Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 2 2018, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 2 2018, 08:11 PM) *

Getting back into assembly of specialty equipment to the project; starting with the SQS sequential shifter moduleClick to view attachment

I bet some trick engineering went into designing and making that puppy. Wow.

SQS makes a large selection (various vehicles brands) of sequential shifter kits. They are good at what they design + mfg. The module is basically a blend of human input (you move the stick), changes into electronic command to solenoids which create shift linkage movement from the H pattern into a Linear pattern.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 2 2018, 08:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 2 2018, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 2 2018, 08:11 PM) *

Getting back into assembly of specialty equipment to the project; starting with the SQS sequential shifter moduleClick to view attachment

I bet some trick engineering went into designing and making that puppy. Wow.

I bet it's spendy.

It's worth every dime thumb3d.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 2 2018, 10:33 PM) *

This build, put simply, brings a smile to my face.

Wow...love the build as a car, but also the heart and craft going into it. wub.gif

Dig that Pete, I'm on that page as well...need my min 4 hours daily on the project...some days more. The addiction is real !
Maltese Falcon
At Rennsport6, the 914 project drew some good reviews from the Porsche boys at Weissach !¡
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Moving on to the brakes, StopTech will be on our build. They are local to us in SoCal, offering us hands on engineering and design input on the project. I've been to their plants (2 in So Bay area) and the customer service is spot on.
Front calipers are their 6 piston units with 380mm x 32mm vented / floating discs that are built to bolt on to the 911 strut with 3 1/2" bolt spacing. The finish on the calipers will be their electroless-nickel, not red as in this factory pic. Minimum wheel dia is 18" with this brake setup and the 935 bits we have installed
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Rear StopTechs are their #ST40 4 piston model. Using the Rich Johnson style 986 Boxster adapters, the ST-40's are 99% in position on the trailing arm. I'll use 12mm washers to shim the caliper into final position, then remake the aluminum blocks to the new fitment spec. The white trailing arm in the pic (use it at trade shows) is my workhorse for the rear prototype; so dont mind the solid rotor in place>> just being used for reference. The final rear rotors are 355mm x 32mm vented floating discs.
Sharpies make for decent 12mm soft dowels smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
With the 12mm hardware in place...
Click to view attachment
mepstein
White suspension might look good on the right car. Hmmm idea.gif

Thanks for the update. Looks great!
Dave_Darling
You're not going to make your own semi-trailing arms? Really?

biggrin.gif

--DD
Larmo63
We want to see this car on the road!!!!!!!!!

Looks great Marty
whitetwinturbo
Auto nirvana pray.gif .........I still love and need your wing and it's support set up. What does it take to get a copy?
Cracker
Off the hook Marty, off the hook...great job!

Tony
rgalla9146
Goodness gracious.
Unbelievable.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 3 2019, 08:47 PM) *

Auto nirvana pray.gif .........I still love and need your wing and it's support set up. What does it take to get a copy?

I think that these wing supports can be easily duplicated , I can show you around the project and supply you with a few of the aluminum bits...then you can take it to the next level. Call me when you can & jump over here on a Saturday 818.five0seven.69three7 thumb3d.gif
And thank you guys Dave, Mark, Lawrence, Tony & Rory for your support !!
Maltese Falcon
Things to do while waiting on StopTech brake order...finish up the JRZ nitrogen cannister brackets. Once the brakes are received and mounted, I can then determine the offset measurements for the custom wheel order. Lots to do while waiting for special order parts...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...another view
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
4 JRZ cannister brackets walk into a Starbucks...Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
since you have time..your gonna need bigger wheel bearings...??
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 2 2019, 06:11 PM) *

since you have time..your gonna need bigger wheel bearings...??

Jeff, just going to run new bearings and change these out as "Wear & Tear " parts through the race season. Would be great to have custom arms and run larger dia 934 c/v joints with bigger bearings, but even those will require change out intervals.
sixnotfour
there is a guy that ended upwith a bunch of vellios castings..I know the history,,but,,easy . I believe he has some not fully machined castings still...

I bought the 2 fully machined sets one 3.o and turbp spacing...my other 914 has a machined set custom .from AZ.... time..

I am just sayin easy now..
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 2 2019, 06:02 PM) *

......and?

There's got to be a barista joke in there somewhere. shades.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 2 2019, 08:04 PM) *

there is a guy that ended upwith a bunch of vellios castings..I know the history,,but,,easy . I believe he has some not fully machined castings still...

I bought the 2 fully machined sets one 3.o and turbp spacing...my other 914 has a machined set custom .from AZ.... time..

I am just sayin easy now..

Wonder what George was up to making trailing arm bits ¿¿ I only knew about his 916 (style) trans castings. Looks impressive.
Mayne
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 2 2019, 09:02 PM) *

That’s a latte fabrication.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mayne @ Mar 3 2019, 06:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 2 2019, 09:02 PM) *

That’s a latte fabrication.

biggrin.gif ...the caffeine does help !

Kelty360...
Barista says : "I will need to keep the 4 of you in this tray so you don't Shock the customers"
gotta be something better than that smile.gif
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 6 2019, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Feb 3 2019, 08:47 PM) *

I think that these wing supports can be easily duplicated , I can show you around the project and supply you with a few of the aluminum bits...then you can take it to the next level. Call me when you can & jump over here on a Saturday 818.five0seven.69three7 thumb3d.gif
And thank you guys Dave, Mark, Lawrence, Tony & Rory for your support !!

