Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
mittelmotor
Great thread, and very cool car!

I'm putting the finishing touches on my LS1 conversion (Renegade) and I was wondering how your transaxle was holding up. My car has 225-width rear tires, so that'll be a safety valve of sorts, and most of my driving will be hard on it in 1st and 2nd, then easy into 3rd (which is actually 4th, as 2nd is my new 1st gear, if that makes sense). Some say that 4th is the weak link.

My engine is stock, so maybe 260 rwhp and 280 lb-ft.

BTW, I've bought a lot of stuff from Rich Bontempi....a super helpful guy.
Andyrew
Trani has held up very well considering. cv joints havent done so hot though.
Andyrew
Update!

Been putting the car off since it drove like crap last time I drove it. Been about a year..

So over the past couple weeks I've done a couple of little things.

1.Replaced the starter with a new High torque one from ebay, Side note, the spacer is required..
2. Replaced all the HEI bits in the distributor with a Proform Tune up kit
3. Replaced the Holley 600 with a factory rebuilt Edelbrock performer 600 model 9906

4. Replaced fuel pump and fuel filters

To do:
1.Fix leak in radiator (Top fill is leaking. should be an easy welded fix).
2.Flush coolant system and rebuild system to behave like a modern constant air 3.removal system.
4.Time engine
5.Fine tune carb
6.Redo throttle linkage/ routing

At this point out of the box the edelbrock carb has much more torque than the old holley and probably way more power. I havent given it more than 75% as the throttle linkage needs a hair more work and I was just "babying it" around the neighborhood. Couple dounuts, burnouts, drifts later I concluded that it very much likes to spin the rear tires without a seconds thought.

Andyrew
For those curious whats been taking all my time...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
My daily is a 2002 Audi Allroad thats pretty much stock apart from a navigation head unit, tint and a exhaust. I've been having a lot of fun with it on some fire trails and some medium climbs.

Then any chance I get I take the bike out..
Click to view attachment

But Im deciding to switch gears on the bike, So the ZX6R is going to go away and I'll try and find me a nice Vstrom 1000 or something similar.
Andyrew
Been letting the 914 sit in the garage. I'll be picking it up this winter to do some more work on it.

I washed it yesterday for the first time this year I think. sad.gif

Took it around the block but was stopped short when I noticed the front end was clunking. The front wheel has slop it in so I checked the bearing and retightened it but it was fine. So My thoughts are either steering rack or maybe torsion bar(Bar feels sloppy).

So we'll pick this up later.

In the meantime, I had sold my Ninja 600 earlier this year and picked up a Triumph Tiger 955i. Much more suited to my skill level and I love it. I could use another 20hp to make it feel as quick as the 600 but its every bit as fast through the rough twisty canyon roads. Fantastic all around bike.

Also I just sold my Allroad recently and have an order in for a Fiesta St due to my commuting needs. Oh and its orange smile.gif I'll be getting it first part of november and will use my bike for the time being.
Andyrew
Heres a recent of the 914.
Mike Bellis
There's a drought going on. poke.gif

I want to see the Fiesta!
Andyrew
Meh, Used about 5 gallons.. The 914 is super easy to wash..

I want to see the Fiesta to... sad.gif I should be getting it the first week of Nov. I have a build date of Oct 27th (Ordered it from the factory... No non sunroof orange vehicles were available, Besides I saved like 5k from picking a car with options I didnt want and at a dealer that didnt want to haggle)

Should look just like this. I'll be dipping the wheels black like my 914 biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Rand
This sounds like a Top Gear episode....

The old put to pasture 914 v8 vs....
Ninja 600 vs....
Triumph Tiger 955i vs...
Fiesta???

Where's the Stig?
Andyrew
9000th post!

I took delivery of the Fiesta ST in early Dec and have been driving it like mad! I have confirmed it is everything through the twisties that I want it to be, and that has confirmed for me what I want to do with the 914.

Its time to go ahead and proceed with something different! I am going to do the same engine conversion that Mike Bellis has. The Audi/VW 1.8 turbo. I will not be doing a 6 speed swap at this time, however I am going to be using the v6 transmission so I have a bit longer gearing, and combining that with my taller tires should yield an acceptable cruising rpm.
First stage will be to mock up and install the engine/trani setup similar to Mike's. Second state will be strip the car of its wiring and replace it all with the Audi's wiring. Then mock up and install the pedal cluster with the brake reservoir (That'll be a bit of a challenge), cutting down the Audi dash, and figuring a way to make the climate control work. It'll be a long arduous process that'll probably take years, but at this rate its either this, the car sits for more years and I drive the Fiesta (Since its a hoot), or I sell it.
Im going to take my time with it and do it right. I want to be able to drive this thing coast to coast sometime.

