Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
Work going on in the front trunk area, for the AeroLatch brackets Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Forward area of the trunk, in the headlight bay. ..also for the AeroLatch.
Four in total to hold down the front trunk.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Rear trunk AeroLatch bracket layoutClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Total of 4 AeroLatch brackets in the rear trunk.
These small attachments are welded to the existing "Bumper stop adjuster" trunk lid plates....makes for a decent landing area for the latches.Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
Wow Just Wow! Now this is a great build thread! Mad skills you guys have. pray.gif
whitetwinturbo
stirthepot.gif so bad it's good wub.gif
Stacks914
NICE!! the dream build I never knew existed!!!
Maltese Falcon
Dzus fastener 101. This was my first experience with these fasteners.
Pegasus Racing supplied the parts, some racing buddies and the Internet gave me the education. So the rear quarter panels provided the learning curve. I should be A+ by the time I reach the fiberglass front end !Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Leading edge test fit, Right quarter.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Right quarter taking shape on the 914 unibody.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Left + Right quarters in place, starting to fasten it down. There are various combinations of Dzus fasteners and mating pins. The Pegasus kit has a variety of 4 fasteners and 4 pins. I spent lots of time getting these panels to fit tight by trial and error, finally getting the correct combination. The blue tape has notes jotted down, which were then recorded to my data log. Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Rear quarter inboard support struts.
I made these bolt-in style, and built jigs so we can have replacement struts on hand. Small fasteners make set up work quick, then replace with Dzus fasteners for the final fit.
The small OE support bracket gets trimmed away.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Support strut on the forward area of the rear quarter Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
SafeCraft brand outer cage net set up, features a real clean quick- release design; beneficial for both driver and safety crew.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This is the small receiver for the quick release SafeCraft plunger, I machined the contour to match the roll bar where it will be welded.
I guess you can say that this is a Hand built U.S.hot rod flag.gif Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Getting into those tight spots with the mig welder Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
These solid steel "Circles" were cut to the contour of the trailing arm ends and welded in place.
Handy when lashing down the 914 while transporting in the trailer.Click to view attachment
Cracker
Amazing build...equally amazing amount of money to throw at this project! I love it. Just out of curiosity...what is the projected weight "range" of the finished car? Are you intending to have hinged doors or dzus fasteners? Will this car be street legal too?

Keep up the great work - I enjoy seeing the progress pics. THANKS for sharing!

PS: I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how you fit the turbo's and manifolds back
there - it will be a tight space with ALL that going on! beerchug.gif

Tony
MATTYLITE
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2015, 05:34 AM) *

Amazing build...equally amazing amount of money to throw at this project! I love it. Just out of curiosity...what is the projected weight "range" of the finished car? Are you intending to have hinged doors or dzus fasteners? Will this car be street legal too?

PS: I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how you fit the turbo's and manifolds back

Tony

Thanks for this Tony. Thankfully all the engineering / body work / metal fabrication is all done in house, which makes this project more cost effective than one would think, allowing us to budget for the more expensive items that we don't make in house such as the drive train / wheels etc.

The projected weight range was never an actual number we've built the vehicle around. When it's all said and done, it will be a very light car with a lot of horsepower. TBH, a little more weight wouldn't hurt at this point! biggrin.gif

This car will have the OEM hinges for its doors and has already been cut around to fit the NASCAR style int. roll cage. We had planned on using fiberglass door skins, but the rigidity of the all metal doors is what changed our minds.

And yes, the car will be street legal, but we don't plan on driving it much on the street. Mainly to several local / very close car shows. Other than that, it will be on the trailer.

Thankfully Maltese Falcon (Marty / aka my dad) is a metal bending guru and will fabricate the entire turbo back exhaust system as if it came Straight Out Of Stuttgart!! (NWA Pun sunglasses.gif )
Cracker
All I can say is I'm very impressed! I understand (but am not personally capable and talented enough to execute such a build) what it takes to pull this off. Do you mind sharing with everyone how
you've built-out the front of the car? You have allot of good ideas... pray.gif

With that said - I "challenge" your car to a duel of sorts, either at Road Atlanta or Barber Motorsports Park - your choice. Looser on "best lap time" pays transportation fees!

I'm (only) running an "itty-bitty-four-cylinder" - no brainer! The only caveat is the "owners" have to drive the cars. This might be the only way I see YOUR car in action...even if its only for awhile - my rear view mirrors are very small. piratenanner.gif

I (and many, many others) would love to see your car on the East Coast - I'm sure many enthusiasts would be willing to "travel-in" if it could be scheduled at a DE in advance. beerchug.gif

Tony/Cracker

QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Sep 3 2015, 12:28 PM) *

Thanks for this Tony. Thankfully all the engineering / body work / metal fabrication is all done in house, which makes this project more cost effective than one would think, allowing us to budget for the more expensive items that we don't make in house such as the drive train / wheels etc.

