Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: *Project 2.4* • Dion’s endeavor • Six conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Dion
@TonyA swung by this morning. His LE sounded & looked great as usual! Nice time catching up on things. So appropriate that an “orange “ car shows up on Halloween!!
Thanks Tony! Enjoy the drives.
TonyA
Thanks Dion , pictures don’t do your car justice absolutely stunning. It was worth the risk of driving in the rain (which held off) to see it in person. Can’t wait to follow you and Dave around in the spring because I certainly will be in the dust.
Dion
Right , so here we are. Have the refurbished door stays in.
Dion
Added my rallye style vent perspex triangle windows I made. Along with that bloody wonderful seal we all love to install. I will say Glycerin helped tremendously. Only drawback is that it drips everywhere and does not seem to evaporate too quickly. I’m still cleaning it off the windup window!
Dion
Vent installed. Found them on an aircraft website. They are functional.
Dion
New vapor barrier
Dion
Door cards
Dion
Next up I need to modify my oil return tube a wee bit more. It’s making contact with the shift rod. Approximately 1-2mm needs to be persuaded to dimple in. Then I need to take out the rear window again. :-( I did not catch it at first but the bugger dropped off one of the spacers and settled…crooked! headbang.gif I also need to repair one of the defrost
grid lines . So just as well that it comes out to make it right.
Cheers
bkrantz
I love your attention to detail. And it makes me feel better about my own OCD. smash.gif
9146C
Wow!
raynekat
Those vents in your quarter windows are awesome!
Very nice.
TRS63
Wow! The windows with vents are a great details and I really like how simple yet functional your doorcards are !
Thanks for sharing!
Antoine
wonkipop
those air vents are pretty good.
i have to agree.

i want to rip those off to put in windows in a building.
do you mind?
thats like something the japanese would think of.
autopro
Agreed, those vents are way cool and I love the way the interior is coming out.
Dion
Happy New Year! Getting some more things done.
I took the rear window out again to fix the defrost grid. I purchased a grid repair kit. I’m never going to be a pin-striper. Even with masking tape it was challenging with the mixture. The brush supplied could have been thinner and higher quality. It got the job done though.With an ohmmeter I checked for continuity. It’s functioning now.
Dion
Had to re-visit my scavenger line to tank. I could not manage to make Ben’s steel line
stay in proper orientation when I tightened all the fittings. My Rich Johnson mount may be sitting a mm or 2 lower than it should. Real estate on this firewall at a premium!
I purchased a Patrick hard line and had to tweak that as
well. It was the wrong angle for this engine mount combo. I had the hydraulic shop change fittings and make me a soft line. Also made a support rod out of a curtain rod bracket! The original sixes are NLA.
Dion
Bracket/support
Dion
Flapper box on, it’s getting tighter in engine room!
Dion
New hardware for the gearbox/rod selector console.
Dion
Slowly hooking up the electrics. Found I had no brake lites. Checked the grounds, turns out the contacts at the pedal cluster were not engaging. Fixed that.
Goal in the coming weeks is sorting the ignition system. I’m getting close.
barnfind9141972
Awesome work, the car is coming together brilliantly smilie_pokal.gif bit of a silly question, are there any issues with installing your Rennshifter above the carpet? I’d like to do the same as I think it would look awesome but don’t want to mess anything up.
TRS63
A lot of work done here, as we all know how much time these "details" are taking!

Thanks for sharing, looks great as usual,

Antoine
Dion
@barnfind9141972 Thanks for the kind words. No, no issues mounting on top of carpet. I trimmed just enough carpet away to access the linkage beneath for adjustments. BUT if you change your set up you’ll prolly need a new tunnel carpet piece.
Cheers
Dion
Thank you Antione. How right you are with regards to time consuming. The little fiddly bits can eat a lot up!
Cheers mate.
saigon71
Beautiful work as usual Dion. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
This may help with the ignition wiring.

IPB Image

I put this diagram together years ago, and lost the original. I found this searching the board. The drawing was modified by the person reposting it.

Here's the original thread on it.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;p=749463&

Hope that helps!

Clay

tygaboy
popcorn[1].gif
Getting close.... Can't wait for video of the maiden voyage!
Luke M
QUOTE(Dion @ Jan 3 2022, 09:17 PM) *

Had to re-visit my scavenger line to tank. I could not manage to make Ben’s steel line
stay in proper orientation when I tightened all the fittings. My Rich Johnson mount may be sitting a mm or 2 lower than it should. Real estate on this firewall at a premium!
I purchased a Patrick hard line and had to tweak that as
well. It was the wrong angle for this engine mount combo. I had the hydraulic shop change fittings and make me a soft line. Also made a support rod out of a curtain rod bracket! The original sixes are NLA.

