Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Maltese Falcon
Our good friend Harry Wong (center) known here as 914six, came by to visit the build-in-progress a couple of weeks ago. Last week Harry suddenly took ill, had a stroke and passed the next day* sad.gif
I've known Harry since 1983, where we met at the (night time) monumental Last Drag Race at OCIR...which was demo'd the following week. In the foreground of this pic is our mutual friend Alex Wong, owner of Pre-Tech independent Porsche service in Marina del Rey.
*If you are a local in SoCal, and would like to attend his services on 05.09.23, pm me for details ; Forest Lawn, Glendale.

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
RIP sad.gif

Another young one... sad2.gif

Those who have driving 914s, enjoy them everyday!
BillJ
Sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing and celebrating a member.
914-300Hemi
Very sad to hear the news. Condolences to the family
Maltese Falcon
Plugging in
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Small 6-gang fuse & SQS shifter-module sub-panel in engine ; this was the prev 12v battery area.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Top view, quick-disconnect is to isolate the SQS shift-module from B+ during jump starting (if needed).
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
sad.gif RIP Mr. Harry Wong.
Shivers
I'm sorry Marty, that is a bummer...RIP The car looks great.
Just buried my Dad in December from the freakin same thing. But he was 95. It's insidious, talk to your doctors, my Dad had his first stroke at 75 and spent the next 20 years all stroked out. sad.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 29 2023, 05:49 AM) *

I'm sorry Marty, that is a bummer...RIP The car looks great.
Just buried my Dad in December from the freakin same thing. But he was 95. It's insidious, talk to your doctors, my Dad had his first stroke at 75 and spent the next 20 years all stroked out. sad.gif

Our condolences to you & Family on your loss.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Oil control "Junction" located just below left end of engine grill, now hooked up to the custom chassis wire harness. These senders go to the oil-pressure + oil-temp gauges/ low oil-pressure warning light.
The Haltech Elite engine management also displays this info, but I do like several analog gauges to quickly glance while under way at speed.
Click to view attachmentt
Maltese Falcon
Body shop forgot to mask-up a few chassis studs, including these two where I was installing a bracket for these oil pressure/ temp senders. Tight quarters...but got the 6x1mm thread die in there for a proper clean up !
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Body shop def did not skimp on the paint thickness, lots of debris packed on those studs
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Tidying up electric cables running into cabin
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Checking operation of low Oil Press warning light
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Testing the 49 year old Fasten Seat Belt light...this will illuminate with onset of 7 psi of turbo boost smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
I have this "Mechanical" 962 style boost adjustment unit (dampf-rad) but not going to integrate with our Haltec management ecu; as the ecu monitors + adjusts wastegate boost limits via electronic potentiometer + solenoid activation. So I've found a machinist who makes extra Top adjustment knobs> so I won't need to steal one off of my complete 962 valve which is going on the flat-fan biturbo.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
962 style adjustment knob, now grafted to the variable pot'. This will operate 2 solenoids wired to operate 2 Tial wastegates, as this is a twin turbo build.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
8gtt keys only operate the door locks...car is using a push-button starter
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Left side shorty turbo header in place
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Header finished in high temp Satin Black ceramic coat.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Under shot pic
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
EGT probe, o2 port/ pre-exhaust turbine sampling location. Secondary o2 ports go on the turbine outlet exhaust pipes.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Dunkin and my style of coffee break...
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Something came up towards the end of September, and there were plenty of these flat 12 cylinder air cooled racers all gathered there>>took a break from the 8gtt
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
We were honored to bring the #40 to the gig
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
One week off of work on 9148-gtt, this Rennsport gig only comes around every 5 years or so.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Pairing up with the Gulf 917 for exhibition laps
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
And just as the trip (3 in the 914) to Victory lane in 1970, we followed suit and @MATTYLITE riding shotgun...we finished off Rennsport7 and now back to the 8gtt build biggrin.gif
Photo credit @saramdietrich
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 14 2023, 10:12 PM) *

And just as the trip (3 in the 914) to Victory lane in 1970, we followed suit and @MATTYLITE riding shotgun...we finished off Rennsport7 and now back to the 8gtt build biggrin.gif
Photo credit @saramdietrich
Click to view attachment

Living the life and carrying the word. Good on ya Marty!!
Shivers
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 14 2023, 09:57 PM) *

Pairing up with the Gulf 917 for exhibition laps
Click to view attachment

Oh my Dog Marty. Priceless

Congratulations
KELTY360
Maybe I missed it Marty, but I don't think you've told us what it's like driving #40 on the track.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 15 2023, 02:06 PM) *

Maybe I missed it Marty, but I don't think you've told us what it's like driving #40 on the track.

Marc she runs like on rails, pulls hard from about 3,700 rpm and we were shifting at approx 7,300 rpm.
Not on slicks and exhibit laps only, so I'd say we only ran our daily 4 laps at 70% of potential. Oil temps were normal throughout the course. Gear ratios that we chose in the 901 overhaul were perfect for this track, and the tail shifter performed flawlessly. First time under power since leaving Aase Motors and extremely pleased with the engine, trans, suspension overhaul.
number40_914.jpg

Maltese Falcon
@MATTYLITE and me bumped into Ravi today @914-300Hemi at the annual Galpin Motors car show in Van Nuys !
Click to view attachment
krazykonrad
You are living the dream! beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Addressing the Haltech Elite2500 ecu & some of the accessory and C-A-N cables /from and to the IQ3 Racepak dashboard
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Complete and ready to plug in and move to the next component
rick 918-S
I like the sticker can I get one? beerchug.gif Love the headers.
Maltese Falcon
Cables snapped into the IQ3 Racepak dash, with slack wires for easier component maintenance.
Next up GPS antenna routing for heads up speedo display.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Not a final placement of the GPS /speedometer antenna, but it will be on the dash, facing upwards towards windshield.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
and another small component which works with the antenna signals, then interfaces into the ecu. MPH (or KPH) Speeds are determined by how fast the 914 travels between 2 satellites smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
My "Good night" book for reading this evening...probably the 4th or 5th time I've read it.. Always find something new and interesting from Mark!
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
What's behind us is Important so: rear facing camera feed. Just looking at placement options
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A few improvements to the camera circuit, easier now to mount + access the small enclosed fuse.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Routing the camera coax line through small passages...less drilling is always good ! Black cable sits in a small groove inbetween the cowl + dash top.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Routing the ¼" camera wire cable in the dashboard gap
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
This is the custom right side coolant line cover-plate that Ben @mb911 mfg for us. It's perfect for our use, and since I've elongated the oe opening.. only a small 2×3" piece of sheet is needed to seal it up.
Thank you Ben for the pair of cover-plates biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Let's make a boost-solenoid bracket
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Basic layout.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Ready for engine bay mounting, then finish hooking into the ecu wire harness.
The upper 6mm bolt at the top of bracket will be a fastening point for 1 of the fire suppression nozzles.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.