Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 3 2022, 11:27 AM) *

@NorCalScott Yes it is a tight fit in there, we worked with our friends Aasco in OC, Calif for the mating of Transaxle + engine. They came up with the billet 19mm thick adapter plate, which didn't cause much loss of space (towards rear of trunk). They also engineered the clutch pack and hydraulic T/O/B. There will still be some angle to the cv's, but we have sourced spec built joints + axles to deal with that.
marty914.jpg

Since we're on the subject. What's your opinion on axle angle? I've read places that these CV joints work perfectly well with angles of 15 degrees and maybe even more. If you look at sand rails, that appears to be true. Some say the angle encourages lubrication. If you could, would you run zero angle? Seems like the natural movement of the suspension would be enough to move the grease around in the CV joint. Also, I've read that it's not a good idea to run plunge CV joints on both the inner and outer locations. That it's better to have either the inner or outer CV a fixed/non-plunging CV to prevent the axle from floating inward and outward as it rotates.
Maltese Falcon
@NorCalScott the c/v joint lube that we are using is Dupont Krytox...and operates between -34° to 288°c., also resistant to "Caking up". Our 300m alloy axles are mfg without the inner-bump (as o.e.) which allow the axles the ability to free float. Also at the end (clip area) we are not use standard Circlip.
Instead we use the (SwayAway) provided Spiral clip.
Given the operating angles we will encounter, plunging c/v's at both ends. Full suspension drop has the rear axle "Droop" at minimum...no where near a standard (long travel) 914 suspension. The drop is just enough to remove tires when up on the airjacks. JRZ makes these Limit adjustments internally in their (nitrogen) shocks.
jd74914
Have you used Krytox before as CV lube? Just wondering. I’m a huge fan of the stuff (I used to have a free supply of ‘expired’ Krytox courtesy of NASA regulations) and have used it everywhere from skateboard bearings to pipe threads to bike bottom brackets, but never thought above CVs.
Maltese Falcon
@jd74914 Jim, yes I was informed of this lubricant by 2 of the race shops I've been associated with. They found out about it through their Indy car friends, and use it for their Porsche IMSA clients c/v joints. Yes it is Mil-Spec and pricey...good that you can get it (out of date) cheap ! For us car guys >>just keep it capped up tight, it lasts a long time.
Marty
jd74914
That's pretty cool!

A tube does go a long way. smile.gif
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 3 2022, 11:14 PM) *

@jd74914 Jim, yes I was informed of this lubricant by 2 of the race shops I've been associated with. They found out about it through their Indy car friends, and use it for their Porsche IMSA clients c/v joints. Yes it is Mil-Spec and pricey...good that you can get it (out of date) cheap ! For us car guys >>just keep it capped up tight, it lasts a long time.
Marty

After going down the Krytox internet rabbit hole, I'm curious which formula you use if you don't mind sharing. My guess is the GPL 227.
Maltese Falcon
#K-24115
NorCalScott
Thanks. I didn't even see that one in my research. There are too many. But judging by prices, that little tub must be $$$$$.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Jan 6 2022, 11:23 AM) *

Thanks. I didn't even see that one in my research. There are too many. But judging by prices, that little tub must be $$$$$.

You can lube 8 joints with that 1) tub...@ $210.00 (2019 price)
So...not that expensive for the right stuff smile.gif
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 6 2022, 06:16 PM) *

I can definitely see why people pay the extra for it after reading some of the testimonials on various forums. Expensive grease, but cheap insurance in the racing world.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Jan 6 2022, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 6 2022, 06:16 PM) *

I can definitely see why people pay the extra for it after reading some of the testimonials on various forums. Expensive grease, but cheap insurance in the racing world.

Everything goes smoother with good lube. biggrin.gif

Can we buy some of the expired stuff from you?

