Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
NorCalScott
Cool. Nice setup. This has been my favorite build since discovering it a few years ago. It's looking awesome, can't wait to see it with wheels and tires at ride height. It's going to look freakin amazing! Thanks for sharing!
Maltese Falcon
The new (custom hand made) main vehicle electrical harness is about ½ way wired. Haltech Elite 2500 ecu/mgmt harness is done and its installation will follow up after this is done.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Non stop wiring...so this is small bracket that I came up with; keeps the crank trigger (small white) coax cable from running up into the alternator pulley/or belt. The #16 Goodridge firesleeve contains: the trigger cable, a couple grounds, the B+ charging cable* from alt to battery.
*B+ using a HD silicon insulated cable combined with another anti chaffe insulater inside the Goodridge...gotta be safe !
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
When you say trigger wire, is that for the alternator or crank?
Maltese Falcon
@tazz9924 crank trigger, follow the white cable smile.gif
Click to view attachment
tazz9924
Some times high current wires like the main alternator wire can mess with the crank signal. Im not an expert, but i think a lot of times the cam and crank sort of get their own harness to prevent interference.
tygaboy
So long as the sensors run shielded cable, properly grounded, they should be good in terms of draining any noise. I can't read the product lableing on that white wire (other than "Made in USA") but it certainly looks like the proper stuff. I'm betting Marty has this covered...
Maltese Falcon
@tygaboy @tazz9924 thanks for looking out for me...good to have the "World's eyes" here for constructive critique !
Yes the coax shielding on the Haltech Elite (white trigger cable) is grounded at both ends of its run + I'll also check in with their tech nearby in Lake Forest.
If needed this small 18" run can be pulled out of the firesleeve in a minute + run independent
marty914.jpg
jd74914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2022, 10:48 AM) *

@tygaboy @tazz9924 thanks for looking out for me...good to have the "World's eyes" here for constructive critique !
Yes the coax shielding on the Haltech Elite (white trigger cable) is grounded at both ends of its run + I'll also check in with their tech nearby in Lake Forest.
If needed this small 18" run can be pulled out of the firesleeve in a minute + run independent
marty914.jpg

Grounded at both ends is usually not a good idea due to potential for ground loops. I typically lift at the sensor end.
tygaboy
agree.gif
You only want it grounded at one end. In my application, there's a pin in the ECU for all sensor grounds. Good move to verify with your ECU mfg it's set up correctly.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 16 2022, 11:18 AM) *

agree.gif
You only want it grounded at one end. In my application, there's a pin in the ECU for all sensor grounds. Good move to verify with your ECU mfg it's set up correctly.

Def need to chat with Haltech techs; Elite 2500 schematic says [A] ground all coax shields to chassis (-) at both ends. Further in the instructions it only mentions [B] grounding as close as possible near the ecu. Can I get a break smile.gif from redundant instructions ¿¿ I'll go with [B] ...sounds like what you're saying @tygaboy ?
Marty
tygaboy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Aug 16 2022, 10:14 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 16 2022, 11:18 AM) *

agree.gif

Def need to chat with Haltech techs; Elite 2500 schematic says [A] ground all coax shields to chassis (-) at both ends. Further in the instructions it only mentions grounding as close as possible near the ecu. Can I get a break smile.gif from redundant instructions ¿¿ I'll go with [B] ...sounds like what you're saying [b]@tygaboy ?
Marty

Marty - Yep, I would chat w/Haltech and verify. I don't have any experience w/them but they make good stuff, so... I'd simply mention that you've heard folks mention ground loops, grounded only at the ECU, etc. and see what they say. Not to challenge them, just to ask that they verify how you've built your harness.
As you well know, this is all part of the fun of custom built stuff! Rock ON! aktion035.gif We need to see this crazy contraption fired up!!!
erwan914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 27 2020, 06:56 PM) *

A little too much "Droop" in the rear JRZ shock assemblies, so a bit of time spent down at ERP suspension. We took 1.75" out of the equation, so this allows the air-jacks to operate at max, and the rear tires now clear the tarmac. Fronts were spot on--no changes needed.
Click to view attachment

hello

how many LBS are the springs ?

erwan
erwan914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 27 2020, 06:56 PM) *

A little too much "Droop" in the rear JRZ shock assemblies, so a bit of time spent down at ERP suspension. We took 1.75" out of the equation, so this allows the air-jacks to operate at max, and the rear tires now clear the tarmac. Fronts were spot on--no changes needed.
Click to view attachment

hello

how many LBS are the springs ? shocks rear

erwan
Maltese Falcon
@erwan914 I'll be back under 8gtt and check the ID stamps on the springs, then decode with H+R = the spring rates. There is a main, and a smaller spring (stacked together) on each JRZ rear shock.
marty914.jpg
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 29 2022, 09:04 PM) *

That engine is one slick looking piece of hardware. Love the engineering in this build been watching since inception.

