Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Dion
Yes, thumb3d.gif getting the bare metal protected is a good feeling.
We had such hi temps and humidity I wasn’t sure if the primer would adhere proper.
So finally was able to do this. headbang.gif bought different colours of primer
but it will all be the same later. Now on to more difficult tasks: left rear fender &
The all important Left long/kick up and console.
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif beerchug.gif
Thanks guys
ThreeV8s
I just read through this entire thread and have no idea how I missed all this. I did not realize you were doing anything to this extent. You are way too modest about your skillset...truly impressive work! Looking forward to stopping by at some point soon and seeing it in the metal.
Dion
Thanks for those kind compliments Brian.
Dion
Started prep work on drivers rear quarter panel.
Removed the undercoating with heat gun, left the flare alone since that is
paint and not tar. Found yet another hole lurking. Apparently minding its own
business till the flap disc found him out. Oh how I miss my complete car.....
Oh well we are here to make it whole again. There is a nice chunk missing by the tail lamp I’ll be utilizing a good piece from Garold. I’ll prep
that next week hopefully. So some before and after pics:
Dion
Unbelievable the amount of seam sealer that was around the snorkel. Dug that out.
I have a new snorkel and slam panel for that area.
Removed the ..urethane? Foam from the panel as well.
Dion
Ugly metal:
Dion
Foam
Dion
Sail panel damage
Dion
Panel
Dion
If any one has a compromised panel but not in the area I need to repair
would gladly like to have it so I could make a patch.
Let me know what ya have...thanks for checking in.
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 2 2018, 07:29 PM) *

If any one has a compromised panel but not in the area I need to repair
would gladly like to have it so I could make a patch.
Let me know what ya have...thanks for checking in.

Let me check the scrap pile in the morning. I had a pair of extra sail panels that were too far gone to use to replace mine, but I don't remember where they were damaged. We might get lucky.
Dion
Thanks Brent beerchug.gif
bbrock
Pulled it out of the scrap pile. It's a bit crusty under vent tube but looks like it might clean up and cover the area you need to patch. If you think it has promise, I can hit it with the media blaster this evening and send more pics. If you decide you want it, pm me with your address and how much you want cut off and it's yours.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dion
Brent that should do the trick. Will save me trying to duplicate that contour. Thanks buddy!
914dave
Oh look , a real snorkel! We can use that
Dion
I broke down and bought a snorkel from RD.
Ya guilted me. I’m diggin the racing stripes on the yellow/ green colour!
Yeah baby, groovy!
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 3 2018, 09:48 AM) *

I broke down and bought a snorkel from RD.
Ya guilted me. I’m diggin the racing stripes on the yellow/ green colour!
Yeah baby, groovy!

Ah! headbang.gif I wish I'd have known. My recollection is that part isn't cheap and you can have this one for free.
Dion
All part of the adventure! lol-2.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 3 2018, 10:01 AM) *

All part of the adventure! lol-2.gif

agree.gif
I was about to say "Forget the snorkel. You're in deep enough that you need full on SCUBA gear!" lol-2.gif
Look great, Dion. You're really getting there!
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Dion @ Jan 22 2017, 08:30 PM) *

Repacked

Nice work.

When you get your car on the road if you find you have any vibrations even subtle ones in the front wheels or run out in the hubs, wheels that mystifies all diagnostics start here.

Those are high spots where the race bottoms out which occurs when removing the old races with a drift, punch etc I usually take an old race slice it with a cut off wheel, a rubber drum on a drill motor, some 600 grit lapping compound and spin the "race lapping tool" for about 20 seconds until the high spots are gone. (hubs are soft aluminum)

Yours aren't bad but could show up as a gremlin later. I've seen hubs much worse that I have repaired were murdered by the BFH.

On the Pelican site I have seen a 50+ times guy replaces bearings and races then shows back up three month later with an issue and a new vibration thread then later needlessly replacing hubs.

The high spots are small but when you extend that small rise to tread distance or wheel bead it turns into preventable amount of run out. The tapered rollers will last longer also.
Dion
Jeff , thanks for the heads up! Would never had known. I really appreciate that. Great info. Always learning something.
Cheers, mate.

