Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 - 8 GTT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
pete000
I wonder if Marty knows how to build an exhaust system?
Maltese Falcon
Feelin' the need to do some hand-punching on the paint-code plate with the number set today. While on an essential trip out of the house, hit my fave sugary spot in Inglewood "Randy's " ...thought this would give me the correct hammer control idea.gif Came out more like my first day as a Gastarbeiter on the assembly line blink.gif Well...it's going to hide in a little spot in a forward door jamb, so here it be ;Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Feeling a little "Pinned In" this week , so finalized the measurments for the secondary hood pins. These are only 7/16" dia pins (normally 1/2") and sourced from Pegasus
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
A little too much "Droop" in the rear JRZ shock assemblies, so a bit of time spent down at ERP suspension. We took 1.75" out of the equation, so this allows the air-jacks to operate at max, and the rear tires now clear the tarmac. Fronts were spot on--no changes needed.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
JRZ rear suspension now corrected at "Full-droop" , allowing just enough tire clearance-to-lower lip of quarter panel for tire changing during air-jack activation
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The open space just above the 4x4 and .375" alum bar, is the tire-to- ground gap, which allows for tire changing when the air-jacks activate at 9" ram stroke.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
New combination Trans vent/ fill plug for the top of the inverted 996gt2 trans
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Installed...with a bit of Anti-seize on the threads
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Header primaries 1.75" od x .125" ga. mandrel bending completed today. Precise assembly fixtures are the key in making the fitment to the Cayenne v8 engine 100% right on
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
After the primaries are completed, the secondary portion of our exhaust system including all of the turbo, wastegate, and exit piping will follow in various sizes; ranging up to 3" od . Everything x 2, (left + right sides) as this is a twin (biturbo) system
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Shorty turbo headers in the finishing phase, then off for black ceramic coating. A few extra sets built for spares ¡
Click to view attachment
Mueller
I dig it.

Great idea on that fixture for the exhaust.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 13 2020, 11:56 AM) *

I dig it.

Great idea on that fixture for the exhaust.

The fixtures make quick work of the mandrel bending, fabrication, welding; and keeping the symmetry of the Left and Right sides looking + fitting proper smile.gif
pete000
Can Marty make an exhaust system or not WOW ! Nice
MATTYLITE
Hello world,

Wanted to share with you some various updates & what we've been up to.

Finally installed the Auto Atlanta tail light buckets & smoked lenses. They really tie in well with the white & black theme of the car.

After some finessing of the Sheridan (914 Rubber?) tail light areas of the fenders, they popped right in.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

We threw the rear bumper on just to see the car somewhat more complete. Soon enough.. soon enough..

IPB Image

The amazing grill work Marty has been working on for some time now. As you can tell with most of this build, we're trying to remain as "914" as possible. This GT - esque grill was originally 2 separate grills. Almost time for paint!

IPB Image

Marty has also been hard at work building the shorty headers w/ V band clamps for the Cayenne TT block. Once finalized, they'll be off for black ceramic coating, and we'll move on to the remaining portions of the exhaust.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Gotta represent!

IPB Image
KELTY360
QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Jun 14 2020, 06:31 PM) *

We threw the rear bumper on just to see the car somewhat more complete. Soon enough.. soon enough..

IPB Image

Those two empty holes in the rear panel are ominous. Can't wait to see them filled up. drooley.gif
914 Ranch
Damn!!!!
Andyrew
Serious question. Is that a machine weld on the 45 deg tube to the 90deg tube?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 15 2020, 07:07 AM) *

For the welds in the "Compound" mandrel bends we use ; standard Miller .035 mig (hand held) with the assistance of a rotator machine.
Rotator has a foot control & vernier dial for any speed you choose to work with.
NO computerized/ programmable welding machines here at MSDS...those welds have no soul welder.gif !
Several vids with this welding system on our iG feed, @msds_inc
Marty
PlaysWithCars
Damn! Those are some quality welds, especially if done by hand. Been way too long since I've spent serious time with the welder in hand. On my best day, I maybe, occasionally, laid down a bead that was that nice. Today? Its not pretty.
pete000
Ummm, your intake is not going to fit under the deck lid...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 16 2020, 09:56 PM) *

Ummm, your intake is not going to fit under the deck lid...

Should be ok...this build is wicked in some of its aesthetic aspects !
horizontally-opposed
Please tell me you're having another "It's all stock, trust me" plate frame made?

This project is amazing…so cool to see it coming together.

Andyrew
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2020, 10:20 AM) *

For the welds in the "Compound" mandrel bends we use ; standard Miller .035 mig (hand held) with the assistance of a rotator machine.
Rotator has a foot control & vernier dial for any speed you choose to work with.
NO computerized/ programmable welding machines here at MSDS...those welds have no soul welder.gif !
Marty

Ahhhhhh that makes sense. Still QUALITY welds right there! Never seen a hand weld that nice!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 17 2020, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2020, 10:20 AM) *

Marty

Ahhhhhh that makes sense. Still QUALITY welds right there! Never seen a hand weld that nice!

Thank you Andrew, standard QC of the welding in the MSDS facility, has been this way since the doors opened !
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 17 2020, 07:46 AM) *

Please tell me you're having another "It's all stock, trust me" plate frame made?

