Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
hot_shoe914
Oooo that's harsh... huh.gif Hey now, Rob has very small children. I have been where he is. The kids do not like when daddy leaves and let mom know every chance they get all weekend loooong. shades.gif Even the best kids do it.
[/quote]

But...but, it is his motor that is powering my car up there. I even went out in the elements today to make sure she was worthy in case I ran into inclement weather during the trip.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
notice the ButterCup yellow engine lid.? I have the orange one but the yellow makes the trip as a tribute to ButterCup.

Click to view attachment

Guess I will have to throw a cheap paint job on it since Rob won't be there to do the prep work on it. slap.gif
rick 918-S
Holy crap! You guys got nailed! w00t.gif Sheeze I hope that crap melts!
EdwardBlume
After seeing that snow, I quadruple dog dare you.... cheer.gif cheer.gif Alaska sled style pack o dog dare you... cheer.gif cheer.gif

But seriously, it would be a personal honor to participate in the build for Mary and her family. I know what things like this mean to everyone who can make it... and the experience will stay with you...

Its the 914 mystique for sure... aktion035.gif

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 8 2010, 09:26 PM) *

After seeing that snow, I quadruple dog dare you.... cheer.gif cheer.gif Alaska sled style pack o dog dare you... cheer.gif cheer.gif

But seriously, it would be a personal honor to participate in the build for Mary and her family. I know what things like this mean to everyone who can make it... and the experience will stay with you...

Its the 914 mystique for sure... aktion035.gif

I know you would be there if you could. You will be there in spirit and I will even consume your share of the food chowtime.gif and beer beer3.gif along with mine so they will think you are there. If we all get a turn around the block in Butter Cup driving.gif I will make 2 laps, one for me and one for you. aktion035.gif
Mary Shortridge
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
I am cheering ALL of you guys..... so much thought, energy, and money is going in to this Build. There is no way Buttercup would ever had made it this far without all of you.
Can't wait to see that yellow engine lid! biggrin.gif
hot_shoe914
Do we have a head count yet of how many will be there. I have something in the works and kind of need to know. At least a real close estimate.
bandjoey
Hows the defrost working? Better pak in plenty of Jack Daniels antifreeze in case you get stuck, and Pray for early spring.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 9 2010, 07:35 AM) *

Do we have a head count yet of how many will be there. I have something in the works and kind of need to know. At least a real close estimate.

I think there will be 8 working on the car including you with a rumor that Mike Ginter might make the trip down on Saturday (up to 9).

Mary also has family and friends that will be in attendance that could add another 8 or so to the total.
bandjoey
Wayne and I will be pulling in about 6am on Saturday. We need directions - address for google maps- , a name of a place to get breakfast, and the time we can get into the garage.

Don, your heater control looks kinda grungy...could be the photo...I have a really nice looking one I'll bring along so we can pick the best one.

Anyone out there with know how on setting up a web cam link, I can set up my laptop with camera and just turn it on for the viewing audience.

I also have a complete set of bolts/nuts/tabs for the dash I'm looking for to bring. Just have to find which bucket they're in.

Do we need shop rags? Orange handcleaner? Rubber gloves? blow up dolls?

Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 9 2010, 07:28 PM) *

Wayne and I will be pulling in about 6am on Saturday. We need directions - address for google maps- , a name of a place to get breakfast, and the time we can get into the garage.

Don, your heater control looks kinda grungy...could be the photo...I have a really nice looking one I'll bring along so we can pick the best one.

Anyone out there with know how on setting up a web cam link, I can set up my laptop with camera and just turn it on for the viewing audience.

I also have a complete set of bolts/nuts/tabs for the dash I'm looking for to bring. Just have to find which bucket they're in.

Do we need shop rags? Orange handcleaner? Rubber gloves? blow up dolls?