Im going to be funding this partly with painting some cars in the downtime

Engine: Audi AEB 1.8t Engine, rebuild unit and install upgraded rods for 600hp capacity
Transmission: Audi A6 2.8 5 speed FWD unit
Turbo: Comp Turbo triple ball bearing CTB5356 10psi 275hp, 35psi 500+hp.
Wiring: Strip all Porsche wiring, Replace with Audi wiring 100%
Engine Management: Modified OEM Audi Ecu
Power brakes: Yes
ABS integration: Yes
Traction control integration: Yes
Launch control: Yes
Cruise control: Yes
Climate control/AC: Yes
Alarm: Yes
OBD2 full control: Yes
Check engine light: No smile.gif
Front trunk and rear trunk: YES!

Looking forward to this!
Andyrew
Photo of the Snail that is going on this engine vs the factory snail. I actually drove it like this at 10psi for about 5k miles before developed an oil leak (ended up being the oil filter sandwich plate... $5 fix) that parked the car for a year and I went back to stock.
It is currently pulled off the A4 and waiting to go on my spare engine/trani that will go in the 914. biggrin.gif

As mentioned this snail is good for 500+HP on race gas on this engine. Probably 400-450 on pump, but I will run it around 350 most of the time and bump it up when I need it.

mgp4591
Okay, that's just freakin' SICK!! You're forgiven for not driving your 914 to WCR... shades.gif
Mike Bellis
piratenanner.gif
Andyrew
I was questioned about radiator hose routing for constant air purging and I think now would be a great time to explain that in a diagram.

This does a really good job of explaining the system and whats what. It would be easy to remove either the turbo or the heater core from this system.

In my new setup with the 1.8T engine I will be utilizing this almost 100% and modifying it to fit the mid engine layout. This means I will probably pull the heater line from the hot side vs going off the block to prevent from running multiple lines under/through the car.
Mike Bellis
I have removed #4 and run a sandwich plate to a mocal thermostat on the way to my setrab oil cooler. I still have everything else in some fashion.
Andyrew
Working on some sketches for the concept dash/interior durring my commute smile.gif
Andyrew
Finished up my dash /interior concept.

Gotta figure out if I want to remake the door panels as well, but most likely smile.gif

Andyrew
Pt 2
Andyrew
Found some old pics of the car smile.gif This was from my first day getting it home and cleaning it
Chris H.
Wow...flashback...was that before you even had a driver's license?

Good call on the Audi drivetrain. You already know your way around a 1.8t. Might want to get a good look at Mike's engine cradle. He just re-did it. Even though you're going with the 5 speed it should be a similar setup.
Andyrew
Chris,
Yes it was! I was 14 at the time. This was before I even had a permit! I had been saving for quite a while and was choosing between a 510, a 914 or a 60's mustang. With my dad being into 944's at the time it was a natural progression to step into. I actually partially funded it with the back yard remodel you could see in some of the pics.

I plan on conversing with Mike about some of the more detailed aspects of his conversion like he conversed with me about 1.8's smile.gif The cradle will be a difficult point. Depending on how quickly I get into building it I might have to outsource the bends (My dad has a bender but he's moving to oregon in 5 months). But welding is my strong point so I dont have any real qualms about building it.
Mike Bellis
Most of my cradle is 1/2" & 5/8" DOM. I bent it with a 3/4" conduit bender. The triangulated small tube makes it light and strong.
Andyrew
Conduit bender eh?

Like this puppy?

http://www.amazon.com/NSI-Industries-CB75-...=conduit+bender
IPB Image
mgp4591
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 19 2015, 10:28 PM) *

Most of my cradle is 1/2" & 5/8" DOM. I bent it with a 3/4" conduit bender. The triangulated small tube makes it light and strong.

So... any pics of your cradle, in a previous thread maybe?
Mike Bellis
Just like that bender. You will need a piece of threaded pipe or the correct handle to go with it. Either search for conduit bending on Google for instructions or I can come out and help you.

For pics of my cradle, see my build thread. Link below.
Andyrew
Sounds good, Did you heat up the metal before bending or did it roll over OK by hand? I have a feeling I'll be attaching it to my vice on my bench so I doubt I'll need a handle smile.gif
Mike Bellis
They are meant to be bent on the ground with a handle and foot. Notice the ridged part on the right side of t your pic, this is for your foot. The tube hooks into the left side and pulling while stepping makes the bent. Curves and angles are very repeatable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zimw9PShuww
Andyrew
The video I saw earlier didnt show some of the stuff on this video. Great video! I didnt realize you use your foot for the pressure.
Andyrew
Well the SBC kit has been posted. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=254491

On a more promising note I did receive my Boxster shifter and linkage!!

