Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
...couple moreClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...last one for now ¡
Everyone have a safe + pleasant Memorial Day; my respect and gratitude to all who serve/ have served flag.gif Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A couple of small detail parts complete: lightweight door-limit stops Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I saw this type of door-limit stop on a vintage 911 ( R gruppe ) at the Rennsport Reunion, so decided to stitch up a set for our 914 F Truppe biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Got a head start on the rear trans support by using this 915 style beam, along with a pair of wevo semi-solid mounts. It will have additional steel gussets added, and will be bolted into the 914 beefed up framework. The inverted 996 gt2 transaxle weighs in at 175 lbs dry.Click to view attachment
Cracker
Its been so long I almost forgot about your mad project! Good to see it going again Marty...merry Christmas and happy new year! Get that crazy thing finished - I can't wait to see it rolling under its own power.

Tony
Maltese Falcon
Prototype basic door-pull , Rennline red nylon lanyard should do the trick.Close match up on the red door-limit stops !Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 23 2017, 03:38 PM) *

Its been so long I almost forgot about your mad project! Good to see it going again Marty...merry Christmas and happy new year! Get that crazy thing finished - I can't wait to see it rolling under its own power.

Tony

Always busy on this project, just not always posting...have a great Holiday Season as well Tony ¡
Larmo63
Wow, I can't wait to see this thing take shape. Looks cray cray so far....!!!

Merry, merry, Marty!!!!!!! wreath.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 23 2017, 04:44 PM) *

Wow, I can't wait to see this thing take shape. Looks cray cray so far....!!!

Merry, merry, Marty!!!!!!! wreath.gif

Thank you Lawrence ! May your Holidays be very Merry, and a great 2018 to you ¡
Marty
EdwardBlume
Merry Christmas Marty! See you at Rennsport Reunion 2018!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Dec 24 2017, 05:34 AM) *

Merry Christmas Marty! See you at Rennsport Reunion 2018!

Enjoy the Holidays Edward ! Rennsport will be awesome, see you there aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
A couple things. First, I love my MSDS headers, you guys are artists! Second, how did I miss this? This is an incredible build! I just went through it, start to finish and I feel like I need to smoke a cigarette! Dear God that’s hot! evilgrin.gif
ablesnead
All those pre- bent pipes...seems wrong ...but a really nice job of wrong...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 24 2017, 09:53 AM) *

A couple things. First, I love my MSDS headers, you guys are artists! Second, how did I miss this? This is an incredible build! I just went through it, start to finish and I feel like I need to smoke a cigarette! Dear God that’s hot! evilgrin.gif

Thank you Rob for choosing my MSDS upgrade products, our crew is not about production line mfg ; each exhaust system is built by a craftsman who takes pride in his work . The 914-8 gtt is also being assembled with MSDS skilled man (and woman) power . There will be a cold one waiting for you ( at our exhibit) , and for all of the 914world members at the meet + greet in Monterey/ Rennsport Reunion 2018 beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Check fit of the Tangerine Racing rear suspension- console strengthening struts/ to any interference at the motor mount cross-bar; check ! Chris makes some awesome products for our cars. Next up; complete the Left and Right side plates of the engine mount. This set up is using the Wevo semi-solid (blue) 914 motor mounts, along with 911 semi solids at the rear to capture the nose of the transaxle. Cameo appearance of checkered Vans, comfy shoes to wear while cruising the Grand National Roadster Show this weekend driving.gif Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
How strong are those motor mounts? A good amount of torque and that bolt may rip through.

My first V8 conversion I used the best 911 mounts on the market (at that time). The first time it was running, I eased the clutch out at idle and ripped the 911 mount apart. I switched to solid steel after that. The mounts looked similar with red bushings.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

Prototype basic door-pull , Rennline red nylon lanyard should do the trick.Close match up on the red door-limit stops !Click to view attachment

If you're looking to save weight, you can cut out the heavy reinforcing bar in the door given the cage you've got to protect you....sweet work!!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 28 2018, 09:49 AM) *

How strong are those motor mounts? A good amount of torque and that bolt may rip through.

