Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
TonyA
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 09:11 PM) *

I was loving it until you got to the clock on the dash.

He needs that clock now that he is a professional driver. He will only be able to drive for x # of hours blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 21 2020, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 06:11 PM) *

Heheheheh. Aww c’mon Mark! A little 70’s kitsch. Easily removed. 3M tape. If I’m honest not totally sold on it. biggrin.gif It’s a cool period piece though.

Didn’t you used to have some timers on the dash?
Dion
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 21 2020, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 06:11 PM) *

Heheheheh. Aww c’mon Mark! A little 70’s kitsch. Easily removed. 3M tape. If I’m honest not totally sold on it. biggrin.gif It’s a cool period piece though.

Didn’t you used to have some timers on the dash?

@mepstein , yeah Mark. I’m prolly going back to my Heuer clocks. I also have the Halda
speedpilot. I’m not sure on direction for those trinkets yet. I’m just messing about. The clock was placed just to get an idea for wiring purpose. Wanted to see what to run where.
Priority will be mechanical next. Need to get that 6 in there! beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(TonyA @ Dec 21 2020, 11:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 09:11 PM) *

He needs that clock now that he is a professional driver. He will only be able to drive for x # of hours blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

smile.gif

Way to go, Dion! Glad you're still rolling along beer.gif
Superhawk996
Coming along! Nice to see this one heading toward completion!
mb911
Looks great.. You gonna be driving this summer?
Dion
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 22 2020, 09:07 AM) *

Looks great.. You gonna be driving this summer?

@mb911 ,
If the stars align Ben, it’s the goal. I decided to wait on exterior paint/bodywork for later next year. I want to get it mechanically sorted.
Dion
Making further progress. Did a little mod to my dash face. Made the glove box more like a mail slot. Just having a bit of fun. Keeping it simple.
Dion
Placed the seats in. It’s looking like a car again!
Dion
Installed freshened targa latches and a not torn up targa bar pad, which unfortunately I’ll take out again ... very carefully... when it’s time to paint. By then I’ think I’ll have 914rubber new targa bar pad and I’ll install that one.
Dion
The eyes have it....
Dion
New brake hoses and clips.
Dion
Torqued all the suspension bolts up to spec and placed the lock washer on strut.
That’s all buttoned up.
Dion
Placed the oil catch tank in the trunk. Need to order all the proper hoses now for the oil tank system. I copied the version that was used in the “Lufthansa” GT.
Olympic 914
Looks good. will it be ready for Carlisle Swap this year?

Hope to see you there.

Dion
Tom, thanks mate! Carlisle’s a long shot, but I’ll give it my best.
bbrock
Finding a Dion update on the forum is always a big treat, but WOW! You have been busy. This is looking great! smilie_pokal.gif
rgolia
Looks great Dion....cant wait to follow that beauty down the road.
tygaboy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 4 2021, 06:45 AM) *

Finding a Dion update on the forum is always a big treat, but WOW! You have been busy. This is looking great! smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif agree.gif aktion035.gif
Your car is looking GREAT, Dion. Thanks for the update treat!
ThreeV8s
Incredible work, as always! Amazing level of talent and productivity.
JmuRiz
Very nice, it's getting close!
TonyA
Wow changing jobs was a good choice I see. Looking forward to some cruises with you.
Dion
@ThreeV8s , @tygaboy , @rgolia , @bbrock , @Jmuriz
Thank you fellas always appreciate your positive input. Take a lot of inspiration from you guys. So looking forward to driving back on asphalt instead of jack stands!
saigon71
Can't wait to see this car again live. Northeast gathering?

Great work Dion! beerchug.gif
Dion
Little things but important none the less.
Upon install of the rear trunk hinges I had forgotten the passenger side one had a stripped thread for the bolt. So had a helicoil kit at hand and fixed the issue. It was a M8 x1.25.
Dion
Got these guys installed. Again little but important.
Dion
The oil tank vent hoses came in. Installed the one for the catch can. Obviously the other will wait till engine install.
Dion
I borrowed a flaring kit from my daily driver mechanic and he supplied me with some appropriate metal tubing to make the hard fuel lines in the engine bay. These connect with the rear metal line that feed the Carbs on the six. One will be for the return line.
Dion
Installed with the rubber hoses. Awaiting shipment of the proper fuel hose clamps.
I’ll then move to the install of fuel tank, pump and all those fun connections.
Cheers
bbrock
Nice work! I really wanted to make my own fuel lines but the cost of the flaring tools didn't pencil out. It never occurred to me to try being NICE to someone for loaners. Looking good!
Superhawk996
Like the hard fuel line across the back -- did you make those too? Looks real clean!
Dion
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 12 2021, 04:48 AM) *

Like the hard fuel line across the back -- did you make those too? Looks real clean!