Clay
Maltese Falcon
@ClayPerrine I'll shoot you a PM this weekend !
marty914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
While I've been pulling wires + cables, these are the 2 pressure switches (lower) for Low o/p Big Red light; the other (upper) for Fasten seat belt light...which starts illuminating at 7 psi boost.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Low o/p Red light (gear selection indicator just opposite), and Fasten seat belt light in the stock location
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Cllasshttps://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/teefitting2.php build.. those ??
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapa...teefitting2.php
Maltese Falcon
@sixnotfour I keep a good assortment of weatherhead brass 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" npt fittings (and flare end) here at the shop for all sorts of air, hydraulic, repairs and projects.
Also have several mfg shops within 4 miles of the shop for all sorts of custom made lines: fluids, hydraulics, or air pressure.
Thx for the linky link !
marty914.jpg
AZBanks
I like the Cayenne engine but I think this engine would be even better.

https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1984-mc...e-tag-f1-engine
Maltese Falcon
@AZBanks these folks "Lanzante Limited" already have the McLaren engines stuffed into their small production of the Niki Lauda tribute 930's...but you're correct Very Cool !
Click to view attachment

Maltese Falcon
Lanzante Limited exhibit parked directly across from the MSDS / 9148gtt tent at the last Rennsport Reunion 2018.
Did you check these out @AZBanks while you were there ¿
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Looks like there's another engine available for them:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/44237/buy-thi...il-swap-project
AZBanks
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 15 2022, 06:10 AM) *

Lanzante Limited exhibit parked directly across from the MSDS / 9148gtt tent at the last Rennsport Reunion 2018.
Did you check these out @AZBanks while you were there ¿

Oh, Yeah, I saw them and fell in love.
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 13 2022, 06:06 PM) *

the other (upper) for Fasten seat belt light...which starts illuminating at 7 psi boost.
Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 15 2022, 07:04 AM) *

@AZBanks these folks "Lanzante Limited" already have the McLaren engines stuffed into their small production of the Niki Lauda tribute 930's...but you're correct Very Cool !
Click to view attachment

That's pretty insane.
Maltese Falcon
Low o/p Light sending unit fits snug, right under the left corner of engine compartment
Click to view attachment
NS914
Me too...the work is on another level of course but I am truly thankful for all of the posting...your development work and just a ton of ideas are so cool!

Regards, Grant

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 20 2020, 08:42 AM) *

I just love this build! beerchug.gif

Maltese Falcon
Thank you guys @NS914 @Cairo94507 for the good words, this is a fun proj !!
Marty
Maltese Falcon
added another port for 1 more o/p sending unit
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Left and right side oil cooler support brackets in the making
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Slipping on the CV boots on to the sway-away axles are a bit of a grunt, so I implemented a few tricks;
a bit of contractors tape covering the sharp splines, well greased
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
For the "Push + Twist" a small piece of 10 ga. Insulsted stranded wire (used in construction wiring) coiled around and inserted over the last 2 bellows on the boot. Good point of persuasion & no collapsing (or damage) of the rubber. Note discoloration on the bellows are not cracks...just the mfg "Wax" coming off.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
One axle ready for c/v's
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Cool tricks.
Maltese Falcon
The bigger sending unit will serve the analogue VDO o/p gauge. The Haltech Elite mgmt does have an o/p readout that is on the Racetech IQ3 dash...however I do like a quick glance at an old school gauge smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Adding components in and around the engine bay...
Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
What are these bolts for? I've never seen a set up like that.

Thanks! beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
BillJ
Guessing for ease of access to the drivetrain? Removal and reinstall?
Maltese Falcon
@krazykonrad @BillJ when we took our LBP engine measurements directly off of their built Cayenne v8 engines in their shop, the specs were based on their (flush) c/f cam housing covers [see yellow dots]. The absence of variable cam timing in their Daytona-spec engines was dictated by GCR's of 2010, so they didn't use the OE alum housings (with a bump-out contour). Our engine also features non-vario cam, but they just deactivate and lock them down during the engine build. When our engine shipment arrived we then found out that we didn't get the (very cool) c/f cam covers...but already built the interior cage to the specs of the flush c/f covers = interference once we tried to land the engine in there.
So we re-engineered, newly mandrel formed, then tiG'd the new bolt-in portion of the cage (at the firewall)...which will allow us more access to service the engine.
Click to view attachment

Maltese Falcon
LBP v8 engine that was built for us arrived with these OE style cam cover housings. Yellow dots show the difference (from prev post) now with extra protrusions (vario cam style), that we had to deal with...redesigning a portion of the cage.
Click to view attachment
BillJ
That engine is one slick looking piece of hardware. Love the engineering in this build been watching since inception.
Maltese Falcon
thumb3d.gif thank you @BillJ !
Maltese Falcon
The "7psi boost" Fasten seat belt pressure switch bolted into the engine bay
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Setting up the "Phasing" of the 930 cv joints + Swayaway axles prior to installing them. A piece of .125 × 1" flatbar alum is the donor straight edge for the job. I use 1 gold dot= to indicate narrow area of the (inner) joint / 2 gold dots= wider area.
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 13 2022, 06:26 PM) *