My first V8 conversion I used the best 911 mounts on the market (at that time). The first time it was running, I eased the clutch out at idle and ripped the 911 mount apart. I switched to solid steel after that. The mounts looked similar with red bushings.

Absolutely a concern of mine Mike, compared to the mount system that I'm using on the biturbo six (approx 1/2 the hp, and couple hundred pounds lighter) uses; oe rear 9146 trans mounts (nla) for my crossbar engine mount ( these were solid hard neoprene) and custom billet T6 rear solid mounts at the trans. Works great. In this v8 car I don't want to go solid and transfer a lot of vibration into the unibody. I've studied the Wevo design and have spoken to them in detail...it does have a fail safe design where the billet alum center will catch on another billet flange due to a failure of the semi-solid pillow mount. The center bolt is only an issue if the bolt itself fails...much out the ordinary to (but could) occur given the high strength rating of the fastener.
I might go back to solid rear trans mounts if the drivetrain looks spongey when underway smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 28 2018, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Dec 23 2017, 03:39 PM) *

If you're looking to save weight, you can cut out the heavy reinforcing bar in the door given the cage you've got to protect you....sweet work!!

Thank you John...I will actually go back into this primary design of ours wherein we are using quite a bit of h/r and c/r steel in the mfg of brackets and mounting flanges ; remaking these in lighter weight aluminum. The original steel parts will become excellent jig fixtures from which spares can be mfg'd. Lighter is always better, even with big hp cars driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
Made these spacer plates that will fill the side-to-side gaps in the 914 motor-mount buckets. The Wevo mounts (actually rear trans mounts) will be 100% surrounded + supported nowClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another view
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Viewed from the opposite side, as the assembly sits down in the bucket...
Thank you Mike Bellis for putting this "Bug" in my ear...stronger is better !
Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 27 2018, 11:50 PM) *

Check fit of the Tangerine Racing rear suspension- console strengthening struts/ to any interference at the motor mount cross-bar; check ! Chris makes some awesome products for our cars. Next up; complete the Left and Right side plates of the engine mount. This set up is using the Wevo semi-solid (blue) 914 motor mounts, along with 911 semi solids at the rear to capture the nose of the transaxle. Cameo appearance of checkered Vans, comfy shoes to wear while cruising the Grand National Roadster Show this weekend driving.gif Click to view attachment

This is one mod I wish I'd done when my engine was out—along with the outer toe links from PMS or similar.

Beautiful work, Marty!
Mike Bellis
You should make a couple more of those plates with a smaller hole and sandwich that bushing in place. One on either side of the motor mount.

First time you launch that thing, those pretty blue bushings are going to pop out.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 17 2018, 01:01 PM) *

You should make a couple more of those plates with a smaller hole and sandwich that bushing in place. One on either side of the motor mount.

First time you launch that thing, those pretty blue bushings are going to pop out.

So on the other (500+hp flat fan) 914 I'm running similar mounts in the buckets, and solid T6 alum mounts way back at the nose cone. What is your opinion Mike on running solid mounts all around ?...kind of like this v8 when it was originally in a Riley/ Daytona 24 car
first.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 17 2018, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 27 2018, 11:50 PM) *

This is one mod I wish I'd done when my engine was out—along with the outer toe links from PMS or similar.

Beautiful work, Marty!

Thanks Pete for your valued opinion , I also need to install these Tangerine Racing items into the black six. Good opportunity when we have the drivetrain out for clutch replacement idea.gif
Marty
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 17 2018, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 17 2018, 01:01 PM) *

So on the other (500+hp flat fan) 914 I'm running similar mounts in the buckets, and solid T6 alum mounts way back at the nose cone. What is your opinion Mike on running solid mounts all around ?...kind of like this v8 when it was originally in a Riley/ Daytona 24 car
first.gif

Torque will pop it, not HP. That V8 is going to be torquey...

I run solid mounts. I've done this since I drag raced VW's in the 80's. Yes they are louder. But every time I tried poly or rubber, I've broken them.

I'm running a semi-solid in the front. Poly sandwiched between metal. totally solid in the rear. I do hear gear noise but I like it.
MJHanna
Are you going to have it done by rennsport reunion? So we can come bum a beer and get googly eyed look at all your great worK.
MATTYLITE
Well, it's taken a long time to get here, but here we are.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Peek a boo, I see you!

