Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Andyrew
Ordered some tires for the rear. 285 35 18's. (Fronts have 1k miles on them, but are 5 years old, rears are goooooone)

Received the seals from 914rubber.com

Sanded down the drivers side last night as well. It hit me that I have to paint under the targa bar prior to painting the rest of the car.. Soooo Im going to try and enlist some help tonight to get the car sanded quick enough to paint under the targa bar tonight..

Ahhh, I havent spent this kind of money in a while... Glad I have some 914 parts to sell to fund it!
McMark
You'd be surprised how many people forget under the targa bar. Glad you caught it now! biggrin.gif Lookin' good.
Andyrew
Its either now or after paint on the rest of the car and I figure I'd rather do it now than later as it can sit for 3 days drying then I can properly mask over the paint..

Oh and I found out that dollar tree has 10'x12' (Thin..) painters plastic tarps. They worked well painting the hood, I'll pick up 5 or so for these little spot jobs. Probably use 3 to cover the car for this...
Andyrew
Dad came over this afternoon and helped me get the rest of the car sanded. All set now to start prepping for paint tomorrow and to paint under the targa bar (And paint the front hood, I decided I will paint the front hood off the car as well so I can get to the fenders and the cowl area without worries).

I'll have some time on Friday morning as well so that might be when I paint those area's to keep the bugs away... But then again I might do it tomorrow night (Now that im thinking about it, probably not).

Brent
The Modesto heat should be cool for a few days too. Hoping for bug free spray! Looks great Andrew!
Andyrew
So apparently Tire Rack delivers within 24 hours of placing an order...

Pictures at 11. tongue.gif
Andyrew
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Click to view attachment

Wait for tomorrow!!!

smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Wow. It's going to look great! Keep it up.
arkitect
Great work on the painting, nice to see the fresh paint after you have done so many hours of sanding.
JRust
Nice Andrew! Can't wait to see more orange piratenanner.gif . Get to spraying
Andyrew
Teaser smile.gif
IPB Image
chrispy
Nice job Andrew, It looks so sweet. All that hard work is paying off. Can't wait to see your car at Graffiti.
Andyrew
Click to view attachment

Done.

Turned out better than I had anticipated. We have very little dust in the top layer of paint. A bunch in the first layer but that was due to the weather strip channels not being prepped properly.

There are a few runs, More than I had hoped, but they started popping up around layer 5. There are 7-8 layers on the car. 5 was required for full coverage over the area's that the black primer broke through, Those got the extra layer. There is less orange peal than I had anticipated which is good, but the runs are not something im looking forward to fixing. It was a lot colder than I wanted to spray in (I had anticipated 70 deg, it was around 65 and dropped to 60 at times. I had my space heater going when I was not spraying to keep the heat up in the garage and I feel that really might have helped (However I overloaded the 20 amp breaker ~ 4 times because of it... Shop lights, compressor, fans, and heater...).

Paint is very glossy and very nice looking. We do have some concerns that my 285 tires might not fit without a bit of a spacer though, I hadnt realized how close to the inner fender my current tires were. So I may need to add a bit of positive camber and maybe some 1/8" spacers. We'll see how that turns out as I will be getting the wheels off the car to get tires mounted.

Still to do. Sand runs off targa top and see if I break through the paint if so respray. Sand rear trunk and respray, sand rocker pannels headlight lids and spray. Wetsand and buff, rest of my list on page one.

PS Im not a big fan of the pic of me grinning like an idiot smile.gif
computers4kids
Andrew...wow blink.gif I love it! What are your plans for the jams and trunks? I can't wait to see this thing put together. Way to go...
Mark
rick 918-S
Great progress! This car was at WCC 04 right?
tdgray
Good Job WTG !

Get a Nib file for the runs... it won't be as bad as you think.
dan10101
Great Job planning this and getting it done.
You have a talent for laying down paint. I'm sure there are ways to do it better, but you prepped well, spend the time needed to get things right and it look great!

Mom says it's "ORANGE". blink.gif

I say it's the new Red...

I'm thinking "Solar Flare"
IPB Image

sawtooth
Congrats Andrew, great color!
Andyrew
Thanks all!

Chris, I'll have your tools in the trunk to return them @ American graffiti if I dont see you till then!

Mark, I am going to try and clean the overspray off the jambs with acetone. Trunks will be resprayed down the line.

Rick, 2005, but yes we went on the track together. This was prior to the bontempi HPH flares, I had hammered out the fenders and had 16x7 fuch's with 225 tires.

