Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andyrews Progress Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
tygaboy
Andrew - that's really coming along! Nice work...
Andyrew
Alina turned 2 Saturday wub.gif
Click to view attachment
She likes cars, loves to buckle up when she sits in a seat, Here she is with my dad and sitting in the 944.

Click to view attachment
She also likes playing in the dirt. Not pictured is a couple hours later her playing with a tea set and pouring me "tea".
oakdalecurtis
Good thing she looks like Jeruka!
chair.gif
Andyrew
With the goal of my dad bringing his 914 to WCR and me bringing my 914 to WCR that means we both have to be running. He's much closer to me and I have a lot of work to do in general..

We spent Sunday morning trying to figure out a way to fix my notchy steering. We tried at first to make my double heim joint system to work better but couldnt get it any better than before.

One of the reasons for not going with the 914 steering column is the audi signal stalks and all the related electrical components. My dad having the blue parts car he brought down a bunch of stuff for us to consider using instead. This included the 914 steering column.

After a bunch of work we decided to give the 914 column a try, cut off the outer housing on the aluminum piece and with a bit of grinding we should be able to put the Audi column electrical bits on the 914 piece.

At this point since I moved the 914 mount AND my dash is pretty much formed up I'll mock it in place and weld a column mount to the body We tested the system with the wheels up moving the wheel checking for binding and did not find any. So with a bit more fabrication I'll be able to make this work.

This also means no more bulky Audi steering wheel. More details on that when parts come in.

Hopefully I can accomplish this and not have to modify my dash too much.

June is going to be tough to get the car ready... My list needs to be updated....
Andyrew
A visual on the column modifications.
Andyrew
Quite a bit removed. All non structural just for mounting the key switch. Which will remain Audi and be relocated to the dash.
Andyrew
Trying to make steady progress.

But big hurdle out of the way that will affect the cars drivability by a long shot. Steering column swapped back to a 914. Relocated slightly but it's very smooth now.
Click to view attachment
This meant I needed a new steering wheel and adapter. Quite happy with this one so far.

If you look back about 3 years I also tried my hand at making a shifter but couldn't find anyone to turn the wood. Well I still had the 3" block of glued wood but no lathe. I was sitting on the couch early last week and looking at knobs to buy to compliment the steering wheel and I said why don't I give finishing mine up a try? Well I have a new drill press now so I after cutting and grinding it to a really rough shape I put it on the drill, cranked up the speed and got my grinders out and started roughing up the shape with it spinnung. It started to really work with a cut off wheel then I cleaned it up with a flap wheel and finally some sandpaper by hand. Damn proud of it. I'll finish it with Danish oil.
Click to view attachment

All this interior work had been leaving me with deciding what to do with my seats. Another member found some eBay seats that worked for him and I figured I would try something similar. I bought them planning to use then for WCR and this year but when I got all the leather work done I would probably have them redone. I'm surprised by the quality of them... Foam is rock hard, their is a poorly designed sprung in the upper back that pops in and out when you sit down but for $350 delivered for the pair I was really happy with them. They are very tight on the butt but a bottle Jack should fix that like my current seats.

I'm confident they will require fab work to the car to replace my old ones. But that's easy enough. For now they will be a play place for Alina. Got to get more important things done first.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Meaning I need to drop the trans and replace it. Working late means no power tools so what should be a 2 hr job is closer to 5. More on this next week.
Click to view attachment

I have some more resin drying on the dash upper portion. Hopefully I can use this.... The steering column debacle meant some things are moving around and getting in the way more than anticipated. I'll redo it if needed. No pics. Just scratchy fiberglass... I needed the top done so it will actually hold shape so I can start really mocking things up.
Mike Bellis
She's getting so big!

Nice seats and forward progress!
tygaboy
Andrew - It's good to know I'm not alone in, what often seems like the "He's making it up as he goes along!" world.
I'd be curious to know how much of your design (dash/climate control, for example) do you actually have worked out before you jump in?

Are you "sure" it'll work? "Pretty sure"? Or, as seems to happen to me, are you in "I'll figure out a way to make it work!" mode?