Setting up the "Phasing" of the 930 cv joints + Swayaway axles prior to installing them. A piece of .125 × 1" flatbar alum is the donor straight edge for the job. I use 1 gold dot= to indicate narrow area of the (inner) joint / 2 gold dots= wider area.
Click to view attachment

I didn't know that was a thing. Can you please explain a little more? Why it's done? How it's done? Thanks!
Dave_Darling
The "how" is pretty obvious. When you assemble the CV joints, you mark the outside where the wider and narrower gaps in the inner race. Then when you slide the joint onto the splines on the shaft, you make sure they are lined up so that the one side wide gap lines up with the other side's narrow gap.

As to "why", that I don't know. I speculate that it's a vibration-elimination kind of thing, like phasing the U-joints on a driveshaft. But CV joints aren't supposed to need that--it's one of the reasons for using CV joints, after all.

What's the real reason, Marty?

--DD
NorCalScott
Click to view attachment Are these the narrow and wide gaps you're referring to?
NorCalScott
Click to view attachment or these? which essentially is the same thing as long they're opposite each other I guess.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Apr 14 2022, 04:47 PM) *

Click to view attachment Are these the narrow and wide gaps you're referring to?

@Dave_Darling Correct on the Wide and Narrow areas towards the outer portion of cv housing, for this "Phase" procedure. Most cv joint (stock operational angles) do not require this set up, but can't hurt to set up this way. The 930 joints (housing, cage + ball bearings) that I'm using are referred to as Deep-plunging and will operate at higher than stock angles. With the Phasing, I will gain another +3° to 4° of range, over the operational range of 15+°. The more-than-desired axle angles are created by the drive-flange locations of the "Flipped" 996gt2 transaxle, and me not wanting to lower it closer to the ground.
Same type of cv's are in use on 1,000+hp LS v8 sand rails...these are sourced from McKenzies Offroad in OC, California. Several Youtubes are online with DIY's for 930/ 934 cv joint phasing.
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 14 2022, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Apr 14 2022, 04:47 PM) *

@Dave_Darling Correct on the Wide and Narrow areas towards the outer portion of cv housing, for this "Phase" procedure. Most cv joint (stock operational angles) do not require this set up, but can't hurt to set up this way. The 930 joints (housing, cage + ball bearings) that I'm using are referred to as Deep-plunging and will operate at higher than stock angles. With the Phasing, I will gain another +3° to 4° of range, over the operational range of 15+°. The more-than-desired axle angles are created by the drive-flange locations of the "Flipped" 996gt2 transaxle, and me not wanting to lower it closer to the ground.
Same type of cv's are in use on 1,000+hp LS v8 sand rails...these are sourced from McKenzies Offroad in OC, California. Several Youtubes are online with DIY's for 930/ 934 cv joint phasing.

Thanks Dave! Makes sense and I'll check it out on YT. I had never heard of this before. One other thing I've heard is that plunging CV joints shouldn't be used on both the inner AND outer locations because the axle can tend to move inward and outward constantly, which is implied to be a bad thing, but it sounds like Marty and yourself aren't using a fixed CV joint at all and it's perfectly fine.
NorCalScott
I went back through this build thread again looking for pics of the pedals you're using, but couldn't find anything. Did I miss it or have you not posted anything on that yet? Just curious what pedal setup and master cylinders you're using. Not boosted I assume?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ May 26 2022, 12:17 PM) *

I went back through this build thread again looking for pics of the pedals you're using, but couldn't find anything. Did I miss it or have you not posted anything on that yet? Just curious what pedal setup and master cylinders you're using. Not boosted I assume?

Here's the inventory* on the Tilton foot-pedal equip. It's all floor mount and I've made a few changes to the uneven 914 floorboard= will make for a better install/ operation. Not a vac boosted brake system.
The 3 different size (bores) master cylinders are matched for the requirements of the brakes; Front (6 piston), Rear (4 piston), and clutch.
*Pegasus Racing is my go to place*
So it's on the To-Do list...but all sourced !
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.