Call me on my cell when you are getting close, and I'll meet you. 620-272-4379
The best place to eat breakfast will be the Clarion, or IHOP ( I didn't think it was too great....) Luke & Rena's shop is on South Main.
I will post a map shortly.
I have shop rags, orange handcleaner, and rubber gloves. Anything else you think of, let me know and I'll go shopping. Oh, and LOTS of cookies! Lots of beef, too... this is cattle country!
Dr Evil
BEEF COOKIES! chowtime.gif
Kansas 914

/
Got Skype on that laptop? That makes it easy but is limited to a single remote connection at a time.

I will bring a laptop with webcam as well. There is wireless in the building but the router is a long way away and a stee wall between the two makes getting a signal an issue.

There is a small chance I can get a camera web server with 4 cameras on the router and port forward it. That unit allows 25 or so simultaneous users but really likes a static IP (maybe a little DDNS program will solve that)
A&PGirl
My Dad and I found a shortcut around Dodge City because we both dislike it a lot.

Going to Mary's from Wichita, turn onto Saddle Rd/Fort Ensign Rd at Ford and Take it all the way to Ensign. Merge onto Highway 56. You'll be going LEFT (gentle Southwest curve). Turn NORTH onto Highway 23. At Cimarron, turn back onto Highway 400/50 going West.

Shortcut around Dodge City

Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif You saved 30mins or more not going through Dodge and running the very high risk of getting pulled over.

Gas is available at Ford & Cimarron.
rick 918-S
I pulled the fog light switch from the hulk in my storage garage. I'll get it shipped.

Click to view attachment

Also I was reviewing my notes and photos. Anyone have a good set of vertical sail trim? The ones at the shop are painted trim black and very dented. Here's a photo of what I'm looking for. The ones on my hulk are also dented.

Click to view attachment
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 9 2010, 08:00 PM) *

BEEF COOKIES! chowtime.gif

We LOVE beef, but maybe not that much...... confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
I will be in Thursday night around 10.

What time are we starting on Friday? I need to know what time to be up and out of bed.

Also, If you can get me a list of the parts you need new, I will be going by Zims on Friday, and can get them shipped quickly.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 10 2010, 07:08 AM) *

I will be in Thursday night around 10.

What time are we starting on Friday? I need to know what time to be up and out of bed.

Also, If you can get me a list of the parts you need new, I will be going by Zims on Friday, and can get them shipped quickly.

Hi Clay,

Here is a link to the latest parts needed page: PARTS NEEDED

don't know where to source some of these parts...
ClayPerrine
I added some comments, and some parts that I know I have.

Kansas 914
Does anyone have a heater pull cable?

It attaches to the flappers and loops thru the heater control handle in the cockpit.

Looks like #59
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 9 2010, 08:22 PM) *

/
Got Skype on that laptop? That makes it easy but is limited to a single remote connection at a time.

I will bring a laptop with webcam as well. There is wireless in the building but the router is a long way away and a stee wall between the two makes getting a signal an issue.

There is a small chance I can get a camera web server with 4 cameras on the router and port forward it. That unit allows 25 or so simultaneous users but really likes a static IP (maybe a little DDNS program will solve that)

Don't use it but skype's there. See ya there.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 10 2010, 08:12 AM) *

Does anyone have a heater pull cable?

It attaches to the flappers and loops thru the heater control handle in the cockpit.

Looks like #59
Click to view attachment

Nope... that part is NLA. I tried to get one when I did my car.

Get picture hanging wire from the hardware store. It works fine.
Dr Evil
It needs to be more rigid than pic wire. But, a similar material can be gotten in town, I bet.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 03:02 PM) *

It needs to be more rigid than pic wire. But, a similar material can be gotten in town, I bet.

Just found this: Auto Atlanta has it in the catalog for $22. Whether they have it in stock is not known.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 10 2010, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Just found this: Auto Atlanta has it in the catalog for $22. Whether they have it in stock is not known.

I actually used a fairly thick picture wire. No problems so far. It only pulls, so no issues with flexibility.
hwgunner
still waiting for a list. Any new parts at cost. Let me know.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Feb 10 2010, 03:15 PM) *

still waiting for a list. Any new parts at cost. Let me know.

