Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
jt914-6
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 25 2010, 07:04 PM) *

Buttercup is back to running GREAT! Thanks to my aircraft mechanics Mitchell, Ed and Gary. They found the fried wires, and then tweaked some other stuff, and finished my list of stuff I had wanted done, like a 12V accessory plug. And.... Mitchell waxed her over his lunch hour, before he called me to come get her!!! No bird crap on her trunk from these guys! A big THANKS to all the advice via the phone and email, and KS914 loaning me his easy-to-read wiring diagrams. You can see by the photo of the KS Twisty, we are practicing for the Dragon! biggrin.gif

Mary....I have always said that in a 914 you can take the suggested corner speed and DOUBLE it for our cars....... driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Nürburg Nomad
This thread and Buttercup are awesome! Great to read about the 914World community coming together to accomplish such a feat! Nice updated photos of Buttercup also. biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Okay, I have just spent the last 2 1/2 to 3 hours reading this thread from start to finish and stopping to look at videos and photos. I suggest you all do it again as it is almost the 1st year anniversary of the Buttercup Build. Just a great reminder of what this group is all about!

Shoe
Dr Evil
Timely, Don. Very timely smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 15 2011, 06:04 AM) *

Timely, Don. Very timely smile.gif

We should all set a reminder to do that once a year - for a lot of reasons...

The pre-build visit to Garden City was on January 29 thru 31 with Rick Ollah (rick 918-S), Mike Ginter (Gint) and myself (Kansas 914).

The actual build was February 18 thru 21 was was attending by 914World members Ed Morrow, Mike Lesniak, Clay Perrine, Wayne Fry, Bill Andrews, Donald Russell and me.

I thought I was going there to build a car - but ended up building lifelong friendships.

Cheers!
zymurgist
I wish I could have been there. Nursing my geriatric doggie at the time. sad.gif
hot_shoe914
icon_bump.gif ing this to the top to help a new member find it. Feel free to read it again people, the story never gets old. first.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 21 2011, 07:34 AM) *

icon_bump.gif ing this to the top to help a new member find it. Feel free to read it again people, the story never gets old. first.gif

Nice timing on the BUMP - one of Mary's goals was to drive the car by the first day of Spring 2010 - and thanks to all those that helped the goal was more than achived!

I think this picture was taken on or about March 17th (one of my favorites).

Click to view attachment
callplatinum
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Mar 21 2011, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 21 2011, 07:34 AM) *

Nice timing on the BUMP - one of Mary's goals was to drive the car by the first day of Spring 2010 - and thanks to all those that helped the goal was more than achived!

I think this picture was taken on or about March 17th (one of my favorites).

Click to view attachment

Very nice looking car!!
bandjoey
Still wear the Buttercup yellow T nearly every week. That was a blast.
driving.gif
12 hour drive, 3 hours sleep, 36 hours of work / fun, 12 hours home. All in the snow!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 14 2013, 09:46 PM) *

Still wear the Buttercup yellow T nearly every week. That was a blast.
driving.gif
12 hour drive, 3 hours sleep, 36 hours of work / fun, 12 hours home. All in the snow!

Only 12 hours(with a co driver) in a luxury minivan. Must have been nice. Took me more like 16 or 17 hours in a crusty, rusty old 914 loaded with parts. WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING!!! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif screwy.gif driving.gif
EdwardBlume
You guys rock! aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
We need a Buttercup reunion build.
hot_shoe914
Just a reminder, today is the anniversary of the ButterCup build. If you haven't read this story, or read it lately, DO IT NOW!!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BUTTERCUP!!!!

Click to view attachment

What is even more cool is the fact that on this anniversary day of the build, my post just happens to be post number 914, how awesome!!!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
I just found the Buttercup DVD and watched it again today. Great car, great owner, great world members, and great donations from people like you!

Thanks again to all who participated!
bandjoey
It was a super few days. My yellow T shirt is wearing a litttte thin but I still wear it. driving.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 10 2016, 03:34 PM) *

I just found the Buttercup DVD and watched it again today. Great car, great owner, great world members, and great donations from people like you!

Thanks again to all who participated!

I just returned from one of my storage units to get pinball parts and found the video in one of the boxes I brought home. I'll watch it after The Masters is over.
ClayPerrine
We still have the card and picture up on the mantle in the living room.

biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
icon_bump.gif
ejm
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 21 2021, 11:25 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

Great idea Don! Lots of new members here that have never heard this story and I have an update on Buttercup.

