Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
jsayre914
I just watched the video with my two kids, we all loved it beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif

awesome, thank you everybody for doing such an awesome job!!

My girls asked if we could keep the video forever biggrin.gif I guess they really liked it wub.gif
Ferg
Got the video, you rock!
Sleepin
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 6 2010, 12:08 PM) *

That car just keeps getting better looking every time I see a picture - probably becuase you are driving it - a lesson we could all benefit from....

agree.gif

agree.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 15 2010, 05:30 PM) *

I just watched the video with my two kids, we all loved it beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif

awesome, thank you everybody for doing such an awesome job!!

My girls asked if we could keep the video forever biggrin.gif I guess they really liked it wub.gif

That is SO SWEET! I hope I get to introduce all of you to Buttercup at Dragon's Tail, or sometime soon. She is a VERY special little yellow car, thanks to 914World!
Mary Shortridge
I am still mailing out DVDS...............the list of people on World that gave parts and support is a MILE LONG. So if you haven't received one, it may already be on it's way, or it may be sitting on my desk because I ran out of boxes and need to go get some more.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you want one. I would be happy to send one to anyone who wants a copy. Just PM me your snail mail address.
THANKS!
Dr Evil
Got the package smile.gif I will look forward to viewing it after I move next week wink.gif
914Sixer
I got mine Saturday. Thanks, again. Glad I could help with the donation of parts.
EdwardBlume
Thanks Mary! Cheryl, the kids, and I got together and watched it over the weekend. It was really fun to watch. We're really proud of you and your family for seeing things through and resurrecting Lee's car. Thanks again!
rick 918-S
Thanks for the Video Mary! I just finally had some time to watch it!
number6
Mary, thank you for the DVD!

As for my interior, I'm 95% leaning towards houndstooth smile.gif

-duc
tat2dphreak
I watched it yesterday, it brought back many great memories!
Mary Shortridge
Buttercup is a PRINCESS!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of her!
I drove to Dodge City today, 60 miles each way. Absolutely NO problems, so we are ready for our 400 mile trip to Nebraska tomorrow. We are going to stop in Franklin, NE so that Lee's friends Glenn and Arlyn can take her for a victory lap. (They were at the build) I can't WAIT to take my dad for a ride, and show her off to all of his/Lee's friends in Aurora. Then on to Lincoln for a family portrait before Elissa moves to Louisville in a few weeks.
Just another big THANK YOU to all of you! I'll keep you posted as to how tomorrow goes. I have the front trunk FULL of tools and backup parts (an insurance policy against anything going wrong), and I have a AAA card, and friends on speed dial!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 28 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Buttercup is a PRINCESS!!!! I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO proud of her!
I drove to Dodge City today, 60 miles each way. Absolutely NO problems, so we are ready for our 400 mile trip to Nebraska tomorrow. We are going to stop in Franklin, NE so that Lee's friends Glenn and Arlyn can take her for a victory lap. (They were at the build) I can't WAIT to take my dad for a ride, and show her off to all of his/Lee's friends in Aurora. Then on to Lincoln for a family portrait before Elissa moves to Louisville in a few weeks.
Just another big THANK YOU to all of you! I'll keep you posted as to how tomorrow goes. I have the front trunk FULL of tools and backup parts (an insurance policy against anything going wrong), and I have a AAA card, and friends on speed dial!

driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif driving.gif
914Sixer
Go for it !!!!!
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 28 2010, 06:39 PM) *

Absolutely NO problems, so we are ready for our 400 mile trip to Nebraska tomorrow.

Safe travels - enjoy the drive in that special little car!

Cheers.
rick 918-S
Drive it like you stole it! driving-girl.gif
EdwardBlume
Enjoy! Roadtrips are fun! aktion035.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif that is awesome news Mary! I'm so glad you are having this much fun with the car! that's what it's all about!
Mary Shortridge
Buttercup and I made it in FINE shape!!! Approximately 325 miles, and no problems at all! We stopped along the way at Oakley for a photo op, then in Franklin, NE (where Lee lived) for Lee's friend Glenn to drive her. We drove her to the cemetery, too, but I know that Lee was smiling down on me the entire trip. Then on to Shelton, NE for Lee's friend Arlyn's turn to drive. Then I got into Aurora in time to drive dad around the town square and show her off to several of Dad's friends. A wonderful, joyful day. I am so very grateful to all of you!!!
rick 918-S
Hi Mary, I got the photo on my cell phone today. Great day! driving-girl.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 29 2010, 07:56 PM) *

Buttercup and I made it in FINE shape!!! Approximately 325 miles, and no problems at all! We stopped along the way at Oakley for a photo op, then in Franklin, NE (where Lee lived) for Lee's friend Glenn to drive her. We drove her to the cemetery, too, but I know that Lee was smiling down on me the entire trip. Then on to Shelton, NE for Lee's friend Arlyn's turn to drive. Then I got into Aurora in time to drive dad around the town square and show her off to several of Dad's friends. A wonderful, joyful day. I am so very grateful to all of you!!!

