Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Lee Cyr 914 Memorial Build Off Classic! BUTTERCUP IS RUNNING
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
tat2dphreak
http://picasaweb.google.com/wafry1975/20100222ButtercupBuild

didn't get a lot of pics, but here they are.
hot_shoe914
Once again I had to back up and pick up parts that flew off my car. Nothing major this time, just an eyebrow from the headlight & I was able to find it. I have about 290 miles left before I make it home. Car is running great & roads are clear.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 06:52 PM) *

"nce again I had to back up and pick up parts that flew off my car. Nothing mahor this time, just an eyebrow fron the headlight & I was able to find it. I have about 290 miles left before I make it home. Car is running great & roads are clear.

If you would slow down to something slighty less than the speed of sound it might reduce the instances of parts loss.... driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 22 2010, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 06:52 PM) *

"nce again I had to back up and pick up parts that flew off my car. Nothing mahor this time, just an eyebrow fron the headlight & I was able to find it. I have about 290 miles left before I make it home. Car is running great & roads are clear.

If you would slow down to something slighty less than the speed of sound it might reduce the instances of parts loss.... driving.gif

Don is a real Hotshoe! I just talked to him. The car is running fine and he is making tracks! driving.gif Watch out for the other guys!
hot_shoe914
john grier
piratenanner.gif
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 05:22 PM) *

Come on Don everyone is waiting on you you to make it home safe. driving.gif
You drove a teener at this time of year to who knows where and back. screwy.gif
You need a beer3.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(john grier @ Feb 22 2010, 08:35 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

You need a beer3.gif

I'm working on it John. Stopped to take a couple of naps to ensure that I made it safely. The beer3.gif I did with the Evil one til 5:30 this morning kind of screwed up my energy reserve. I will make it though, only 190 miles of driving.gif left to go.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(john grier @ Feb 22 2010, 08:35 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

You need a beer3.gif

I'm working on it John. Stopped to take a couple of naps to ensure that I made it safely. The beer3.gif I did with the Evil one til 5:30 this morning kind of screwed up my energy reserve. I will make it though, only 190 miles of driving.gif left to go.

Keep us posted. Were watching!
hot_shoe914
Okay folks, Reeses Cup and I are chewing on the last 100 of the 814 miles needed to get us home. I have found my 17th wind and feel great! It is all down hill now. Will post again when I get home.

Shoe
EdwardBlume
Shoe... you are one crazy dude!! aktion035.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 11:19 PM) *

None of it would have been possible Rob were it not for this most excellent running motor I bought from you!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 09:26 PM) *

None of it would have been possible Rob were it not for this most excellent running motor I bought from you!

You're not home yet confused24.gif
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 11:30 PM) *

Not yet, got about 30 more miles to go. Almost there!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:40 PM) *

THE SHOE IS HOME!!! 1630.4 miles round trip with no tickets or breakdowns. TEENERS ROCK!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 23 2010, 12:08 AM) *

THE SHOE IS HOME!!! 1630.4 miles round trip with no tickets or breakdowns. TEENERS ROCK!

I can go to bed now! WTG Buddy you Rock! aktion035.gif
Dr Evil
How messed up is that!? Shoe left the same time as I did for the airport, and he beat me home!.......I just got home at 2am EST dry.gif What a travel day.... More later.
ejm
Dr Evil and I got to the airport and found our flight was cancelled. I got in just past midnight which still made for the shortest day since Thursday. smile.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 22 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Awesome job guys! Hip hip hooray from the peanut gallery!

cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ejm @ Feb 23 2010, 03:59 AM) *

Dr Evil and I got to the airport and found our flight was cancelled. I got in just past midnight which still made for the shortest day since Thursday. smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the travel hurdles.. but thanks so much anyway! beer.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 10:08 PM) *

In case anyone is wondering... yes, Shoe is nuts!! but thanks again !!

beer.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 23 2010, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 22 2010, 10:08 PM) *

In case anyone is wondering... yes, Shoe is nuts!! but thanks again !!

beer.gif

IPB Image

"That boy ain't right."
Kansas 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 23 2010, 08:32 AM) *

IPB Image

"That boy ain't right."

agree.gif

But I doubt you could ever meet a more generous person.
tat2dphreak
"That boy ain't right."

but at least HE isn't the one who ate all the fritos... Mr. Frito Bandito.

