Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
Fitment on to the grill, it's all about representing the 914 '70's Style smile.gif
Click to view attachment
pete000
Your fabrication is pure Art, outstanding !
Maltese Falcon
Making custom brackets to hold the Aviaid 12 quart oil tank in its new home
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Time for the DuPont Krytox grease + c/v joints to meet
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
More main chassis wiring, this 8-gang cable will serve the rear tail lamp housings, trans temp + water temp gauges, low O/P warning light (big red one)
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Reverse light switch connection
Click to view attachment
eric9144
Nice Oil tank location, cool that you have room to put it there, I'd imagine there's a lot less plumbing that way first.gif
Keep it coming! beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 21 2021, 12:57 PM) *

Nice Oil tank location, cool that you have room to put it there, I'd imagine there's a lot less plumbing that way first.gif
Keep it coming! beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif

Just enough room there for a .250" piece of aluminum plate which will help keep oil tank damage to a minimum, in the event of a wayward axle sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ May 21 2021, 01:53 PM) *

Just enough room there for a .250" piece of aluminum plate which will help keep oil tank damage to a minimum, in the event of a wayward axle sad.gif

Errant axles can wreak havoc alright. Lost a transmission in my 914 when a CV knocked the starter clean off the bell housing.... wacko.gif

This project continues to amaze!! smilie_pokal.gif
Curbandgutter
Amazing work there Marty. You certainly have set the bar very high!! beerchug.gif By the way, where did you source the expanded metal. The one I've been able to source looks like yours but it appears to be a lighter gauge.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ May 21 2021, 03:32 PM) *

Amazing work there Marty. You certainly have set the bar very high!! beerchug.gif By the way, where did you source the expanded metal. The one I've been able to source looks like yours but it appears to be a lighter gauge.

Hi Rudy, when I built the engine grills, several alternative suppliers of expanded metal were considered. The final style that won was of course the OE 914 grill. I used 2 914 grills to come up with what you see in the pics; sourced through
@Garoldshaffer and @Bdstone914
There's something about retaining a bit of old school 914 charm biggrin.gif
Maltese Falcon
Rear viewing camera location is the former trunk latch
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Very helpful when suited up with Hans Device and backing up; and as a big screen rear view mirror !
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Man this car looks so trick, everything is how Porsche would have done it. I love it! That rear view camera is going to be so useful. How big is the screen for it? Thanks by the way on that expanded metal. I'll have to source it differently since I need quite a bit of it.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ May 29 2021, 12:41 PM) *

Man this car looks so trick, everything is how Porsche would have done it. I love it! That rear view camera is going to be so useful. How big is the screen for it? Thanks by the way on that expanded metal. I'll have to source it differently since I need quite a bit of it.

Rudy, the screen is approx 6 x 10", and will accept a total of 2 camera inputs...so another camera placement will be a future option.
Have a good 3 day Holiday...I know you'll be in that garage welder.gif
Maltese Falcon
Made these quick-release connection circuits for the rear tail-lamp housings. Since the Left and Right housings are removed whenever the quarter panels are R+R, this system is way quicker than messing with 10 push-on connections. Yes this car comes with a new color coded schematic, several of them smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Small but major issue with the spec-mfg C/V boot -flange and 10mm bolts; just not made right ! The dia of the boot "Seat" where the clamp pulls the boot tight, is so tall that the bolts get canted...so one can not work the bolts into the joints. Even worse deflection when the clamp is installed.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Making some custom rings from 2 ¹/²" sched 40 steel pipe
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Then using a small piece of 2 ¹/²" c/r .065" tubing, swedged to slip into the c/v boot flange, place the rings on the opposite ends for a New clamping area, =straighter shot for the bolts
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Just need to finish welding these components together, coat and get back to fitting the 300M Sway-Away axles to the rocket. Bolts are happy and can enter horizontally/ non binding
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
More wiring/ more Firesleeve, just about everything running through the mid and rear area of this build will need good protection...hotter than Mrs. Fields cookie kitchen biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Curbandgutter
Wow just wow..........Man the level of craftmanship here is way up there! Beautiful, beautiful work. cheer.gif beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Going to use this Gen-2 style; made from sched 40 2 1/2" pipe
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Nice snug fit
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Inside view
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Setting up for MIG welding in the "Rotator"
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Burn 'em in !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
1 down , 3 to go
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A little throw back to my days spent down at Lions Dragstrip. This fender cover has been on all of my proj's, since Nov. '71. It was the "Doorprize " for my run that Sunday morning !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
'69 SS 350 with some "Work"
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 4 2021, 12:17 AM) *