Looks like a Car of the Month to me!!! aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif smile.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jun 29 2010, 09:15 PM) *

Looks like a Car of the Month to me!!! aktion035.gif

Looks like car of the century to me - knowing what I know about this car, all the people that helped put it together and all the people that enjoy this car. This is truly a 914World car and is evidence of the strength, knowledge, passion and generosity of this group.

Buttercup is an inspiration - it shows what can be done with a "basket case" but moreover - you show what should be done with the car when it is complete.
  1. You drive your car
  2. You share you car with others
  3. You share your story with others

Thank YOU for having the determination to finish the car - not everyone would have done it and I know I am a better person for having met you, your family and your brother's car. Keep driving it and keep sending us those great pictures of your adventures!!

Cheers!
tat2dphreak
Thank YOU for having the determination to finish the car - not everyone would have done it and I know I am a better person for having met you, your family and your brother's car. Keep driving it and keep sending us those great pictures of your adventures!!

agree.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 6 2010, 12:21 PM) *

Buttercup got to give rides today to a friend's grandkids----3 five year olds! Which one gets to ride first? Ellee! Then Jordan, then Hunter. Such fun!

From the kids' mom:
Hey there Mary! Just wanted to let you know when Matt asked the kids what the funnest thing they did in GC was it was immediate reply WE SAW BUTTERCUP AND WE RODE IN IT AND THE ENGINE IS IN THE TRUNK AND WE SIGNED HER AUTOGRAPH BOOK! They have told many friends about their experience. Thank you very much for spending time with my kids and letting them ride in your awesome car. They will talk about it for some time I'm sure.

More sunshine, thanks to Buttercup!!!!!!!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 3 2010, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jun 6 2010, 12:21 PM) *

Buttercup got to give rides today to a friend's grandkids----3 five year olds! Which one gets to ride first? Ellee! Then Jordan, then Hunter. Such fun!

From the kids' mom:
Hey there Mary! Just wanted to let you know when Matt asked the kids what the funnest thing they did in GC was it was immediate reply WE SAW BUTTERCUP AND WE RODE IN IT AND THE ENGINE IS IN THE TRUNK AND WE SIGNED HER AUTOGRAPH BOOK! They have told many friends about their experience. Thank you very much for spending time with my kids and letting them ride in your awesome car. They will talk about it for some time I'm sure.

More sunshine, thanks to Buttercup!!!!!!!

smilie_pokal.gif
Mary Shortridge
The Jones Brothers- Arlyn, Alan, and Glenn- came by to see Buttercup while we are in Lincoln. They have been friends of Lee's for almost 30 years...
kerensky
This is such a great story. 8) Looking forward to signing the 'guest book' one of these days.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jul 13 2010, 09:15 AM) *

This is such a great story.

Yes, yes it is.... I'm out here in CA and I can't wait to see it.... laugh.gif
Mary Shortridge
I promise Buttercup will come west in 2011. And I want you all to sign her book!
VoPo914
I saw Buttercup cruising around the streets of Lincoln the other day-Beautiful 914!!
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Jul 16 2010, 04:51 PM) *

I saw Buttercup cruising around the streets of Lincoln the other day-Beautiful 914!!

You have a 914??????????? In Lincoln?????????????????
I am going to pick her up next Thursday. I'd love to meet another 'teener driver!
How'd you know it was Buttercup????
VoPo914
There are only few 914s in Lincoln. I've been following the build-up of Buttercup
from the start and when I noticed another 914 on Cornhusker Highway and saw the posts about the visit to Lincoln, I knew it had to be Buttercup! smile.gif

Blaine
Kansas 914
QUOTE(VoPo914 @ Jul 17 2010, 07:40 AM) *

There are only few 914s in Lincoln. I've been following the build-up of Buttercup
from the start and when I noticed another 914 on Cornhusker Highway and saw the posts about the visit to Lincoln, I knew it had to be Buttercup! smile.gif

Blaine

If anyone ever wondered about the power of this forum - this is proof. Not just the build of Buttercup (that is a given) but that she now has a new friend in Lincoln, Nebraska. It may not seem like a big deal to some of you - but 914's are a pretty rare sight in the Plain States - I have only seen one driving in Wichta in the 10 years I have lived here, and he is a friend in our German car club.

