Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
tygaboy
QUOTE(Retroracer @ May 8 2022, 09:22 AM) *

Chris - RE: Engine cradles and such: More food for thought in the shape of what Ferrari did with the 348 model (see pic). The removable cradle extended to mounting the suspension components, actually forming part of the car chassis. Boxster struts and lower links might be substituted...?

You would likely end up removing a lot of metal in the rear of the 914 chassis to do something like this which you may not be comfortable with.

Something to think about,

- Tony

@Cairo94507 Michael - I suspect @Retroracer Tony may not be joking with the "not be comfortable" comment. That ain't a simple task and I really DON'T want to do that level of modification, at least not at this point - and I don't think I'll have to.
I'm meeting with the owner this morning to give him one last chance to change his mind about this chassis. I'm 100% sure he's going to tell me, yet again, to "Stop asking and start cutting!"
I'm pretty sure mounting the drive train is going to be the easiest part of the build.

I've been spending most of my time trying to understand what it'll take to make the engine run stand-alone. There's an immobilizer that has to be bypassed. Good news is that there are a few companies able to supply the needed black box for that, as well as reflashing the ECUs to account for the bypass.
It's now a matter of getting hold of a wiring diagram and working out which circuits in the chassis harness have to be retained. Good news is the key has no transponder so it SOUNDS like the bypass will address the biggest issue.
The wiring stuff I just did for my LS car is child's play in comparison, given thousands of people have "been there, done that."
We'll figure it out, one way or another! sunglasses.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, I knew Tony was just pulling your chain. I know you are quite capable when it comes to cutting and welding, etc. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 08:45 AM) *

Yeah, I knew Tony was just pulling your chain. I know you are quite capable when it comes to cutting and welding, etc. beerchug.gif

"capable" and "comfortable" are two completely different things though ...
shades.gif

tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2022, 09:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 08:45 AM) *

"capable" and "comfortable" are two completely different things though ...
shades.gif

At this point, there's no compelling reason to go crazy on the chassis. This build is focused on the swap and making the car run/drive. Focus people, focus! biggrin.gif
tygaboy
Then the owner said, "Come get the rest of the parts..." This is the first load. A bit of the back story is there were at least two 360s that contributed to the parts stash. One was an F1 paddle shift car, one was a manual. One was a spyder, one not. There are boxes of parts, not labeled other than "Ferrari". There's some F1 wiring, some manual wiring...
These are only some of the bins I've got to go through.

Who speaks/reads Italian? I'll need it to figure out which of these parts I need.

In cosa mi sono cacciato? wacko.gif ( laugh.gif )
tygaboy
Some folks have asked about the intake set up. It really is quite the engineering marvel. If you're like me and find this sort of thing interesting, the link below will take you to a detailed write up about it.
At the very least, know this:
There are dual, DBW throttle bodies that control the air flow into the plenums, just like you'd expect. But those butterflies in the intake runners AND the valve that connects the plenums? They're operated pneumatically.

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/07/ferrari-...-intake-system/

Remember, all this was available on the '99 360 (maybe on some earlier models, I don't know). Want to see something interesting? Google the new 'Vette Z06 engine and look the design of its intake. Sure, its a bit more refined but it certainly seems Ferrari was onto a good idea.

Crap, I'm starting to like Ferraris...
Cairo94507
Oh my . . . you are going to be busy for a minute or two. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
After scaring the crap out of myself with the wiring, I needed something to make myself feel better so when I came across part of the exhaust, I couldn't resist a "test fit".
It actually looks pretty good. Certainly better in real life than in these pics.

And yes, that exhaust bypass is actuated electro-pneumatically. An ECU signal triggers a valve to open and that same pneumatic accumulator that controls the intake manifold pops open a less restrictive exhaust path.
Andyrew
I love butterfly valved exhausts… such a cool idea. I planned on it with my car but didn’t have room.