My brother's 6 conv he has the same engine mount and Ben's lines. I had an issue fitting the steel line as well. No heat exchangers on his car but the line wouldn't go up enough at the front. It hit the engine mount. I spoke with Ben and I bent the line to fit. Then ran into the issue with the rubber line at the tank. 1st the rubber hose would kink when trying to fit it to the steel line. I figured out that the steel line is too long. Then the steel line fitting is a 30 mm and rubber hose is 26 mm. I went back to Ben and we where working on a solution. I just put that on hold for now as I needed to get the car out of my garage. I went and dug out my org 6 steel line and installed that for now. All works well now. Ben was good to deal with on this and we figured it out. I'll address that in the spring as we need to run the front oil cooler lines anyways.. If I were to do another 6 conv I'm going to use the factory 6 style mount the Maddog sells. Seams like a lot of my problems where at the mount on this one.
Dion
@ClayPerrine Clay thanks for that. You sent me one similar earlier. I’m going to read that link very well. Appreciate it! I’m pretty sure I have the basic layout correct. Just need to verify and double check the Tach feed.
Thanks again.
Dion
@Luke M Luke thanks for verifying my sanity. It was a back and forth game with my hydraulic shop. You’ve exactly described what I was experiencing. Yes the soft line on tank would kink way too much and I was hitting the motor mount. After I tweaked it to clear the shift rod , I made it worse. The Patrick hard line is a tad tight near the OEM exchanger but it works. That one I had to tweak a few degree to steer it away from mount. Then was able to snake the soft line around. Yes the metric fittings baffled the hydraulic shop a bit. confused24.gif They knew AN but they never dealt with 30 and 26 mm
fittings. They were cool tho regarding the furrin’ car. They are used to CAT, John Deere, and Volvo machines. Glad you sorted yours out and Ben came through. I didn’t want to bug Ben. He was moving at the time.
beerchug.gif
Dion
Ok, so I added 8 quarts to the oil system (tank).
Removed the plugs. Cranked a few times. We have pressure! Hit 20 on the gauge and the lite went out. Will try and upload a vid. (Not good with vid).

https://youtu.be/LQYnAgbCLkY
Dion
View of fan doing it’s thing, while cranking.
Next step is getting the fuel going.
Work on that in the coming days.

https://youtube.com/shorts/2cevj_Z0Rmw?feature=share
tygaboy
@Dion - Looks like your 2nd video is set to "Private".
Don't be such a tease! We NEED to see this NOW!!!!
Dion
Hahah @tygaboy I think I fixed that. Told you I’m not good with this vid stuff!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 17 2022, 04:45 PM) *

Hahah @tygaboy I think I fixed that. Told you I’m not good with this vid stuff!

Well, you know I'm a big "fan" of you and your build! av-943.gif
So close! When do you plan to fire it?
Dion
laugh.gif @tygaboy , hopefully fire up next week. Lot of good info from the peeps here on going about this procedure. Engine has been waiting a wee bit!
Thanks my friend.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(Dion @ Oct 6 2016, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 6 2016, 09:48 AM) *

Your going to need a few more license plates and possibly another roll of duct tape... popcorn[1].gif

*subscribed*

Hahahah. Yeah pretty much!
What has the collective done with regards to the door jamb
sticker? Is it salvageable? Do you even bother.
Being it's an "Antique" here in PA, the car doesn't get inspected.
Just wondering what you have done.
Thanks

very old post but read your comment on the jamb sticker
there's an app that let's you take a picture and send it.
Dion
@nivekdodge thanks. I purchased a replacement from CarBone. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 18 2022, 03:48 PM) *

@nivekdodge thanks. I purchased a replacement from CarBone. beerchug.gif

Looks like you are very close buddy,always a nervous time on first start but my experience was great considering I had zero engine history on my motor.
Good luck .
rgalla9146

Not only did the warning light go out but you had rising oil pressure in a very short
time.....nice results !
Keep up the good work !
Beautiful
Root_Werks
smilie_pokal.gif

So close!
rgolia
Go Dion go.....are we invited for the firing up? If so I will bring the beverages.
Dion
QUOTE(rgolia @ Feb 18 2022, 01:29 PM) *

Go Dion go.....are we invited for the firing up? If so I will bring the beverages.

@rgolia Hey Ralph, more like “bring fire extinguishers” lol-2.gif . I’m gonna be nervous as hell.
I think that would be a great idea though, if I only knew when I’d be playing with fuel.
Making good on my promise to refinish the wood floor in the kitchen. So…….
Put a bottle of the Vino on the side for me! Cheers!
Dion
First I want to thank you fellas that helped me out with the start up procedure regarding waking this engine up after its dormancy.
Took your suggestions and after about 7 cranks the candle lit.
I have 2 small weepy areas on the bottom valve covers that I’ll check on and re-torque.
Seems to idle well. When the weather clears here in PA, I’ll see about getting it on the road under load. Need an alignment as well. More details to add yet. Trim, muffler, etc.
Happy we got this far. Thanks again for the pointers guys. @roblav1 , @rgalla9146 ,
@ClayPerrine , @Root Werks, there will be plenty more peeps I’ll be thanking. You don’t know how much it’s all appreciated.

https://youtu.be/9DFoFdHPjHs

https://youtu.be/9qOlhma-5Wk

https://youtu.be/XrprV-TmDZw
tygaboy
AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif wub.gif

Big congrats on THE major milestone, Dion!

Also, I vote you run it just like that: no muffler, ever! laugh.gif

Seriously, GREAT job, long time coming, well deserved result. Now, drive the hell out of it. driving.gif driving.gif
ndfrigi
Congrats Dion!
9146C
It's been a pleasure to watch this build progress...congrats on getting her running...sounds great!
BeatNavy
Awesome, Dion! Congratulations to you piratenanner.gif

Look forward to seeing you drive it at the next gathering beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
So very cool when they start up again. Congratulations Dion. beerchug.gif
roblav1
Congrats! Always a very nerve wracking and exciting time!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.