Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Andyrew
Mike does that come with a controller like the davis pump? Because the davis pump itself is only 225, the controller is another 225/200
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 6 2015, 07:15 PM) *

Mike does that come with a controller like the davis pump? Because the davis pump itself is only 225, the controller is another 225/200

It does not have an LCD unit. It has some kind of controller bolted to it. I simply run a relay and have it start with the fuel pump. It starts slow and ramps up to full speed in a minute or so. Only way to hear it run is with your ear stuck to it.

It also pumps 55gpm. I could not find a rating on the davies unit.
Andyrew
David unit is 30 or 40 depending on the model. (Im thinking 30, they actually reccend smaller for a 1.8

Check out that first video its got some amazing test results showing how the speed did not have that much affect on actual cooling ability as it allowed the radiator to do more cooling.

The swcond vid ahows how interesting the controller is and the main reason why I want to try this system
Mike Bellis
Hopefully it will work well. One this to consider is most cars also have air flow over the engine to take away heat as well. The 914 conversions don't.

I found the 1.8t mechanical pump could not flow well enough to keep my engine cool.

You will be making a lot of HP which equals heat. I want to see this pulsating pump in action.
Andyrew
Mike, Are you still running the stock water pump as well, just without a thermostat?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 6 2015, 09:12 PM) *

Mike, Are you still running the stock water pump as well, just without a thermostat?

Stock pump is there with no belt and spinning freely. I have the thermostat with three 1/8" holes drilled in it.
Andyrew
Mike,

I think I'll take you up on those axle flanges, I have some bus axles and adapters that I can probably just use as spacers (Or sell and make spacers) depending on my requirements there. Combine this with some 944 turbo axle stubs and it should be a relatively bolt in system..

Im still thinking I need to utilize the spacers as my ABS sensor or build the sensors on the back side of the flanges. This would take some real custom machining but I think its 100% doable. (I might enlist some help from guys with many more tools than I smile.gif)

Onto this weekends progress... I fabricated the base of the engine mount. I could have made this level and had the bar go across all the way but that would require a lot of measuring and the engine in place. Heck I may still do that. BUT This gets me a low clearance bar that I can tie into. Bar is 1 1/2" DOM and is pretty overkill when you really look at it. I left an extra 10" overhanging total and will just use that for the real fabrication points of the chassis to the engine and cut off the excess. I am using the stock motor mount brackets and motor mounts themselves (The one's I am currently using are racing motor mounts and a very high density, I might switch one out for a stock mount to eliminate some vibration).
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
How are you going to clock the transaxle so the shafts are level? blink.gif

I'll dig the flanges out for the next time I see you.
Andyrew
I'll just adjust the engine/trans so the shafts are level. Im really not anticipating a huge issue here. Since the engine can be relatively anywhere within about 15 degrees I'll just move it forward/back left/right till the shafts are equal. The shafts will be the largest priority for the engine placement. I'll find the location that puts the trans at the right height and the shafts at an appropriate angle at right height and pivot the engine till it clears as much as possible with the largest ground clearance. I think I am going to place the engine while its on 3 small jacks and just build the mount around that.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 7 2015, 10:13 PM) *

I'll just adjust the engine/trans so the shafts are level. Im really not anticipating a huge issue here. Since the engine can be relatively anywhere within about 15 degrees I'll just move it forward/back left/right till the shafts are equal. The shafts will be the largest priority for the engine placement. I'll find the location that puts the trans at the right height and the shafts at an appropriate angle at right height and pivot the engine till it clears as much as possible with the largest ground clearance. I think I am going to place the engine while its on 3 small jacks and just build the mount around that.

That's basically what I did. I put a level on the tranny since the motor has no real level parts.
Andyrew
Got a box of goodies today!

Gonna spend quite some time identifying everything... BUT

Top box is engine harness
Bottom box is dash harness plus the gas pedal (DBW)
To the right from the top down is: Ecu, Coils, Throttle body, MAF

Not pictured is alternator, and the dash cluster itself is on its way.