When I did my cars wiring I used my phone with a translation app. Also lots of stickers had numbers that I was able to look up on Google.
Krieger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 10 2022, 03:20 PM) *

After scaring the crap out of myself with the wiring, I needed something to make myself feel better so when I came across part of the exhaust, I couldn't resist a "test fit".
It actually looks pretty good. Certainly better in real life than in these pics.

And yes, that exhaust bypass is actuated electro-pneumatically. An ECU signal triggers a valve to open and that same pneumatic accumulator that controls the intake manifold pops open a less restrictive exhaust path.

The flange on that exhaust looks like a 914 2.0 idea.gif
roundtwo
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 9 2022, 03:30 PM) *

Then the owner said, "Come get the rest of the parts..." This is the first load. A bit of the back story is there were at least two 360s that contributed to the parts stash. One was an F1 paddle shift car, one was a manual. One was a spyder, one not. There are boxes of parts, not labeled other than "Ferrari". There's some F1 wiring, some manual wiring...
These are only some of the bins I've got to go through.

Who speaks/reads Italian? I'll need it to figure out which of these parts I need.

In cosa mi sono cacciato? wacko.gif ( laugh.gif )

You'll be my first call when I start building a space shuttle. pray.gif
Mueller
Do you have access to the wiring schematics? Curious how well made or not they are.

Cracker
I think so...I've been asking for "space and time" once the Benz project was completed...what happened Chris? Ford Transit Connect... biggrin.gif

Cracker

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 9 2022, 06:34 PM) *

Oh my . . . you are going to be busy for a minute or two. beerchug.gif

2mAn
Absolutely love this build, and after the other one Im so eager to see what this ends up looking like. That chassis would've been the perfect car to get forgiveness from my wife, bring that purple is her favorite color and the fact that I plan to build a flat 6 soon

Oh well, I wont try to derail this plan... and quite the opposite. A few plate ideas

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
laugh.gif

tygaboy
Too many projects, not enough time. Well, that and we were searching for all the Ferrari parts that were somewhere amongst a very large (I mean LARGE) parts stash of air-cooled 911 stuff.
And it always takes longer when your searching is interrupted when you stumble on something, umm, "unique".

Factory 935 rear suspension, center locks and calipers anyone? w00t.gif
tygaboy
But back to this build. We found all the parts that were there, most importantly, the engine ECUs, oil separator tank (and cap w/dipstick) and the throttle bodies/MAF sensors.

And you thought the engine looked big before...!

Back to the parts. Just some perspective in a "and you thought Porsche parts were pricey!" sort of way:
The ECUs (remember, there are two) command ~$2500 - $3000. Each. That oil tank cap/dipstick? Used, they're about $200.
So finding all the parts we possibly can is a good thing.
tygaboy
As soon as my 914 is back together (hopefully in less than 2 weeks), I'll move the other chassis into the Red Barn and get started on fitting this drive train! I'm psyched to get started! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 22 2022, 05:50 PM) *

Too many projects, not enough time. Well, that and we were searching for all the Ferrari parts that were somewhere amongst a very large (I mean LARGE) parts stash of air-cooled 911 stuff.
And it always takes longer when your searching is interrupted when you stumble on something, umm, "unique".

Factory 935 rear suspension, center locks and calipers anyone? w00t.gif

Damn... I would love to have those to go with my flat fan on my 914-6.

I even looked up how much wheels would cost....

