Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
bandjoey
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 26 2010, 01:30 PM) *

We were very motivated... We had to keep working to keep from going comatose from eating all the available food.

agree.gif plus we had to keep moving away from Dr. Evil's chili gas wink.gif

while I agree with Clay that we lost one of our own, before we even got to meet him, I also think we FOUND one of our won in Mary. so many people would have either sold Lee's car or scrapped it. but she took Lee's dream and made it her own, and built it up to something truly special. the fact that she allowed a bunch of strangers(some stranger than others) in, treated them like family, fed them like family and let us help make the car part of the family... well, that is more special than words can describe.

helping out was the right thing to do, that much is obvious. but it was one of the most fun, and rewarding experiences in my life. I got to meet people from all over the country, hang out, and share a passion for these rusty little NARPs. we got to live this event in one of the nicest "shops" I've ever seen. calling it a shop isn't even fair. it's as clean as a museum, yet as comfortable as a nice house.

if I hadn't been there I would truly feel left out. from the outside, the amount of work that was done in a few days seems impossible. but the team work and motivation was second to none.

Yeppp! agree.gif

Not only did I learn a lot about 914's but couldn't have met a nicer bunch of people. Mary and Family, and World people. What a great bunch. The 14 hour work days were the easy part. Going home after the build was the hardest and i wish I had an extra day to stay and help with the final touches! hissyfit.gif So, getting ready to sit down now and look at all the pix's. Happy 914ing Kansas!

Mary Shortridge
FABULOUS NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dwayne came over today and worked on Buttercup. We made TERRIFIC progress on Ed's squawk list. Best of all, she RUNS SMOOTH!!!!!!!!! No more smoke out the tail pipes, either!!! (she had too much oil, we drained a quart and a half) We didn't take her driving today, but plan to next week. Still some issues with the turn signal lights, and the brake light on the dash. I've got a list of projects to finish this week, and Dwayne will come over next weekend to break the engine in. WE GET TO GO DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Feb 28 2010, 06:59 PM) *

FABULOUS NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dwayne came over today and worked on Buttercup. We made TERRIFIC progress on Ed's squawk list. Best of all, she RUNS SMOOTH!!!!!!!!! No more smoke out the tail pipes, either!!! (she had too much oil, we drained a quart and a half) We didn't take her driving today, but plan to next week. Still some issues with the turn signal lights, and the brake light on the dash. I've got a list of projects to finish this week, and Dwayne will come over next weekend to break the engine in. WE GET TO GO DRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary,
there is a switch on the left side of the master cylinder. It gets tripped when the brakes are bled, and it has to be manually reset. It will cause the brake warning light on the dash to stay on. I wasn't able to reach it while on the ground last Sunday, so it didn't get reset. That should shut off the light.

Do you still need a speedo cable?

hot_shoe914
[quote

[/quote]

I used to have a speedo cable. Not sure where it is now. confused24.gif
tat2dphreak
I wasn't able to reach it while on the ground last Sunday,

you needed a boost?

great news Mary! smilie_pokal.gif

Mary Shortridge
[quote name='hot_shoe914' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:22 PM' post='1280421']
[quote

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know where it is!!! biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
[quote name='hot_shoe914' date='Feb 28 2010, 07:22 PM' post='1280421']
[quote

[/quote]

[/quote]

YOU dont need a speedometer.....you need a Mach meter!!
Dr Evil
I'll get a simplified schematic drawn up of the problem circuits as soon as I can. I have two papers to write this week, yet, but I will get to it wink.gif
rick 918-S
Great News Mary!
bandjoey
Post a driving video when the snow let's up biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Where is that vid of me driving shoe's car? biggrin.gif
markb
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 28 2010, 06:40 PM) *

Great News Mary!

agree.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 1 2010, 01:19 AM) *

I think the police are holding it as evidence happy11.gif Want to get a copy up on Youtube?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 1 2010, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 1 2010, 01:19 AM) *

I think the police are holding it as evidence happy11.gif Want to get a copy up on Youtube?

Heck ya! I didnt wreck the car, I need proof wink.gif
Mary Shortridge
You asked for it....... put on your sunglasses! It was rather early this morning, but I DROVE Buttercup out of Luke's shop for photos! I started her seven times yesterday to show off her FABULOUS sounding engine yesterday, and she started every time and ran perfectly! No more smoke out the pipes, either! Still a bit of an oil leak, but we'll see where that is at after the engine gets warmed up via Dwayne. You'll also notice she still seems a bit low on the left side; Dwayne adjusted that Sunday, but may need a bit more. I'll also be checking tire pressure carefully.
I put the stripes on yesterday. Buttercup doesn't have an identity crisis. I almost left them off, but I've tried to put her back the way Lee had her, and I used an original photo to draw the stripes exactly as they were. So, for now........ she has stripes! My favorite vinyl is the back window. The one I received didn't show, so my vinyl guy cut me a new YELLOW one! I'll save the other for my other car!
The rocker panels aren't bolted on yet, in case you noticed the angle looked a bit off...
Look out Garden City!
Dr Evil
Well aint that purty thumb3d.gif

SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
That's impressive! Have Dwayne lower the front suspension. It's adjustable.

smilie_pokal.gif Luv the yellow world banner!
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2010, 02:09 PM) *

THANKS!
dlo914
Well done guys! smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2010, 12:09 PM) *

Have Dwayne lower the front suspension. It's adjustable.

agree.gif

You should drop the front so the floorpan is about level. If you have access to scales, do a corner-balancing (with 1/2 tank of gas and the drivers weight in the drivers seat).