What I need now is the body harness itself. So that will be difficult/fun. I've got a couple local guys parting their cars out but I havent been able to convince them to let me at their parts car with three guys for a day... I can do pick and pull but Id rather have most of the stuff ripped out by someone else biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
All you need is the ECU harness, Dash cluster and harness, gas pedal and ODB plug. Everything else is extra. Wait, are you still going with the CCU?
Andyrew
Yup.. Doing the whole shebang. ABS, traction control, ect. So I want to pick up a body harness to replace all of my current wiring. Whatever I dont use will either be unplugged/coded out/resistors. I'll have my tuner just remove everything I dont need.
Mike Bellis
I'll be watching your wheel speed sensor solution... idea.gif
Andyrew
My understanding is that the speed sensor is based on the abs sensor. My plan is 944 turbo front abs sensors and custom rear to match my overzised rear tires.
Andyrew
Oh and the rear will be on the cv adapter trans side.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 12 2015, 07:14 PM) *

Oh and the rear will be on the cv adapter trans side.

If you go with something like this http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant...r-drive-flanges I have 3/16" magnets for you to embed. I think I have 12 left over, 3/8" long.
Andyrew
Based on my understanding most abs systems have the magnet on the sensor side, but Ill let you know! The spacer/adapter will be custom milled I suspect.
Andyrew
Playing around with the tire calculator I realized that I can use a 245/45/17 tire up front instead of the 245/40/17 tire currently up front and all of a sudden the front/rear ratio is perfect vs being 1" off.... I'll keep this in the back of my brain as I go through the ABS stuff... This might let me use stock Porsche ABS rings in the rear vs milling my own rear rings (an extra 5% more slots to compensate)

I'll have to see what I can come up with for that.

I also found out some different ABS ring sizes that I can pick up so I might just mill that into my spacer for my CV's (should be relatively easy, make the OD on the spacer the same as the ID on the ABS ring, weld on.)
JRust
WTF.gif Andrew I gotta say. My head hurts just reading about all that wiring confused24.gif

I don't have the patience to do all you are doing. You & Mike are "Nuckin Futs" man. My kind of people of course evilgrin.gif . Watching your thread to see this come together. Going to be sweet. Can't wait to go for a ride in it
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2015, 05:46 PM) *

You & Mike are "Nuckin Futs" man.

happy11.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 13 2015, 05:46 PM) *

WTF.gif Andrew I gotta say. My head hurts just reading about all that wiring confused24.gif

I don't have the patience to do all you are doing. You & Mike are "Nuckin Futs" man. My kind of people of course evilgrin.gif . Watching your thread to see this come together. Going to be sweet. Can't wait to go for a ride in it

I think Mike is a bit more nutz than I am to be honest! His wiring was way more difficult than what mine will end up being, and his whole car is just way more off the wall (In a good way)!

My wiring will be limited to plug and play. The MOST difficult thing will be figuring out the lights and a solution to the headlight relay. It WILL take a while for me to run the wires and eliminate the non essentials but the whole system can run with pretty much everything I am not going to be using removed.

The more difficult bits here will be the ABS fabrication, brake line fabrication, and figuring out the correct position of the stability control sensors and possibly tuning that code (Never heard of anyone doing it... so that will be SUPER difficult.. Luckily it can be switched off until its sorted out).

However all of that relies on someone actually buying the current v8 engine setup... I am at the point where I am getting anxious to put the 4 cylinder engine in place and start mocking everything up.. I can do a lot of wiring research in the meantime for what does what on the wiring harness and I still need to get my hands on a body harness....

I grabbed this and some other bits from my dads place.. This water pump should make a nice air to water intercooler pump. Pretty sure a lot of guys use this type of pump for this function.
Click to view attachment

Mike Bellis
I don't yet know what your donor car will be to get the body harness... When I did mine I went here: https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do, paid a $35 for 24 hour access and downloaded every document VW ever made for my donor VIN. Well worth it. Full body wiring diagrams, tech articles, manuals, etc...

I don't know if Audi has a similar website but this was the best $35 I ever spent. I bet I downloaded 100 files or more.