I remember the first glimpse of this V8's plenum in a DP, and the thought that followed: "Yep, allll business."

Still loving this thread.
Maltese Falcon
@erwan914
Springs are Eibach / supplied by Tarett Engineering
Rear rate: 450 lbs each
Front rate: 350 lbs each
Small black assist Springs = no spring rating value
marty914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 1 2022, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 29 2022, 09:04 PM) *

That engine is one slick looking piece of hardware. Love the engineering in this build been watching since inception.

I remember the first glimpse of this V8's plenum in a DP, and the thought that followed: "Yep, allll business."

Still loving this thread.

The plenums were mfg by Wilson manifolds on a limited run. There were a couple of Riley DP's up for sale over Monterey car week; however these were both GM LS/series v8 powered. Action Express Riley's are tucked away in someone's collection biggrin.gif
number40_914.jpg
NorCalScott
[quote name='Maltese Falcon' date='May 26 2022, 07:04 PM' post='3004396']

[/quote]
Here's the inventory* on the Tilton foot-pedal equip. It's all floor mount and I've made a few changes to the uneven 914 floorboard= will make for a better install/ operation. Not a vac boosted brake system.
The 3 different size (bores) master cylinders are matched for the requirements of the brakes; Front (6 piston), Rear (4 piston), and clutch.
*Pegasus Racing is my go to place*
So it's on the To-Do list...but all sourced !
[/quote]

Will you be using a throttle cable or DBW? If DBW, what APP sensor are you using?
Maltese Falcon
@NorCalScott the accelerator assembly to the throttle bellcrank is mechanical; using a custom mfg cable by "Cable Control Co.", Santa Fe Springs, CA.
They also made my custom length SQS shifter cable.
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 10 2022, 06:59 AM) *

@NorCalScott the accelerator assembly to the throttle bellcrank is mechanical; using a custom mfg cable by "Cable Control Co.", Santa Fe Springs, CA.

Ok, thanks, is there a particular reason why you didn't go with DBW? I'm just curious why some people prefer one over the other.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Oct 10 2022, 10:25 AM) *

Ok, thanks, is there a particular reason why you didn't go with DBW? I'm just curious why some people prefer one over the other.

From my experience owning a daily driver (Ford 5.4L Triton v8) with e-throttle; I would not use the system on a high powered track car. When I've had an e-throttle malfunction (3 already on the Ford) , the engine shuts down momentarily into idle /then dead. I can put up with 70 mph on a freeway to coasting into limp mode > making my way to the right shoulder ( honking from dumb motorists and all), then waiting for a flatbed tow for 3 hours; but hauling the mail around a racetrack and having this occur would (dangerously) ruin my day.
The QC and stranded cables that I source from "Cable Control" are less than $100.00...the average that I pay for an e-throttle is $725.00 installed.
NorCalScott
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 10 2022, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Oct 10 2022, 10:25 AM) *

From my experience owning a daily driver (Ford 5.4L Triton v8) with e-throttle; I would not use the system on a high powered track car. When I've had an e-throttle malfunction (3 already on the Ford) , the engine shuts down momentarily into idle /then dead. I can put up with 70 mph on a freeway to coasting into limp mode > making my way to the right shoulder ( honking from dumb motorists and all), then waiting for a flatbed tow for 3 hours; but hauling the mail around a racetrack and having this occur would (dangerously) ruin my day.
The QC and stranded cables that I source from "Cable Control" are less than $100.00...the average that I pay for an e-throttle is $725.00 installed.

