Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 19 2010, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(markb @ Mar 18 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Wonderful! I wish I could have made it out for the build, you all did a great job putting it together. smilie_pokal.gif

I do have one bad piece of news, tho, the rear targa latches are on the wrong sides.

THANKS!
I'll get the latches switched. This forum is so awesome; help is just a keyboard away! I wish you all were closer, but I'll keep plugging away on these little details to be fixed, and look forward to the day when Buttercup gets to gather with other 914s!

Wait until you are putting on that slap.gif ar15.gif screwy.gif hissyfit.gif targa pad that goes over the targa catches. Getting the screws started in the bottom of the holes is a job that would try the patience of Jobe.
tat2dphreak
Getting the screws started in the bottom of the holes is a job that would try the patience of Jobe.

agree.gif QFT

every time I look at this thread I can't help but think how amazing it looks! smilie_pokal.gif

if that place was decorated a little more like a 50s diner, it could be a Calendar shot!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 19 2010, 08:48 AM) *

every time I look at this thread I can't help but think how amazing it looks! smilie_pokal.gif

if that place was decorated a little more like a 50s diner, it could be a Calendar shot!

Yep - I find myself staring at that picture a lot too...........
Mary Shortridge
AND THERE WAS LIGHT!!!! biggrin.gif Thanks to Ed's detailed directions, I got the tag lights working this afternoon! It probably doesn't sound like that big a deal, but it is one more item crossed off the list, and means there isn't a problem with the wiring for Dwayne to hunt down for me.
Now, I need advice on what is still wrong with my latches. I switched them to the correct location, but the hook still doesn't want to go up over the post on the targa top. Should I put some washers under the "post" hardware to lower them a bit, so that the hook might be able to reach? Or perhaps the latches are put together wrong? Any advice appreciated.
I also thought I'd make you dog lovers smile at my guard dog. Molly is very protective of her "little car". She is my poster child for orthodontia! (My friend suggests she needs her hair dyed black so I don't have to constantly vaccuum Buttercup!)
john grier
Mary,
We all go through this,
I think where latches you put on are sloted.
You have to balance them locking the top down
and then tighten the latches.
Oh, where is the back pad.
They look so much nicer with one
even if it is cracked
John
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(john grier @ Mar 25 2010, 06:45 PM) *

Mary,
We all go through this,
I think where latches you put on are sloted.
You have to balance them locking the top down
and then tighten the latches.
Oh, where is the back pad.
They look so much nicer with one
even if it is cracked
John

Not slotted enough to reach any better than pictured... I have them pushed up as far as possible...
I don't have the upholstered piece on yet, until I get this issue sorted out.
Any other ideas? Do the hooks look like they are on the hardware correctly?
THANKS!!!!!
Dr Evil
Mary,
are you still having a fuse blow when you use your hazards? Are your turn signals still out? I have been wicked busy so I havent dont the simple schematic for ya. If these are still issues, I will see what I can do.
Gint
Mary, try pushing down on the corner of the top. If you put new seals and such on the top it may just be a case of them not be compressed yet. Are the front latches latched?
bandjoey
From my distant memory it seem like there are 2 different tops, the difference being the rubber block that butts down on the latch. One is taller than the other. If it's the rubber pad, you might try shaving a little off of the block of rubber. Someone expert in top heritage can pipe in on this.

Mary Shortridge
Boy, do I feel stupid! But VICTORIOUS!
Yesterday an airplane builder friend of mine stopped by. Told him of my targa top dilemma, with latches not wanting to rise up high enough to catch the peg.
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The screw heads were too tall, and the hook wasn't able to slide past the screw head! Today I bought new flat head screws from the local hardware store (metric, can you believe it! biggrin.gif) . Came home and installed, and YIPPEE!!!! Targa top goes on, no problem! A small step for Buttercup and a giant leap for Mary!
Also, he suggested I stuff a rag or something similar in the top of my upholstery, to keep from losing screws down behind, when I invariably drop them. I am making progress!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Apr 1 2010, 01:44 PM) *

Also, he suggested I stuff a rag or something similar in the top of my upholstery, to keep from losing screws down behind, when I invariably drop them. I am making progress!