PS> Blaine - Mary might want to ask you about a good shop that works on 914's in Lincoln - just in case she needs it...
VoPo914
Yes, 914s are a rare site on the plains. I know a great shop that loves 914s, they have been working on VWs since the sixties.
bandjoey
Are you going to cover the rollbar or leave it yellow. Yours is the first one I've seen painted, and it looks pretty good!
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 20 2010, 10:00 PM) *

Are you going to cover the rollbar or leave it yellow. Yours is the first one I've seen painted, and it looks pretty good!

I didn't know that! I haven't seen many others.... but for now it'll stay yellow. I'm going to see Mike today. I'll look closer at his, if he'll take the top off! biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 21 2010, 06:51 AM) *

I didn't know that! I haven't seen many others.... but for now it'll stay yellow. I'm going to see Mike today. I'll look closer at his, if he'll take the top off! biggrin.gif

Well - yes I will take the top of the red car - but I can already tell you - mine is painted red and not vinyl covered like most (or as it should be) - but then the top is painted body color too.... (Sorry for the washed out orange color by the flash - it is supposed to be Red)

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
The vinyl trim was tougher than I thought to install, but not impossible... if you decide to add it, I can give you some tips...
hot_shoe914
just icon_bump.gif ing this to the top for a new member who hasn't heard about it.

Shoe
zymurgist
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 21 2010, 07:51 AM) *

Keep it yellow! Buttercup looks gorgeous!

Especially with the negative PORSCHE stripe. thumb3d.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 15 2010, 01:29 PM) *

I promise Buttercup will come west in 2011. And I want you all to sign her book!

let me know if u need any more t-shirts aktion035.gif
Mary Shortridge
Poor Buttercup is having "issues". I got her 80 miles from the Lincoln shop, to dad's house. We were out for a joyride, and she went nuts: tach and fuel gauge went spastic, engine ran rough, brake light quit flashing (it has been flashing for a long time now...) but the alternator light started flashing. Got her back to dad's and did some research and troubleshooting, and we were ELATED when dad and I fixed her! Temporarily, evidently. Anyway, long story but I have great help just phone calls away, and my aircraft mechanic has agreed to help. But today, after she has been running GREAT, she died on the highway. Turns out it is the fuel pump (And also blew a fuse again on #9's black wire). Now to find out why it the fuel pump isn't getting power. But the funny part of the story.... my aircraft mechanic Gary came to my rescue on his Goldwing, and towed me home, about a mile! Sorry, no photo of the actual towing going on, but I did get a photo before he got the strap unhooked. Knew you all would get a kick out of this! (sorry, cell phone photo not so great quality)
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Jul 29 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Gary came to my rescue on his Goldwing, and towed me home, about a mile! Sorry, no photo of the actual towing going on, but I did get a photo before he got the strap unhooked. Knew you all would get a kick out of this! (sorry, cell phone photo not so great quality)

Mary,

You may have yet another 914World first............
Mary Shortridge
Buttercup is back to running GREAT! Thanks to my aircraft mechanics Mitchell, Ed and Gary. They found the fried wires, and then tweaked some other stuff, and finished my list of stuff I had wanted done, like a 12V accessory plug. And.... Mitchell waxed her over his lunch hour, before he called me to come get her!!! No bird crap on her trunk from these guys! A big THANKS to all the advice via the phone and email, and KS914 loaning me his easy-to-read wiring diagrams. You can see by the photo of the KS Twisty, we are practicing for the Dragon! biggrin.gif
Mary Shortridge
Ed and Mitchell. (Gary had to go out of town and missed the photo op!)
Mary Shortridge
Spliced wires....
The wiring harness slipped off the "shelf" behind the firewall, and ended up down by the pulley on the engine. Stripped insulation... hence melted wires. YIKES! All fixed up, won't happen again!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 25 2010, 07:04 PM) *

Buttercup is back to running GREAT! Thanks to my aircraft mechanics Mitchell, Ed and Gary. They found the fried wires, and then tweaked some other stuff, and finished my list of stuff I had wanted done, like a 12V accessory plug. And.... Mitchell waxed her over his lunch hour, before he called me to come get her!!! No bird crap on her trunk from these guys! A big THANKS to all the advice via the phone and email, and KS914 loaning me his easy-to-read wiring diagrams. You can see by the photo of the KS Twisty, we are practicing for the Dragon! biggrin.gif

The Dragon is looking forward to meeting you and Buttercup, now if we could get that guy from just outside of Wichita to show up. What was his name again? confused24.gif poke.gif
bandjoey
OT: Mary, do you fly the Viking in the hanger? Sold my Arrow 111 a few years back and now fly with a friend with a Super Viking here in Fort Worth. He's on a lot of Viking boards, if you fly her and are interested I'll pass his info onto you. Bill
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Aug 25 2010, 10:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Aug 25 2010, 07:04 PM) *

The Dragon is looking forward to meeting you and Buttercup, now if we could get that guy from just outside of Wichita to show up. What was his name again? confused24.gif poke.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.