Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
Good point Pete, and the wheel-bearing design-reference back to the '60s is a good point. The air cool era design could be inferior to the (newer) 996 design...however I'm using the latest ( slightly larger) bearing/ hub from the '87-89 Carrera. It's just one more wear + tear item on the car (as are the rear T- arm bearings) that will be inspected and changed out throughout the season of club racing.
I'll run this by my suspension guru Cary as well.
Appreciate your enthusiasm in our build project !
Lucky9146
Just catching up on this thread.
Simply stunning Marty, absolutely love all you are doing.
I think the build is the most fun part, figuring everything out along the way is what really drives people to improve on things.
Congrats of continued progress and thanks for posting! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
JRZ performs this (RSR) structural "Gusset" mod to the late 911 Carrera struts when you order their shock absorber system. A bit more strength...I'll run with these & change out the bearings as needed.
Note; the excess black coating on the spindle is removed prior to use.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Checking it twice ; updated the Haltech Elite 2500 with mods to the 8 coil pack grounds (-)
ECU cables/ control boxes going in first/ basic car wiring going in secondarily.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Sep 22 2019, 06:19 PM) *

Just catching up on this thread.
Simply stunning Marty, absolutely love all you are doing.
I think the build is the most fun part, figuring everything out along the way is what really drives people to improve on things.
Congrats of continued progress and thanks for posting! beerchug.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Jim driving.gif thumb3d.gif !!
Maltese Falcon
Another Gran Prix white with v8 Cayenne power, this is the Riley from 2010 Daytona era . Action Express team/ Lozano Bros. Porting engine !
Click to view attachment
Matty900
Such an awesome build Marty & Matt. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help beerchug.gif
MATTYLITE
Thank you! We cannot express our gratitude enough to you guys over at 914 Rubber for the products we have on our project. Top notch quality all the way.

-Matt

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 24 2019, 09:24 PM) *

Such an awesome build Marty & Matt. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help beerchug.gif

Maltese Falcon
Merting of the minds with Brian, founder of Sway-a-way products. Axel discussions ...lots of good info from him !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Since I haven't ordered custom length axels in a long time, Brian suggested this fail-safe measuring method: cut an old axel in 1/2, set into a 1 1/4" piece of angle iron, and using 2 gear-clamps (to hold final length in place)...measure the distance between c/v joints. Measurements taken in full rear suspension droop. The 996gt2 transaxle is not mfg with an off center case...so measurements will be within a 1/16" or so Left axel and Right axel lengths. Working direct with Sway-a-Way (approx 30 min from msds,inc) helps a lot too ! Our new axels are being made from 300M alloy, and have more spline (broach) lengths at both ends, so they float as opposed to being circlipped in place. Only using 1 circlip at the trailing arm side.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
While waiting on axels...I jumped back on the left & right engine grill.
It's 2 seperate lift-off type.
Setting up some support plates and frame; transferring the grill-pattern (for 8/32 bolt holes) via spray paint ...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Drill transfer( grill pattern ) now visible on the 16 ga. metal side bracket. The lift-off grill sections will include the small side grill (next to targa sail) lifting out simultaneously.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Left and Right grill brace plates
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
How the right side prototype looks, the 3/4" aluminum channel is the main backbone where the next section of grill is mounted to ; kind of like building a gt grill with an extra section of material ( donor grill).Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Extra benefit from the VW/ Karmann mfg of our 914s; the prongs on these engine grills are nothing more than roof-nails...cost effective !!
With a bit of coaxing...I was able to put a 3mm die on these, and now have xlnt anchor points for fastening all of this puzzle together.Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Makes for a neat assembly...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I know that there is a Snap-on brand tool for removing these darn rubberized fasteners, but I just fabbed one up in 10 min...
Thank you Bruce Stone & Garold S. for being the Grill Sargents !!
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
More on the twin lift-off grills as I make progress...now onto the custom rear tow-loop. GCR's in my club won't allow the 914 tow hook, and Rennline does not mfg a rear tow-loop for 914. 911 size thread is different...so built one this way:
Pegasus online has the SCCA approved loop diameter, made for the Ford Fiesta, but no threaded portion. I cut one of Auto Atlanta's new tow hooks then welded it to a machined piece of 3/4" barstock , it is durable and flips down when not needed. Same spot in the rear bumper as always !
Shown not yet fully TiG welded...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Folded down at 90° when not in use...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Pre-fitting Right side, make a few small adjustments, finish in satin-black, then black rubber edging, and add 2 hood pins...this is how I rock the 914 grill
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Driver side grill
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Aluminum block adapters for outer hood-pins
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Rears looking grippy
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Front wheel & tire
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Some fun with center caps
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Body in white
Click to view attachment
eric9144
drooley.gif pray.gif
Maltese Falcon
Pre-fitting drivers side header (prototype is c/r steel)...production headers are made from stainless steel. View is looking upwards from ground level.
Tangerine Racing rear-suspension-console Bar in place !

