Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2019, 04:06 PM) *

Autox went well. Still having clutch issues and I was getting a pretty large amount of oil blowby but it is overfilled by about half a qt. Starting it was a pain a couple times but I'll fix that.

It's been a long time since I drove a 914 at speed and never a turbo. The engine seemed to be made for autox, I had amazing throttle response and tons of power. I was never ever lacking for power and I was just above wastegate pressure. I probably could have dropped it to the wastegate, but I was partial throttle 95% of the track just struggling for traction.... Hell the back straight through the lights I couldn't get it pointed straight fast enough almost every run and just put the hammer down and let the tires spin all the way through the lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLC59RiHe8

At this point I need to work on:

1. Clutch
2. Starter
3. Catch can for the blowby
4. Balancing the car, maybe front bar.
5. Balancing both sets of wheels (death wobble in both but horrible on the Gotties)

6. Interior
7. More tuning for more power. (Barely beat a modified BMW 335i on the freeway)

Is blowby a product of having a turbo? beerchug.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 30 2019, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2019, 04:06 PM) *

Autox went well. Still having clutch issues and I was getting a pretty large amount of oil blowby but it is overfilled by about half a qt. Starting it was a pain a couple times but I'll fix that.

It's been a long time since I drove a 914 at speed and never a turbo. The engine seemed to be made for autox, I had amazing throttle response and tons of power. I was never ever lacking for power and I was just above wastegate pressure. I probably could have dropped it to the wastegate, but I was partial throttle 95% of the track just struggling for traction.... Hell the back straight through the lights I couldn't get it pointed straight fast enough almost every run and just put the hammer down and let the tires spin all the way through the lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLC59RiHe8

At this point I need to work on:

1. Clutch
2. Starter
3. Catch can for the blowby
4. Balancing the car, maybe front bar.
5. Balancing both sets of wheels (death wobble in both but horrible on the Gotties)

6. Interior
7. More tuning for more power. (Barely beat a modified BMW 335i on the freeway)

Is blowby a product of having a turbo? beerchug.gif

Yes, specifically a big turbo. Typically means the rings aren't seated well when it's this much but the oil was overfilled in the engine so I'm going to blame that.

I've never done a compression test since the rebuild so I don't know if the rings are a problem but for now It's not worth me fixing since everything runs well.
Andyrew
Drove it for about 2 hours on friday with a friend around the area. He said he noticed some black smoke on power which would mean raw fuel, not a worry. But I notice it seemed pretty down on power on low and high boost. It was a hot 95deg day so its possible it was pulling a bunch of timing... It runs good but just down on power on boost. I think its time to just check the vitals of the engine out before I go lean on it some more with more boost/better fuel.

Im going to do a compression test and a pressure test to see if I have a leak in the system maybe and then do some logs.

I bled the clutch some more but havent gone for an extended drive yet. I'll need to get the wheels balanced before I do that again (Both sets). I suspect one or both of the front wheels of the track set of tires are bent and might need to see a shop.

76-914
At least you're driving it! beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 8 2019, 03:43 PM) *

At least you're driving it! beerchug.gif

Exactly! agree.gif
Andyrew
Compression check was good enough. Numbers were 115, 112, 111, 111.

Below 100 is rebuild time. 120 is the low threshold for a new rebuild. So it's not perfect but let's just say for arguments sake I have low compression pistons and be done with it eh? biggrin.gif

This just means I can run big boost numbers. Like 35+.

I bled the clutch but haven't driven it. I need to balance both sets of wheels still and there's a laundry list. But I think a pressure test next and a breather box. Then I'll test removing the line to the wastegate and seeing if we're actually maxing out the wastegate or not before I put the new one in. Gotta get some 100 in the tank and or maybe some E85 just to be safe. I'm ready to make some power with this car.

Dad's got his clutch working, Chris making some BIG numbers on his LS3, and with the new C8 coming out I have serious 500hp envy. 288whp was nice but it still feels slow to me. I need me some 400whp. Which should be no issues on high 20s boost and good gas. And if that still feels slow, well then cams and an intake and some more tune work and we're nearing 500whp....

driving.gif
tygaboy
Ladies and Gentlemen:: Welcome to HorsePower WARS! happy11.gif

Andrew,
Just a heads up that if you end up with more than 518 hp, it'll be your fault that I had to upgrade my LS to twin turbos! poke.gif

It's great to see you getting your car sorted. Keep up the great work.
EdwardBlume
Wow. What a great build! Nice work!
Andyrew
We'll work has been keeping me way to busy so no real updates.

I have been able to drive it a bit. I had a smoking issue that has been resolved with a catch can. I made a temporary one out of a oil can to have a proof of concept.

Worked great and no smoking. I turned the boost up to 14psi (wastegate max) and no visible smoke. (pulls great too... Damn things legitimately fast in 3rd. ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJxDlkzOTRg

I went to @tygaboy over the weekend with @arkitect and we worked on a couple projects.

I cut up some of his donor chassis to make the rear trunk firewall for my car and formed up an oil catch can.

