps
We shall see. I know I'm on the home-stretch at this point. No longer 90% with 90% to go for sure.

The engine wiring is all in the trunk, and the Hydra is completely wired to the terminal blocks. Everything is shrink-labled at both sides, so I can't imagine that it'll take long at all. I just ran out of crimp ring connectors or I'd have kept going last night. I ordered more, and bought enough this AM at Radio Shack to finish off the major pieces. The starter relay seems a little TOO heavy-duty for what I'm going for so I was going to replace that with a smaller one I ordered.

After that, it's a matter of wiring up the interior, which DrEvil did an outstanding job of pre-wiring with Molex connectors for me.

If I can get the car to at least turn, I think I'm close enough that I can get somewhere in pretty short order. The dash gauges may be an issue, as I don't thin I gave myself enough clearance in the back. Gotta ponder that one today in between meetings.
Justinp71

popcorn[1].gif
CptTripps
Here's the punch-list.

Looks long, but some of these are 10-min jobs. Stuff with and "*" are being done by my engine builder. He's going to work on it while I'm in Atlanta this weekend. Said everything is already mocked-up so it'll just be putting everything together.

Engine:
Complete Engine Wiring
Complete Hydra Wiring
*Mount Fuel Pressure Regulator
*Mount Boost Solenoid
*Mount Radiator For Intercooler
*Mount Intercooler
*Plumb Intercooler
*Plumb Water Lines To Intercooler
*Exhaust Hangers
*Vacuum Lines
*Plumb Air-Oil Separator
Finish Radiator At The Engine
Add Radiator Relay
Finish Headlight Buckets
Install Accel Cable

Interior:
Re-Cover Dash
Re-Cover Firewall
Build Center Console
Mount/Wire Speakers In A-Pilars
Mount/Wire Door Speakers
Mount/Wire Switches
Carpet Installation
Mount/Wire Subwoofer
Mount/Wire Sub Amp
Mount/Wire Sat-Nav
Mount/Wire Power Windows
Mount/Wire Power Locks
Install Thresholds

Exterior:
Mount Windshield (Recover Dash First)
Mount Back Glass (Recover Firewall First)
3Rd Brake Light Wiring
Windshield Wiper Motor
Windshield Washer Motor
Mount Door Handles
Install Seals

Drivetrain/Steering:
Adjust Camber
Adjust Allignment
Check Bolts/Pins
BIGKAT_83
If your in Atlanta on Sunday you need to go to caffine and octane (7am til 11am) car show.
Let me know and I'll meet you there.

driving.gif Bob
CptTripps
Actually, that may be cool. Where's it at? I'll have my kids with me and they're really into cars now that mine LOOKS like a car.

We leave for CLE at 4:30 so if it's close to Buckhead where we're staying, I'll be there.
CptTripps
More of what McMark would call "Digital Progress" but I got the decal sheet done today. Still not sure if I actually want to sue them or not, but I have the vinyl cutter...and I have the vinyl. Easy enough to cut and I can change my mind later. idea.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Actually, that may be cool. Where's it at? I'll have my kids with me and they're really into cars now that mine LOOKS like a car.

We leave for CLE at 4:30 so if it's close to Buckhead where we're staying, I'll be there.

Its about 15miles north on GA 400 no traffic that time of the day. I usually get there around 8:30 or so.

Bob
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2014, 03:13 PM) *

Its about 15miles north on GA 400 no traffic that time of the day. I usually get there around 8:30 or so.

Bob
green914
Great progress smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 27 2014, 04:22 PM) *

More of what McMark would call "Digital Progress" but I got the decal sheet done today. Still not sure if I actually want to sue them or not,

Why would you want to sue them?
CptTripps
Doh! Autocorrect fail.

