Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Gint
Rick and I looked at my car this afternoon. The part we originally asked about in this thread probably doesn't even belong to Mary's car. We can't find one like it on my car at all. Mike's (Kirmizi) pic shows the inner fuzzy. It does not have any brightwork on it and all years use the same part I believe.
Dr Evil
Different due to year?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 31 2010, 10:34 PM) *

Different due to year?

I think it might be off another project in the body shop and got laid on the same table as Mary's parts. I kept saying "mine doesn't have that piece"... Now I think I know why.
Gint
agree.gif I've looked at early and late doors. That part isn't on any of them.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 1 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Even the little clips that hold the "fuzz" are all wrong - not used anywhere else on the car.

I put this down as mystery busted!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 1 2010, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 1 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Even the little clips that hold the "fuzz" are all wrong - not used anywhere else on the car.

I put this down as mystery busted!

agree.gif Had us second guessing our knowledge of the car though. I'm back home and will start going through my notes.
hot_shoe914
Not sure how this thread managed to slip half way down the second page but I'm not going to stand for it. I am looking forward to this and have a big stake in making it 620 miles in a teener in the winter. Therefore I am icon_bump.gif ing this bitch back to the top!! aktion035.gif
Gint
I had to come looking for it anyway. wink.gif

Rick I don't want to edit your doc. Too many people updating a doc can be a big PITA.

I bumped this thread a day or so ago for the fresh air hoses. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=70055
They are VW part numbers. Mary was going to see if she could pick these up at her trip to a VW parts establishment somewhere in Kansas (I forgot exactly where). The large tube fits from the air diverter valve into the interior.

Small tube - Bug - 113-255-291-DE
Large tube - Bus - 211-261-236

She also needs the lower targa seal, number 28, part #914 563 319 10. Not a show stopper, but the one she has has a major crack (almost in two pieces). As far as I know thay are still available, but I'm not sure if you have to go to Porsche or not.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
This weekend may be fruitful for me as far as finding some parts smile.gif We shall see.
rick 918-S
Should I just post the doc here?
Dr Evil
I dont see why not.
rick 918-S
Build Off Notes

Bumper Section:

Mary to clean and paint fog light grilles

Mary to source the clips and screws for the fog light grilles

Parts needed:

Front and Rear Bumper Tops.
The ones at the shop are really not usable. The fasteners are rusted and snapped off.

Bumper Impact Guards:

Quantity 4 The ones at the garage have broken studs. February 4th update Two coming from (Kirmizi) Mike

New Qnty Bumper Guards needed Two

Dog Bones:

Need Two
Need attaching bolts. (hardware store item)

Front Lamp and Front Section:

Headlights:
Trim ring screws Qty: 6
Mary to locate these at an autobody supply store.
If not available sheet metal screw can be substituted at the last minute from the hardware store.

Mary to clean and paint the retractors and headlamp buckets grey. The hinges bolts and back up plates are with the headlamp units.

Need headlamp eyebrow rubber stay. We have 5 we need 6

Running Lights:

The lamps need to be cleaned. New bulbs should be sourced. FLAPS (Friendly local auto parts store)

Need one Amber Lens

Side Lights:

Minimum the gaskets are in very poor condition and need to be replaced. Unknown if these are available but good used should be.

Wiring looked good.
Horn:

Tested good

Cowl Blower:

Motor tested good

Need grommet for the driver side hose where it passes through the cowl.
Both sizes of cardboard hose. Mike G to source the part numbers.

Wiper Transmission:

Motor tested good, transmission not seized ready to install.

We need one black plastic weather cover for the jamb nut.

Washer squirters and hose intact

Seals:

Hood seal

Gas tank bulkhead seal

Gas Tank:

Mary to get the tank powder coated or painted along with the filler neck and expansion tank.

The filler neck gasket was with the filler neck as well as the bolts. The gasket looked to be cleanable and usable if a new one is not readily available. Also the float assembly is at the shop but was not tested.