The firewall is going to work great with about 30 hours smile.gif

The catch can should be good in about 5. . But it's only a revision one... The dimensions i used don't work that great. But I'll keep with it to give me a better proof of concept for the design.
Cairo94507
Cool to see it moving along. I am sure you guys had a fun time. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
It's always a great time when Andrew comes by the Red Barn!
Fun seeing you and Dave. My shop is always open for you.
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 12 2019, 10:15 PM) *

We'll work has been keeping me way to busy so no real updates.

I have been able to drive it a bit. I had a smoking issue that has been resolved with a catch can. I made a temporary one out of a oil can to have a proof of concept.

Worked great and no smoking. I turned the boost up to 14psi (wastegate max) and no visible smoke. (pulls great too... Damn things legitimately fast in 3rd. ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJxDlkzOTRg

I have to say it is definitely fast. And best of all it sounds like a proper sports car. Most of us have heard 4 cyl racing sports cars and this car reminds me of that every time I hear it. So cool.
Andyrew
Been driving it every once and a while. It definitely likes the cold weather. But the shifter hasn't gotten any better. I'm contemplating a boxster trans so I can rule out my shift linkage setup, and at the same time replace the clutch. I'll likely redo the clutch master first though as I believe the angle it's at might be causing the issue.

I have been having an issue with not being able to connect to my boost controller since before WCR and I resolved that last night with a new USB cable.

This means I can finally log my pulls in my boost controller with it's onboard data logging and accelerometers (HP and Torque graphs tied to boost/AFR/Throttle). Now I know what the car did on the dyno with this setup so I can compare and make minor adjustments in the numbers so I can get back to tuning this car and bumping the power up.

The first thing I need to do is find my file I wrote for the new closed/open loop controller program (the boost controller mfr rewrote the software). I made a nice one about 6 months back that was tied into throttle values as well as the usual boost by gear.

Now I'm not expecting it to bump my power as I think I'm on the limits of my wastegate spring. But I want to test this out before I replace the wastegate with my dual port one. (one variable at a time).

Also I toyed around with the oil catch can some more. I don't like it where I planned on it. I'm going make it more hidden and smaller.

Oh and I think I'm going to put the 944 under the knife this winter. I either need to start driving it a lot or sell it. And I love driving it but it needs some work. I need to talk to Dad about that one smile.gif
tygaboy
Andrew - Once you spec the new catch can, you're welcome to come by for some cutting/bending/welding.
Or, send me the dimensions and I can cut the parts and ship them to you.

Better yet, maybe another "open house/fab day" at Red Barn? idea.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 20 2019, 07:02 AM) *

drunk.gif welder.gif

Id love to try out your tig welder smile.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 20 2019, 07:34 AM) *

drunk.gif welder.gif

I tried out my spool gun on some aluminum scrap. It's not too bad. It will take some practice. Tig is next.

Glad you're making progress.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 20 2019, 07:34 AM) *

drunk.gif welder.gif

At your convenience, my friend! welder.gif
Andyrew
So @dan10101 was over for Christmas and said to me "Hey lets make a video!"

I blew my nose (was getting over a cold at the time) and I said Sure!

So heres a fun video biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzcUgDbnfdM

tygaboy
I need to start spending a lot more time with @Andyrew and @Dan10101 . I mean really fire up the bromance so that once they're world famous from doing these vids, they'll let me be part of their posse! lol-2.gif

Seriously though. Words don't express how great it is to see a father and son with this sort of camaraderie. You both should be very proud. Thanks for sharing!
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 11 2020, 07:56 AM) *

lol-2.gif

lol-2.gif

You got that part right, If we did Hondas or Mustangs, we'd have a chance. But there are too few 914s left in this world.

But, you could make a name for yourself filming your stuff. Turn the video camera on, get some footage, add some pictures and then narration overlay and BAM!, you got a video of your build! (or 20 videos, you got a lot of good content) Post it on our channel or make your own!
FL000
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 20 2019, 06:12 AM) *

Been driving it every once and a while. It definitely likes the cold weather. But the shifter hasn't gotten any better. I'm contemplating a boxster trans so I can rule out my shift linkage setup, and at the same time replace the clutch. I'll likely redo the clutch master first though as I believe the angle it's at might be causing the issue.

Andrew, I have been thinking about this wrt my car also since I plan to start my trans swap soon. We're you are to confirm before or during installation that you got the expected throw from the clutch slave for your pedal movement?
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif beer.gif
jb6000
I have the 1.8t aeb 058 engine used assembled and it has been sitting. So if I want to first pump oil can I spin a front pully, which turns the oil pump? I would like to flow oil first.

I am checking if that is possible.
Spocknasty
Awesome build! Thank you for documenting it!
Andyrew
It’s been *looks at imaginary watch* a while since I’ve updated!

The biggest thing is that I’ve been driving the car. I have issues but so also have workarounds. Which means I can enjoy the car.

Now many of you follow the Budget Outlaws YouTube page and I thank you for that. But there is one thing you’ll notice from that page and that there really isn’t any content of me working on my car.

So my good buddy @Tygaboy successfully guilted me into coming over to his shop and working on my car. If you’ve never seen his creative and problem solving process it’s really fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU0-ZbLMCl4

Stay tuned as more updates will definitely follow smile.gif
Krieger
That looks really good and it only took 28 minutes! biggrin.gif. It is a lot of fun working with Chris!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.