Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
76-914
thumb3d.gif
Andyrew
Cool noises coming probably in 2 months smile.gif

Exhaust parts on order (Stainless 3").

If I want I can 2step and antilag this engine with my tuner (ECU is currently in my tuners hands for a base tune, We will finalize the tune over the internet with logs)... But I like this turbo and I'd rather not destroy it yet.

914forme
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 8 2016, 06:50 PM) *

If I want I can 2step and antilag this engine with my tuner (ECU is currently in my tuners hands for a base tune, We will finalize the tune over the internet with logs)... But I like this turbo and I'd rather not destroy it yet.

Who are you using to tune?
dan10101
It's getting exciting. 2 months for exhaust? Do you have an interim exhaust solution? In time for WCR?
Andyrew
2 months till running. Ill probably do the exhaust in 2 weeks once I get all the parts.

Tuning is by Vagautoworks which is a very famous VAG tuner named Daz Dillenger. The tune itself is 400 for the pump gas tune, he will code out all the faults and will work with me until the tune is 110%.

What I have left to do prior to starting the car:
1. Finish intake plumbing
2. Finish exhaust
3. Finish oil cooler install and turbo plumbing
4. Mount fuel pumps and run all lines
5. Mount water pump and wire in.
6. Weld new outlets to radiator
7. Mount expansion tank and plumb radiator, coolant turbo, and oil cooler lines.
8. Wire the whole car.
9. Install boost controller
10. Add fluids and do pre systems check.

After the engine is running ill need to do the following.
1. Mount intercooler radiator and fan
2. Mount intercooler pump and run lines, wire in pump controller
3. Weld in trunk firewall
4. Burnout.

You know.. 2 months worth...
Mike Bellis
You better take the rest of the month off from work so you can get busy!
matthepcat
^^ Just go out to the valley Mike and get it knocked out in a weekend ^^
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 8 2016, 10:15 PM) *

^^ Just go out to the valley Mike and get it knocked out in a weekend ^^

I work in spurts. Remember my car was broke from September to February because I was too lazy to buy the part... dry.gif

Then I get busy and get shit done... biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Made a bracket for the water pump. Im waiting for the alternator bracket before I mount this.
Click to view attachment

Welded in brackets for the coolant reservoir
Click to view attachment

My AN lines and fittings came in. I must say these took a LOT longer to put fittings on than I thought. It took me over 3 hours to do 4 fittings.
Click to view attachment

Took the trunk off. Whats that under the bumper? idea.gif
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
All that work and your running a stock fuel rail?
Andyrew
Exhaust parts came in evilgrin.gif

3" Stainless mandrel bent tubing, Vband clamp, 3" Stainless resonators. Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. I still need to weld in a hanger. System only weighs a couple pounds so right now the Vband clamp is holding it pretty good.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 14 2016, 10:25 PM) *

All that work and your running a stock fuel rail?

I was told it would not be the restriction until about 600hp, and with my AN10 supply lines probably not till way after that. Ill change it if I need to but right now I didnt want to deal with it. Assuming it doesnt leak...
Andyrew
Last one for tonight
Andyrew
Alternator bracket came in yesterday.

Click to view attachment
Quickly Karate chopped it in half. Only the top half is needed, the lower half has a idler pulley and the power steering pump. Both not being used.

Click to view attachment
With the alternator mounted under the intake manifold you can see the gutted water pump sticking out.

Click to view attachment
The pulley mount looks like it could interfere so off with its head!

This nets us with about a 26 1/2" belt, I have a 27.3" belt on order, and I think it'll work just fine.

Click to view attachment
I also got the extended oil tube for my S4 oil cooler (Going to run this till I decide to run the external oil cooler...). But it requires the little cat ears to be ground off the oil cooler mount. Couple minutes with the grinder and they were off. Oil cooler is installed and the oil filter installed as well, but I will probably pull it and fill it prior to starting the engine.
Andyrew
Got some work done this weekend.
Made a heat shield for the manifold to protect the coils and the oil feed line. New 3AN oil feed line also came in.
Click to view attachment

Got the remainder of my AN lines in. So I mounted up the fuel pump. I hate having to reach both sides to get to bolts so I welded the backsides of the bolts to the firewall smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Located and clocked the water pump. This will actually be "free floating" but the outlet on the engine and the flange on the water pump are literally touching so it really doesnt move at all.
Click to view attachment