Andyrew
Hmm.. Very interesting. This is what I've been looking for..

Mind sending me an example of one of the wiring harnesses so I can see what they have?
Or just posting a pic of it here?
Andyrew
I've been downloading some diagrams from the parts book, but there is no wiring charts or anything...
http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?i=cat_v...567890&hg=9
Andyrew
One hour later and I've downloaded all there is to be known for the B5 A4 chassis.. Thanks Mike! This surely will be a help.
Andyrew
Been reading up on the stability control system and its requirements for the past 30 minutes... smile.gif

Its doable! Requires more bits than I thought but still doable!
Andyrew
Had a couple weeks of no progress due to a vacation but I am back on it slowly!

Got an oil cooler and fan, currently have it hard mounted, but am debating putting some rubber in between the metal.

I still have one tab left to weld but ran out of time tonight.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have the smallest SPAL fan behind it that fits nicely in the cubby I made. I will be using some foam between the oil cooler and the body to make a nice seal to the area below the headlight and cutting slits in the front of the fender well (directly behind the oil cooler) for the air escape and finally closing off the area under the headlights so air passes through cleanly.

Lines will be run basically straight back to the engine, likely in either the center tunnel or possibly in the dr side rocker.

Since I am keeping the factory oil-water cooler I dont need much of an external oil cooler. Still debating on line size but I might try to run 8-an if anyone knows of a pressure loss calculator for AN lines let me know.

Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Finished the mounting of the oil cooler and added a little padding.

Click to view attachment
Here you can see the beginning of the radiator mount, 1/8" bar makes up the radiator vertical support, the bit holes in the floor will be tig welded later to bring the strength back. Thats where the lower radiator mounts sit. There is a steel 5/8 x 5/8 U channel (commercial window glass stop....) that the lower portion vertical portion of the radiator sits in allowing for no air flow past the radiator. The floor is 16ga steel fully welded. Then everything is hit with zinc galvy.

Click to view attachment
And the weld joints hit with calking.

Click to view attachment
And painted rattle can.
Andyrew
Click to view attachment

Finally the upper section is built. The vertical radiator supports are joined by another piece of 5/8x5/8 U channel steel (glass stop). for the radiator to sit on. We have some bulb seal on the radiator and some foam seal on the radiator support. Vertical gaps are taken up with foam seal (weatherstripping).

The upper section is more 16ga steel and I am debating on tack welding it, but I most likely will bolt it down with bulb seal underneath.

Vertical gaps have not been taken into account yet as I havent bought my AC condenser yet.

And I am testing with using the strap in the middle to hold everything down or build straps on each side that connect to the factory mount tabs that I hacked off a bit to much. Still more thinking to do here.
Chris H.
Good start. That's gonna work well for you. I like how close you put the rad to the front of the trunk. Question...When you drilled the holes circled below did they go all the way through the trunk floor or not? It doesn't look like it. When I set mine up it looked like there were 2 layers of metal there with a gap in between but was too chicken to try drilling them out smile.gif .

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
The goal was to put it as close to the front as possible. Yes I did drill through both layers which is why I want to tig the holes.. sad.gif
Chris H.
So could I theoretically drill through ONE layer and have enough space to drop the rad mounts and hold the rad in place or are the two layers of metal right on top of each other?

On the bottom of mine I have a piece of sheet metal with mounts in it similar to the renegade setup but it doesn't get the radiator as low as yours so I can't get it as close to the front. I'm going to slightly trim the top mounts which will give me a bit more clearance.
Andyrew
They were within about 1/8" of each other(I'll take a pic tonight), If you cut the bottom of the radiator tabs down that much theoretically yes you could, but I dont think it would realistically work especially with how much you have to tilt the radiator at that point to make it fit.
Chris H.
Interesting...good to know.

Here are some pics of my setup in case it gives you any ideas to use. Ignore the wires taped to the floor. I'll move those later this year but it requires taking the entire system out which I don't feel like doing yet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

On the bottom There is a piece of sheet metal that is attached at the front to the former stock valance mounting holes. At the radiator there is a 90 degree lip bent upward about a half inch or so across and the radiator is bolted to it. at the very ends the metal extends another couple of inches and I installed rubber mounts to them which the radiator sits in.