And don't forget to get a 4-wheel alignment afterward. At a shop that does know how to do this on a 914.
cheer.gif Andy
markb
thumb3d.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2010, 02:09 PM) *

agree.gif aktion035.gif

where did you get the banner?

And don't forget to get a 4-wheel alignment afterward. At a shop that does know how to do this on a 914.

yep. we only did a basic/eye-ball alignment on the front-end.
bandjoey
Left Rear Spring need's replacing?
tat2dphreak
Bill, I think that picture is just slightly crooked, or taken on a slant.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 3 2010, 03:57 PM) *

Bill, I think that picture is just slightly crooked, or taken on a slant.

No, she really does lean that much. She was off by 1/2" yesterday. Sunday Dwayne had adjusted her and she looked good. Now, not so good.
New spring? Can I get one fast, so Dwayne could put it on Sunday? I am DYING to drive her!!!!!!!!!!!!
All advice greatly appreciated!
tod914
Awesome job! Car looks fantastic. Way to busta move. Love the black bumpers on it, adds nice contrast.
tat2dphreak
yea, you can get a new pair, I don't remember what shocks are on the rear tho, if they are Bilstiens they may just need to be adjusted to level.

I wouldn't skip driving it just for a sagging spring tho. smile.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Mar 3 2010, 04:04 PM) *

yea, you can get a new pair, I don't remember what shocks are on the rear tho, if they are Bilstiens they may just need to be adjusted to level.

I wouldn't skip driving it just for a sagging spring tho. smile.gif

That's what I like to hear!!!
Gint
Buttercup looks fantastic Mary!
EdwardBlume
agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Looks awesome Mary! You've got a really special car! You'll enjoy driving it for sure!

McMark
Whoa! That's HOT! drooley.gif
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif

Congratulations Mary. Buttercup is certainly a trophy. The stripes look perfect and the black and polished Fuchs look really good with the scheme. All in all that's one fine looking 914 with a helluva story attached. Lee would be very proud and I'm sure you feel closer than ever to your brother because of the restoration. I'm guessing you learned a lot more about 914s than you bargained for. Be sure and take Buttercup to some local car shows and let them see what a real sports car is all about.

Good on ya! driving-girl.gif
EdwardBlume
Great tribute plate too... didn't notice that at first...
Dr Evil
To Lee thumb3d.gif biggrin.gif
jonferns
Looks GREAT!!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 3 2010, 08:40 PM) *

agree.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif aktion035.gif

p.s. Really love that plate, good choice Mary!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 3 2010, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 3 2010, 08:40 PM) *

agree.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif aktion035.gif

p.s. Really love that plate, good choice Mary!

agree.gif aktion035.gif
Mary Shortridge
I spent the afternoon with Buttercup! I took a photo of the "plug" Dwayne made out of a dowel.
I got the pad that goes above the windshield on, and fit under the rubber seal. It looks GREAT!
I also took some photos of the pad that goes above the back window that I was trying to install. I think the leather is too thick to allow it to fit as it is meant to. Shall I trim some of the leather off the ends? I'm sorry the photos aren't better, but perhaps someone knows whether there should be leather on the ends? I suppose the original vinyl wasn't nearly as thick, either. I can get the passenger side to fit in pretty well, but you can tell from the photo that there is too much "length" for the right side to come even close to fitting.
Any advice is appreciated!
ChrisFoley
The car looks real good Mary!

For the suspension, just unscrew the passenger side front torsion bar adjuster until the car sits level at the rear. I've found that its not hard to "feel" when the force on the two front adjusters is equal. The car usually sits pretty level when they are.

On the targa pad, you will probably need to trim away excess leather a little at a time where it makes contact at the ends, until it fits equally at both ends.
rick 918-S
Hi Mary,

agree.gif Trim the leather back. The upper trim pad fits pretty tight without the added material. Looking Good!
Mary Shortridge
Thanks---I'll get out the razor blade!
It has been so much fun getting to tweak a few things on Buttercup. There is still a LOT of little details, but tomorrow, we'll DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!! driving-girl.gif
Dwayne has been attacking his parts car for a few things, and is confident he can get the electrical problem and torsion bar adjustment solved in no time.
Thanks so much for your help!
ejm
Car looks great Mary! I'm pretty sure the leather was applied over the vinyl since installing the side targa bar pieces was a bit of a challenge. If you trim the leather on the ends of the targa pad it may peel back when you push it into place. An alternative may be to trim the leather on the side pieces where you need clearance.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 6 2010, 06:09 AM) *

Car looks great Mary! I'm pretty sure the leather was applied over the vinyl since installing the side targa bar pieces was a bit of a challenge. If you trim the leather on the ends of the targa pad it may peel back when you push it into place. An alternative may be to trim the leather on the side pieces where you need clearance.
]
'
Great idea! I'll cut out a piece slightly smaller than the end of the bar...
bandjoey
Another couple of months and you'll be ready for your 914 engineering and manufacturing license. biggrin.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Another couple of months and you'll be ready for your 914 engineering and manufacturing license. biggrin.gif

Uhhhhhhhh.............don't think so! Next is learning to handle a trailer, so I can haul Buttercup to Dragon's Tail!
Kansas 914

Any chance it will be a two car trailer?

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 6 2010, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2010, 08:54 AM) *

Uhhhhhhhh.............don't think so! Next is learning to handle a trailer, so I can haul Buttercup to Dragon's Tail!

EdwardBlume
Mary / Mike, thanks for the awesome T-shirt and nice note... both will be added to my 914 tribute shelf...
Gint
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 6 2010, 08:08 AM) *
Trailer?!?! Haul it? Drive it! driving-girl.gif
tat2dphreak
I'm driving mine, your's will make it for sure!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.