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Wheels look killer! Love the grill fab and cant wait to see the full exhaust!!
Maltese Falcon
Right side prototype exhaust header ; the 4 tubes gather into the collector following the ignition firing order in a circular (rotational) pattern. This gives an extra swirl to the scavenging action and extra exhaust velocity towards the turbine inlet. Firing order is 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8 . SO the R side fires: port 1,3,2,4 and the L side fires: port 7,6,5,8. Of course true 180° crossover headers would be 100% firing order tuned, but with the natural back-pressure created at the turbine inlets = nothing gained AND this would be a packaging + heat building fiasco in the confines of tight available space.
Click to view attachment
moparrob
Very sweet, I would like to see your ultimate jig for that set up.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(moparrob @ Mar 17 2020, 10:31 PM) *

Very sweet, I would like to see your ultimate jig for that set up.

Jigs already in the welding/ fabrication dept. !¡
180° crossover SB Chev exhaust headers, n/a, firing order
Random media pic/not our mfg.

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
That will sound awesome. Can hardly wait to hear it run.
Jeff Hail
This is what happens when Marty shelters in place.

Coming along very nice.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 19 2020, 07:57 AM) *

This is what happens when Marty shelters in place.

Coming along very nice.

Jeff; as a Maltese Falcon needs to do occasionally biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 19 2020, 07:14 AM) *

That will sound awesome. Can hardly wait to hear it run.

Mike...there are a couple youTubes out there with Lozano engine/ Action Express (v8) Rileys running around...they do sound righteous!
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Several items that will go into this build ; id plates, stickers, emblems,
dig the 91 octane sticker biggrin.gif . The door jamb plate will be stamped L 908 (Grand Prix white), and also with the assembly # from the original rear trunk floor stamp #.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The stamped # in rear trunk floor assembly was carefully saved during the metal surgery on 9148gtt; then welded back into place in the rear trunk area. Small details are big deals on our build !

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
Now that's what I'm talking about... Now you have put another smile on my face. I have no idea when I will be able to get back out to LA , you know Marty, I used to drool all over a sexy black teener with a horizontal fan. Then I find the same guy with a VW van with a 3.2 in it at Pomona. The headers on AR 14 I got from Marty in 05. Don't forget that he also built turbo kits for the 914's in the '70's. Now I believe that he and his son are building the cleanest, badass 914 in existence (IMHO).
I'm building a car out in left field, yes unique and quiet imaginative but my finish is mediocre.
Marty's products are AWESOME... I can't wait to see all the horses in this stable together ❤️.
Dion
The Saturn V rocket build of the 914 world.
Awesome Marty!
JRust
chowtime.gif Damn that is looking sweet! I cannot wait to hear you fire that up aktion035.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Mar 29 2020, 02:32 AM) *

Now that's what I'm talking about... Now you have put another smile on my face. I have no idea when I will be able to get back out to LA , you know Marty, I used to drool all over a sexy black teener with a horizontal fan. Then I find the same guy with a VW van with a 3.2 in it at Pomona. The headers on AR 14 I got from Marty in 05. Don't forget that he also built turbo kits for the 914's in the '70's. Now I believe that he and his son are building the cleanest, badass 914 in existence (IMHO).
I'm building a car out in left field, yes unique and quiet imaginative but my finish is mediocre.
Marty's products are AWESOME... I can't wait to see all the horses in this stable together ❤️.

Thank you Joe for the kind words smile.gif
I am missing your 914 cook-outs, and that bitchin blue six driving.gif
Watch out for them gators !
Marty
Maltese Falcon
As we are now with wheels + tires, today setting the total "Droop stop" limit of JRZ shock travel. We have 9" ram extension length on the Genesis air-jacks.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...apply about 100 psi of air (or nitrogen) for activation = aOK .
Def keep all fingers away from these bad boys biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
There goes another smile on my face... Marty, I am coming to the Black and White Show.
Maybe I can bring AR 14 out and do A/X with the PCA OCR at the same time or something else just as eventful... You have much more work to do than I do. Probably going to take me more than a year but you'll be done first.
Maltese Falcon
Schriftzug on the grills, but will probably be placed elsewhere on the build
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Pipe dreams = reality...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Driver's side header prototype, 1.75" od primaries
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Lookin' back at it biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
..............trunk full of SNAKES. w00t.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.