Regardless, having met you and your dad, I believe I've found additional proof that the "defective car gene" (as my wife calls it), truly exists and doesn't skip generations! laugh.gif

Keep up the tremendous work and let's plan another work day. I look forward to bouncing some build ideas off you.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 21 2019, 07:01 AM) *

Andrew - It's good to know I'm not alone in, what often seems like the "He's making it up as he goes along!" world.
I'd be curious to know how much of your design (dash/climate control, for example) do you actually have worked out before you jump in?

Are you "sure" it'll work? "Pretty sure"? Or, as seems to happen to me, are you in "I'll figure out a way to make it work!" mode?

Generally I have an idea, I work it out on paper with a drawing and maybe measurements. I template it out somehow and then start fab. Most of the time it's "I'll force this to work" as I hate multiple attempts at the same project. Lots of times this forces me to rebuild other aspects.

Regardless, having met you and your dad, I believe I've found additional proof that the "defective car gene" (as my wife calls it), truly exists and doesn't skip generations! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
More proof smile.gif

Keep up the tremendous work and let's plan another work day. I look forward to bouncing some build ideas off you.

Sounds great! I thought about coming up before WCR but time is slipping by....
Andyrew
Lot of work recently for not a lot of progress.

Replaced the trans with the spare I bought.Clutch, flywheel and pressure plate look good. This involved removing the stub axles and swapping them over. Only to find out I didn't grind the hole large enough for the stub axles in the LSD.

So I test fit the system and I was only off a strong 1/8.

Grinding of the stub axles it was! This portion of the axle is only for a guide. I left a hair on there. Should work well. Flanges are back in normal position.

I had to swap shifts cables as I bent the end of one slightly and it wouldn't operate nicely. Fixed it on the bench when I was done swapping it. Adjusted the shift linkage mounts a bit and gave them s coat of silver (couldn't find black...)

I test everything by hand and notice the clutch is weak. Seems like some air got in the system somehow. Go to bleed and the reservor cap is missing. Ordered a new one.

I test the dash in the car and it seems like it grew some more. The foam stuff just isn't working so I'm scratching this dash. The steering column modifications require it anyways.

Sigh

I'm debating how to make the new dash. I think I'm going to template it out in steel rod, then fiberglass cloth over it or just use steel. It's a simple design but if I don't fiberglass immediately after trimming the foam it will expand and ruin the design. I'm thinking more and more I'll use some 22ga steel and some rod. I can work with it the easiest. It will add weight, but at this point I have very few choices that I'm comfortable with.

Also Danish oil looks decent. Going to keep adding coats and do some fine sanding..

I need this thing running by next week so I can spend some time troubleshooting it. And this dash needs to be done to a level that I at least have the guages mounted.

Too tired to load up pics. Here is the knob.
tygaboy
Andrew - if you haven't already, you may want to check with Tap Plastics to see if they have a foam that is more thermally/dimensionally stable. Or, consider starting with pre-made foam blocks. Google "modeling foam".
When I was doing this sort of thing for the carbon gas tank I made for my motorcycle, I used (please don't laugh) foam, bondo, Popsicle sticks and hot glue to make the plug. Whatever it took to get a stable (enough) substructure that supported being top coated so I could then get the final shape and finish I needed.
If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

BTW, I just checked the dictionary for "custom fabrication". It's defined as "Lot of work for not a lot of progress." poke.gif lol-2.gif

We are of a kind, your dad, you and me...

76-914
agree.gif Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc stock the foam blocks that florist use. I hot glue them together and file or sand to shape. This type of styrofoam will not melt if you choose to use the styrene resin vs epoxy resin. If I need to make a small plug I will use modeling clay because foam can be a PITA to work with when going small. The downside is digging out the clay afterwards. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
^^ Wrap the foam in foil/tape and the resin won't matter.
You can also use sheet foam (couch cushions), glue in layers, and shape it with a carving knife. Coat in house paint & you have a decent base for fiberglass.