Dad, Solar flare is a good idea.. But I still like my other idea and think im going to go with it. It'll be an "unveiling" post when its all done smile.gif
Root_Werks
That turned out nice!
Mike Bellis
Wow! That looks awesome! You want to paint mine? beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Mike, I certainly could. Shoot me a PM we'll discuss specifics there.
arkitect
Andrew,
Great job, nice to see the color on it. piratenanner.gif

Dave beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Painted some of the trim. Not going to move very fast untill the paint is dry and polished. Then all the trim actually goes on and the new seals and such go back on.

IPB Image

I am LOVING the color combo.
saigon71
That turned out real nice! beerchug.gif

Looking forward to seeing the final product!

A fellow Ninja 250 rider,

Bob
dan10101
more paint picts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Get er Done!
sawtooth
That looks fantastic, great job! smilie_pokal.gif
Andyrew
10 days feels like a long time with no updates.

I have been pretty busy, but I had some time today to work.. UNFORTUNATELY I had some issues...

Long story short, ECU on the fuel injection setup went out. After swapping ecu's to my dads (We run the same Holley throttle body fuel injection setup....) and trying to retune the car, We were almost finished when something we dont know happened and the car wouldnt stay running. At this point I gave up and decided to throw the old Holley 600 carb back on the car. To autozone to grab a new fuel pump, about 45 minutes dicking around with swapping the fuel pump and we got the car running. Luckily I had the car dyno tuned on this carb (5 years ago...), and the guy worked his magic to make it run awesome, so when we fired it up it ran like a top. Its a little rich, but its pretty smooth.

I spent some downtime (waiting for dad to make some shopping runs) wet sanding some area's of the car. I have a bunch of dirt and runs in the paint and I tested out sanding out some of them. The runs are a PITA, dirt and such are a piece of cake... I went to 1500 on the drivers rear quarter and it really looks good. I need to get some 3A rubbing compound and see how it really looks. But throughout this week and next i'll be working on the front and rear bumpers, and getting the rest of the little things painted and seals installed. Again I dont know how much time I really am going to have, but I am going to do my best to get those items painted in less than 2 weeks.

914.SBC
Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the advise and help you gave me during my build. I dont have any words of wisdom to share cuz of all the things I have done in my garage, body work is the worst. Anytime there is a task with the word "work" in it, it can be painful.

Seriously, I love the color. I read all 12 pages of your build and your cooling system thread. I can tell you truly love 914's.

If you are ever down in Southern California, look me up. Would love to see that ride in person.

Regards,
J P Stein
Very nice body work/paint. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
IPB Image

Drove to work, My co worker had his project there as well to show me smile.gif

Still have a lot to do, Lots more wet sanding then hopefully buff it out soon.
JRust
Way to go Andrew piratenanner.gif . Looking great & even better to see it on the road. Always a good feeling driving your teener. Especially after so much work going into that paint. Keep it up man beerchug.gif
banksyinoz
great work andrew, looks awesome, i am certainly a fan of the colour and contrasts, unfortunatly my wife hates orange sad.gif so no orange for me
Randal
QUOTE(dan10101 @ May 19 2011, 11:05 AM) *

more paint picts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Get er Done!

Great Work Andrew. I hope that you'll be bringing that beautiful car up to Medford!

Nice spoiler. Did you make that?
Andyrew
Randal,

No WCC for me.

Spoiler is the 6" Sheridan model IIRC.
Andyrew
So spent a total of 17(give or take) hours this weekend between me and my dad cutting and buffing the paint. Its been raining all weekend as well so i couldnt get it in the sun for pictures. I'll upload the pictures tomorrow.

On the runs I started with 600 grit, then 1k then 1500. On the rest of the car it was 1k then 1500. On dirt specs I scraped them flat with a curved razor (details in pictures) then 1k and 1500.

Most of the flaws were removed from the paint this way. The fenders look FANTASTIC. This car really shines now. I cant wait to show you guys some in the sun pictures of this thing. (Dad took some, maybe he'll post some).

I am VERY happy. But there is still some buffing to do. I have to buff the hood 2 more times, as the 1500 scratches are still there in some spots.

Tomorrow i'll paint the headlight covers (as i'll be able to roll the car out of the garage finally since the rain is going to die down..) and get them on the car on Tuesday. Weather stripping also starts to go on tomorrow.

Andyrew
Teaser

IPB Image
Andyrew
Dad took this shot today.

biggrin.gif
banksyinoz
drooley.gif

Eddie914
Andrew,

Fabulous job!

What rear spoiler are you using? I want one!

Cheers,

Eddie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.