This is great news - I know who to call now when I get to putting my targa pieces back together biggrin.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 1 2010, 02:49 PM) *

This is great news - I know who to call now when I get to putting my targa pieces back together biggrin.gif

Yeah, as long as you don't care how long it takes! biggrin.gif And how many advisors I have helping!!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
rick 918-S
Oh ya. I can see that now! Good job mary!
Gint
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Apr 1 2010, 12:51 PM) *
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 1 2010, 02:49 PM) *

Yeah, as long as you don't care how long it takes! biggrin.gif And how many advisors I have helping!!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
Typical 914 owner. Whatever it takes! beer.gif
Kansas 914
I know Jaime might be working on a real video - but I thought I would post my time lapse from the build - it is all 3 1/2 days of the build in one video - with some early images of the car - and some music from the era (1973 or so).

The video is 20 minutes long. I am working on trimming it down to under 10 minutes so I can get it posted up to YouTube.

There are 3 versions depending on your bandwidth - try the best quality version first and you may have to work down to something less.

High Quality

Medium Quality

Low Quality
Mary Shortridge
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:58 AM) *

I know Jaime might be working on a real video - but I thought I would post my time lapse from the build - it is all 3 1/2 days of the build in one video - with some early images of the car - and some music from the era (1973 or so).

The video is 20 minutes long. I am working on trimming it down to under 10 minutes so I can get it posted up to YouTube.

There are 3 versions depending on your bandwidth - try the best quality version first and you may have to work down to something less.

High Quality

Medium Quality

Low Quality

DUDE, you rock! aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Apr 5 2010, 09:58 AM) *

High Quality

Medium Quality

Low Quality

I can't watch it here at work, but I have to know...

Did you include the Beatles "With a Little Help from My Friends"? It seemed so appropriate when I heard it while we were working on Buttercup.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 5 2010, 10:01 AM) *

I can't watch it here at work, but I have to know...

Did you include the Beatles "With a Little Help from My Friends"? It seemed so appropriate when I heard it while we were working on Buttercup.

Hi Clay,

No it doesn't include that song - but it should - I will try to work it in on the "re-mix".

Thanks!
StratPlayer
A job well done,, you all should be very proud..... Looked like the show overhauling, that's what I was thinking while watching your movie. Great job to all that participated. smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif
Root_Werks
This truly is a great thread to read.

I agree with what has already been said, new seals are likely pushing your top up a little too far.

That said, be carefull to have all new seals lined up before squishing them into a locked position. If not, it's a quick way to deform new seals not having them settled correctly.
Mary Shortridge
I am SOOOOOOOOO pumped! Dwayne got the new turn signal switch and wiper switch installed this afternoon, after some intense modification. He had to swipe the plastic wire housing from the old switches and throw away the new. (They were too big to fit inside the column) Anyway, he also determined that my headlight switch is spastic, and that was causing some funky lighting issues. Long story short........I HAVE TURN SIGNALS! AND A HORN! AND WIPERS! (And rain-x biggrin.gif )
Got the rockers screwed down completely while Buttercup was on the lift. Lots of other little squawks fixed, too. Still need to chase down the alternator issue, but in the meantime she just goes on the charger occassionally. THIS IS TOO FUN!
We are off for a Sunday afternoon drive, and a photo session, maybe.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Apr 11 2010, 02:54 PM) *

I am SOOOOOOOOO pumped! Dwayne got the new turn signal switch and wiper switch installed this afternoon, after some intense modification. He had to swipe the plastic wire housing from the old switches and throw away the new. (They were too big to fit inside the column) Anyway, he also determined that my headlight switch is spastic, and that was causing some funky lighting issues. Long story short........I HAVE TURN SIGNALS! AND A HORN! AND WIPERS! (And rain-x biggrin.gif )
Got the rockers screwed down completely while Buttercup was on the lift. Lots of other little squawks fixed, too. Still need to chase down the alternator issue, but in the meantime she just goes on the charger occassionally. THIS IS TOO FUN!
We are off for a Sunday afternoon drive, and a photo session, maybe.

Good to know you are chasing the rebuild gremlins... have a nice Sunday drive!
tat2dphreak
the little things to fix are the fun part of ownership, as long as you can balance them with driving, of course smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
Another bright spot in Buttercup's life was Elissa's visit home this week. She hasn't seen Buttercup since the build, or gone for a ride in her! Unfortunately it has been rainy and ugly today for pictures, so we didn't venture far and were cut short by showers. We had the top off! Couldn't wait to share some photos, and the news that Elissa actually got to drive her, with only one lesson on a standard transmission she did really well! It was such fun--- Thanks so much to all of you!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ May 19 2010, 05:25 PM) *

Another bright spot in Buttercup's life was Elissa's visit home this week. She hasn't seen Buttercup since the build, or gone for a ride in her! Unfortunately it has been rainy and ugly today for pictures, so we didn't venture far and were cut short by showers. We had the top off! Couldn't wait to share some photos, and the news that Elissa actually got to drive her, with only one lesson on a standard transmission she did really well! It was such fun--- Thanks so much to all of you!