I'd fab a simple metal frame for the gauges and cover with a dash mat. Make it pretty after WCR....
Andyrew
Thanks all for the advice smile.gif

Got some steel strips and rods from the hardware store. I'm going to mock it up today and start going at it. I can get everything in place in steel much faster than fiberglass/foam since that's where my skills are at.

First thing will be a casing for the guage cluster for it to lie in. I have that 75% done. Pictures when I come back from lunch. smile.gif
Andyrew
Guage cluster holder turned out nice. Bent it by hand, welded some tabs tacked it in place and removed the metal dash.
Click to view attachment
Wire framed the layout that I like. Added some supports and am mocking up placement of guages.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Nothing is set in stone. Thoughts on layout? The round one is AFR, small rectangle is boost, and large rectangle on the bottom is intercooler. I have another for water pump I am debating putting behind a door as I don't really need to watch it.

Kind of hard to tell from the pics but I intend to do the say beauty overhang on as on the fiberglass piece. Should help with sun shading as well as the overall look.
Andyrew
As part of the interior redo I decided my "WINK" mirror was a bit out of place and went for a BMW unit. 20 mins of modifications and it fits great.
Click to view attachment

Mounted 3 guages last night. Focused on placement and LCD location (all three are red).

Click to view attachment
I've determined the best course for building this dash is to have the upper top removable for wiring and easy removal and then the front panel to be welded. Not 100% on that but it's what's in my head right now.

Click to view attachment

Next step is the backing for the front. I'd like about a1-2" lip.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Fab-ulous! I really enjoy watching you come up with ways of getting the results you want. Seems like we're in that same boat of "hmmm, I think I need to try that again!"
Looks really nice - keep up the great work and we'll see you on the 18th.
76-914
I'm running the modified BMW mirror that lets me use the 914 visors. Same length as yours. It gave me a better field of view than the stock 914 mirror but I'm long waisted! See you at WCR.
Andyrew
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

And my next challenge is moving the air box I made back a couple inches.

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
I opened up the firewall a bit more on the bottom and removed the old mounting system I built for the ac/heater box. I built a cage for the box just like I did for the guage cluster but I haven't mounted it. I'll work on that later, I just wanted to make sure I could get it all to work at a later date.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I designed a layout for how the dash pieces will work and it's very similar to the original dash. I'm making everything out of steel as I can work with it much easier.
Click to view attachment

I mounted up the ignition switch and decided to put it on the left side just for fun.

Click to view attachment
Working on the dash face I started with thin guage steel but thought against it and decided to go with thick guage steel to build a strong base for the dash. I'll go to thinner guage for the dash top and bottom.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
And from the last photo to here was 4 hrs of fiddling....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Figured out how I was going to be able to remove the intercooler fan controller

Adjust fit some items, lots of metal needed some massaging over the knee to get lined up like I wanted.

Cut in the hole for the AFR guage, and did a silly amount of trimming on the dash to get everything how I wanted. Also had to redo the mount. Dumb me thinks I can weld aluminum with steel....

Little things take a lot more time when a toddler is asleep....

Oh and in case your wondering... The holes on the bottom of the intercooler fan controller are for adjusting the temp the fan goes in. I wanted to be able to adjust it but knew I would rarely do so, so I added a small hole to be able to do so. I'll transfer the holes to the fabric when time comes.
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
grinding noise was a lullaby for me.....dads home..

nice dash welder.gif
tygaboy
Andrew - Don't mean to hijack but:
If you'd like, bring the dash with you on the 18th and we (you!) can maybe give a go to measuring it out. We could translate that into a .dxf and we could cut you a face plate on the plasma table. I have some .050 aluminum and some 18 and 20 ga steel. Add some beading or a strategically placed break for some add'l strength?

I'd be happy to walk you through the process so you'd be making it.

Here's an example of some panels I did for the Lotus 7 replica.

Just a thought... idea.gif
Andyrew
I'll take you up on that offer for the center console Chris. The dash is pretty much doneand I don't need any additional features to it for my design concept.

The center console on the other hand could definitely use some design characteristics as right now it'll just be flat panels.
Andyrew
Progress on the dash.