That's funny Pete...but that frame stays with the MaRsCh car !
Frame on this 9148 GTT plate should probably read:
"Not your Grandpas Oldsmobile"
that would be for the 1 dude (out of hundreds that viewed it at RR6) that couldn't wrap his mind around a Cayenne engine planted in there.
Kept telling his grandson that an LS-Swap'd 914 had NO business at the show biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Is the black coating color an esthetic or performance choise?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 17 2020, 06:11 PM) *

Is the black coating color an esthetic or performance choise?

We normally use this Satin-Silver ceramic coating on the n/a headers. But for keeping the heat range a tad warmer (forced induction) ahead of the turbine inlets...the black is better. Better spool-up/ less lag
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 17 2020, 07:46 AM) *

License plate frame on the black six ...
Had a little message back there back in the JDM days smile.gif
Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 17 2020, 07:20 PM) *

Had a little message back there back in the JDM days smile.gif
Click to view attachment

Please translate. confused24.gif
Maltese Falcon
PORSCHE !
scripted in (my best caligraphy attempt) Japanese. I knew lots of guys that had speed shops all around my Rosemead Blvd fabrication biz, 1985-1999. They just called my black 914 "Cool old school" . None of the guys knew what a Porsche 914 was, let alone one that could out thrust any of their Pocket Rocket Hondas, Nissans or Mitsu's biggrin.gif
Larmo63
I had completely forgotten about this build......maybe it had something to do with a different 914 with the number 40 on the sides?

Damn, that thing looks lethal.
eric9144
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 17 2020, 01:16 PM) *

Kept telling his grandson that an LS-Swap'd 914 had NO business at the show biggrin.gif

chair.gif
2mAn
Just went through the entire thread again... my wife’s jealous that I don’t look at her the way I look at this car haha
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 30 2020, 09:16 PM) *

Just went through the entire thread again... my wife’s jealous that I don’t look at her the way I look at this car haha

biggrin.gif
horizontally-opposed

that would be for the 1 dude (out of hundreds that viewed it at RR6) that couldn't wrap his mind around a Cayenne engine planted in there.
Click to view attachment

Oh, I was thinking it might be time for a second one.

So, it turns out my 914 has something in common with this one: a CA plate that ends in GTT...with one of them on there since late 1972. blink.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 1 2020, 09:19 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Oh, I was thinking it might be time for a second one.

So, it turns out my 914 has something in common with this one: a CA plate that ends in GTT...with one of them on there since late 1972. blink.gif

Random Cali DMV plate...or your Custom ordered plate...let's see it smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Sway-Away custom 300m alloy axles have come in...time to join these up with the CV's !
21 1/16" is the length end to end
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
The engineers over at Sway-Away use this slightly larger bump in shaft diameter, helps out with extra strength in high HP applications.
These are also floating style axles, with longer (than OE) dimension splines.
Click to view attachment
MATTYLITE
Hello world,

Wanted to share some more progress with you all.

The SQS sequential shifter adapter has now been mated to the transaxle. Next step is adjusting & placement of the 2 shift actuator rods.

Also diving into the SQS module for gear selector circuit & gear display which will mount where the OE 914 battery used to sit. A handy 6-gang fuse box is also on the bracket. We will also use this fuse box for standard things like tail-lights, reverse lights, etc.

The custom manufactured length shift cable is approx 100", the SQS cable that came in the box was originally meant for a 996, and way too short for mid-engine use. We slipped the new cable through Goodridge fire-sleeve, keeping it safer as it will weave through a pretty hot environment!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

More to come!
ri914
QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Sep 20 2020, 01:17 AM) *

Hello world,

Wanted to share some more progress with you all.

More to come!

This build is always impressive to see. Can't wait to see this car moving around under its own power smile.gif
Cairo94507
I just love this build! beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(2mAn @ Jun 30 2020, 11:16 PM) *

I am jealous that my wife doesn't look at me the way she looks at this car. wub.gif
Maltese Falcon
I'm kind of baffled on the way these plexi (Perfomance4Plastic, UK) 914 slider windows appear. On most racecars I've seen in the last 5 decades, the slider moves rearward so the opening faces forward in the window; these are made with the slider that moves forward so the opening is in the rear of the window ...And
Check out the curved contour cut at the bottom-rear of the window (see pointer) I couldn't find any early or late 914 window diagrams that indicate a cut-out like this (just a slight diagonal). No matter, as I'll be trimming most of the Below the Sill plexi in order to clear the side safety bars. I'll run these over to the shop today and test fit...I might need to get happy with these; although great QC in their product an order takes approx 4 months .What do you racers think on the positioning of these sliders ¿
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another slider window assembly on their (P4P) website; the F40 showing the window opening in the way I'm familiar of seeing
Click to view attachment
ri914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Sep 20 2020, 02:39 PM) *

Another slider window assembly on their (P4P) website; the F40 showing the window opening in the way I'm familiar of seeing

Perhaps they switched the orientation on the slider because they knew it was going in the 914-8 GTT? I think you'll be able to open the window on acceleration if you use the standard front-to-back operation driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
Now that's a proper answer ! biggrin.gif
Mueller
Those axles have some sex appeal to them, beautiful parts!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 21 2020, 09:43 AM) *

Those axles have some sex appeal to them, beautiful parts!

If this axle/ cv combo can't hold this power, I'll be knocking on the door of Metalore.com...nearby in El Segundo. They have a patented CV joint-axle combination that run on Indy and some F1 teams driving.gif
Maltese Falcon
Added a few items , and fished a couple of SQS control wires through the Goodridge fire-sleeve
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.