I experimented with aluminum welding.. Sometimes experiments fail... This one did barf.gif
Had I actually preheated this and used pure Argon this might not have been so bad.
I am going to see if a local weld shop can clean up my welds with a tig so it'll hold pressure. If not I'll go by a members place and try my hand at it with his Tig.
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Mounted the W/A IC radiator. Just one bolt right now. Trying to figure out the rest still.
Click to view attachment

I'll route the hoses behind the radiator and through the firewall.
Click to view attachment

Speaking of hoses... How about some stainless joiners? biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

And How about some more stainless joiners? A little explanations as well. This took quite a bit of research.. dry.gif
Click to view attachment

A little explination for the intercooler
Click to view attachment

Truth be told this is all just me delaying getting back into the electronics barf.gif ... The wiring is really whats going to hold me back from getting the car running. I know about 50% of the critical electrical components and I cant read the factory manuals so I really have no idea what to do next... Im slowly working through it though unsure.gif
jd74914
I like the intercooler water cooler location. Nice and clean. smile.gif Are you going to shroud and run a fan?

If you didn't shield with 100% argon I would cut all of those welds out; depending on the alloys aluminum aluminum welds can be brittle as-is so they really need to be done correctly. If you do end up TIGing them yourself, I've found the trick to aluminum is going relatively hot and fast; almost the opposite of welding steel. If you are fortunate enough to have access to a nice high frequency inverter machine, then you can set it up so it's more like welding steel and go slower.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 21 2016, 11:12 PM) *

Truth be told this is all just me delaying getting back into the electronics barf.gif ... The wiring is really whats going to hold me back from getting the car running. I know about 50% of the critical electrical components and I cant read the factory manuals so I really have no idea what to do next... Im slowly working through it though unsure.gif

Manual is in German? What year? I'll look around for you.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 22 2016, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 21 2016, 11:12 PM) *

Manual is in German? What year? I'll look around for you.

I have the full (Were talking FULL) workshop manual. Problem is they look like this.
Click to view attachment
The body harness is a 2001 S4, the engine/dash is a 2001 A4 AWM engine.

Intercooler will have a fan, and probably a shroud in the future. I'll control the fan with the temp controller I posted a couple pages ago.

I think I am going to get a Steel flange for my MAP sensor. Then I can weld up the pipe no problem... Avoid all this aluminum BS.

jimkelly
if anyone NEEDS a TIG its andyrew. especially for aluminum, and steel. wish i lived nearby, i'd love to observe his activities while drinking beer and eating jujyfruits biggrin.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 22 2016, 10:50 AM) *

I have the full (Were talking FULL) workshop manual. Problem is they look like this.
Click to view attachment
The body harness is a 2001 S4, the engine/dash is a 2001 A4 AWM engine.

Oh Lord...that's painful man. I'll see if I can find anything. Somehow my browser seems to be tuned to locate obscure manuals or supplemental materials. It's a gift screwy.gif .
dan10101
Did you see this?

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.p...rness-Explained

Andyrew
Yup. Its incorrect dry.gif
Andyrew
At this point my biggest concern is in regarding how the starter, alternator and battery wire up. They are my most difficult to pinpoint items. I would imagine it would be obvious, but its really not.

I'll figure out the engine itself when I physically throw the harness in.

In reality I am saving wiring for last and just doing the other stuff I HAVE to do until I run out and then I'll tackle the wiring till its good and done.
76-914
I would work on wiring till I looked like this wacko.gif . I found medication and cursing soothed my brain but did little to complete the task. I would work on anything except wiring until the guilt set in at which time I would attack it once again. This cycle repeated itself at least 15 times before I worked my way thru it. Have fun and try to stay sane. Kent beerchug.gif
JRust
I'd consider relocating that fuel pump. Or at least add some rubber to dampen the sound. Right by your head you are going to hear that pump. Maybe it won't be heard over your killer motor setup though. I guess you get to try it & find out. I can hear mine which is down low on the firewall & behind the passenger seat. Maybe my Walpro is just loud dry.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 22 2016, 07:44 PM) *

I'd consider relocating that fuel pump. Or at least add some rubber to dampen the sound. Right by your head you are going to hear that pump. Maybe it won't be heard over your killer motor setup though. I guess you get to try it & find out. I can hear mine which is down low on the firewall & behind the passenger seat. Maybe my Walpro is just loud dry.gif

The pump inside the surge tank should basically be unheard. I do plan on adding some rubber isolators at some point. Just dont have any at this point.

The 044 is a pretty quiet powerhouse anyways. What I will likely hear is the carb fuel pump that will prime the 044.