USE them.
saigon71
Keep on rolling Doug...you are on the home stretch. beerchug.gif
effutuo101
solidarity!
biggrin.gif
looking good Doug!
send pictures of the turbo oil and water cooling systems please.
need to finalize mine.
CptTripps
Spent all night on wiring. Then I ran out of crimp ends. I have all the wires installed on the engine and marked off where they go on the Hydra blocks, so I'll have that wrapped up later today.

My water cooler still eludes me. I keep going back/forth as to where I want it mounted.
CptTripps
Looking at that pic, I should clean those up a bit to make things easier down the line. An extra hour on this side will make for a more refined look down the line.

I just picked up 6 3/4" spacers to raise the panel off of the wall a little bit. That'll give the wire more room too. I was hoping to get a 8-10" service loop behind it to make moving the panel a little easier too.

So I *should* be all the way wired later tonight. Still pondering the intercooler stuff here and there. I think I have a plan now. Need to dry-fit it first though.
rhodyguy
are you planning on some sort of heating system to tie in to the cabin? the wiring job is as clean as they come. top shelve. hard to believe its the same car that came from the far north cal coast.
CptTripps
Wiring for the engine is complete. Except for the ignition coil pack relays for power. Working on the boost solenoid and fuel system tonight after the kids go to bed.

Here's what it looks like now.
Mblizzard
You better finish this and bring it to Ockteenerfest because I really want to see this car!
76-914
Getting closer and looking good, Doug. Is that Tefzel wire? You just reminded me I need to get busy cleaning up my electrical Rat's Nest. dry.gif
CptTripps
Got a shit ton done tonight.

Fuel system: Complete (tank to rails to pressure reg...good to go!)
Hydra Wiring: Complete (just need to connect the wide-band at the exhaust)
Boost Solenoid: Complete (wired and vac lines run)
Throttle Cable: Complete (had to build a custom cable mount)
Starter Relay: Complete (it turns over and everything!)
CptTripps
I still need to clean everything up with zip-ties and such, but everything is where it should be and it's easy to make it look nice from there.

Feeling good about this guys...really starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Amenson
Getting close to tire smoke!
CptTripps
I'm still a little stuck on the throttle and how to connect it to the stock (new) 914 cable. The subaru uses a lug at the end, and the 914 has the pressure-pole-thingy. Right now, just putting it in there holds just fine. I just want to make sure it's solid.

Any ideas?
Spoke
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 28 2014, 11:15 PM) *

I'm still a little stuck on the throttle and how to connect it to the stock (new) 914 cable. The subaru uses a lug at the end, and the 914 has the pressure-pole-thingy. Right now, just putting it in there holds just fine. I just want to make sure it's solid.

Any ideas?

Not sure what each end looks like. Got some pics?

BTW, great progress! Lookin' pretty sweet.
CptTripps
The other issue I saw was that the starter only moves one wheel when I'm in gear and turn it over. I'm hoping (praying) that it's because both the wheels aren't on the ground. I would have expected one wheel to go one way, and the other to spin the opposite direction. I need to check that when I get home. ;(
Chris H.
I think that is actually normal. Ask Ian. Your trans has an open diff like mine. That's why it was such a pain in the arse to tighten the nut on the diff locker because you don't get any opposing tension like you do with the older ones. You get no tension at all.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 29 2014, 09:24 AM) *

I think that is actually normal. Ask Ian. Your trans has an open diff like mine. That's why it was such a pain in the arse to tighten the nut on the diff locker because you don't get any opposing tension like you do with the older ones. You get no tension at all.

That's what I thought too. When I had the trans out, I know they spun opposite in my hands.

I'm also worried that the roll-pins I have aren't substantial enough, and that I need a washer or spacer of some kind behind the Magic Flanges I have. I remember someone saying I needed something there, but I can't find the email/pm/thread that talked about it.

Update: Found it -> http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=115804

Anyone know where I can get a set of the rings/washer things I need?

Just going through my list of "last-min" stuff before I fill the trans with fluid in preparation for "go time" next week. driving.gif
Dr Evil
thumb3d.gif
Chris H.
Doug,

Take a read of this when you have a little free time...

