Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Dion
Cockpit ...after
Dion
Firewall...before
Dion
Firewall... colour
Dion
I decided to put the car back together. Make sure the engine is sound and get all the ancillaries functioning. Tackle the bodywork and paint next spring/summer. See how it goes.
Dion
2 more of engine bay.
Dion
Oil tank area
ndfrigi
yehey almost done! Great work and congratulations finishing the tub!
bbrock
Lookin' good dude! Loving the progress. aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
I wish I have put mine altogether before finishing the body work and painting. Its a lot more work, but it means you're not cutting into finished paint when you make changes.
TonyA
Paint looks great
Dion
Thanks so very much fellas. I really do appreciate the encouragement.
You’ve been a great support group. Always learning. Mistakes are made. Some rectified, some ...well.... that’s good enough biggrin.gif
I’ll keep posting. I hope some of my pics and ideas provide an illustration to
Someone else’s questions.
Cheers all!
porschetub
QUOTE(Dion @ Sep 26 2020, 12:17 PM) *

Oil tank area

Great work Dion ..big milestone eh ? pleased for you mate,you have come a long way smilie_pokal.gif .
Dion
Started assembling the basics back to the chassis.
First up was the hard brake lines and pressure regulator.
I purchased the OEM lines from PMB. They also restored the regulator for me.
Dion
Mounted regulator
Dion
For the engine “hatch” I applied some foam weather stripping to aid in sealing out noise,fumes. That is placed in between the metal surfaces and I utilized some extra engine
grille edging for the opening edges.
Dion
E-brake handle installed with cables and it’s warning lite wiring.
Dion
E-brake
Dion
Lastly for this weekend, a nicely restored heater lever courtesy @raynekat . Thanks Doug!
bbrock
Nice work. I'm loving the green brake lines. Good call on gasketing that hatch too. aktion035.gif
TonyA
Wow I need to get over there and see this in person.
rgolia
Dion - Outstanding work and progress....didn't know you were getting this much done during the Covid. I want to come see too.
Dion
QUOTE(rgolia @ Oct 5 2020, 05:37 AM) *

Dion - Outstanding work and progress....didn't know you were getting this much done during the Covid. I want to come see too.

Always welcome fellas beerchug.gif Be great to maybe hangout on a nice fall day. Bench racing in the garage. driving.gif
Dion
Alright end of month update. Nothing that hasn’t been seen or done before but again hopefully helps someone out working on their own.
First up, throttle control for the carbs. I’m using 914Rubbers kit. Pretty straightforward.
I welded the little shark fin on the pedal end. I also had to take a slice out of my JW shifter console so this whole setup can function.
Turned out pretty good.
Dion
Installed a new master cylinder. Followed Ian’s brilliant video. It was a bit of a pain in the arse as my lifts crossbar happens to lay in the region I needed to access. Moving the car on the lift isn’t an option yet. The test of wills for me was getting the hoses to lay against the bulkhead. I was getting some interference from the steering rack bellows.
I used the EZ install where the hoses go into the cylinder. All worked out.
Dion
Front suspension went on. Bilstein struts, reconditioned A-arms with Elephant Racing’s polybronze bushings and some Sebro vented rotors.
Dion
Close-up. You have to love some John Deere colour.
Dion
Oil tank. Sourced the proper “plastic” washers from Stoddard to mount the tank and also the rubber grommet around the console. The foam piece for around the oil fill neck is a
nutty price. Not installed yet, no pic.
tygaboy
smilie_pokal.gif
It's always a good day when there's an update from Dion!
Coming right along and looking really good.
Dion
Some tasty bits that will bring this to a halt. S calipers restored courtesy of Eric & the gang at PMB. They turned out beautiful.
Dion
Thanks Chris! beerchug.gif
Dion
As I was losing my mind, because when I first fitted my rear rotors and rotated them,
they wobbled like the Flintstones jalopy! I was like what the hell! I screwed up the bearing install. My sanity was restored when i contacted Dave who asked “did you torque
the rotor all the way down” .....Ummm no. So after feeling like a Jack-ass. I did. I also went and purchased my first dial indicator. What a cool device! I checked both sides run-out.
Sent a vid to Dave to make sure I was doing this correctly. All checked out. I was within spec. Whew! Thanks @914Dave Always learning.
So then I was able to mount the rear (PMB restored biggrin.gif ) GT calipers. Owe Mark ( @mepstein ) a debt of gratitude for allowing me to purchase these from him.
Love that fresh factory appearance.
Need to order the soft lines and get some fluid, then... I’m sure the fun will begin.
Also need to source the E-brake pins. My previous setup was a nut and bolt.
Anyone have a source? My searches keep showing NLA.
Cheers all.
mepstein
Dion - I’m pretty sure PMB keeps the pins in stock.
Dion
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 29 2020, 04:44 PM) *