For right NOW Im going to leave it but yes at some point noise isolation will be extremely important as I finalize the interior and try to maximize the proper sound.

Small update for tonight. My belt and plugs came in. Belt fits great! So I'll grab a spare to keep in the car. I have 2 spare plugs to keep in the car. They are copper core so I'll probably change them out every oil change, but it'll have a stronger spark with them.

Belt is a 5 rib 37" 5PK940, but anywhere from 36.5 to 37.5 should work. But it should be an over the counter belt piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Chris H.
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 22 2016, 08:54 PM) *

I would work on wiring till I looked like this wacko.gif . I found medication and cursing soothed my brain but did little to complete the task. I would work on anything except wiring until the guilt set in at which time I would attack it once again. This cycle repeated itself at least 15 times before I worked my way thru it. Have fun and try to stay sane. Kent beerchug.gif

Dude...you have to look at those Audi wiring diagrams. They'll make you want to break stuff. Still haven't found anyone who has transcribed them with pics and stuff. Wonder if the Passat has a fairly similar layout. Probably more swaps on those.

Mike Bellis
The electrical diagrams look simple to me... biggrin.gif
I actually overlaid striped color lines on the wires to make it easy to read.

My ECU did crazy stuff on copper plugs so 034 switched them out to get rid of the misfire.

Click to view attachment
76-914
He'll get it after he spends a couple of hours staring at those charts. I was stuck on the "old time" ones then came the "flow charts" which I cussed (remember I'm a plumber not an electrician) for the first few hours but came to appreciate later. Next was the Suby charts which appear similar to yours. What is "K"? Is that your ECU? Didn't see it in the legend. BTW, why are you even futzing over the elec? Doesn't Bellis live close to you? lol-2.gif beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Made a list of stuff I need to do quickly.. did some work today but Ill post that later.

Finish fuel lines and install pre pump and filters -4hr
Silicone coupler plugs install and map sensor - 3hr
Pre oil turbo, tighten drain, add oil, Tighten oil lines.- 1hr
Finish radiator lines - 2hr
Plumb intercooler -1hr
Plumb intercooler coolant hoses -1hr
Finish clutch line install - 1hr
Install sensors on pedal assembly - 3hr
Install knock sensors - .5hr
Mount shifter - 1hr
Install wiring harnesses - 15hr
Wire starter and Battery 5hr
Wire fuel pump - 2hr
Wire radiator pump and fans 2hr
Test fuel system for leaks 2hr
Test cooling system for leaks 2hr

Total time left minimum: 45.5hrs sad.gif
Andyrew
So the progress from this past weekend..

I was not a fan of how tight the coolant lines were going to be coming from the radiator to the water pump. So... I made this drop. This will also support the water pump when the radiator line is clamped under the body. Happy with the turnout on this. Stainless steel is so nice to work with I should have started sooner for this type of stuff. At some point I believe I will make all the lines and just have random sections of hose just for joiners.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Finished welding up the exhaust, I had originally thought I was going to pull the motor but it doesnt look like it will be necessary, nor feasible prior to WCR. I welded the portion near the engine from the inside. Shouldnt have any leaks smile.gif
Click to view attachment

I spent almost 4 hours finishing the exhaust manifold bolts, my back still hurts. I had to make 2 more wrenches to get it as tight as I wanted. This was NOT easy. A swivel doesnt fit in most of the center 6 and you cant get a wrench or even a bent wrench in some of them. I welded a ground down 12mm to a wrench, bent it to fit, and bent a 12mm wrench for the others that that didnt work for. Also there is one that is directly behind the collector that is extremely difficult to start. I put some grease on my ratcheting wrench, put the copper nut on it and turned it one click at a time on my finger till it was on and then repositioned the wrench and was able to actually get a good 1/8 of a turn

Click to view attachment

I ran the lines for the shifter after making some sawzall-smiley.gif I'll weld some supports back in as some of it wasnt necessary. But you can see where the lines go through here. I need to fab up a mount for the shifter and then tighten up the rods on the trans side.
Click to view attachment

Did some more work to the radiator plumbing, working on this and that but its not worth a pic until its done. After the exhaust manifold I put the heat shield back on.

I started plumbing the radiator lines to the radiator and cut some pieces. I might have to weld some pipes for this as well to prevent kinks in the lines but I am running low on 1 1/4" SS pipe only a couple feet left, but should be enough to get what I need to get done, done.

I put my fuel line in place to start the mounting process but either I am missing a AN10 coupler or I missordered. sad.gif
New one (red barf.gif ) coming from LA.
Mike Bellis
Great progress.