Parts:

Need a Filter Sock February 4th from (Kirmizi) Mike

We need the clear plastic overflow tube

The cloth wrapped hose that goes from the expansion tank to the filler neck.

Sealant for the filler neck gasket float gasket and bolts. (question for Ed)

1/4 “ rubber in place of felt gas tank pads.

Fuel Line:

Fuel injection acceptable rubber fuel line. Can be sourced locally at the FLAPS.

Note: I’m concerned about the current hard lines installed in the tunnel. There are large compression nuts that require a flared fitting to be connected. These may cause clearance problems and possibly be hard to seal resulting in a fuel leak. I would suggest getting a line kit
from Chris Foley or someone that has a track record and has sourced the correct size and length lines with the correct bends to clear the engine as they exit the lower bulkhead.

Need the cloth wrapped hose that connected the charcoal canister to the engine. Several sections that connect the hard plastic vent hose sections.

Fuel Pump:

Tested good

Note: The pump was relocated to the front spare tire well at some point. It will need to either be moved to the back of the car or under the gas tank. I believe there was a mounting bracket but the isolators were broken as usual. Depending on what decision is made about where the pump will be located there will need to be wiring and fuel lines run. The is wire in Luke’s shop and a FLATS close by for hose and fuel injection clamps.

Brakes & Front Suspension

Need the brake reservoir.

Need to bleed the brakes. There are new lines in place.

Need Brake fluid.

Need Turbo Tie rod set. Need tools to change the tie rods.

Need dust boots for the struts. (missing)

Need to check all fasteners and set alignment with a tape measure.

Dash and Controls Section:

Need the heater control. The one in the car is bent and rusted.

There is a new fuse panel that needs to be swapped in.

The dash top and the upper and lower pad have been recovered. There is a filler strip that goes at the base of the windshield.

The one issue that may hamper the installation of the dash are the fasteners. I would suggest having people bring their bucket of bolts from a 914 car teardown if their driving. We need some missing fasteners.

Dr. Evil has the steering column.

The steering wheel is at the shop.

The gauges are at the shop.

Someone is sending a peddle set.

There is a throttle and Speedo cable at the garage. Is there a clutch cable?

Tunnel Floor

Need the piece of sheet metal for the shift rod firewall bushing. The new lower firewall did not have the shift rod bushing piece installed. This is normally welded in before the firewall is closed in. This will need to be fit and riveted in.

There may have to be a modification made to the length of tube sticking out of the fire will for the clutch cable. Also there will need to be some urethane calk used around the exiting tubes to seal the firewall.

Urethane calk can be purchased locally at the FLAPS.

Need the cable for the heater lever connected to the flapper door heater boxes.

Note: You may need to find a way to secure the heater lever cable tubes inside the tunnel. They are loose inside the tunnel.

Cone screws for the shifter.

Wiring looks to be strung correctly.

Note: The fuel lines are an issue as stated above.

Need the Pedal board (missing)

Need Dynamat for the floor and firewall.

The clutch tube may need to be repaired prior to installing the engine.

Need the heater cable

Windshield –Cockpit Weather Stripping

Need 5/6 setting tape and setting blocks.
There is windshield clips for the trim in place on the frame already.

The windshield trim is at the shop but will need to be carefully straightened.

There is a lower targa seal (top of the windshield frame under the three piece seal.) that is ripped in half.

The right “A” pillar trim that holds the rubber is missing.

I think door rubber is useable if it’s cleaned up. There are flecks of rust stuck to the rubber but they could be removed and cleaned off.

The body rubber in the door openings needs to be replaced.
I didn’t check the vertical glass seal on the targa bar.

Need one latch pillar vent. (round grille)

Doors

Need the left outer door handle.

Outer window belt line trim:

Mary to locate screws. Qty 6

I gave her a sample.

Need Right and Left side felt strips

Need the outer rubber wiper

Need the inner felt at the belt line.

The vent window rubber is in poor shape. These may be ok to install as is but this isn’t a part that is easy to change later. I would suggest replacing this part while the doors apart.