WOW! - That sums it all up for me - this is what is all about.

So was that her college graduation present?!?! biggrin.gif
Mary Shortridge
No.................shame on you!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ May 19 2010, 05:31 PM) *

No.................shame on you!

I knew that would get you going!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ May 19 2010, 06:25 PM) *

pray.gif wub.gif w00t.gif
rick 918-S
That's great! driving-girl.gif
OneOfThemNARPGuys
Will Buttercup be present at Red Rocks this year Mary?
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(OneOfThemNARPGuys @ May 20 2010, 08:31 AM) *

Unfortunately we can't make it this year, as we have a Cyr family reunion at that time. (It has been YEARS since this tiny group got together...and I am taking dad.) We'll make sure to have it on our calendar for next year, though! Thanks for thinking of us.... can't wait to show you Buttercup!
hot_shoe914

You could always join Buttercup at the MUSR 11 on The Tail of the Dragon in October! aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 20 2010, 11:09 PM) *

You could always join Buttercup at the MUSR 11 on The Tail of the Dragon in October! aktion035.gif

Naaa.. he won't. He is one of the cali wussies who think that driving from LA to San Deigo is waaaaaaaayyyyy toooooooooo farrrrrrrr! poke.gif

Mary Shortridge
Carrie and Allen Sweet came thru GC today on their way to Doc Evil's transmission clinic in Denver. It was so fun to show them a running Buttercup! They even drove her, and made me a squawk list to add to my "to do" list. They assure me I have nothing wrong that is harmful, so I am pumped! I then took Buttercup out to the bodyshop so Rudy (and his friend Junior in photo) could have an up close look at the "finished" car! Buttercup made her own sunshine today!!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ May 21 2010, 02:51 PM) *

Carrie and Allen Sweet came thru GC today on their way to Doc Evil's transmission clinic in Denver. It was so fun to show them a running Buttercup! They even drove her, and made me a squawk list to add to my "to do" list. They assure me I have nothing wrong that is harmful, so I am pumped! I then took Buttercup out to the bodyshop so Rudy (and his friend Junior in photo) could have an up close look at the "finished" car! Buttercup made her own sunshine today!!!!

I am so glad that they got to see the finished car up close and personal! I am also glad you finally got some sun.

The car looks great!
Mary Shortridge
You need to come drive her! I won't make you take the top off..... biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ May 21 2010, 03:00 PM) *

You need to come drive her! I won't make you take the top off..... biggrin.gif

I wouldn't want to mess up my hair after all......
rick 918-S
biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914

Are those yellow shoes Lizard is wearing? confused24.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 22 2010, 02:21 AM) *

Are those yellow shoes Lizard is wearing? confused24.gif

Yes, but she wasn't wearing those when she drove Buttercup!
Gint
Thanks for the ginger snaps Mary!!!!!!!!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Gint @ May 22 2010, 11:43 PM) *

Thanks for the ginger snaps Mary!!!!!!!!

I got some today, totally freaking awesome cookies!!! aktion035.gif
Mary Shortridge
Buttercup got to give rides today to a friend's grandkids----3 five year olds! Which one gets to ride first? Ellee! Then Jordan, then Hunter. Such fun!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 6 2010, 11:21 AM) *

Buttercup got to give rides today to a friend's grandkids----3 five year olds! Which one gets to ride first? Ellee! Then Jordan, then Hunter. Such fun!

That car just keeps getting better looking every time I see a picture - probably becuase you are driving it - a lesson we could all benefit from....
Mary Shortridge
I had to scrub bugs off when I got home, but she is little enough it didn't take very long! I even did the wheel wells, the sprinklers got us a couple of times. The kids thought that was great fun having the top off.
She sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good, on a pretty day like today I could have kept going, and going, and going................ biggrin.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 6 2010, 12:33 PM) *

That car just keeps getting better looking every time I see a picture - probably becuase you are driving it - a lesson we could all benefit from....

I'll never forget that I am the lucky one, the one who had all of 914world making sure that I would get to drive her. It never would have happened otherwise.......
tat2dphreak

agree.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 6 2010, 10:33 AM) *

agree.gif

And the best part is that you are enjoying it, driving it, and sharing it.. aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
In one's lifetime they a usually lucky if the happen to meet a handful of super special people. I consider myself Extremely luck and I have met an entire "914World" of special people with you being one of the most special Mary. You are truly an asset to 914World.com!

Shoe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.