Also I have been playing around with fabric for the interior and practicing sewing smile.gif

Deciding on colors for the interior, but I think I want to match this with orange stitching, and black suede for the seats/doors with leather accents.
Click to view attachment

I've always loved brown interior, never had it!
Mueller
Hey Andrew,

I bet it'll be a screamer with a built 1.8...I hope to go for a ride in Mikes 1.8 this weekend, at least around the block or a quick freeway trip! (hint, hint Mike! )

For bending the tubing, also look into filling with sand...depending on the radius, with or without heat...i have an oxy/acetylene setup if you want to come over if you need some extra heat.

A few youtube video and if you have a VCR, I have a tape you can borrow, or you can rent the DVD from here: https://smartflix.com/store/video/141/Working-with-Tubing

If you need anything CNC'd or plasma cut, don't be shy.

Andyrew
Mike,
I will need to come up with some axle flangr adapters, I think I am going to use the bus CV's that i have with the outer adapters and make some inner adapters for the Audi flanges. Ill let you know when i get to that point and let you know. smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on the sand! My dad is finishing buildin a GSXr powered buggy so we have been playing with bending larger pipe with a HF bender, but judging from the bends ive seen I think the conduit bender might work better for the small diameter pipe Ill be working with. I do have a map/oxy torch and thatll get what i need red hot so that should be sufficient, but thanks!!

I also really want a ride in Mikes car smile.gif
Mike Bellis
You guys will have to arm wrestle to see who rides first.
Andyrew
Got a little bit of work done. Hopefully I will finish up the shift linkage this weekend smile.gif

Click to view attachment
The main pivot that I used was a timing belt idle pulley. I planned on buying a new one and this fit the bill really nicely! Most of it was made from flat stock, the bit that goes around the trans shaft was the most difficult as after 3 times going to the steel shop I got the wrong diameter... In the end I settled on doing what Mike did and have it bolt tighten vs just a slip tighten.
Click to view attachment
You can see there is a lot of extra metal on the setup and it will be trimmed off after all is said and done. What is left is fabricating the brackets to hold the cables in place then to test the system and adjust. My bench testing shows that it seems to work just fine, The linkage moves a bit more than necessary to find reverse, but I dont really see that as a long term issue.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
I did some maths to figure out angles and lengths... Its interesting that my setup is so much different than Mikes. in terms of lengths and angles. I highly doubt there will be much if any difference in feel.

Click to view attachment
Oh and a fun toy smile.gif
I hope I dont go overboard with this... But I plan to hide little Porsche crest everywhere, and a couple obvious one's in the headrests. If anyone wants me to imprint any leather or vinyl PM me. Its fairly small..
Andyrew
Purchased this radiator and took some measurements. It actually came in 2 days I think? 2-ROW/CORE ALUMINUM RADIATOR+BOLT-ON RED FAN SHROUD 00-05 TOYOTA CELICA GT/GTS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180901154597

Click to view attachment
Comes in two boxes separately, packaged fairly nice. However one of my plastic drain plug screws was broken. I plan on plugging those with a bolt anyways.
Click to view attachment
Core height
Click to view attachment
Actual height with mounting points
Click to view attachment
Width inlet to outlet
Click to view attachment
width side to side top, also shows plastic drain (one in upper right and lower left)
Click to view attachment
Width of the side tanks middle
Click to view attachment
Horrible placement of tabs for the radiator shroud. I THINK it will bolt on but totally skewed angle and it doesnt really sit flat. I'll be using a gasket/foam underneath.
Click to view attachment
One hole lined up... This was with the shroud in what I believe to be optimum position.
Click to view attachment
Total width just under 6", Core width is a full 2"

Side note, Core is a true 2 row. You can see/feel inside where the hose inlets are, and it looks to be of fairly good construction.

I also tested the fans and they did not flow what I felt to be enough to cool the system, Especially if I have a condenser in front of it. Fans are a claimed 1250 and I suspect closer to 7-800. I have an old Audi 12" fan that pushed out noticeably more air in a more uniform fashion. Also my 16" fan just blew both out of the water (For kicks my Lincoln mark 7 fan pushed ME back...)

I suspect I will be replacing the fans down the road, probably before I even run them as they are just some Chinese fan..
matthepcat
No Chinese fans allowed

IPB Image

smile.gif

Looking forward to your build.
dakotaewing
Andy,

Are the radiator inlet and outlet on the bottom of the radiator?
I haven't bought one of these, but I have been looking for a while -
It always appeared to me that the photos showed the radiators upside down...