Thanks Jonathan!

I have a parts needed list:

1.7L vacuum lines complete
Turbo Tie Ends
Heater Pull Cable to flappers
20 Windshield clips
Rear Window Setting tape/blocks

What am I missing????
Dr Evil
AP said she would get some of the gaskets and such, but here is the list I made from the main list.

Axle flange gaskets
Copper exhaust nuts x8
Muffler gaskets
exhaust head gaskets
Turbo tie rod set
Cone screws x2
Seal atop the windshield under the targa seal.
L and R door window felt strips
Side marker gaskets

Mark (Mikey914) said he is sending a care package of seals and that he would have bumper tops for front and rear next week. Not sure if in time, but they are not necessary to make the car go. I will be happy if only non essential stuff is left that Mary can do with our guidance smile.gif However, I am shooting for completion.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 03:44 PM) *

AP said she would get some of the gaskets and such, but here is the list I made from the main list.

Axle flange gaskets
Copper exhaust nuts x8
Muffler gaskets
exhaust head gaskets
Turbo tie rod set
Cone screws x2
Seal atop the windshield under the targa seal.
L and R door window felt strips
Side marker gaskets

Mark (Mikey914) said he is sending a care package of seals and that he would have bumper tops for front and rear next week. Not sure if in time, but they are not necessary to make the car go. I will be happy if only non essential stuff is left that Mary can do with our guidance smile.gif However, I am shooting for completion.

I agree, and actually had a conversation with Mary last Saturday about completion.

I told her anything left would likely be easy for her to complete with our help by posting photos and asking questions.

Shoot for the moon though!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 05:44 PM) *

I offered Mary my new inbox Mikey914 bumper tops until he has new ones made (the blizzard back East may delay him getting some raw product). I have both front and rear that have never been out of the box.

I bought mine for the '72 that is still in paint & body - it could be awhile before it comes home - weeks anyway.
Mikey914
I can throw one of these in the care package no problem.
-Seal atop the windshield under the targa seal.
It's going out tomorrow, and the bumpers I'll do my best to get there ASAP.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 10 2010, 04:13 PM) *

I can throw one of these in the care package no problem.
-Seal atop the windshield under the targa seal.
It's going out tomorrow, and the bumpers I'll do my best to get there ASAP.

clap56.gif
hwgunner
Getting late here but i will get everyting together tomorrow that I can and then post what i have and will get. Let me know if there is anything else.
A&PGirl
I'm getting:

Axle flange gaskets x4
Copper exhaust nuts x8
Muffler gaskets
exhaust head gaskets
Axle bolt washers x16
Transmission oil
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
Extra set of valve cover gaskets for the 1st adjustment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Feb 10 2010, 06:41 PM) *

I'm getting:

Axle flange gaskets x4
Copper exhaust nuts x8
Muffler gaskets
exhaust head gaskets
Axle bolt washers x16
Transmission oil
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid

boldblue.gif burnout.gif driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 10 2010, 09:14 PM) *

QUOTE(A&PGirl @ Feb 10 2010, 06:41 PM) *

I'm getting:

Axle flange gaskets x4
Copper exhaust nuts x8
Muffler gaskets
exhaust head gaskets
Axle bolt washers x16
Transmission oil
Engine Oil
Brake Fluid

boldblue.gif burnout.gif driving-girl.gif

Okay, I thought I was bringing the copper exhaust head gaskets but if you are bringing them I will unpack mine.
hot_shoe914
If all goes well I will be leaving Thursday evening after work and driving all night to get there by Friday morning. I still need a roomie for Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night if anyone is staying over Sunday night. If not I might just bring a tent and a sleeping bag if I can squeeze them into the car.
Dr Evil
I thought I would supply the CV bolts and washers. It is kind of my thing wink.gif

I'll even wire them.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 10 2010, 10:32 PM) *

If all goes well I will be leaving Thursday evening after work and driving all night to get there by Friday morning. I still need a roomie for Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night if anyone is staying over Sunday night. If not I might just bring a tent and a sleeping bag if I can squeeze them into the car.