Drilled the cutout for the ignition.
Click to view attachment

Dropped the relay box as the dash was resting on it.
Click to view attachment

Added the rest of the dash face.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Figured out wire arrangements a bit and so far am pretty happy how things are laying out.

Next on the list is getting back to mechanical. I'll need to bleed the clutch to see if I just accidentally got air in the lines or why my clutch is to the floor.
tygaboy
smash.gif welder.gif

Isn't it "fun" as you try and bring to life the vision in your head?
It's so interesting for me to watch someone else go through this. Seeing the "first I tried X, then realized Y so redid things because of Z."

You're making great progress.

I may have missed it but are you planning to paint or upholster the dash face?
Andyrew
Chris, these kind of moments when things work are what makes it all worthwhile.

For the dash face, when I learned that 914rubber had built a hot press that they used with vinyl for recreating the 914 basketweve I asked if they could press some fabric of mine. Some money exchanged hands (wasn't cheep) and I got my hands on enough material in my color to do the dash face and door panels.

I always wanted brown leather interior on a car so here we are... A couple posts up I updated my drawing of my dash concept. The brown is this material.

tygaboy
I dub thee: "Factory over covered Custom"

Awesome! aktion035.gif
76-914
If you were going to leave it as is I would have dubbed thee "Mad Max". biggrin.gif
Andyrew
List is getting shorter smile.gif

914 to do list

**Mandatory total: 15hrs
Non mandatory total: 207hrs

Suspension: 26
Replace front shocks 3
Fabricate front sway bar arms 20
Install and adjust 2
Test 1

Brakes:3
*Bleed brakes 3

Engine:30
Replumb fuel system for cleaner look 10
Look for source of oil leak. 2
Fix oil leak 10
* Dyno tune with tuner 8

Transmission: 2
*Reinstall slave cylinder and bleed clutch with power bleeder 2

Body: 75
Fabricate trunk firewall 20
Fabricate and install roll cage 30
Fix targa top knicks 5
Repaint bumpers 5
Clean up front trunk for new paint 10
Clean up rear Trunk and paint 5

Interior:87
Design and build center console 20
*Tighten all steering components 1
*Mount water pump controller 1
*Clean And mount wires 1
Install new seats 4
Finalize Dashboard 20
Design and build rear firewall 20
Design and build door cards 20

Send dash, Seats, Door cards, Center console, and Rear firewall to upholster for finalizing. (My tests revealed I don't have the skill to do this…)

Spares for WCR:
Trans
Axle
Clutch Disk
Serpentine belt
Shift Cables
Relays
Fuses
Fuel Pump filter
Fuel pump
Oil
Plugs
Coil packs
dan10101
You're a lot more realistic setting hours for repairs.
I was so far off I gave up putting times on mine.

Glad it's a shorter list...
914 Ranch
When my list is that long I just go do something. You just made a huge elephant that's going to take fourever to eat. If I thought that far ahead I would never get started. I have no plan or direction, I just turn wrenches.

Click to view attachment

But that's just me.
76-914
Are you using the new plastic back pad from 914rubber or using the OEM cardboard. If the plastic one, what were you quoted? This info will help me decide if I want to be an upholsterer or not. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 6 2019, 09:29 AM) *

Are you using the new plastic back pad from 914rubber or using the OEM cardboard. If the plastic one, what were you quoted? This info will help me decide if I want to be an upholsterer or not. biggrin.gif

I havent bought/tried anything yet. I have a feeling Im going to make something out of fiberglass as I'll need to make some considerations. Not sure. I'll probably do that next year smile.gif
Andyrew
Progress!

Drove it yesterday! If your at all interested in a 5 min video of the sky and 11minutea of me looking around and diagnosing stuff your welcome to watch smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2FqsUZ5pW4

In short.

The good:
The new trans shifts like a boxster, buttery and amazing.
The steering system feels fantastic.
The engine runs just like it always has.
Chassis feels much stiffer with the steering system improved. Feedback is much better.
Dash has a very usable layout.