Mark is now reproducing these.

Need door jamb striker plate screws. Missing two.

Targa Bar

Targa bar rear trim is dented and painted black.

Need at least the vertical pieces with the trim screw. The lower securing clip is on the damaged trim in case the used replacement pieces don’t have the clip.

Need the setting tape and rubber blocks for the back glass.

Anyone see the rubber seal that locks into the base of the rear window and seals the engine lid?

The interior pads were recovered.

Engine and Transaxle

Need a vacuum line kit

Need to change the alternator. There is a better one in the garage.

Need exhaust nuts, copper flange gaskets and muffler gaskets

Need the flapper boxes for the heat exchangers

There is a good “T” bearing in the garage.

Need oil and transaxle lube.

Need axle flange gaskets.

There is a starter in the garage.

There is a new alternator wiring harness in the garage

Mary sent the ECU and harness to Jeff B to be tested.

Cheese head screws

There is a rust hole in the engine tin.
Need the left front corner piece of tin
Kirmizi
Rick, on the parts needed list...
Bumper guards? Tits, yes?
Got a pair with solid studs. Driver's side has a 1" split along front/top.
Filter sock, strainer inside the tank? Got a new one sitting here.
I've also got a pair of late model (black) windshield squirters. No hose.
Let me know, I can snap some pics if you want.
They're yours if you want.
How bout the starter in the shop, is it good?
Mike
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 3 2010, 10:20 PM) *

Rick, on the parts needed list...
Bumper guards? Tits, yes?

Yes, Tits LOL Blush

Got a pair with solid studs. Driver's side has a 1" split along front/top.

Filter sock, strainer inside the tank? Got a new one sitting here.

Cool!

I've also got a pair of late model (black) windshield squirters. No hose.
Let me know, I can snap some pics if you want.

The squirters with hose were with her car. Were good.

They're yours if you want.
How bout the starter in the shop, is it good?
Mike

Cool! We didn't test the starter. (tested everything else...) It looked fairly clean.

I'll put your name in the above post next to the items. Here is the Mailing address for the parts.

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379

Anyone else that has a loose part or two we have about a week before Mary needs to make a final new parts purchase for the build off.

You all are very kind souls.

Thank you.
Kirmizi
Groovy!
What about the rest of the heating system?
Speaker grills? I'm digging through misc parts already...
Mike
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Feb 3 2010, 10:31 PM) *

Groovy!
What about the rest of the heating system?
Speaker grills? I'm digging through misc parts already...
Mike

We need heater flapper boxes. The ones in the engine compartment.

All the cowl stuff is good with the exception of the rubber grommet on the far driver side where the cardboard heat tube passes through. It's missing.

There are Morph speaker grilles and speakers with the car.
lotus_65
pm'd rick
hot_shoe914
I have dog bones and probably the heater stuff. Will need to go to my storage and see what kind of shape. I also have tits. I will check list and make a parts run this weekend.

Donald
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2010, 01:02 AM) *

Fuel injection acceptable rubber fuel line. Can be sourced locally at the FLAPS.

Note: I’m concerned about the current hard lines installed in the tunnel. There are large compression nuts that require a flared fitting to be connected. These may cause clearance problems and possibly be hard to seal resulting in a fuel leak. I would suggest getting a line kit
from Chris Foley or someone that has a track record and has sourced the correct size and length lines with the correct bends to clear the engine as they exit the lower bulkhead.

I will be happy to donate a full set of stainless replacement lines for this project. smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 4 2010, 07:42 AM) *

I will be happy to donate a full set of stainless replacement lines for this project. smile.gif

Again I am overwhelmed at the generosity of this group - 914World is the best.
rick 918-S
Very cool! Hey Paul (lotus_65) did a google doc Spread sheet for us. Thanks Paul!

Anyone can access it and up date it. Contrary to popular belief I do have a job and need to work. This is a great way for everyone to make and track their own efforts to make this happen.

