Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(flat4guy @ Mar 22 2023, 06:25 PM) *

Should have made the headers come up and out like an old drag boat so everyone could see them. haha

Or exit out the top like a Carrera GT. All the reports of great sound from reviewers of the day would be replicated plus some on this build. piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
All this work on the exhaust had me ignoring the other end of the system. So... I found a damaged 360 intake manifold at a sorta local exotic car recycler.
Having a spare set up enables me to try out some modifications I'm considering while preserving a standard intake. If my ideas work, I can always sell the factory one.
tygaboy
First step was to anneal the area to soften the aluminum ahead of moving the dented area back into position. That's why the burned look.
Then it was: damage removed, cracks ground out, patch piece made and initial metal finishing underway. That area of weld yet to be addressed was a low spot that revealed itself during the filing process.
The lip at the mounting surface will be the trickiest. The damaged area is at the front of the engine so not the most visible area, but we'll see just how invisible the repair can be.
It'll be wrinkle finished so that'll help hide any minor flaws.
technicalninja
Please, please include pictures of the interior of the plenum, both the air horns and the top section.
I've wanted to see the insides of that intake set up from the start.
I'm especially interested in the cross tubes near the air horns.

Thanks
Rick
tygaboy
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 28 2023, 07:55 AM) *

Please, please include pictures of the interior of the plenum, both the air horns and the top section.
I've wanted to see the insides of that intake set up from the start.
I'm especially interested in the cross tubes near the air horns.

Thanks
Rick

@technicalninja Rick - See post #106, earlier in this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...9314&st=100

Essentially, it's a set up that doubles the length of the intake runners to improve low RPM torque. The intake runner butterflies open at >45% throttle and >5500 RPM. There's a butterfly valve between the plenum chambers that opens at what I suspect is the same time.
I've been trying to educate myself on intake manifold theory and must say, this one is quite a marvel. 110 hp/liter is pretty impressive.

I'll get a pic of the inside of the upper plenum in a future post.
technicalninja
Thank you! I haven't taken the time to go all the way through this thread and probably should have.
Variable intake length started in the late 80s and the "normal" path is long narrow tract below 60% of the RPM range and big, short tracts above that point.

Making the runners super long was an April Fool's joke for Holley but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9IERetMoL4

It made a LS based engine into a diesel.

It was done as a joke but running it on a dyno provided really good data.

Those "Rat Fink" cartoons actually had a basis in reality.

I'd love to know the length of and diameter at both ends of the high-speed sections.

That Ferrari has far more taper than most and I'd love those numbers if possible.

It's a bit creepy but...
I want to fondle your intake shades.gif
tygaboy
The throttle bodies need to be tipped down to get them to end up under the height of the trunk lid. First step is to slice off the mounting flanges. This in prep for welding on a bit of curved tube. The flanges will then be welded to the end of the newly added tubes.
Retroracer
popcorn[1].gif

- Tony
tygaboy
Shuffling cars so I can work on the LS build while I wait for some parts for the Ferrari car.
This is the first time it's been outside since the drive train swap. Note the intake turn-downs won't be that severe - they'll be maybe about 45 degrees with just a bit of straight before the throttle bodies. But it'll look mostly like this.
It'll sit a bit lower, too.
mgarrison
smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif pray.gif
Too cool for school....
tygaboy
BACKGROUND: Martin, my buddy and shop co-conspirator went to art school. He worked in a foundry. He made jewelery. He designed and fabricated pro-stock drag racing motorcycle chassis. He worked as a motorsports fabricator. He restores 1/24 scale slot cars (where his driver now has a 5 o'clock shadow!)
He does incredible work. Actually, "incredible" doesn't do justice to his work. It's ridiculous how nice it is.

So, when he said, "Would you also like me to dress the repair area?" Ummm... yes, please?

The pics speak for themselves. w00t.gif pray.gif wub.gif

Martin provided the pic with the tools to show the various implements he used to finish the repair. I'm beyond fortunate to have him on the team.
technicalninja
Freaking magical!

Like it was never broken.

Only ONE problem...

Now, you have to re-create the red wrinkle finish to the same level of perfection!

Wouldn't want Martin to show you up would you?

I believe that is the single cleanest cast aluminum repair I've ever seen.

Now, I'm envious of both your water-jet and your friend.

Truly impressive!