Uncle Scotty's (NOT scotty b) Cocktail

As you may know the Subie trans is known as the weak spot, but primarily that's due to the fact that they are AWD so when the clutch is dumped at 7000 rpm after a surge of adrenaline the wheels cannot spin easily and the CV joints are extremely sturdy. For this reason "Scotty" has come up with a mixture of trans fluids that he believes helps lengthen the life of the 5MT trans. This is really just FYI...don't feel like you have to do this. Just Subie trans education for you. It's fine to use the OEM stuff but in case you're concerned about it or maybe after you thrash it a bit you'll at least have this top of mind. I might use it just because I have NO IDEA what my trans has been through up to now. You've just got a LITTLE more hp than stock so that's why I threw it out there.
76-914
Here you go Doug. This is from the horses (Steve aka Porcharu) mouth.

I used all my pipe up on another project. It's 1" pipe schedule 10, fits perfect. I actually think this spacer is not needed as the aftermarket axles have long splines and just let the CV slide around, but if you can get the pipe and cut 4mm slices I would do it.
Steve
CptTripps
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

I went over to NASIOC and copied the recipe. I've ordered everything and it should be here by Monday.

Here's the cocktail: (With links to buy the stuff on Amazon)

2qt 80w90 Castrol HypoyC(NOW labeled Axle Limited Slip 80W-90 by Castrol in North America) -> http://amzn.com/B00HFL36V2

1qt Redline HEAVYWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF -> http://amzn.com/B000CPI5XW

1qt Penzoil 'SYNCHROMESH' transmission fluid....the GM synchromesh fluid PN 12345349 is available at any GM dealer and can be used if the Penzoil product is not available....the Penzoil one IS better. -> http://amzn.com/B0002KL098

----------

1) FOR BEST RESULTS DRAIN THE TRANSMISSION FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES...REMOVE the trans dipstick and use a funnel(see below) with a long spout....

Pour the WHOLE BOTTLE of the HEAVYWEIGHT SHOCKPROOF(NOT THE LIGHTWEIGHT) into the trans....

2) Pour EXACTLY 1/2 of ONE of the bottles of CASTROL into the now empty shockproof bottle and shake it gently.....and pour THAT into the trans

3) Pour ALL REMAINING CASTROL PRODUCT into the trans.

4) Pour EXACTLY 1/3 of the 'synchromesh' into the trans and replace the dipstick

5) Drive car in a NORMAL AND RATIONAL AND REASONAL MANNER using ALL the gears INCLUDING REVERSE.....

6) Park car on LEVEL surface....wait at least 20 minutes and check trans fluid level.....top up with the synchromesh product.

THE 5MT TRANSMISSION DOES NOT LIKE TO BE AT ALL UNDER FILLED....A BIT OVER FILLED IS BETTER THAN ANY UNDER-FILL AMOUNT.
OVERFILLING THE TRANSMISSION S L I G H T L Y IS NO BIG DEAL.....DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT.

Figure it's not going to be a bad idea for me to start with this. I need to fill it with fluid anyway. Right?
CptTripps
I'm digging my hotel room number in ATL.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ May 30 2014, 09:28 AM) *

I'm digging my hotel room number in ATL.

what are the chances--you asked for that room number, right? poke.gif
CptTripps
I've stayed here a dozen times but normally on the 14th or 15th floor. I needed 2 connecting rooms this time. They have me 912 and 914. Not too shabby.
CptTripps
Spent about 2h in the garage last night running the accelerator cable to the pedal, and contemplating the air/water intercooler setup. The others I've seen have flopped the intake and moved the radiator. I don't think this is an option for me, as I've got a lot of other custom stuff up there that'll prohibit the move. So I need some tight radiuses and maybe a different can for the intercooler.

Off to the interwebs to find a better can for my application.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.