The bad:
First gear was difficult, I didn't have enough throw in the shifter to engage it. A little 20second shifter adjustment and I think that's taken care of.
AFR guage needs calibration
Intercooler fan controller isn't working for some reason.

The Ugly:
I warmed it all the way up and tried restarting. No avail even with my modulating or full throttle work around. I let it cool down some and took some video of it struggling to start and what I was doing with the throttle to coax it to start. Myself, my dad and my tuner think it needs more fuel. My tuner says it has two fuel maps, one for enrichment and one for normal operation. He says we can add fuel to make it right. I'm going to get some starter fluid and see if adding starter fluid helps the hot starts. If it does we finally know what the problem is and can correct it.

I have a Dyno day I'm working on scheduling before WCR so I can get a bit more torque and clean up the map just to make sure I have my basis covered.
Krieger
Congratulations! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
Progress, indeed! Happy to hear you're getting it there!
dan10101
Awesome progress!

piratenanner.gif Stacking um up and knocking them down! piratenanner.gif

driving.gif aktion035.gif
76-914
I hope that is the answer. beerchug.gif
76-914
duplicate
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 9 2019, 08:46 AM) *

Same dry.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 9 2019, 10:58 AM) *

Same dry.gif

Yeah that is so WEIRD. Seems like it has to be fuel since you replaced almost all the senders/sensors. Normally I would say temp sensor but I think you checked it already. It would also likely be easier to start when warm vs. cold with a bad or miswired temp sensor. Sounds like you have the opposite problem. The starter fluid is a good idea.

Nice work on the new steering setup. Love the dash. That's going to be really nice.
ValcoOscar
I enjoyed your video... beerchug.gif

Oscar
Andyrew
Starter fluid works.

More driving around video and me trying out the starter fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPDrgQBAmQ
Chris914n6
Are you losing fuel pressure when the car is off? Takes easily 2-3 seconds to build pressure with the pump on the other side of the car. Your cranks on film are too short.

BMW and likely a few others (like your Infiniti) actually trigger the fuel pump when the door is opened or other sign of pending use, like the remote is nearby, say in my pocket, as I replace an injector... dry.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 9 2019, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 9 2019, 10:58 AM) *

Same dry.gif

Yeah that is so WEIRD. Seems like it has to be fuel since you replaced almost all the senders/sensors. Normally I would say temp sensor but I think you checked it already. It would also likely be easier to start when warm vs. cold with a bad or miswired temp sensor. Sounds like you have the opposite problem. The starter fluid is a good idea.

It's not an uncommon problem actually. You typically have a one time starting pulse adder which is a function of engines temperature and also a startup enrichment table with pulse modifier which is on a temperature vs. crank number table. If you taper off too fast with temperature you can have issues. Sometimes, people also have the thresholds for starting engine speed too low so they car starts thinking it's running when it's cranking really fast and doesn't get any extra fuel. Lots of little nuances can cause a lack of hot start fuel unfortunately.

Hope you guys figure it out soon!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 9 2019, 11:28 PM) *

Are you losing fuel pressure when the car is off? Takes easily 2-3 seconds to build pressure with the pump on the other side of the car. Your cranks on film are too short.

BMW and likely a few others (like your Infiniti) actually trigger the fuel pump when the door is opened or other sign of pending use, like the remote is nearby, say in my pocket, as I replace an injector... dry.gif

Pump is literally next to the engine, and it's an 044.

I've tried letting it build pressure with no avail and letting it crank for a minute with no results. Audi kills ignition on cranking after 5 seconds.

JD is correct my tuner said the same thing. It's going to take some time to figure out but we'll get it.

Also quick note, I am running 1300CC injectors, so I have a strong feeling with them being so large its compounding this start issue.
76-914
Hot Damn! Way to go. Why didn't Mike encounter these problems. Is he running an aftermarket ECU?
Chris914n6
Are you sure you're getting a start signal to the ecu? Usually it triggers batch fire as the air isn't moving fast enough for sequential to work right.

Injectors timed to spray into OPEN valves? 1300cc is going to have some latency.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.