Also, can you tell me which tranny your using? I see the post about the boxter shifter and linkage, but looks like I missed the post on the tranny details...
Chris H.
Yeah I had to bend/open the holes to get the fans to mount. The radiator itself is pretty good. The fans should be enough for my setup but we'll see. Inlet and outlet are at the bottom, which is nice. I forgot to plug one of the drain holes on first start BTW...oops! Had to take the whole damn shroud back apart.
dakotaewing
Chris,

Do you have any pics of your shroud or the assembly of the shroud ?
It would be interesting to see what you did -
Chris H.
Sure. I'll dig them up.
Andyrew
Dakota,

Trans is from a 92 Audi 100 FWD v6.

I've got a spare A4 quattro transmission that I am going to see about pulling some gears from to make the V6 box more 1.8 friendly. I dont mind being long toothed (Drove a 944 turbo for many years) but I dont want it to fall out of boost...
Mike Bellis
I find my gears too short most of the time. The V6 gearing should be fine at your future HP level.
Andyrew
Well that GT28 is VERY responsive in comparison to the Comp turbo that I am planning on running. Here is a video of a guy with the same turbo in his 1.8. Since I am going to be spinning this engine higher it will help but I dont think I'll have nearly the powerband that you have, and with the turbo lag even in RPM, a bit tighter first and second should help. It'll still be longer than your 1.8 box. What is your trani code or gear ratio's? I cant seem to find any passat trani ratio's to compare to the Audi ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1BH_9IJKWw

I have been considering bumping my engine to a 2.0L when I rebuild my engine so as to help with the low end.

Below is a link to the spreadsheet of the three gearboxes and others.. The yellow one is the V6 box as it stands (Audi 100 V6 fwd), the first grey is the A4 1.8T quattro box, and the tan is the custom box with the gears listed on the side. I was planning on snatching a V6 A4 box from PnP that would have the taller 5th gear than my Audi 100 box. This would really help lower cruising RPM and noise. If anything I could open the box in PNP and just buy the gears or something...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kikaf08oij9ijx/A...atios.xlsx?dl=0
Mike Bellis
Mine is an EZG.

See spreadsheet...
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 30 2015, 12:36 PM) *

Aha,

Well thats the same FD,1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th as my proposed custom box... I need to go for a ride....

What size rear tires are you running, IIRC your running a shorter tire than me, combined with me running more RPM would make my gears feel much longer than your box. I remember when I had my KO3 and shifted at 6k I felt like it was a pretty short gearbox and hated going into 3rd for 60.. When I went with the big turbo and increase the limit to 7250 I loved the gear spacing.

245/50/16
I love the spread of 3-4. 1st & 2nd are short and 5th needs to be taller. Oddly enough my 6 speed has the same final ratio (.003 difference), doing 80mph at 3200 rpm. 1st on the 6 speed is super short.
Andyrew
Got the cable shifter done yesterday. Very happy with it! I need to come up with some way of retaining the cables, right now there pretty tight I have to wiggle them with some force to put them in place, but its possible itll come out. Maybe a slotted hose clamp or zip ties (Or I could leave it... I seriously doubt it'll come loose) Whole shifter mechanism weighs 4.2lbs including the mounts. Better than I was expecting smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN1-YbGolBw

I mounted the engine on a cart to push around a bit better. I think I am going to start with an engine bar mount bar similar to the 914 bar. Should be easy enough to fabricate. Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Steam Punk! smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
I have a better set of 100mm axle flanges for you. Fully round without the flat spot.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 1 2015, 10:15 PM) *

Steam Punk! smilie_pokal.gif

IPB Image

Hahaha just saw this smile.gif Very true

I've been spending a bunch of time working on my excel sheet and getting all my purchases in order.

Did some research on my water pump and decided on the Davies Craig pump and electronic controller.
http://www.amazon.com/Davies-Craig-Metal-E...ds=davies+craig
I am considering the new LCD display as well just because, but its going to get hidden behind my dash so I am not really that sure if I want it..
https://daviescraig.com.au/switches-controllers

Heres some info on the pumps and their research. Combined with their controller I think it would be a pretty efficient system..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrfux_-6RVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4BQR23r4I
Mike Bellis
I highly recommend this pump/ It's a little cheaper too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/emp-e389a-bk14

I considered the davis pump but this one runs silent and is mounted in line. Works great on the 1.8t also most davis pumps ship without fittings. So there is an extra cost.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.