PS: love your thread, tons of info.
Dion
No body work updates ...but just wanted to share a story in which I wanted to honor my friend Jim McLeod (type47). Before the time of his passing he and I were both doing
2.4L six conversions. So we had a friendly wager going on as to whom was
gonna get on the road first. Well Jim we both are!
I was fortunate to obtain Jim’s 2.4L yellow fan/engine shroud at the recent picnic honoring him. So it’s now home on my engine. I hope his spirit will enjoy
some road trips with me and my 914 friends. It may be silly to some
but has meaning to me.
Dion
Yellow
mb911
I personally think that's awesome.. I am all kinds of about these type of thing's. Everytime I see someone that has served in the military I shake their hand, everytime I look at something my dad has given me I think about back to my childhood and remember the time he gave it to me. Your tribute to Jim is just fantastic..
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 19 2018, 03:13 PM) *

I personally think that's awesome.. I am all kinds of about these type of thing's. Everytime I see someone that has served in the military I shake their hand, everytime I look at something my dad has given me I think about back to my childhood and remember the time he gave it to me. Your tribute to Jim is just fantastic..

Couldn't have said it better. Very cool and now you will never be lonely in your car.
Dion
Thanks fellas. Appreciate your sentiments.
Dion
Duplicate
Dion
Back to this welder.gif
Rear left tail lamp area. Swiss cheese.
Nothing too exciting just documenting.
Dion
Duplicate post
Dion
Donor piece
Dion
Upper outer portion repair
Dion
Next: rear just above rubber cap region. Offending piece cut out.
Dion
Patch piece test fit.
Dion
For those wondering about all those other holes on the perimeter those are the spot weld holes
which will be addressed when mounting panel to car structure. Will be working on sail panel tomorrow and get some primer on the bare metal.
Dion
Worked on the sail panel a bit. Brent thanks mate!
The piece you sent worked out fine. When the finish body work is done all should look
proper. Glad it has metal back where it should be.
Here’s some photos of progress. Next on the “ to do “ list, will be the Left console/ longitudinal. sawzall-smiley.gif
Dion
Patch piece being sized up
Dion
Cut & weld
Dion
Some primer
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 24 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Worked on the sail panel a bit. Brent thanks mate!
The piece you sent worked out fine. When the finish body work is done all should look
proper. Glad it has metal back where it should be.
Here’s some photos of progress. Next on the “ to do “ list, will be the Left console/ longitudinal. sawzall-smiley.gif

Hey look at that! I'm glad that old rusty turd still had a use for someone. Nice work. beerchug.gif
Dion
Thanks boss, I’m trying. beerchug.gif
Dion
Went back to work on the sail panel patch again.
Wasn’t really happy that some flash rust had shown through the primer.
Sanded that area again and prepped. Then used some self etching primer there
since it has the “zinc” content in it.
Dion
Flipped the fender over and used the same treatment I did for the other flares.
Where as my flares had been “lap welded” as opposed to “butt weld” , I wanted to add
an extra means chemically to warn off problems.
I used Eastwood’s internal chassis coating to have it creep into the small crevices of the welded areas. Of course cleaned it thoroughly first. Then I used “rubber undercoating” on the flare itself. The condition of paint on the inner flare was quite sound. After prepping and cleaning the rest of the interior of the fender I then sprayed with epoxy primer. This should keep till the rest of the chassis is done. Then finish bodywork can begin.... that’s a bit aways yet!
Dion
I know this car was a COTM & I appreciate that very much.
However the paint job was 14 years old and was just applied on the topsides.
No door jambs or underhood areas. So since we’re in for a pound in for a penny,
I’m addressing areas that need attention. I’m not calling this a restoration but a freshening. This is my build, my hot-rod. Not concours by any means. So if ya see flaws
oh well I’m doing my best. So this weekend I tackled the headlite hardware and
the buckets. Sanded the headlite hardware, primered and gave em the zinc phosphate look with a spray bomb from Eastwood.
Dion
Sanded
Dion
Sanded
Dion
Paint
Dion
Sunday’s chore was the bucket area and the front portion of the rain channel around the hood. Also did a re-spray of the floor of the frunk. It was a bit scuffed up.
Dion
Primer & Paint on channel
Dion
The buckets & frunk
Dion
P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.