Here's my thought. I will post the link. If you have a contribution go ahead and post it here AND on the spread sheet. There are columns for tracking the part you are sending, your name, your screen name, the date you shipped the part and the method used to ship.

This will allow everyone to get on board. We have had some great effort already since the recon mission. I think after a week we will need to close down the spread sheet and send Mary a final parts order list. We need to allow plenty of time for shipping.

Thanks everyone for making a difference! biggrin.gif

Here's the link. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0At...MxS2c&hl=en

Remember: Ship your parts here!

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379
rick 918-S
BTW: Here are a couple photos from the recon mission. You can see what were up against! screwy.gif biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
another
rick 918-S
another
rick 918-S
Wish I would have take many more photos.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2010, 08:40 AM) *

Wish I would have take many more photos.

Notice Rick's Fire Extinguisher (water bottle)... biggrin.gif

It was a fun moment ("Fire in the hole - or tunnel as it were).
A&PGirl
You can get the cone screws at Ace Hardware. Mikey914 makes the lower targa seal #914-563-319-10 for $34 and is making the vent window seals.
Dr Evil
Cone screws with the nylock in them? That is cool. I probably have a new set as well.
Dr Evil
hwgunner (Jonathan) at GPR has offered us any new parts we need at cost and any used parts for free smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
Very cool! Hey Paul (lotus_65) did a google doc Spread sheet for us. Thanks Paul!

Anyone can access it and up date it. Contrary to popular belief I do have a job and need to work. This is a great way for everyone to make and track their own efforts to make this happen.

Here's my thought. I will post the link. If you have a contribution go ahead and post it here AND on the spread sheet. There are columns for tracking the part you are sending, your name, your screen name, the date you shipped the part and the method used to ship.

This will allow everyone to get on board. We have had some great effort already since the recon mission. I think after a week we will need to close down the spread sheet and send Mary a final parts order list. We need to allow plenty of time for shipping.

Thanks everyone for making a difference!

Remember: Ship your parts here!

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379
Gint
Giddyup! The maillady just surprised me. I won't have to worry about where to get cookies tonight. Thanks Mary! They're still soft. chowtime.gif beer3.gif (pretend that's milk)

The ginger snap cookies alone are worth the price of admission to the build off gang!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 4 2010, 02:37 PM) *

Giddyup! The maillady just surprised me. I won't have to worry about where to get cookies tonight. Thanks Mary! They're still soft. chowtime.gif beer3.gif (pretend that's milk)

The ginger snap cookies alone are worth the price of admission to the build off gang!

That is hilarious - I still remember you after your first bite drooley.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 4 2010, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 4 2010, 02:37 PM) *

That is hilarious - I still remember you after your first bite drooley.gif

agree.gif Here's Mike! chowtime.gif Hey! these are gooodddmmmm... drooley.gif

WTG: Mary! laugh.gif
Mary Shortridge
I have been so excited with the recent progress, but now I see Rick's list....oh, my.
A bit more info I can provide:
I have an email in regarding purchasing front and rear bumper tops. Website only listed one, not both...I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive, quick response and will get them ordered ASAP.
I do have a new clutch cable (I heard you should carry spare cables!)
I am almost positive I bought dust boots for the struts: I'll check my invoices and do some digging. I suspect there are still some parts at the body shop.
I got the dynamat (or equiv) ordered from our local car audio guy. I should be able to get the "tub" done next week, he suggests leaving the doors for last.
Months ago I bought a part to repair the door handle....I'll look for that as well, when I get back to Kansas.
I bought the small diameter paper/aluminum hose locally, and am planning on a trip to a VW parts counter tomorrow for the larger size. I have the actual hose with me to HOPEFULLY avoid confusion. The telephone call with part number wasn't too successful....
I can't thank you all enough. I do promise that when I am not working on dynamat, or polishing parts in the next few weeks, I will be stockpiling cookies! And you haven't tasted my homemade bierocks! I also have barbecued beef and homemade chili planned. We plan a buffet of local Mexican food. I promise I'll feed you some great Kansas food, and you won't go hungry!
Thanks a million....
rick 918-S
Good News Mary! Hey, be sure to update the spread sheet Paul did when you have eliminated the items you may have. This will avoid duplicating efforts. We'll get this one step at a time.