Clay
SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2022, 04:07 PM) *
I even looked up how much wheels would cost....

tygaboy
If you watched the earlier video, you heard me mention how advantageous it is that the Ferrari's transmission output flanges are higher than the Boxster trans. I thought it'd be nice to have a comparo pic.
Granted the Ferrari is a dry sump engine but just look how much lower that will sit in the chassis while not adding all sorts of up angle to the axles. Quite a difference, eh?
tygaboy
Let's get this party started! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
TRS63
Looking forward to see it progressing biggrin.gif

Antoine
tygaboy
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
I just got off the phone with John Reed of John Reed Racing. He's the guy who did all the magic to get a Ferrari 458 engine running in this Toyota drift car. F-ing ridiculous stuff.
https://johnreedracing.com/

In any case, I gave him an overview of this build and we had a long chat about making the 360 run on a stand alone MoTec ECU - including swapping out the pneumatic induction components for servo-based actuation. He liked that idea!
The best ever news is that "the 360 is not nearly as complicated as the 430 or the 458 we did..." aktion035.gif aktion035.gif cheer.gif

So that is the MAJOR hurdle cleared! It was the one thing holding me back from breaking out the Sawzall on this lovely chassis. With this news, the build is full speed ahead!

This is going to be so epic... sunglasses.gif
ClayPerrine
PLEASE PAINT IT PINK AGAIN!

It is a 914, which is a bastard child of a 911 and a VW bus, powered by a Ferrari engine. So pink seems to be a really appropriate color for it.

Clay
tygaboy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 25 2022, 10:02 AM) *

PLEASE PAINT IT PINK AGAIN!

It is a 914, which is a bastard child of a 911 and a VW bus, powered by a Ferrari engine. So pink seems to be a really appropriate color for it.

Clay

Funny you mention that, @ClayPerrine . I was looking at it yesterday and was thinking the very same thing, meaning 'keep it that color'. We shall see. A ways to go before I need to worry about color.
tygaboy
I started inventorying what's there and what's going to be needed and stumbled upon this. I guess there's no choice on color now! lol-2.gif
They're even more shocking in real life and yes, they are expired. Not that I'm interested in running a harness like this in a street car, even forgetting the color.
Hard to believe maybe but I have to admit, these are maybe a bit much, even for me! blink.gif
tygaboy
On the other hand, this was in the parts stash: new, never installed A/C system! We've all seen the shape most of these are in (crappy, rotted/cracked) so I have to say, they look pretty nice when they're new. The chassis is already set up for A/C so this may actually get used in the build. If not, I'll sell it and someone will get a super nice set up.
tygaboy
As I get planning what to cut to fit the drive train, I started taking a closer look at the chassis. I'd only ever really poked around the top side. As I got under it, I was surprised to see it is / was essentially done! Bondo dust aside, everything looks really good. The flare install is particularly tidy and as mentioned, the rockers and valance metal work is top notch.

Final thoughts for today? Man, oh man, this is one "interesting" color!
markhoward
Keep it pink!
JmuRiz
QUOTE(markhoward @ Aug 1 2022, 11:59 AM) *

Keep it pink!

agree.gif
I love it
Cairo94507
Of course I find myself at odds with others. Pink is not my choice for a seriously nice 914. Yeah, I get the whole "pig" car, but that's different. Sorry, but this is sure to be a top-drawer car and I believe pink will hurt the cars appeal. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
I go back and forth. Raspberry is actually a nice looking color, if a bit feminine for the build. Something else to consider, as was pointed out to me by @Retroracer Tony, is this color would likely clash with the Ferrari red on that intake.
I could always paint the car Raspberry to keep it PTS then wrap it whatever I like at that point.
Lots to work out - and plenty of time to do it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 1 2022, 04:01 PM) *

Of course I find myself at odds with others. Pink is not my choice for a seriously nice 914. Yeah, I get the whole "pig" car, but that's different. Sorry, but this is sure to be a top-drawer car and I believe pink will hurt the cars appeal. beerchug.gif

Pretty tough to hurt the appeal of a Ferrari powered 914. dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 1 2022, 12:56 PM) *
Final thoughts for today?