The projected weight range was never an actual number we've built the vehicle around. When it's all said and done, it will be a very light car with a lot of horsepower. TBH, a little more weight wouldn't hurt at this point! biggrin.gif

Thankfully Maltese Falcon (Marty / aka my dad) is a metal bending guru and will fabricate the entire turbo back exhaust system as if it came Straight Out Of Stuttgart!! (NWA Pun sunglasses.gif )
MATTYLITE
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2015, 10:45 AM) *

All I can say is I'm very impressed! I understand (but am not personally capable and talented enough to execute such a build) what it takes to pull this off. Do you mind sharing with everyone how
you've built-out the front of the car? You have allot of good ideas... pray.gif

With that said - I "challenge" your car to a duel of sorts, either at Road Atlanta or Barber Motorsports Park - your choice. Looser on "best lap time" pays transportation fees!

I'm (only) running an "itty-bitty-four-cylinder" - no brainer! The only caveat is the "owners" have to drive the cars. This might be the only way I see YOUR car in action...even if its only for awhile - my rear view mirrors are very small. piratenanner.gif

I (and many, many others) would love to see your car on the East Coast - I'm sure many enthusiasts would be willing to "travel-in" if it could be scheduled at a DE in advance. beerchug.gif

Tony/Cracker

Will have front pics for you shortly. Currently working our way to the front so we will be updating as we go with that.

We're always down for some friendly competition... this is after all a race car (not a wash n' shine car)... although it could be too..

We mainly follow the POC racing schedule (West Coast mainly), but plan on attending PCA events once the car is done, so I'm sure we'll be on the East Coast soon enough. We want to experience many tracks with this car as possible and can't wait for it to be on one!

Matt
Cracker
Barber would be a meaningful location for you to visit since its home to their Porsche Sport Driving School (a very expensive Cup Car program - 10G's - for a weekend!). I believe I remember you stating your car would be an interpretation of a modern "Cup" car - of sorts. If so, there are very good baselines for comparison to that model at Barber. Another big benefit is its not nearly as "dangerous" (far more forgiving) as Road Atlanta...

Thanks for the pictures in advance...as you make progress.

Tony

QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Sep 3 2015, 02:49 PM) *

We're always down for some friendly competition... this is after all a race car (not a wash n' shine car)... although it could be too..

We...plan on attending PCA events once the car is done, so I'm sure we'll be on the East Coast soon enough.

Matt
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cracker @ Sep 3 2015, 05:34 AM) *

Tony

This is not the current v8 car we are building, but its sister.
This undercar pic reveals 2 of the Turbonetics gtk turbos tightly packed under a 914 trunk.The trunk is full of intercooler and the engine bay has a resident flat fan 3.3 living there. We actually have more real estate with the v8 build as there is no trunk floor biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Cracker
Thanks for sharing...although I have room, between the dry sump tank, cooler, intakes, and all - I just can't imagine finding ADDITIONAL room for all the extra items
you need to mount. I'm keeping two seats in the car but if not it would be a breeze. Keep'em coming!

T

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 3 2015, 10:51 PM) *

This is not the current v8 car we are building, but its sister.
This undercar pic reveals 2 of the Turbonetics gtk turbos tightly packed under a 914 trunk.The trunk is full of intercooler and the engine bay has a resident flat fan 3.3 living there. We actually have more real estate with the v8 build as there is no trunk floor biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Small update for October; making the template over the tunnel for the SQS sequential shifter. It will run a cable back to the inverted trans. Just getting a feel for the basic stance of my cabin space. That old 914 seat works perfect for today's test.
MartyClick to view attachment
r_towle
You are sick, in a good sort of way.

Could you post the table or jig you built to hold the car still while you do this welding?
I am looking for se ideas.
Mueller
This build just keeps getting better and better...

Does the Cayenne/Panamera V8 bolt to any of "standard" Porsche or Audi'ish transaxles?

I like that the Audi 4.2 bolts to a Boxter transmission, however hard to pass up a fairly low mileage Porsche engine for a little bit more money.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 7 2015, 07:23 PM) *

You are sick, in a good sort of way.

Could you post the table or jig you built to hold the car still while you do this welding?
I am looking for se ideas.

The jig that I use on this build was built from 2"x 6", .250" wall rectangular steel tube. This rectangular "Base" was built on a flat steel table.
We added legs and caster wheels/brakes so we can move around the shop. The 914 bolts down to the rectangular base in 4 places.
I bolt 2 adjustable side bars (solid 1" sq. steel) in the doorways/to Targa bar...record, check and adjust the dimension at the door openings. Two more support bars; 1 spanning across the front shock towers, and 1 spanning across the upper rear longs.
I also sent it over to the media blaster and paint shop on the rolling jig. I like this height for working around from all angles. It is also at the correct height to allow the v8 to roll underneath it.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 7 2015, 08:14 PM) *

This build just keeps getting better and better...