Hey Phil, thanks! I picked up the rear hard line from 914Rubber. It’s a neat piece. Looks the business. I’m sure the real ones are like unicorns.
Cheers
tygaboy
Dion - All that looks GREAT! Any target date to getting it running?
Root_Werks
I like how you removed the 4cyl mounts (or they were already removed). Nice and clean looking.
Dion
@Root_Werks thanks, appreciate that.
I took them off. A little fussy to do but done.
Root_Werks
Only done it once myself and will again with my current 914-6 conversion. NOT a light task, but worth it.
Dion
End of month update.
Mounted the Carter fuel pump in the space previously occupied by the FI cis pump.
What a drop in psi eh ? 75psi downgraded to 3-5psi for the carbs. I plan on making a little cage around this when done for safety. I never got around to it with the 2056 pump
but will now.
Dion
Then started the plumbing. Attached the pump hoses first, then mounted my filter
on the steering rack cross member. Wrapped some protective rubber around it. Doing my best to keep the kinks at bay. I do like Ray Davies but not this kind of Kinks biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 29 2021, 08:26 PM) *

I do like Ray Davies but not this kind of Kinks biggrin.gif

Ray says "Well done, Dion!" smile.gif

IPB Image
Dion
Proceeded to the tank drop. Its not a hard job, just fiddly. Easing one side then the other.
Lining up those rubber support blocks. I had laid moving blankets over both the fresh air box area and the front bulkhead to avoid scraping up the tank and those items. I also thought ahead to place the hoses on the tank first as well. I stole Brent’s idea of using the aircraft grade sealant for these fuel fittings as well as FI hose clamps. Since I don’t have a charcoal canister or it’s accompanying hoses down the long anymore, Taking SirAndy’s advice about the fuel vapor smell. I made a small canister from some Tupperware and used proper sized grommets for the vapor hose. Filled it with some activated charcoal and popped it beside the washer bottle. It then has the exiting hose running inside the overflow hose exiting out the bottom. (Forgot to snap pic) next
time.
That’s all for now. Hope to see some of you guys at the “Hershey” swap in Carlisle beerchug.gif
Dion
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 29 2021, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 29 2021, 08:26 PM) *

I do like Ray Davies but not this kind of Kinks biggrin.gif

Ray says "Well done, Dion!" smile.gif

IPB Image

Hehehehehe! beerchug.gif
bbrock
Props for double Ray Davies references aktion035.gif

Fantastic work there dude! I can't claim credit for the aviation sealant. That came from the Google weirdos. But tell me, is that not the messiest stuff to work with? I gave up on trying to keep the outside of the bottle clean.
TonyA
Looking good !
Dion
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 29 2021, 05:28 PM) *

Props for double Ray Davies references aktion035.gif

Fantastic work there dude! I can't claim credit for the aviation sealant. That came from the Google weirdos. But tell me, is that not the messiest stuff to work with? I gave up on trying to keep the outside of the bottle clean.

Heheheh so right you are Brent, I felt like it was a battle between cotton candy and molasses ! laugh.gif
Dion
QUOTE(TonyA @ Apr 29 2021, 06:00 PM) *

Looking good !

Thanks Tony.
Dion
So picked up a spare rim at the Carlisle event. Placed that in. Needs a modern tyre. This one not keeping air because it’s from the Nixon administration era. biggrin.gif
Constructed my fuel pump protection from an old VW catalytic converter shield. Attached that to the aluminum brackets that make up the supports for the spare tyre cover.
Dion
Here is my vapor canister. Filled with activated charcoal and vented out the bottom near steering rack.
Dion
Found out I had no brake pad adjustment gears in the rear GT calipers. A quick email to PMB and all was remedied.
A few pics ….
Dion
Finally, for June’s project….Pressure plate and clutch Delayed by not having a proper triple square tool for the flywheel bolts. The harbor fright one just rounded its edges.
With a proper tool I was able to torque them properly and complete the assembly.
Dion
Mounted my “Stig” steering wheel. Blomqvist that is!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.