Last fall just before being put away for the winter Buttercup developed a fuel leak. Over the winter Mary and I made plans and this past June my wife and I flew to Nebraska. Staying with Mary and Ron I was able to fix a bunch of small issues and BC is back on the road. In between wrenching sessions we did some really great sightseeing and created more once in a lifetime memorable experiences just like the original build was.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Very cool. I remember this build happening. Glad to see they are still enjoying this beautiful car. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Great time in our lives. This is how we roll here. Great to see the car again. Nice work Ed!! beerchug.gif
76-914
I remember this wonderful undertaking as well. When people witness the good deeds of others they become better men themselves. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
Great to get an update on this special car and good on you Ed for going the distance to keep Buttercup on the road. Everybody wins!
Root_Werks
Wow, blast from the past! Great thread made possible by a bunch of great people. Glad to see Buttercup is still on the road.
ejm
Click to view attachment

Update time!

It was 13 years ago today that Buttercup ran for the first time in many years. For the newbies here there's video back on page 31 of this thread.

This past October I visited Mary and we took Buttercup out to the airport. That turned into an adventure! Light bucking on the way out there worsened as BC warmed up. On the way back she stalled at a light and wouldn't restart. The points had closed up. A few minutes on the side of the road with a screwdriver and we blasted back home. Looking forward to next time!

And today is also Mary's daughter's birthday. Happy Birthday Elissa!

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 21 2023, 07:26 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Update time!

It was 13 years ago today that Buttercup ran for the first time in many years. For the newbies here there's video back on page 31 of this thread.

This past October I visited Mary and we took Buttercup out to the airport. That turned into an adventure! Light bucking on the way out there worsened as BC warmed up. On the way back she stalled at a light and wouldn't restart. The points had closed up. A few minutes on the side of the road with a screwdriver and we blasted back home. Looking forward to next time!

And today is also Mary's daughter's birthday. Happy Birthday Elissa!

Click to view attachment

Very nice Ed! Hi Mary! Happy Birthday Ellisa!
ClayPerrine
13 years... how time flies.

Glad Buttercup is still up and running. And looking great.

VaccaRabite
Such a pretty car. I'm thrilled its still up and kicking!

Zach
KELTY360
Viva Buttercup!......and all those who contributed encouragement, parts and their valuable time and expertise. This thread should be required reading for newbies who don't remember it. The spirit and generosity of the 914World community is embodied on these pages.

So glad to see Buttercup still on the road and looking great. I still have the Christmas tree ornament Mary sent to all who participated....thanks Mary.

All the best...Marc
Root_Werks
Very cool and so nice to see Buttercup still going strong!

driving.gif
ClayPerrine
This still resides on my mantle.

Click to view attachment

The official motto of PCA is "It's not the cars, it's the people." 914World doesn't have an official motto. We don't need to say it. Things like this speak louder than words.

ThinAir
So nice to see this thread! I had a chance to meet Mary last October when I was passing through and we had lunch together. Even though we had never met, it was like old friends who had known each other for years. Next time I'll plan better so I can see Buttercup too!
bandjoey
13 years and still happy memories of that weekend wrenching on Buttercup. Why not plan a 15 year reunion? See how many of US are still running smile.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 21 2023, 07:41 PM) *

13 years and still happy memories of that weekend wrenching on Buttercup. Why not plan a 15 year reunion? See how many of US are still running smile.gif

lol-2.gif I hear ya brother! howard.gif assimilate.gif
ClayPerrine

This time we can show up with our 914s.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Last time some of us flew in and went through the parts to see what was needed before the event. It would be great to drive next time.
hot_shoe914
Bumping this to the top for someone.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 26 2023, 06:24 PM) *

Bumping this to the top for someone.

Shoe
beerchug.gif

Thanks!
Dr Evil
Man, 13yrs. Time does fly. So much change since then. So glad I got to participate in this smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 21 2023, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 21 2023, 08:22 PM) *

Last time some of us flew in and went through the parts to see what was needed before the event. It would be great to drive next time.

Might need a year advance notice to inspire people to get their cars on the road again.
Gint
Wow! 13 years!?!?! Time flies.

I could go for some of Mary's ginger snaps. chowtime.gif
rick 918-S
Hmm, that may just be doable. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.