Dude, bring a sleeping bag and stay at the shop. I would crash at the shop if I had room for a bag in my luggage. Easy to get up and get back to work wink.gif Or, there is always the floor in mine and Ed's room. If Ed is cool with it so am I. I will have to get ear plugs, that's all.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 09:45 PM) *

Dude, bring a sleeping bag and stay at the shop. I would crash at the shop if I had room for a bag in my luggage. Easy to get up and get back to work wink.gif Or, there is always the floor in mine and Ed's room. If Ed is cool with it so am I. I will have to get ear plugs, that's all.

Clarion will provide a roll out bed, I am quite sure. I will confirm that today. An option....
Mary Shortridge
A reminder: each room is supposed to come with two drink tickets each night. They normally don't give them out on the weekends. Just tell them Samy ok'd this, and make sure they charge the special rate of $75/night + tax.
THANK YOU for coming to Garden City!
Cevan
Do you still need the rear targa bar trim? I have one that has the typical crack in the middle but otherwise is in nice shape.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 11 2010, 07:27 AM) *

Do you still need the rear targa bar trim? I have one that has the typical crack in the middle but otherwise is in nice shape.

Are you talking about #3 in the image?

Click to view attachment
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 10 2010, 09:45 PM) *

you can crash in our room too, Don. it's all good.
Cevan
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 11 2010, 08:36 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 11 2010, 07:27 AM) *

Are you talking about #3 in the image?

Click to view attachment

Ahh, I think you're right. It looks like it's the chrome exterior trim that's needed. I think I have #1 in the picture. Is this the one that's needed?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 11 2010, 10:58 AM) *

Ahh, I think you're right. It looks like it's the chrome exterior trim that's needed. I think I have #1 in the picture. Is this the one that's needed?

Hopefully Rick will chime in - he had a better look at those pieces than I did.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 11 2010, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Feb 11 2010, 10:58 AM) *

Hopefully Rick will chime in - he had a better look at those pieces than I did.

Sorry, Busy last several days here and it's not getting better...

Part 1) It was painted trim black. This is a heavier piece of trim so it can be cleaned and buffed I think.

Part 3) both sides are dented and bent. If someone has one I would suggest replacing these now.

Part 8) Is the rubber spacer block. I don't recall seeing those but a peice of carefully fitted vacum hose can be used.

Part 6) is also a spacer and seal for the attaching clip. Something needs to be fashioned to prevent overpulling the clip and causing the anodizing to fracture.

Be sure to use a small lump of windsheild buttle on the under side to cover the nut and threads on the clip.
bandjoey
I'll bring alone #3. Mine are dented some, but we can pick the best of the pair. #8 rubber spacer is just that. Pick up a box of assorted rubber faucet washers or some small rubber hose and we can build up a rubber block out of that.

Anyone thinking of an alternate spring time date..just in case..and how far ahead will it be called in case of impassable weather? We're picking up 6" of snow today. I've not seen this much snow here since the 70's. It's the curse of global warming thank you Mr Gore bootyshake.gif !
Mary Shortridge
Just checked the forecast for next weekend. Temps in the mid to upper 40s. Sunshine on Saturday! (only a 10% chance of a 4 letter word on Friday)
I'm glad we don't live on the east coast... they may be digging out for the next month.....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Feb 11 2010, 12:34 PM) *

We're picking up 6" of snow today. I've not seen this much snow here since the 70's. It's the curse of global warming thank you Mr Gore bootyshake.gif !

Yeah - you guys are getting hammered. It is sunny and clear in Kansas today - weird - like the world is upside down or something! It is even cool at Daytona today - the Duels are starting any minute...
Dr Evil
My car is buried. dry.gif I have a good 30-45min of digging before I can go anywhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.