Click to view attachment

It's a '75 so at the very front of the car there are a couple of nubs that dictate where your side panels that funnel air to the radiator can be. Since I was pretty sure I'd be playing with the setup I bent a couple of u-shaped pieces and attached them with the stock bumper shock bolts. That way no holes drilled or welds. They're in there good and there's downward pressure on the bottom piece. Most important thing is to get ALL the air to go through the rad.

Click to view attachment

The top piece which you can see in this pic slides in just underneath the hood seal channel pretty tightly. The back edge is bent so that is can be attached to the radiator at the mounting holes. When it's fully in place the radiator doesn't move AT ALL, but my plan is to put some fasteners in the channel and small bolts on the attachment points on the radiator to make sure it doesn't work its way loose over time.

I'd still like to get the rad setup closer to the front, but for now I'm gonna start driving it.
matthepcat
Looking good. Fabricating radiator shrouding is annoying....the fine balance of some flex but not too much flex....and how to keep the aluminum from rubbing holes into each other.
Chris H.
Right, loose enough to flex a little, but not too loose. Andrew's got the right idea.

Matt, what about that Subie car in the classifieds? If you're looking for one there's not a better deal out there.

Good point on the rubbing...last thing on my list is to trim the side pieces where they touch the rad and insert some foam or rubber to keep the metal on metal thing from happening.
Andyrew
This is the bulb seal that I bought from Home depot. Really flexible stuff and dirt cheap. The adhesive is very sticky as well which is a plus.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-...V25BK/202844545

Chris your setup looks really nice!

What is the small air bleed line going to, a heater?
matthepcat
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 13 2015, 06:00 PM) *

Matt, what about that Subie car in the classifieds? If you're looking for one there's not a better deal out there.

Yea I checked it out. I want a turbo motor...I would be buying a whole care for a transmission, engine cradle and cable shifter.

Chris H.
Thank you. I finally manned up and cut a hole big enough to bring some air in to the radiator. Buttoning things up tonight.

Good call on the weatherstripping. Looks like good stuff.

The small line goes all the way back to my VW expansion/recovery tank. I could probably just do a bleeder valve there but it really purges air out quickly with this setup. One or two cycles from empty and it's good to go.
Chris H.
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 13 2015, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 13 2015, 06:00 PM) *

Yea I checked it out. I want a turbo motor...I would be buying a whole care for a transmission, engine cradle and cable shifter.

Ah...I get it. That's right you have a 6!
Mike Bellis
Nice! Should be driving any day. smile.gif
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
I decided to simply bolt the shroud to the body/support. 1/4 20 bolts with nylon nuts. I doubt itll come loose as I used the impact.

Click to view attachment
side pic
Chris H.
thumb3d.gif Looks great! That thing's not going anywhere. The hood will lock it in place when you close it.
Andyrew
Still trying to dial in a body wiring harness... I've got one lead and hes getting ready to pull it.. So hopefully all that stuff comes in the next month and I can get started laying out the wiring.

I pulled the old radiator hoses, grabbed a plastic container and put all the radiator bits in the container. (NEED TO SELL THE V8 STUFF!)

I almost grabbed a spare engine but it got sold to quickly. Grabbed a spare 1.8 FWD trani for $60 delivered to me though smile.gif Seller might have some other bits for me as well so we will see. This trani will have shorter gearing than the 2.8 trani I have but I am not yet sure if I will want that or not. Either way its a great pickup for me smile.gif
Mike Bellis
BTW, Conedodger has an wrecked Audi for sale with a new motor...
Andyrew
Hmm... Doubt I will need anything.. I just got a bunch of nifty parts and my wiring harness is being pulled from a guy in NY this weekend..

My car fund cash flow is sure in the red lately sad.gif. I think Im going to have a fire sale on the engine pretty shortly...
matthepcat
Put the motor on ebay/ craigslist before you go too low on price.
Mike Bellis
If I still had my El Camino, I'd be all over that motor! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.