I see. Thanks Marty.
Maltese Falcon
Moving into the forced induction segment of this build, just received the shorty headers back from Ceramic shop; we are using hi-temp satin black coatings on the entire exhaust system.
Both left and right sides header collectors have an O2 and egt port.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Gathering several misc items needed for prototype locations of the Garrett turbos
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
914 firewall wiring Snorkel is a great fit into the Goodridge fire-sleeve, and something else we're fitting into this build "Old Skool style" 914 parts.
It's very accommodating and we can fit lots of wires + one 8- piece (14ga.) insulated cable in there ! This particular electrical run spans from the dashboard, pedals (floor area), and center console to the rear of the trunk area.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Onward to the transaxle nosecone, wiring for the Reverse light sending-switch in the (narrow dia) Goodridge fire sleeve now complete.
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
That super clean transaxle reminds me of a problem I'm having restoring a transaxle to presentable condition. The corrosion/oxidation is really tough to get rid of. Any suggestions? I don't want it to be polished or smooth, i just want it to be clean. Maybe painting is the best way to go.
kerensky
I find these long-term build threads (just today new posts in 3 different threads that are over a decade old!) to be equal parts inspiring and disheartening.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(NorCalScott @ Nov 3 2022, 03:32 PM) *

That super clean transaxle reminds me of a problem I'm having restoring a transaxle to presentable condition. The corrosion/oxidation is really tough to get rid of. Any suggestions? I don't want it to be polished or smooth, i just want it to be clean. Maybe painting is the best way to go.

Maybe worth a call to my bud Shawn over at California Motor Sports in Lake Havasu...they might have a procedure/or tip on getting your case lookin' tight !
NorCalScott
Thanks, I'll contact them. You're right, they probably know every trick there is.
Maltese Falcon
It's Friday>>getting Wired up !
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Not going to be long now...excited to see video of this absolute beauty running and driving. beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
Left-side rear wiring ; black (8 wire) cable will finish up making a U turn heading back to the engine bay.
The last available wires will run to Coolant temp/ engine oil temp/ trans oil temp.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Interior multi-wire cable now totally supplying circuits to left, center, and right sides of the engine bay. 12v Coolant pump for the transaxle cooler will be on a manual switched circuit, not triggered by the oe temp switch.
OE temp switch is being replaced by a VDO oil temp sender + gauge for monitoring trans temp.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Longtime POC driving.gif friend Art Zaph stopping in to see what's up, he daily drives a Cayman R these days.
Art recently sold off his 9146 electrical-schematic biz, and is enjoying retirement !
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
Damn, that's a great angle of the car. Reminds me of Kim Kardashian for some reason. Can't wait to see it on the ground with wheels and tires.
Maltese Falcon
Still having lots of fun pulling wires through Goodridge fire-sleeve. Customized end on one side mates to a curved split-wire sleeve. I found a very special roll of "Aero grade" aluminum tape in the toolbox to join the 2 together.
Maltese Falcon
A Naval Air friend gave me this surplus roll of Lamart 3-mil aluminum Aero tape. He used it during temporary repairs on the birds, just to keep out debris.
Click to view attachment
NorCalScott
Looking good! Keep working and keep the updates coming. Please. lol
914-300Hemi
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Very excited to hear it run
Maltese Falcon
I never walk by this proj in the shop and Don't tinker with this or that. This connection is for the Cartek l-e-d rain-light...also wired with a couple of quick-disconnects.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Cartek brand L-E-D rain light
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The livery for 8gtt has been voted on by us 3; @MATTYLITE and Mrs. Falcon say "Go with a 21st Century rendition of Sonauto #40".
Me...I'd like to keep sketching, but majority rules biggrin.gif
In any event, we're also collaborating with various Wrap guys for their ideas.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Laying out some real estate in the rear "Trunk" area; which will have a big intercooler , two wastegate exhaust pipes, 2 heat-bonnets (over the Garretts), 4 hood pins...so before I start sawing out the Sheridan trunk lid for all of these contour-cuts, it's good to have a quick look see at the basic layout.
Note: these are not the pipes I'll be using as they're much too tall, just some 2"od slash-cut exhaust tips for another product laying around.
marty914.jpg
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Should be a pretty good pyrotechnic show under boost smile.gif
Click to view attachment
sb914
10 years since you started this thread. Man how time fly’s.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 23 2023, 04:45 AM) *

10 years since you started this thread. Man how time fly’s.

Yessir + 10 dedicated years on these bones...happy to still be holding a wrench and torch. As the Fridge in the garage says LG , as this project moves to completion> Lifes Good !
marty914.jpg
sb914
My all time favorite build …
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 23 2023, 08:33 PM) *

My all time favorite build …

Fun stuff ahead...you will need to visit the beast next trip down to LA La Land !
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.