Will do soon via nine4nine.three78.sixteentwenty-five
beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Looking for JRZ mounting areas...front is good , rear should work tucked in a corner
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Getting into the new engine lid design
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
It's not a proper race car without some red registration-marks; these are for quick sight reference for neutral
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Harbor Freight didn't have a small dolly for the nitrogen tank, so had to custom make one with coffee cup holders smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Last mod needed on the SQS sequential shift module; a bit of an angle change to one of the brackets
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Didn’t you tell me that driving it was the goal?
I can’t wait to see it finished.
Please let us know when it’s running, I will make time to drop down to see it when I am on the west coast.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 31 2019, 05:20 PM) *

Didn’t you tell me that driving it was the goal?
I can’t wait to see it finished.
Please let us know when it’s running, I will make time to drop down to see it when I am on the west coast.

Absolutely ...everyone on board here with the "Build progress" will know when it's track ready biggrin.gif In the golden days of print media I would just show up in a (finished) trick car, get some pics snapped, write some copy and BOOM on the magazine racks. Today although with the speed of the internet, trick cars that are hand built... still happen at human speeds . So thank you all for your continued interest in project 9148-gtt thumb3d.gif
moparrob
Thanks for sharing Marty. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
whitetwinturbo
Marty..........I'm not worthy of your workmanship pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Mar 31 2019, 08:02 PM) *

It's not a proper race car without some red registration-marks; these are for quick sight reference for neutral
Click to view attachment

The weld to the left of the N is art.
I marvel at your skill.
I'm friggin' jealous
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 15 2014, 10:48 AM) *

OMG blink.gif . I can't wait to see how that sits in the car. How do you plan to do the engine lid? That is obviously going to stick out the top. Not that I care as I know you have some killer plan. I can't wait to see it man. Seriously sick build aktion035.gif

....somewhat close to this (top view) ball point/napkin sketch; Left and Right grille sections remove independently. Thank you Bruce Stone & Garold for the engine lid grilles, & Chi-town for some misc brake fittings....and Montreal 914 for the targa bar trim biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Sketching our latest Livery...goal is Less = More, I want the GP white to dominate most of the car. P-Crest is not my design, but going to use this "Stained glass " look for the hood crest
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
Small bump in the front suspension progress; Stoptech rotors not happy with the ERP/ 935 style ball joints...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Cary over at Eisenlohr Racing Products (ERP) to the rescue with a pair of custom machined offset rotor-hats, sample on the Left .
Click to view attachment
campbellcj
It always helps to have friends in high places! Crossing fingers!
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 21 2019, 11:09 PM) *

Cary over at Eisenlohr Racing Products (ERP) to the rescue with a pair of custom machined offset rotor-hats, sample on the Left .
Click to view attachment

Looking at Wilwoods?... I've been happy with them....
MATTYLITE
Hello all,

A brief update on our end with where we are, and what we've been up to.

As Marty has mentioned, we're currently dealing with brake fitment.

We had Cary at ERP custom machine us the front hats to extend the rotor outward / away from the lower ball joint for clearance. Now that that issue is behind us, we've centered everything up, and we'll be moving on to wheel measurement!

Disclaimer:The below pictures are from fitting purposes. Missing hardware will not be missing during final install.

IPB Image

Original Hat:

IPB Image

ERP Hat:

IPB Image

ERP Hat clearance:

IPB Image

Caliper fitting:

IPB Image

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks!
-Matt
Maltese Falcon
Small updates for now: our Forgeline GW3R centerlock wheels have arrived at Wheel Enhancement/ L.A.
Will proceed to fine-tune the clearence in the wheel wells, might trim out some excess fiberglass inner-lip of the Sheridan fenders.
12x18" rears and 9.5x18" fronts.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Wow! Serious wheels for sure. They look nice. beerchug.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 21 2019, 04:00 AM) *

Small updates for now: our Forgeline GW3R centerlock wheels have arrived at Wheel Enhancement/ L.A.
Will proceed to fine-tune the clearence in the wheel wells, might trim out some excess fiberglass inner-lip of the Sheridan fenders.

My dream wheels for sure.

I was just trimming my rear fender yesterday to clear my 11x18 with 295 Hoosier tires. But my fenders are bonded and fixed.

I long for that deep dish... pizza.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 21 2019, 06:17 AM) *

Wow! Serious wheels for sure. They look nice. beerchug.gif

Many variants of Forgeline wheels we had to choose from, Thank you Sir ¡
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Sep 21 2019, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 21 2019, 04:00 AM) *

My dream wheels for sure.

I was just trimming my rear fender yesterday to clear my 11x18 with 295 Hoosier tires. But my fenders are bonded and fixed.

I long for that deep dish... pizza.gif

Having dzus fastened Sheridan fenders and Qtr panels...makes the trimming process that much easier; Deep dish like Chicago pizza / the big meats like Arby's laugh.gif
Maltese Falcon
Sketching some of the turbo exhaust routing/ Zork pipes of courseClick to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
Thanks for the updates on this thread. Has to be one of the all-time coolest 914 builds, and the car as well as the creative thinking continues to stun me. Love it!!

QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Jun 25 2019, 12:29 PM) *

ERP Hat clearance:

IPB Image

^ This pic stuck out to me, as it brought up a point made by Porsche engineer recently re: the size of 996 wheel bearings (ring design vs central bearing), and that Porsche really started having problems with wheel bearings on its air-cooled race cars when they went to 17- and then 18-inch wheels. Reason: The front tires, wheels, and brake sizes were asking a lot of a wheel bearing design that dated back to 1963-1964.

If I look at this pic, there's a lot of leverage on that wheel bearing, and while that's true for a 185 or 205 or even 225 front tire, I suspect you'll be at 245-285? There are probably people smarter than me with regards to this, and I suspect race cars with slicks are/were a different proposition—but this is one of those things you just want to be sure you're all good on because it's your safety in the car. Maybe a non issue, but raising it respectfully.

Keep on keepin on...this build is killer!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.