I installed my exhaust manifold with the motor out of the car. There is no way I can remove it without removing the engine. I also pinned the nuts with a punch so there is no way they can come loose.
Andyrew
Gotcha. I got the large nuts on there hoping it helps. I had the nuts back out after about 20k miles but it was obvious when it happened.

Ill keep my special tools in the tool bag so I can tighten them on the road if it backs out. They are literally as tight as I can get them. The ones I could get my impact on are not coming off.
Andyrew
While I was waiting for the below welding to cool I pulled the steering column and tried to figure out why it kept binding up on me... well the bolt that was supplimental holding the piece on the shaft that alides in and out for telescoping was hitting. I ground down the bold (its welded in anyways) and then found that the outside of the knuckle was hitting as well. I ground down the knuckle that wasnt structural and then ground the inside of the below to fit.And guess what, no binding and a smooth steering column. Yay!!! I was worried about that one.

Ill tighten it up and try it on the ground. If I dont like it ill scrap it and try again. Not screwing around with my steering column...

Click to view attachment

So the welding I was speaking about..
Click to view attachment

I worked on the clutch master. Pictures explain it pretty good. I am moving the pivot about 60 degrees so the master cylinder stays in the cabin. This will require cutting the tunnel a bit but ill reinforce it when I am done.
Rough position of final below. Ill probably weld the bolt on and use two nuts locked together with about 1/32 of play for free movement. But this works for testing.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Note this is only a temporary pedal box. Permanent will be much different.
Andyrew
Illness has prevented me from making much progress over this extremely important weekend.. I had all day saturday, but had to cut it short after a couple of hours.. sad.gif

And now with me laid up yesterday I am behind even further at work so any possible time I was going to spend on the 914 at night is now being spent on work related items to try and catch me up there... dry.gif

So its very very likely that this car will not make it to WCR. I only have about 3 total weeks left of time I can spend working on the car and only 2 total weekends.

So I was able to make a little progress.. I welded in the clutch slave cylinder mounting brackets and installed the AN lines.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Buuut, the master cylinder is leaking where the pressure fitting is. The seal inside the master cylinder must have shriveled up as the trans side doesnt leak.

I have an OEM master cylinder coming, so hopefully all the leaks will be fixed with that.

Speaking of leaks... Decided I hate aluminum... Bought a steel flange for the MAF and welded it up with some of my spare muffler tubing. Added a bend in it to make it a bit easier for install. Overall it fits really well.
76-914
Andrew, will the MC be inside the cabin with the next pedal reiteration?
Andyrew
Most likely not. Ill probably use some sort of tilton pedals or similar floor mounted and put the MC behind them.
Mike Bellis
Do me a favor and put some gussets on the master brackets. i think flex will be a long term failure issue if you don't. Most likely it will fail in the middle of nowhere...
Andyrew
Oh thats already in the plans, I basically just tacked the brackets in to confirm that it would work in that position. I was planning on adding a third brace once I got it right.
Andyrew
Worked on a solution for the clutch and brake sensors. I think this one might work well after I revise it a hair.

Also got the new clutch master cylinder in, no leaks and its actually incredibly light. I might have the stock pressure plate in there right now so I will probably have to upgrade it before I turn the boost up. Well see.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Current issue is the black sensor is all the way maxed towards the pedal so I need to either weld something to the pedal to activate it or rebend the piece to mount it closer. I currently have it slipped under the pedal assembly and mounted that way. The other option is to only use the white sensor and link them together.

Note this is just the brake pedal sensors, Ill have to weld on another bracket to this for the clutch.
Andyrew
Had a couple of guys over Saturday to get as much done as possible. We were able to cross of a few things on the list.

Ran the radiator lines and tested for leaks. Leak found on one of my welds dry.gif , I'll need to pull the pipe now and touch up the weld.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Ran all the fuel lines and fuel filters, Still need to tighten the main feed line and run new lines tank side.
Click to view attachment

Pulled the CV joint, Tightened all the bolts, reinstalled both CV joints and tightened the stub bolt with an impact. I'll need to torque it down with my breaker bar when I get it on the ground.

Also started wiring the engine bay. Found a couple of plugs that are different than what I have so I'll need to determine what I want to do there. I have older sensors that have a different plug and I can splice them into the wire harness or just buy a new plug and splice that in. We'll see what I end up with.

