Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
bandjoey
Get the Kansas - Okla group out and we'll meet up in Memphis. Looks like a drive out. driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Get the Kansas - Okla group out and we'll meet up in Memphis. Looks like a drive out. driving-girl.gif

Need a nice convoy leaving Memphis early Thursday morning for the Dragon!
bandjoey
O.T. We can move this off Buttercup. Get it on the www site when it's up and running...so groups can set up drive schedules to meet up for the final let. Mabey one of those google pin maps with locations of people coming?? You might need 2 hotels if this works out. ps. The Surprise thread is lost in the bottom. Why don't you set up a new up to date one, Shoe? After getting back from TCBY

hot_shoe914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 6 2010, 09:58 PM) *

O.T. We can move this off Buttercup. Get it on the www site when it's up and running...so groups can set up drive schedules to meet up for the final let. Mabey one of those google pin maps with locations of people coming?? You might need 2 hotels if this works out. ps. The Surprise thread is lost in the bottom. Why don't you set up a new up to date one, Shoe? After getting back from TCBY

The web page is ready, just waiting on Clay to put it on the server. I brought up the other thread. If Clay doesn't start a new one I will. In the mean time if anyone has questions feel free to contact me.
Mary Shortridge
Today is a special day... Buttercup came home!
Dwayne and I took her for a spin... to the gas station! She runs GREAT! Dwayne ran her up and down the fairgrounds parking lot, then I drove her around and started giving rides! No turn signals, so that is kind of interesting, but we think it is a switch in the steering column and Dwayne is pretty sure he has one. (Flashers work ok) Windshield wiper motor is working as it should, but the switch is bad on it as well. (We got the wiring correct thanks to Kansas914's parts car!) Still lots of little things to do, but I am SO tickled at how well the car runs. She sounds GREAT at all speeds!
I need to hunt for some of the parts for the targa top, but who wants to drive with the top on anyway, right? Only.... it started to rain on Ron taking her home! No wipers, and no top... oh, no!
A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for making today such a special day...
~Mary
P.S. Not a great video yet, I was so tired after such a long day. A short Coolpix video on my flickr page, nothing great. http://www.flickr.com/maryshortridge
scotty b
flag.gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 7 2010, 07:33 PM) *

Today is a special day... Buttercup came home!
Dwayne and I took her for a spin... to the gas station! She runs GREAT! Dwayne ran her up and down the fairgrounds parking lot, then I drove her around and started giving rides! No turn signals, so that is kind of interesting, but we think it is a switch in the steering column and Dwayne is pretty sure he has one. (Flashers work ok) Windshield wiper motor is working as it should, but the switch is bad on it as well. (We got the wiring correct thanks to Kansas914's parts car!) Still lots of little things to do, but I am SO tickled at how well the car runs. She sounds GREAT at all speeds!
I need to hunt for some of the parts for the targa top, but who wants to drive with the top on anyway, right? Only.... it started to rain on Ron taking her home! No wipers, and no top... oh, no!
A BIG THANK YOU to all of you for making today such a special day...
~Mary
P.S. Not a great video yet, I was so tired after such a long day. A short Coolpix video on my flickr page, nothing great. www.flickr.com/maryshortridge

aktion035.gif driving-girl.gif w00t.gif great news!

I'm pretty sure those 2 switches are the same as the same year beetle... making it about a $30 part(shipped) if Dwayne doesn't have one
EdwardBlume
We're all so proud of you Mary... enjoy! driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
WTF.gif I thought you said Buttercup was home? Damn Ron, he must have parked her in the wrong driveway cuz I just went outside and looked beside Reeses Cup and I didn't see her! confused24.gif

Awesome Mary, you did a beautiful thing! aktion035.gif
markb
Congrats! beer.gif
Mary Shortridge
Boy, did Buttercup give me an adventure today! I took her across town to meet up with my brother's friend who was passing thru. After our visit, she wouldn't start because her battery was dead. We tried to start her by pushing her and popping the clutch, but no joy. So a friend came and jumped me, and I was sure we'd be fine. Nope, she died at one of the busiest intersections in town, then wouldn't start! Thankfully, she is easy to push! So I got her into a parking lot, and Don came and jumped me again! That time, he insisted on following me home. So, the battery charger is on her, and we'll try again tomorrow. I know we have some electrical issues, and I'll look into having an amp meter put on temporarily so I can monitor her draw? She was running kind of crummy, but part of that was me being nervous she would die, I am sure.
Anyway, we're both still smiling and having fun!
EdwardBlume
Ooops. Sorry for the extra fun. I hope its not too cold. These cars will run electronics off the battery if the alternator is done. Alternators wear, but can get messed up by reversing + and - (ask me how I know)...