IPB Image

-Matt
RoadGlue
aktion035.gif
Steve
HP to weight, this reminds me more of a motorcycle. Can’t wait to see some track videos from Willow Springs when this is done. Be safe!!!!
Larmo63
WOW. Just wow, Marty. This is coming along nicely!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

By the way, my MSDS headers are a work of art under my car too.

I also used the Tangerine struts when I did my welding. I'm glad I did.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 17 2018, 04:24 PM) *

Are you going to have it done by rennsport reunion? So we can come bum a beer and get googly eyed look at all your great worK.

Beers, bench racing, MSDS products and should be a wicked white 914 in our tent as well driving.gif
Someone needs to bring the 914 World banner, it looked real good hanging in the tent at Renn5 biggrin.gif
Marty
Mueller
Wow, the wife was wondering why I was just using so much foul language right now, that is just so ##$@,-%@#$@%. amazing.

All business, I shall be sending your rear tires early condolence letters.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 26 2018, 09:19 PM) *

Wow, the wife was wondering why I was just using so much foul language right now, that is just so ##$@,-%@#$@%. amazing.

All business, I shall be sending your rear tires early condolence letters.

No cussing in front of the Girls biggrin.gif ...do you think the rears will chirp from 5th to 6th ? thumb3d.gif
horizontally-opposed
This build is beyond cool. And it will sound NUTS through the gears.
My 914
Wow, beautiful engine! Looks great inside that white frame.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 27 2018, 12:14 AM) *

This build is beyond cool. And it will sound NUTS through the gears.

Thank you Pete for the kind words....going through the gears will need to wait ...as we press on with 9148-gtt's build biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
...really appreciate your interest in our build ! Randy, Steve, Lawrence Van and all you guys here for pushing this project along driving.gif
Marty + Matt
mb911
That looks awesome.. Very cool
siverson
Awesome!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(siverson @ Jul 15 2013, 10:44 PM) *

Awesome project!

> Porsche 996 GT2 Transmission

Do you have the basic dimensions of this transmission? Or anyone know where to find them?

- Overall length and width?
- Distance from bell housing to center of axle output flanges?
- Distance between output flanges?

Thanks - I have a new project I'm working on too...

-Steve

Click to view attachment
Note that this view is showing the 996gt2 trans Inverted, drain plug is now vent, and vent is now drain plug. There are also internal mods for proper oiling due to inverted operation...
Sketched this up for you today (not to scale, but good measurements) ...some notes:
A) the 4 bellhousing bolt locations are not the same as on air cooled
transaxles...there are a couple machine shops that can mod the 996 gt2 (bolt locations) for use on an air cooled 6.
B) This large rectangular aluminum area of the trans serves some purpose when in its original position, but I might machine most of it away for better clearence.
C) these threaded 8 x 1.25mm (4 total) bores make for a good start point for the rear trans mount.
D) Oil cooler adds + 3" to side-to-side dimensions...which is approx 8" wide...to 12" dia. at the bellhousing.
E) Starter motor resides on the lower right (pass) side.
Measurement of the outer distance for the drive flanges; Left to Right is 10" (distance between output flanges).
Hope this is of use to you Steve smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I hope you're going to be doing some extra bracing of those rear suspension pickup points....

It looks like they're gonna need all of the help they can get!!!

--DD
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2018, 02:18 PM) *

I hope you're going to be doing some extra bracing of those rear suspension pickup points....

It looks like they're gonna need all of the help they can get!!!

--DD

Dave,
Big catch-net under the drivetrain blink.gif !¡!
Lucky9146
Had a chance to see this beast in person over the weekend and it is quite the build.
Nice work Marty! and great thread! WOW beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Maltese Falcon
Engine mount assemblies in welding jigsClick to view attachment
Mike Bellis
I love jigs. Looks great. Burn 'em in!
Maltese Falcon
Rear transaxle mounting / 2 part system
Left bracket (in fixture) attaches to the inverted trans
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Mount system
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.