Does the Cayenne/Panamera V8 bolt to any of "standard" Porsche or Audi'ish transaxles?

I like that the Audi 4.2 bolts to a Boxter transmission, however hard to pass up a fairly low mileage Porsche engine for a little bit more money.

Unfortunately these v8 engines do not mate to any of the Porsche transaxles without a custom adapter plate. Our plate is cnc milled from T6 aluminum and is only .750" thick. That is a good dimension as I can't have a super long drivetrain that might protrude into the cabin. I'm not sure about the boxster transaxle bolt patterns-to-v8 Porsche. We also moved the starter motor into the standard transaxle location ; on the Cayenne it is mounted below the intake plenum in the V of the engine sad.gif
Marty
Cracker
Thanks for the updates...always a "treat" to see what (and how) you folks are building this car. Keep'm coming please. smile.gif

Tony
EdwardBlume
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
horizontally-opposed
Been following this off and on, and now revisiting. All I can say is: whoa. What a cool father and son project, and what an ambitious project.

I always thought the flat-fan car would be impossible to top as the wildest all-Porsche 914 hot rod. I guess I was wrong.

pete
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 8 2015, 08:50 AM) *

Been following this off and on, and now revisiting. All I can say is: whoa. What a cool father and son project, and what an ambitious project.

I always thought the flat-fan car would be impossible to top as the wildest all-Porsche 914 hot rod. I guess I was wrong.

pete

Thank you Pete for the kind words , my son has been involved with car projects early on. This is our 914 CI class (POC) that we started building when he was 15 1/2 years old. He had the class record when he was 18.
John Williamson (the late + great) out for some laps with Matt at Streets of Willow driving.gif biggrin.gif
Marty Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Setting up the sheet metal for the new mono-wiper on the cowl. Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Placement and final trimming for rear bumper fitment.
With this brand (A.I.R.) fiberglass bumper, you can't use the factory dog bones...so I will shape my own custom spacers.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Just had to take a quick burger break, it's gotta be an In-N-Out chowtime.gif Click to view attachment
914forme
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 10 2015, 10:22 PM) *

Setting up the sheet metal for the new mono-wiper on the cowl. Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif

Please so more details on your mono wiper :web:

Guess my real question ones down to motor setup. Hope your modifying something lite in weight. Later Model 911 motor is 4 pounds liter than my 914 motor, as I have modified a rack for that all ready, but, I would prefer to go mono. Which I did on my 914-4 with a Jetta Wiper Arm and Blade. IT was from the pass side location, did a great job, for what little rain the car sees. That and Rain-X. My plan includes filling the center vent, so I might as well do the cowl, and make it a true mono wiper.

BTW, love the build, and about to make a similar dolly as soon as the bottom of the car is sealed up.
Maltese Falcon
The mono wiper is a combination of AFI and Marinco watercraft items.
The blade is 24", arm is adjustable from 10"-14". I chose this method as there are no rods or mechanisms involved. The sweep, park of the blade is adjusted by a cam inside the motor unit. It is also has 2 speeds. A simple bracket system to hold it, and a 5/8" shaft adapter bushing is all that's needed. smile.gif Click to view attachment
bulitt
Thats cool and probably period correct for racers. However the mono on my wifes old E320...well...it works good on sunny days lol-2.gif
sixnotfour
monoemono beerchug.gif Great choice of motor first.gif

dont forget to get a chiwawa to ride shotgun driving.gifa

that blade may be to long ,,unless you have a pantograph style arm ??
Maltese Falcon
A custom tool that I fabb'd up, it holds the vents down in place on the cowl while I'm cutting away. The tool is held down on the sheet metal with one hand while I run the small saw with my other hand.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The placement of the holding tool; the grille "Fingers" stayed in place while cutting...nothing bent or damaged.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Cutting out the recess for the bottom of the new mono-wiper/ 18 ga. mounting plate. The hold down tool also doubles as a safety buffer for my fingers while cutting.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Trial fit and almost ready for welding in place.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
As viewed from under the cowl, recess is approximately 2" x 2" area.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
For kicks...I placed the wiper down into the wiper shaft area . There is enough adjustment in the arm for final dial-in...when the wiper motor gets fitted.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another view...Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
MSDS 9148-gtt photographer and good friend Sherwood, he's also a member here.Click to view attachment
914forme
Thank you, all the motivation I need.
Maltese Falcon
914-8 gtt projekt approval by a Factory official, our good friend Uwe (center in pic) stopped in the MSDS Zentrum for a visit. He has been following our hot-rod builds since the mid '80s. He wanted to know what this 914's nickname will be...good question biggrin.gif
Lots of Porsche crew in California during Rennsport Reunion5.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.