Have someone check the alternator...
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 8 2010, 06:37 PM) *

Ooops. Sorry for the extra fun. I hope its not too cold. These cars will run electronics off the battery if the alternator is done. Alternators wear, but can get messed up by reversing + and - (ask me how I know)...

This forum is AWESOME! It is almost like having 914 experts/brothers here in town! I'll have it checked tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. It was pretty chilly by the time I got home. No top yet....! Front hardware that the latch is supposed to fasten to is MIA. biggrin.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 8 2010, 04:40 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 8 2010, 06:37 PM) *

This forum is AWESOME! It is almost like having 914 experts/brothers here in town! I'll have it checked tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. It was pretty chilly by the time I got home. No top yet....! Front hardware that the latch is supposed to fasten to is MIA. biggrin.gif
Mary I just got the footage from AJ as soon as a can I will put something together aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
If the battery is going dead the spark plugs will eventually not spark. This is likely why she was running crummy. Check the voltage regulator and it's connections on the relay board. You could have a bad relay or relay board.
ejm
Cars with electronic fuel injection in particular will run crappy if you're not charging and the battery is getting low. Sounds like what happen to you. First charging system check is turn the key to ON, do not start the engine Is the alternator light on? If not there is a problem in the warning light circuit that will keep the car from charging.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 8 2010, 07:45 PM) *

If the battery is going dead the spark plugs will eventually not spark. This is likely whay she was running crummy. Check the voltage regulator and it's connections on the relay board. You could have a bad relay or relay board.

I know the relay board came from my stash as the one in there was DOA. I can't remember if the relay board was from my parts car or my working driver (now at paint shop). The regulator "looked" like new but that can be deceptive.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 8 2010, 07:47 PM) *

Cars with electronic fuel injection in particular will run crappy if you're not charging and the battery is getting low. Sounds like what happen to you. First charging system check is turn the key to ON, do not start the engine Is the alternator light on? If not there is a problem in the warning light circuit that will keep the car from charging.

agree.gif Should of thought of that.. dry.gif
Mary Shortridge
Nice to have an explanation for why she was running crummy. She has run fabulously ever since Dwayne fixed the timing. And now a way to check the system. Thanks for the info!
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 7 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Mary, Mary Mary....you have so much to learn.....you don't need a top in the rain, just drive faster! driving-girl.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 7 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Mary, Mary Mary....you have so much to learn.....you don't need a top in the rain, just drive faster! driving-girl.gif

And wipers????
ejm
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 9 2010, 02:42 AM) *

And wipers????

Rain-X biggrin.gif
jt914-6
QUOTE(ejm @ Mar 9 2010, 05:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 9 2010, 02:42 AM) *

And wipers????

Rain-X biggrin.gif

agree.gif & drive faster W/windows up...... driving-girl.gif
Mary Shortridge
I went to Sears and bought a set of metric sockets and wrenches for Buttercup. The young man helping me wanted to know what kind of car.... so I whipped out my pictures! He started asking questions, and he was totally blown away when I explained 914World. He kept shaking his head, like it was "unbelievable". "Yes, I know."
Gint
Mary you're fantastic! Thanks! I need to write you a private note sometime before I leave for Route66.
bandjoey
[size=4]Mary Mary Mary, I got a box in the mail today. [/size4]. piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif When you come south, I'll take you out for some of the best BBQ ribs in Texas. chowtime.gif More Thanks than I can express. Bill
ClayPerrine
I got one too.......

MMMMMMMM...... Cow! chowtime.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mary,

Thank you for the gift. But it was unnecessary. You owe us nothing.... it was our honor and privilege to be allowed to help you out. Thank you for a wonderful weekend in snowy, cold Kansas. I actually hate snow and hate being cold, but I would do that again in a heartbeat. It was worth it.

