Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Dion
In addition to adding the new metal, I needed to make another hole for the fresh air elbow and test fit the door jamb.
Dion
Trying to line everything up. Talked with @bbrock for a few ideas.
Dion
Door jamb positioned and clamped. Welded it in.
Some of the outer edge will need to be ground down as it sits too proud and pushes out the rear fender.
Dion
Seam sealed around air tube. Still need backing plate for latch to go on and placement f the sill & triangles. That’s up next.
As well as need to drill out the holes for the six oil tank.
Thanks for listening. biggrin.gif
TonyA
Are you now welding aluminum cans also ?
Dion
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jun 29 2020, 12:07 PM) *

Yes, need to recycle! beerchug.gif

I don’t know Tony, better see what’s lurking in those LE’s ! happy11.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jun 29 2020, 04:07 PM) *

laugh.gif

Nice work, Dion! That's a ton of progress. That door jamb piece would really worry me, but it looks like you have it under control. And Brent is a great guy to consult!
tygaboy
Wow, you have been quite the busy boy! Great progress.
Dion
@tygaboy Chris, truth be told.
As crazy as it sounds, ... I was furloughed by the hospital for April & May. So made very
good use of the time, in addition to a bathroom renovation. smile.gif
Thanks again.

Thanks for the kudos @BeatNavy
Dion
Some updates.
Welded on the new sill and triangle supports.
still need to make one for the very front of long and make another triangle for the passenger side. Right side has been without one for the past twenty plus years!
I’ll venture to say not needed but I’ll make one anyway. Just want to wait now till temps drop. It’s been 90 plus degrees all week here. Humidity is off the wall.
Anyway some pics:
Dion
Triangle supports
Dion
Moved on to opening up the oil tank bosses. Anyone who drilled these open with an engine in place or the fender still on.... well ... hats off to ya! That 4” hole was a mother!
Dion
Test fit the tank. All is well.
Dion
Welded in the door catch plate.
Dion
Door and jamb seem to be good. Rear fender needs some more TLC before I place it back on, so that’ll be up next.
Dion
Fin beer3.gif
BeatNavy
Holy cow, Dion. That's a lot of work, and a lot of new metal! And in areas where there is no room for error.

Nice job!! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Wow! That's amazing. You will have the buttoned up in no time. Great work. beerchug.gif
Dion
Had some time today and made up those sill triangles.
As I said my right sill only had one support all these years after being worked on back in the 90’s. I’ll need to primer them yet. One more item off the list.
Made a small template then crudely cut out a shape. Started forming it using a small brass hammer and my vice/anvil.
Dion
Then tacked on a base plate.
Dion
Positioned and then welded it on.
Dion
Right sill support. Now onto the Left rear fender. That won’t happen until after
The Northeast 914 gathering beerchug.gif aktion035.gif
Look forward to seeing some of you guys!
saigon71
Impressive work Dion! You are on a roll. Can't wait to see this thing back on the road.

driving.gif
Dion
Update time.
After a nice break at the 914 NorthEast Gathering was inspired to get back to this project.
Minor in the scheme of things but necessary.
Epoxy primed the left longitudinal and left rear of chassis. Followed that up with Eastwood’s chassis black paint.
Dion
Chassis black
Dion
Chassis black
Dion
Brent @bbrock I have to apologize. The small part of the sail panel I wanted to use didn’t
fully cooperate. mad.gif Was prepping the rear fender for the chassis black.
Scuffing up the epoxy primer and discovered more rust in that vicinity of the sail where
the handle and snorkel sit. Uggh! Hit it with grinder and it revealed more issues.
I went ahead and cut out the metal, I had nothing to weld to. It was so thin. Just blowing holes on the minimal settings. The foam backing did it in all those years.
So ordered a new sail panel from Restoration D.
While that waits at the border I can clean up my flooded basement and remove a tree!
headbang.gif Thanks tropical storm Isaias! Always something.
Dion
Bad sail
Dion
Isaias handy work. The end of the tree is on top of my shed. The John Deere is in there
so I need to rescue him. biggrin.gif
Dion
Not the biggest tree, just landed wrong! Be nice if it just fell in the woods!
Ok hopefully more 914 stuff soon. Stay safe and dry.
mepstein
Yea. Isaias sucked.
Cairo94507
Wow. Incredible you guys. Stay safe. beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 5 2020, 07:18 AM) *

Isaias handy work. The end of the tree is on top of my shed. The John Deere is in there

Hackberry? At least the bird house is okay. blink.gif

I had forgotten all about that sail panel piece. Jogging my memory, IIRC it was too trashed to use on my car but we thought the small area you needed might be okay. Good call on getting an RD panel. Made life a lot easier for me.

Glad you are safe!
TonyA
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 5 2020, 09:18 AM) *

I have two chain saws
Dion
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 5 2020, 05:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 5 2020, 07:18 AM) *

Hackberry? At least the bird house is okay. blink.gif

I had forgotten all about that sail panel piece. Jogging my memory, IIRC it was too trashed to use on my car but we thought the small area you needed might be okay. Good call on getting an RD panel. Made life a lot easier for me.

Glad you are safe!

That bird house has survived many a storm! lol-2.gif Boy Scouts made that one.
Hackberry? I don’t know. I liked it. Was only around 5 feet tall when we moved here 22 years ago. Right on the woods edge. Sad ending.
Yes Brent thought we’d get lucky but more little rust damage than I thought. The edge toward the door jamb is almost pure seamsealer, after skimming more metal away.
The “meatier” side of the sail looked ok. Unfortunately SO thin. It just kept disintegrating
with every trigger pull. Yes new panel. The right call now.
Cheers Brent, Michael, Mark!
Dion
@TonyA , well get down here! laugh.gif
Dion
Time for an update. So I received the Restoration Design sail panel. I kinda cheated and used only the section from it to do repairs on my fender. I wanted to keep the original
outline of the sail so it would match up to the chassis without a lot of fettling. I’m not a body shop guy so trying to make it easier on me. Concentrating on that task I didn’t
take a lot of pics, oh well.
Dion
Securing the fender/trunk area
Dion
Fender
Dion
Fender/Trunk seam
Dion
After scuffing the epoxy primer in the trunk, gave it a coat of Marathon Blue and clear coat. This is more the true colour than the overall body colour currently on my 914.
I intend to get the body sprayed in this hue. The body colour has way more blue in it than should be. The last paint job when the flares were done was in 2004.
Amazing the difference in colour. I do prefer the more silverish .Which is more proper
to Marathon.
Dion
Trunk
Dion
Trunk seam
saigon71
Fantastic work Dion!

I may contact you the next time I need to paint something. biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Sep 14 2020, 06:56 AM) *

Fantastic work Dion!

agree.gif Nice job Dion. Glad to see you're still rolling along. thumb3d.gif

That sail panel replacement is in my future. Hopefully the RD sail panel doesn't require too much fiddling for a good fit.
TonyA
Looks fantastic but I am sure even better in person. Ill bring the beer.
bbrock
That's a lot of great progress. Looking great! piratenanner.gif
Dion
Had some time recently to throw some colour on the firewall, engine bay and the cockpit floor.
Dion
Underside
Dion
Cockpit ...before
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.