American Racing 'Daiseys'....... mmmm

And of course your work is outstanding ....as always.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 4 2021, 08:41 AM) *

Thank you Sir ! it only took me 2 years to make this E/T improvement (over showroom stock).
The Traco valve train components, head gaskets and some keen advice from Travis & Coons !¡
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Finished products !
Click to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 4 2021, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 4 2021, 08:41 AM) *

Thank you Sir ! it only took me 2 years to make this E/T improvement (over showroom stock).
The Traco valve train components, head gaskets and some keen advice from Travis & Coons !¡
Click to view attachment

That's quite the bump! The Traco complete engines were absolutely amazing in their power output and those parts and their advice are proof.
Maltese Falcon
Was totally worth the learning curve on that SBC 350 @mgp4591 , the Traco guys welcomed local gearheads to share knowledge with; at the rear roll up door on Jefferson Bl. usually with an engine on the dyno at full song. Their immense back parking lot shared parking with the "Suits" from Hughes Aerospace (just up the hill)...and Travis + Coons were friends with all of those "Pocket Protector" dudes as well.
At my 1971 pay scale of $1.85/ hr., here I am with my prized Craftsman torque wrench !!
After the heads went back on, the following Sunday at Lions in eliminations, I took out a 12 car group of Z28's from San Diego smile.gif
Fenton mags on the car at this period @rgalla9146

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Last of my Camaro thread hi-jack...
Traco built the TransAm engines for Roger Penske (Javelins + Camaros) so I embarked on building a Street tribute to Sunoco Camaro chassis #9908H046
(Sold for approx $1M in 2016).
I sketched out this thumbnail sheet in late '73, but the project never got rolling. Around New Years Eve '74, I lost the Camaro in an understeer slide in Laurel Canyon and she never tracked the same since the impact. My neighbor loved the car and off it went; I took delivery on a new 914/ 2.0 in February '74.
Click to view attachment
flat4guy
Great build thread - I recall seeing this car at Monterey Historic races several years ago
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Sep 7 2021, 07:34 PM) *

Great build thread - I recall seeing this car at Monterey Historic races several years ago

Complete with acid-dipped body, wherein Penske added the weight back into other Strategic suspension-to-roll cage points...in order to stay within legal weight limits. GM had their engineering Hands in Penske's TransAm Camaros as well.
Win on Sunday / sell cars on Monday !
Marty
Maltese Falcon
New Year's Eve, time for one more sketch; rear trunk area. Several things going on, hope y'all can read my chicken scratches ! Most of these components have already been sourced...the intercooler dimensions will be determined (then custom built) once the final placement of the turbos are sitting in place.
In the last few months we've been making + routing the custom wiring harness throughout the car.
Have a great and Happy New Year everyone !
Marty & Matthew marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott

Thanks for the update! Been awhile. I've been checking a couple times a week. Either you need to update more often or I need to get a life. lol. Can't wait to see some new pics.
Maltese Falcon
Wiring a car def not boring, but Yes lots of time on target !
Maltese Falcon
Easy but not painless...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Junk in the trunk...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...more pics as we make more progress smile.gif
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
The car is looking great! It looks like it's getting sooooo close to being done. I can't wait. Thanks for the pics.
krazykonrad
I love watching this build. All the best for 2022!

Konrad
Maltese Falcon
That's it for Sunday !
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
It's still a little surprising to see the V8 essentially fit in the same space as the flat 4. It doesn't even look like the motor is crammed up against the firewall or the transaxle is moved back to make more room for the motor.
Maltese Falcon
@NorCalScott Yes it is a tight fit in there, we worked with our friends Aasco in OC, Calif for the mating of Transaxle + engine. They came up with the billet 19mm thick adapter plate, which didn't cause much loss of space (towards rear of trunk). They also engineered the clutch pack and hydraulic T/O/B. There will still be some angle to the cv's, but we have sourced spec built joints + axles to deal with that.
marty914.jpg
Curbandgutter
WOW Marty looking amazing!!! That thing is going to be brutal. Twin Turbo V8 damn!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.