Again, Thank You, but please.. no more gifts.... I now feel guilty.

bandjoey
I'm mailing a package of Oreo's out in the morning. smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
So Mary... when are you coming out to Pleasanton to cook these up?

Thank you!

The Ways Family
Dr Evil
STEAK! chowtime.gif

Mary, you spoil us. smile.gif
ejm
agree.gif Thank you!!
orange914
been a cool story to watch the this car come together. half of a car is it's heritage and history. your brother would be proud of you and all the others who helped beerchug.gif beautiful car signal914.jpg (there is no yellow 914 icon... maybe the world can add one and title it "buttercup")

tat2dphreak
thank you again Mary for the beef. I still can't believe you did that! it was a very generous Gift, and completely un-necessary, meeting your family and being part of Buttercups recovery will always be a cherished memory smile.gif I'm so glad I was there.

plus I love Steak... smile.gif
Betty
Ask for a yellow 914 icon and ye shall receive one!

Click to view attachment
Mary Shortridge
Attached are some photos from a busy day with Buttercup. Doesn't look like much, but I feel like I wrestled an alligator! The targa top is FINALLY on, hopefully the latches are correct. Lots of crazy obstacles, like the clips on the front being hidden by upholstery! A razor blade took care of that! It is still a wrestling match getting the top latched; any helpful suggestions? I also got the carpet stuck down, and the narrow door sills on. The wide ones will need holes drilled, because we replaced that metal. I think I'll get them all powder coated black for durability.
Ron had a lousy day at work, so I took him out for a burger when he FINALLY got home.... note the empty parking lot, just the way we like! No door dings for Buttercup! We had a fellow at the stop light on Main Street want to know all about her... Ron thought that was fun! Stopped by Luke & Rena's on the way home, to show her off! We may have to install handles.... so Ron can hold on when I turn the corners! Having a blast, thanks to 914world!
Mary Shortridge
Guess I should have squished the photos some more. Here is Buttercup at Herb's Hamburgers! Our first "date" in Buttercup!
Dr Evil
Good therapy for Ron, Mary smile.gif I hope he is feeling better.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 17 2010, 08:37 PM) *

Good therapy for Ron, Mary smile.gif I hope he is feeling better.

He is feeling much better! And maybe he won't take so long to get home next time, when I offer to take him out driving. Maybe I'll even let him drive! biggrin.gif
ejm
That is one sharp looking car! smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
I'm having 914 envy... a bad case of 914 envy... where'd you get the carpet?
Tom
This car is so beautiful, only surpassed by the story behind it. I am proud to know there are great people who made this possible on this club! Only wish is I had been a part of helping.
Tom
tat2dphreak
Guess I should have squished the photos some more. Here is Buttercup at Herb's Hamburgers! Our first "date" in Buttercup!

wow! she looks awesome!
rick 918-S
Thank you for the wonderful gift. I planned on stopping as we crossed the country. We just didn't have the extra day to stop. The car looks great! Your figuring things out.

What did you need to do to get the charging system working?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Mar 17 2010, 07:32 PM) *

Here is Buttercup at Herb's Hamburgers! Our first "date" in Buttercup!

The first word that comes to mind is - WOW! drooley.gif

Great picture - and it isn't the first day of Spring yet - you beat your goal!

Cheers!
gary gartner
QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 17 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Rob,
the carpet set came from James & Heidi and 914 A & P.

Gary driving.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Mar 18 2010, 04:58 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Mar 17 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Rob,
the carpet set came from James & Heidi and 914 A & P.

Gary driving.gif

Thanks, looks like I need to order one soon..
Cevan
Click to view attachment

That's what they're supposed to look like. Nice!
markb
Wonderful! I wish I could have made it out for the build, you all did a great job putting it together. smilie_pokal.gif

I do have one bad piece of news, tho, the rear targa latches are on the wrong sides.
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(markb @ Mar 18 2010, 08:11 PM) *

Wonderful! I wish I could have made it out for the build, you all did a great job putting it together. smilie_pokal.gif

I do have one bad piece of news, tho, the rear targa latches are on the wrong sides.

THANKS!
I'll get the latches switched. This forum is so awesome; help is just a keyboard away! I wish you all were closer, but I'll keep plugging away on these little details to be fixed, and look forward to the day when Buttercup gets to gather with other 914s!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.