Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Dion
Well it's the day before 9-14-17 challenge.
Figure I'd update today as I'm nowhere near done.
Worked on removing rear brakes & trailing arms.
Dion
Pic
Dion
Rear console will be cut out and replaced.
Dion
Engine bay side is nice and clean (rust free?)
Reconditioned arms courtesy of Jayman.
Dion
After the work on Sat. had a visit from Dave (914Dave) on Sunday.
Hopefully the good karma from his car will transfer to my U-boat.
He needed a "more flat" floor than his garage had to set up camber/caster measurements.
Before he goes to a final setting at a "pro" shop.
His car is stunning.
jmitro
that's awesome; what size wheels/tires in the rear?
Dion
Hey Joseph, 225/50/15. 8 up front, 9 in the back.
Daves rims are repops from Group4 of the Campagnolo rims.
Just like the Lancia Stratos ran. They're very,very cool.
Dion
Right so Build off challenge is on the simmer. I actually feel less
pressure working on this car now.
Changed gear from body work to working on mechanical
bits. First up removing rear brake lines and "ABS" device.
Will send that bugger of to PMB for an overhaul along with the
front S calipers.
Dion
Brake line layout
Dion
This evening removed front control arms to replace all the bushings
and give it a good cleanup. The rust that poured from the torsion tubes, unreal.
Makes no sense to have fresh brakes and lines and not freshen the front end.
Taking those arms off was a bugger of a job. Took the whole assembly out
and used the "heavy" lift to keep all still while a nice sized hammer
helped tap out the arms from cross member. Felt good to make mechanical progress.
Dion
Assembly and control arms removed
porschetub
Yes correct you switch jobs to something else for a while and you come back to the other better focused....has always worked for me.
Cheers mate.
914dave
QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 25 2017, 11:04 PM) *

Yes correct you switch jobs to something else for a while and you come back to the other better focused....has always worked for me.
Cheers mate.

He's waiting on me to help with the inner drains rail patch. He's been patient. He's done a lot of the crap work. The going back together should go fast.
tygaboy
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 26 2017, 07:10 AM) *

Cheers mate.

He's waiting on me to help with the inner drains rail patch. He's been patient. He's done a lot of the crap work. The going back together should go fast.

Dave - It's great that you and Dion are there for each other. Having another set of eyes and hands is (nearly!) always a good thing. I most appreciate the way Martin, my build co-conspirator, helps talk me off the ledge when I start to get overwhelmed by whatever the latest challenge happens to be. Having someone there who isn't so emotionally attached to the car really helps me maintain perspective.

So... Good on you both. Now get back to work. I want to see the replacement rear suspension console go in! popcorn[1].gif
Dion
QUOTE(914dave @ Sep 26 2017, 06:10 AM) *

Cheers mate.

Well yeah, waiting for your expertise. You've been a busy lad.
Not that I don't have enough to do that I can get into trouble with. Heheheh
Dion
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 26 2017, 06:16 AM) *

Cheers mate.

Dave - It's great that you and Dion are there for each other. Having another set of eyes and hands is (nearly!) always a good thing. I most appreciate the way Martin, my build co-conspirator, helps talk me off the ledge when I start to get overwhelmed by whatever the latest challenge happens to be. Having someone there who isn't so emotionally attached to the car really helps me maintain perspective.

So... Good on you both. Now get back to work. I want to see the replacement rear suspension console go in! popcorn[1].gif

Chris man, Dave has been outstanding in helping me achieve my goals with this build.
He allows me to screw up and learn from my mishaps and then allows ME to correct them which I appreciate. Only way to learn.
And yes, I CANT WAIT TO GET THAT CONSOLE IN! Hahahahah.
I still owe you a coffee Chris. Need to get that done. :-)
914dave
QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 26 2017, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 26 2017, 06:16 AM) *

Cheers mate.

Chris man, Dave has been outstanding in helping me achieve my goals with this build.
He allows me to screw up and learn from my mishaps and then allows ME to correct them which I appreciate. Only way to learn.
And yes, I CANT WAIT TO GET THAT CONSOLE IN! Hahahahah.
I still owe you a coffee Chris. Need to get that done. :-)

Chris
I'm only concerned that he's going to cover all his fine work with stickers. poke.gif he has an unresolved issue. Hahahaha!!!
Dion
I prepped and painted the steering rack crossbar. Also cleaned up the rack & master cylinder area.
Just received back my reconditioned A-arms and bushings as well as new swaybar droplink from Elephant. Also picked up new CV/Axles and rear control arm bushings from Tangerine.
While probing a “tiny” area of perforation on the left front fender; a nice piece popped
right off. Pure bondo. Ok another area to get sorted and it will.
But first to get started on the rear console that Chris (Tygaboy) provided.
Always enjoyable removing spotwelds so that will be my life after work for the
next couple of nights.
Cheers all.
Dion
Front left fender bottom next to door opening. ar15.gif
tygaboy
Dion - Great to see you're making progress! It's been a while since you posted and I was getting a little worried. Glad to see it was all for naught.