Worked on the pedal cluster sensors a little bit, still a bit more work to do here but I'll get it situated.
914forme
I now know why you want this engine in your 914, after spending a weekend driving my wife EOS 2.0T, I would love to be running that engine in my 914. Revs, and just when you think it is out of power another surge kicks in. drooley.gif

And then today I go into work and see that one of my employees has just bought him self a Chilli Pepper GTS and I started to think, Engine from that, and transmission from his Cayman, and I would have a sweet 914. blink.gif

I have to keep on my build, switching gears will make me never get it done.

Way to keep making progress on your Andrew, I know this will be a fun ride once done.
Andyrew
Well there had been a lack of progress for the last bit of this month sad.gif

But all for a good reason. Jerika and I made a trip we are not likely to be able to replicate.

Welcome to our European adventure!

This has been a long time planning (2 years)
We started out in Italy visiting Rome, the Amalfie coast, Florance and the Tuscany region, and finally Venice. Proceeded into Germany and started in Munich and the lower Bavarian region visiting the castles, Stugart for the Porsche museum, Nurburg for the Nurburgring, and a trip to Cochem in the Mosel valley wine region. Finally we ended up in Paris France for the last bit of our trip.

The Porsche museum was very cool, lots of very interesting exibits and we could have spent hours listening to all the audio guided tours. They were featuring the "transaxle" era, which really meant the 924 through 968 lineup. They featured some concepts that they had not previously shown the public to my knowledge such as a targa 924 concept and a rear engine awd 944.

The Nurburgring was very fun experience. The town of Nurburg is a tiny tiny town with the Ring being the square of industry, however it was pretty much dead while we were there and I am thankful for that. It looked like the whole place was built to hold a couple hundred thousand people. During the day there were the Prototype race class cars doing test laps around the grand prix track.
I rented a Renault Clio RS200 track prepped car specifically for the ring through Rent Race Car. The morning was full of snow and clouds so the track was damp and a bit slippery but you can see a video of my 4th lap below, I took it pretty easy due to the wetness and I didnt want to loose my insane deposit. Absolutely loved the car, its basically a DSG version of my Fiesta ST and the DSG reminded me of the PDKs.

At 5:15 pm the "Tourist" track opened up and we were allowed on the track, reminded constantly that we were not "racing". That being said it was obvious most people were going 10/10ths, and there were quite a few drivers that were obviously proffesionals. In fact I saw a few of the camafloge wrapped cars being driven very impressively.

The track was extremely impressive, imagine a combination of say laguna seca, willow springs, infineon raceway and about 5 miles of super twisty mountain roads with huge elevation and traction differences. I would absolutely love to have that be my local track, anyone in anything is welcome between the hours of 5:15 and 7:15.

I have probably 2k pics at this time so Ill just load some collages my wife made smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And finally a video as mentioned above of me driving the Nurburgring with Jerika.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6RJtwZqEmQ
914forme
Screw 914 progress the Ring called!! You where being awfully nice to your rental. You do know borrowed cars are the fastest cars you can drive!!!

Mike Bellis
Looks like a fun trip! Glad you made it back OK. I haven't been there in 20 years and need to go back with my wife.

You only have 2 weeks to be ready for WCR. Better hurry!!!
Andyrew
The video is a bit missleading, I was going a solid 85%, leaving 15% on the table for the fact that I really didnt want to spend 6900 euros if I wrecked it, and that it was still pretty wet out.

I also limited my speed to 100mph, as I found that to be a factor for major crashes in my hundreds of test laps on simulators and research. Even with all of that many corners suprized me, I am closer to knowing the track but no where close to knowing the correct line.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 1 2016, 11:03 AM) *

Looks like a fun trip! Glad you made it back OK. I haven't been there in 20 years and need to go back with my wife.

You only have 2 weeks to be ready for WCR. Better hurry!!!

Technically still in France... (We actually heard a french couple say Oh HoHo! today, Jerika said life goal achieved when we heard it)

Andyrew
Been working on wiring the past week. I needed some different connectors on a couple of my sensors so I soldered the new connectors on.

Sadly it looks like I need to extend the harness a bit.
Click to view attachment

Luckily I have a spare harness to pull from.
Click to view attachment

Supplies came in as well to tackle this smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Also got the shifter mounted smile.gif yes its crude. Its temporary until I get the center console built.
Click to view attachment

Video of action. Loving the location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yz_uBNnIPE

Ill be getting some help this weekend smile.gif anyone in the area is welcome to swing by!
Mueller
Nice progress there....

Sorry, I cannot make it, I am still in North Carolina....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.