wink.gif
Mary Shortridge
I know I sound like a broken record, but......
words cannot express how grateful our family is to have the support and help of 914world. It is an AMAZING story that Buttercup and I will tell over and over again. This car is going to catch attention anywhere she goes.... she is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!
The guys that came out were AWESOME! Absolutely the nicest guys you could ever want to meet....and Shoe is NOT crazy. He is a sweetheart! He was stealing stuff off Christine for Buttercup! He's lucky Christine didn't get mad and not make the trip home. Donald would have taken the chrome bumpers off Christine if I had let him!
Every one of these guys are family. I have adopted them!
And to all of you who sent parts, and words of support, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. This is absolutely the brightest moment I have had in over a year.
The Schwieterman family and the people of Garden City were so amazed by this project. And over and over again I have heard how impressed they were with how everyone worked so well together. I still have people stopping by to check on Buttercup. (while I am down cleaning Luke's shop.)
And an update: Dewayne is coming over this weekend to fix the leak in the engine. It is supposed to be a nice day, and we are hoping to go driving!
I'll post all the photos the family too in the next couple of days on flickr.
Our love to you all.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 23 2010, 01:23 AM) *

How messed up is that!? Shoe left the same time as I did for the airport, and he beat me home!.......I just got home at 2am EST dry.gif What a travel day.... More later.

Look at all that airport bar drinking time you got doc! beer3.gif
tat2dphreak
And an update: Dewayne is coming over this weekend to fix the leak in the engine. It is supposed to be a nice day, and we are hoping to go driving!

have him call me, I thought of something yesterday that I didn't think to check. I will have him check it smile.gif
hot_shoe914
I would once again like to personally extend my gratitude and appreciation to Mary, Ronald, Alyssa and the entire group of attendees. A very special thanks to Luke for allowing us to work in one of the most beautiful shops I have ever seen. I doubt seriously if you could find another shop owner pray.gif with that big of a heart! Mary and her family catered to our every need and definitely destroyed any weight loss plans chowtime.gif we may have had in place. There are no words to describe her generosity and love for her fellow teener owners. She is truly one amazing woman and I am honored to call her friend. I am also very fortunate to have met and made friends with other teener lovers. Mike Moorman is truly a special fellow as is Ed, Clay, Bill, Wayne and well, then there is Dr. Evil. What could one possibly say about the Evil One that most of you don't already know. He is definitely a genuine source of entertainment lol-2.gif and really great guy. Hell, he is so generous he gave everyone free sinus cleanings. icon8.gif

The people I met at this event are all truly remarkable people and I am proud to call them all friend. Mary set out to honor her brother and in the process brought together a group of people that extended their kindness and generosity to not only Mary and her family, but the entire 914World family. I for one feel blessed to know all these people and look forward to meeting the rest of the 914 family over the next few years.

914World, YOU ROCK!!! aktion035.gif

Mary you are an amazing person smilie_pokal.gif

Mike and Rick and Rob and all the others responsible for organizing this event all deserve the best of everything.

Shoe
tat2dphreak
couldn't have said it better myself Don...

the warmth and generosity in that room Saturday is more than most people feel in a lifetime. and it wasn't just from the chili and heated floors biggrin.gif

we had a ton of fun, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Kansas 914
One of my favorite "freeze frames" - is that a trident coming out of the Evil one's head???

Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 23 2010, 01:48 PM) *

One of my favorite "freeze frames" - is that a trident coming out of the Evil one's head???

Click to view attachment

I found this one of the Doc and felt compelled to share it as well. blink.gif

Click to view attachment
scotty b
Simply awesome guys. I wish I could have made it to help, or just observe the shenannigans. beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
Ok, I think I am recovered enough to post smile.gif

It was amazing how well everyone worked together. We had no issues that could not be handled, less some missing parts and wiring issues. I will be typing up notes with diagrams for the offending circuit to aid in figuring it all out.

My motives for going out to Garden City were purely selfish. I had a great time, doing something that I love, with lots of excellent people smile.gif This will be an event I can always look back on fondly and feel all kinds of good about.

The several comparisons that Mary made between Lee and I made me feel very proud. We are all glad to have given something so that Lee's memory can live on. I have no doubt that Buttercup will be passed down for a few generations, and that is epic.

The whole Shortridge family was very kind to us and I enjoyed meeting and working with all of them smile.gif

This forum is strange in its abilities to connect people who would otherwise be geographical strangers.