Remember: Those of you that are inspired to make this happen and want to contribute ship your parts here!

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379
Gint
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Feb 4 2010, 04:16 PM) *
I will be stockpiling cookies! And you haven't tasted my homemade bierocks! I also have barbecued beef and homemade chili planned. We plan a buffet of local Mexican food. I promise I'll feed you some great Kansas food, and you won't go hungry!
Thanks a million....
That's right... tease me! I don't get back from LA until Friday afternoon, but I might still drop in on Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 4 2010, 04:48 PM) *
That's right... tease me! I don't get back from LA until Friday afternoon, but I might still drop in on Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed.
You'll be sick of ginger snaps by then, but you might really like the salted nut roll bars.... and of course chocolate chip can't be beat. I promise you can take a batch home with you if you show up in GC!
Gint
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Feb 4 2010, 04:55 PM) *
You'll be sick of ginger snaps by then, but you might really like the salted nut roll bars.... and of course chocolate chip can't be beat. I promise you can take a batch home with you if you show up in GC!
Never! Those things are awesome! But I like salted nut rolls too. I'll have to quit eating entirely afterward.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Feb 4 2010, 05:55 PM) *

Might need choco chip for the 620 mile ride home in my teener just in case she breaks down. LOL
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Good News Mary! Hey, be sure to update the spread sheet Paul did when you have eliminated the items you may have. This will avoid duplicating efforts. We'll get this one step at a time.

Remember: Those of you that are inspired to make this happen and want to contribute ship your parts here!

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379

Is there a trick to the link? All I get is the Google Docs homepage. I have an entire '73 (yellow) dismantled in a storage building. I have some of these parts you have mentioned.
Dr Evil
Man, all my favorite foods! chowtime.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 4 2010, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2010, 05:41 PM) *

BUTTERCUP PARTS SHIP TO:
Buttercup 914
c/o Mary Shortridge
105 Drury Lane
Garden City, KS 67846
620-272-4379

Is there a trick to the link? All I get is the Google Docs homepage. I have an entire '73 (yellow) dismantled in a storage building. I have some of these parts you have mentioned.

Crap, Something happened to the sheet. Paul (lotus_65) Made it maybe he can fix it for us. Sorry.
tat2dphreak
I do have a new clutch cable (I heard you should carry spare cables!)

yep, extra throttle and clutch are always a good plan. absolute mandatory in a VW wink.gif

damn ya'll are making me snacky tongue.gif
lotus_65
guy's, add the parts you can supply here too. i can transfer the info until i find the glitch.

ok,

linkey:
The Lee Cyr Memorial 914 Build Off Classic Parts List

something happened to the code. i sent it to you rick, maybe you could edit your post with it.

l8r

thefleur
Gint
Mary,

You mentioned last Saturday that you'd like to upgrade to chrome bumpers, perhaps in the future. There are two new classified ads here for early front and rear bumpers that include bumper tops and fog light grills. They are a bit spendy at $400 each, but I thought I would point it out to you so you could have a look and determine if it's something you wanted to do right now. If you're interested I would ask for more pictures to verify the condition of the bumper tops. If you went this route it would also eliminate the need for bumper tops and pads.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103492
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103491
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
Kirmizi
Box o'parts shipped and a icon_bump.gif
Mike
Gint
Mike, send me a PM with the parts you sent and I'll update the spreadsheet.
Kirmizi
PM sent. You gonna make it tomorrow?
Mike
Gint
Working on a reply. Yeah, I'm in for tomorrow. If you hadn't already shipped those parts you you could have brought them down to me tomorrow. But you may have some more junk. Let me get that PM reply finished.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.