Thanks Mark, I’ll check it out and give em a ring.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 29 2020, 06:44 PM) *

agree.gif
rgalla9146
Looking good Dion !
Great progress.
Well done !
Larmo63
There are little caps that go on the outside (wheel side) adjusters too.

I'm not sure where you get them, just mentioning.
TonyA
Maybe when it stops raining Rgolia Dave and I could cruise over.
9146C
That's a very impressive build!

pray.gif
Dion
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 29 2020, 07:22 PM) *

There are little caps that go on the outside (wheel side) adjusters too.

I'm not sure where you get them, just mentioning.

@Larmo63 thanks my friend. I was able to get them from PMB.
Dion
Time to update.
Been busy with my real job and also at the same time working on a new career.
Recently obtained a CDL license. That’s my bridge “job” to retirement. biggrin.gif Hopefully that
works out like I’d like it too.
Anyways .... A few more items to this project.
Connected 2 of oil tank lines. After reading some of the how to threads on here, I went and bought a HF set of those special wrenches. They worked out very nice.
Dion
Next up was the gauges and their corresponding wiring. Why is wiring so stressful?
I really hope they all function as they should!! The most challenging was the damn little
trip odometer cable. Don’t know why but is was a bugger to get it to lay proper, so it wouldn’t bind on the dash bulkhead.
Looks like my car received a tangerine colour dash before the black paint went on.
Dion
Ahhh the nice leather dash gets its place of honor. It’s a nicely done piece.
Dion
Some German loop carpeting courtesy 914rubber. Charcoal colour.
Dion
The supervisor joined me one evening, it was a chilly one. She’s getting up in age. 14 years now. Every day is a bonus. @bbrock knows this all too well. beerchug.gif buddy, for Niaqaq.
Dion
Changed the interior a wee bit. Decided to mount the shifter above the carpet... more mechanical look to it. Added the center storage box with my fuel gauge and low fuel lamp.
bbrock
QUOTE(Dion @ Dec 21 2020, 06:24 PM) *

The supervisor joined me one evening, it was a chilly one. She’s getting up in age. 14 years now. Every day now is a bonus. @bbrock knows this all to well. beerchug.gif buddy for Niaqaq.

Thanks Dion. Give the supervisor a scratch behind the ears for me. Awesome looking buddy there. beerchug.gif
Dion
And to wrap up December work, the 1970’s version of Sport Chrono biggrin.gif
Merry Christmas all, be safe and well!
mepstein
I was loving it until you got to the clock on the dash.
Dion
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 21 2020, 06:11 PM) *

I was loving it until you got to the clock on the dash.

Heheheheh. Aww c’mon Mark! A little 70’s kitsch. Easily removed. 3M tape. If I’m honest not totally sold on it. biggrin.gif It’s a cool period piece though.
tygaboy
Dion - WOW!! Your car is looking great! LOVE the interior. Dash = very nice. wub.gif
And I like the shifter above the carpet.
Merry Happy to you and yours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.