I could ramble on for several pages about how wonderful all of this was, but others have captured that quite eloquently already and I agree smile.gif I am glad to have all of you as part of my family. Life is sweeter having met you all.
scotty b
Dude go smoke a cigar and take a couple shots. You need to man up after all that mushy dribble poke.gif poke.gif biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 23 2010, 08:20 PM) *

Dude go smoke a cigar and take a couple shots. You need to man up after all that mushy dribble poke.gif poke.gif biggrin.gif

tongue.gif
Mary Shortridge
Dad is 6'6" and had a bit of trouble getting his knees under the steering wheel. I'm not quite sure how KS914 does it! I thought you would enjoy the photo we took Monday. It is SUCH a hoot to walk in and see such a beautiful car. Dad really enjoyed meeting all of you, and watching how well you worked together. Thanks so much!
Dr Evil
Jim is fun to talk to. smile.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif great photo!

we loved meeting your dad and family!
Betty
Having participated only vicariously, it has been inspiring to watch. I must say Buttercup is one beautiful car!

Mary, the smile on your Dad's face in that picture is so awesome!

Also, thank you for the Matchbox car! Very unexpected and very much appreciated! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Maybe Dwayne can use the box of parts we did not? The "used but not garbage" box that I assembled.
zymurgist
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 23 2010, 07:45 PM) *

Simply awesome guys. I wish I could have made it to help, or just observe the shenannigans. beerchug.gif

agree.gif

Sounds like a weekend well spent.
Mary Shortridge
I had Buttercup's windshield installed yesterday. Today...I'll take a squeege so I can put the "914World" graphic on the back window! And the Tangerine Racing logo, too!
Gint
Get that thing out into the sun and snap a few pics Mary! smilie_pokal.gif
Mary Shortridge
QUOTE(Gint @ Feb 25 2010, 07:45 AM) *

Get that thing out into the sun and snap a few pics Mary! smilie_pokal.gif

I sure would if there was any sun here!!!
You'd still need sunglasses if she were outside, though!
Sunny outside photos soon, I promise!
Mary Shortridge
Photos are uploaded to flickr. Some dates are goofed up, some duplicates: I'll fix as time permits.
http://www.flickr.com/maryshortridge
Gint
Fixed your link Mary.
rick 918-S
Great photo set Mary!
EdwardBlume
Great picts. Its truly amazing what a group of guys can do in a weekend!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 25 2010, 11:42 PM) *

Great picts. Its truly amazing what a group of guys can do in a weekend!

We were very motivated... We had to keep working to keep from going comatose from eating all the available food. biggrin.gif

Mary,

It was a pleasure to be able to help you. I got to see old friends, and make new ones. Any weekend with good company, cool cars, and good food is great, but this was really special for me. The more I learned about your brother, the more I realize the 914 community lost one of it's own. He would have fit right in here.

And I wanted to thank the person responsible for my ride home too. That was the icing on the cake.

tat2dphreak
We were very motivated... We had to keep working to keep from going comatose from eating all the available food.

agree.gif plus we had to keep moving away from Dr. Evil's chili gas wink.gif

while I agree with Clay that we lost one of our own, before we even got to meet him, I also think we FOUND one of our won in Mary. so many people would have either sold Lee's car or scrapped it. but she took Lee's dream and made it her own, and built it up to something truly special. the fact that she allowed a bunch of strangers(some stranger than others) in, treated them like family, fed them like family and let us help make the car part of the family... well, that is more special than words can describe.

helping out was the right thing to do, that much is obvious. but it was one of the most fun, and rewarding experiences in my life. I got to meet people from all over the country, hang out, and share a passion for these rusty little NARPs. we got to live this event in one of the nicest "shops" I've ever seen. calling it a shop isn't even fair. it's as clean as a museum, yet as comfortable as a nice house.

if I hadn't been there I would truly feel left out. from the outside, the amount of work that was done in a few days seems impossible. but the team work and motivation was second to none.
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif you've discovered the 914 mystique.... driving.gif

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Feb 26 2010, 11:30 AM) *

We were very motivated... We had to keep working to keep from going comatose from eating all the available food.

agree.gif plus we had to keep moving away from Dr. Evil's chili gas wink.gif

while I agree with Clay that we lost one of our own, before we even got to meet him, I also think we FOUND one of our won in Mary. so many people would have either sold Lee's car or scrapped it. but she took Lee's dream and made it her own, and built it up to something truly special. the fact that she allowed a bunch of strangers(some stranger than others) in, treated them like family, fed them like family and let us help make the car part of the family... well, that is more special than words can describe.

helping out was the right thing to do, that much is obvious. but it was one of the most fun, and rewarding experiences in my life. I got to meet people from all over the country, hang out, and share a passion for these rusty little NARPs. we got to live this event in one of the nicest "shops" I've ever seen. calling it a shop isn't even fair. it's as clean as a museum, yet as comfortable as a nice house.

if I hadn't been there I would truly feel left out. from the outside, the amount of work that was done in a few days seems impossible. but the team work and motivation was second to none.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.