It's not pink, it's raspberry ...
shades.gif
waltonsm
I was thinking further about the location and orientation of the engine/trans. What is the oiling strategy for the transmission? Are there any specific angles or pickup
Levels you are going to need to maintain?
Cairo94507
Yes, I saw the color yesterday- the bottom of the car is nicely finished and in color; it's raspberry. I told Chris, if it were mine, it would likely remain the factory PTS raspberry. I don't think it looks pink.
Dion
I’d rock the raspberry all day. I always thought it to be a cool colour.
That power plant and colour. Win!
So glad to hear the chassis is sound.
tygaboy
QUOTE(waltonsm @ Aug 3 2022, 10:39 AM) *

I was thinking further about the location and orientation of the engine/trans. What is the oiling strategy for the transmission? Are there any specific angles or pickup

@waltonsm - There's nothing special required. The drive train sits dead level in the car. It does have an interesting (factory) H20-to-transmission gear oil heat exchanger that normally sits in the valley, under the intake plenum, but I plan to replace that with a standard trans cooler.
And I saw your comment in the WCR thread about this being at the 2024 event. But I ain't waiting that long: it'll be running/driving at the 2023 event. shades.gif
Cairo94507
Mighty bold words partner..... biggrin.gif
waltonsm
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 3 2022, 03:26 PM) *

QUOTE(waltonsm @ Aug 3 2022, 10:39 AM) *

@waltonsm - There's nothing special required. The drive train sits dead level in the car. It does have an interesting (factory) H20-to-transmission gear oil heat exchanger that normally sits in the valley, under the intake plenum, but I plan to replace that with a standard trans cooler.
And I saw your comment in the WCR thread about this being at the 2024 event. But I ain't waiting that long: it'll be running/driving at the 2023 event. :shades2:

Cool!

I know that in the VR6/dsg we have in the corrado race car that the coolant/trans cooler is also intended as a heater to get the oil up to temp quick. We looked into removing it for a while, but ultimately we are still running it.

tygaboy
Thursday, August 11, 2022: Project F-NARP officially begins. @horizontally-opposed Pete - it's really happening!
The pristine chassis has been sliced and diced - and haters gonna hate but I did it anyway.
Some before and after to get things going.

I'm going to try and preserve the rear section of the trunk and use the factory metal to build an abbreviated sorta golf bag sized trunk area so there's at least some sealed storage/luggage capability.
tygaboy
Successful first day's work with the initial clearance cuts made and a first attempt at drive train fit. So, what do we know at this point?
- the whole thing needs to come up about 2" which means the 914 trans cross bar and the trunk floor immediately behind the Ferrari trans hanger mount need to be notched and raised maybe 3-4".
- the cam belt drives are contacting the firewall so either the drive train moves back or the firewall gets notched, or a little of both.
- the axle angle is great and I can move things forward or back and still be well in range of acceptable to the CVs.
- it looks awesome!
tygaboy
Rear of trans showing how close things are. What you wouldn't know is there are transmission cooler lines that need to fit up there, too. So, as I mentioned, it'll get notched.
tygaboy
Nice output flange-to-stub axle alignment, with room to go forward or backward and still have happy CV joints.
tygaboy
The engine seems so small - and it is, compared to the LS. Well, untill you remember to put the intake back in place!
mikey63
Looking good Chris! sawzall-smiley.gif
SirAndy
unsure.gif
Superhawk996
popcorn[1].gif

This one is gonna be really cool.
tygaboy
A couple more pics to finish out Day 1:
Even though it's a relatively small engine, by the time you get all the ancillary system components bolted on, it ends up a pretty large overall size envelope. Here it is with the rest of the intake and the oil/air separater.
Note that the ECU I'm planning to use eliminates those MAF (mass air flow) sensors in favor of MAP (manifold absolute pressure) so everything from those corregated bellows on back will be gone.
Also, I'll cut and tip the ends of the plenums so the throttle bodies aim downward and dive down under the trunk.

That cross bar will have tabs added and it'll serve as the main upper trans mount, as well as adding some strength to that area of the chassis. It'll also be tied into the chassis in ways I haven't yet worked out...! blink.gif There's also a lower trans mount tab that I think I can tie up to the factory 914 trans mounting points, so that's pretty cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.