ANd maybe we should have a little side bet on if you'll get your console in before I get the Tangerine raised pick ups installed! I'll take anything to help me get going on that.
And no complaining - I have to remove BOTH consoles! poke.gif

Keep on keepin' on! aktion035.gif
Dion
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 6 2017, 06:21 PM) *

Dion - Great to see you're making progress! It's been a while since you posted and I was getting a little worried. Glad to see it was all for naught.

ANd maybe we should have a little side bet on if you'll get your console in before I get the Tangerine raised pick ups installed! I'll take anything to help me get going on that.
And no complaining - I have to remove BOTH consoles! poke.gif

Keep on keepin' on! aktion035.gif

Chris I just checked your thread. OMG heheh
It’s staggering how much fabrication you’ve done.
It really is a Maserati/Porsche birdcage replica!
Heheheh
What Chris 914 will look like when complete see below
Dion
Ok so winter is setting in on Pennsylvania.
I don’t have my heat set up in garage yet therefore no
welding as of now.
So went ahead with some small projects I could do in the basement.
Placed the gauges in the gauge frame. I modified
a center console for a fuel gauge to have a home since the “6”
oil press/temp gauge is on the dash now. Obtained a really cool
warning lamp like the 917,935’s had. I still wanted a low fuel lamp.
So the yellow will glow when we are low! Should work out nice.
Dion
Pic2
raynekat
That warning light is cool, ultra rare, and likely worth many hundreds of dollars. Impossible to find these.
mb911
And a muffler coming this week to play with..
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 10 2017, 06:11 PM) *

And a muffler coming this week to play with..

Thanks Ben! Look forward.
Dion
It’s not as bad weather wise in PA as it is in New England but it’s cold enough to
keep me in the basement workshop.
I started taking the suspension console Chris (Tygaboy) supplied me with apart.
Porsche did a nice job spot welding this one together. Thanks Chris it is so much better
than what’s on the car now.
Dave came over last weekend and took some measurements for the buck and to make
a pattern for the kick up to the console.
First I removed the overlay reinforced steel pieces.
Dion
First piece removed
Dion
Steel overlays
Dion
Then the fun spotweld removal
Dion
Freed console
Dion
Interior look
Dion
Need to address small deterioration on this portion that was hidden under re-enforcement steel piece.
Dion
The collection... and yesterday’s view from my driveway!
Dion
Driveway
bbrock
Nice work! I know what a job getting those console pieces apart is. I'm in awe that you were able to get those metal reinforcement gussets off so cleanly. They still look useable. pray.gif Those are some nice pieces you got from Chris.
Dion
Appreciate the compliment Brent.
Yeah that was time consuming. Chris certainly came up aces on such a
clean piece. Very well pleased. When the thermometer decides to
pop above freezing I can begin to dismantle the four cylinder mounts and
begin removing the old console once Dave and I get the jig in place and
can connect the “long/kick up” piece.
tygaboy
Looking really good, Dion!
And I demand you not paint over my Sharpie writing. I took a lot of extra time to do that excellent parts identification documentation! lol-2.gif
Dion
So just finished up removing 4 cylinder engine mount on the
drivers side. What a true mess this side of longitudinal this is.
Thankfully for Chris’ part of console and the parts from
Restoration Design all can be remedied.
Tiring and tedious job removing mount.
I wasn’t able to save it. I hope to save the right mount
in case someone would need it. It is in far better shape.
Dion
Pic
Dion
Right engine mount
tygaboy
Wow... You've made great progress! Did you make any sort of jig to help align things as you put it all back together? There are a couple key measurements and a few posts that cover all that. I assume you're all over that sort of thing...
Keep up the great work! aktion035.gif
Dion
Hey Chris,
I haven’t freed up the existing left console yet.
The car is still with its door braces intact.
Dave has a jig/measurements plan before I tear that apart.
Thanks for the input and push to persevere!
Dion
Moved on to Right engine mount. Challenging to
not destroy it upon removal. A cutting torch I reckon would make
quick work of it but I’d prolly set my car on fire!
I’ll post a pic of mount if any one would need of it pm me and I can take a few more pics of it for you.
The top of the mount was tied into engine shelf/long as well as 4 spot welds.
Totally unlike the left. You can see in the pics how the right side was repaired
back in the early nineties when I had a pro shop do the hell hole and reposition
my suspension so the right wheel would not have EXTREME exaggerated camber!
That’s when I learned of the hell hole troubles.
Looks like they did their best at the time. No rust.
But not factory like :-/ So I’ll get to welding up the right side deficiencies hopefully
this weekend.
Dion
Pre removal. Starting to separate
Dion
Removed
Dion
Right mount (back)
Dion
Some cleanup
Dion
The brake line clip was riveted on??
Dion
Picked this up the other day. Cool period appropriate oil catch tank!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.