Both of you...
jd74914
Saw this ad on FB marketplace and thought of you…

Maserati motor
tygaboy
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 7 2023, 04:02 PM) *

Maserati motor

@jd74914 Ha! You're one of a couple folks who have pointed that out to me! That said, Those are "Ferrari designed", not flat plane cranks, etc, etc. Cool, but not cool enough... shades.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 30 2023, 12:03 PM) *

Shuffling cars so I can work on the LS build while I wait for some parts for the Ferrari car.
This is the first time it's been outside since the drive train swap. Note the intake turn-downs won't be that severe - they'll be maybe about 45 degrees with just a bit of straight before the throttle bodies. But it'll look mostly like this.
It'll sit a bit lower, too.

Hahaha av-943.gif that trans hanging down there, just makes me chuckle.
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 7 2023, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 7 2023, 04:02 PM) *

Maserati motor

@jd74914 Ha! You're one of a couple folks who have pointed that out to me! That said, Those are "Ferrari designed", not flat plane cranks, etc, etc. Cool, but not cool enough... shades.gif

I see how it is! laugh.gif shades.gif
targa72e
Yep, Maserati would be on my list to try it it had flat plane V8 just for the cool sound. But it has the standard lay out so no better than V8 Mustang or Camaro smile.gif

john
tygaboy
Got the throttle body (TB) "turn-downs" tacked on. These are 3.125 aluminum tubes typically used in boosted applications. Yes, they are WAAAAAY too long and will be trimmed back so the TBs angle downward and head under the trunk skin.
The factory set up has the TBs splayed outward a bit. Style-wise, I saw that as a bit out of place on the 914 so these are set to head straight back off the plenum.
tygaboy
With the turn-downs in place, I couldn't resist playing with some "what might this sorta look like?" mock up.
Yes, a trunk will be sactificed. Such is the "cost of cool". (Hmmm, that might have to go on a t-shirt!)
LOTS of things to work out, for sure. But I think I can come up with something I'll like! aktion035.gif
tygaboy
Sharp eyes may have noticed the 914 Ferrari car is sitting where the fixture table used to be.
The past week or so was dedicated to a Spring Cleaning at Red Barn. Much crap was tossed, low use tools and storage sold or consolidated. Fab now happpens mostly in the same area on the far side of the shop.
The end result is I can now fit - and work on - two cars at the same time! Seriously, it feels like I doubled the size of the shop.
Those of you coming to the Luft BBQ will experience it for yourselves!
Cairo94507
@tygaboy Wow- you don't mess around when you do spring cleaning. That looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing you at Luftgekuhlt and then follow you back to your place for some good food and conversation.
tygaboy
Turn-downs trimmed to length, fitted with the TB rings and everything fully welded.
tygaboy
And with the TBs. Next is noodle out an airbox and intake setup. I've got a few ideas that I think will be pretty neat...
East coaster
Airbox…….time to play with carbon again!
BuddyV
Chris.... you are turning that Pink Butterfly into a DRAGON!

piratenanner.gif
tygaboy
Then there's these. Available with a DBW actuator, which is what I'd do.
It would mean I could fit everything under stock body work, which would be kinda cool - the only tell would be the trans peeking out under the bumper. Plus, I'd have all the "trunk" space, which would otherwise be partially occupied by the intake tract and air cleaners.
I'm communicating with the company to get all the details. We'll see.
KELTY360
Would this mean you might have to re-do something?
altitude411
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 26 2023, 08:33 PM) *

unsure.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 26 2023, 07:33 PM) *

@KELTY360 - Let me correct your typo:

Would this mean you might have get to re-do something?
shades.gif
horizontally-opposed
Do like the factory plenum/throttle, but could not believe how heavy it was.

People at Porsche would be fired. biggrin.gif

Also…

Could not get over just how low the Italian V8 looked in a 914 without it. chowtime.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 26 2023, 05:18 PM) *

Then there's these. Available with a DBW actuator, which is what I'd do.
It would mean I could fit everything under stock body work, which would be kinda cool - the only tell would be the trans peeking out under the bumper. Plus, I'd have all the "trunk" space, which would otherwise be partially occupied by the intake tract and air cleaners.
I'm communicating with the company to get all the details. We'll see.

Probably not going to matter much but from the looks of it you'd give up low end torque for high rpm hp with those ITBs. Less driveability on the street.
popcorn[1].gif
targa72e
might just be me but I love the Ferrari on the intakes sticking thru the deck lid. Leaves no question of what is in the engine bay and highlights the uniqueness. With ITB's could be anything from a Porsche/Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Subaru/Toyota/Honda swap, so not nearly as interesting with out a detailed conversation.
In that mind set I am building a ITB system for my -6 conversion that uses 996 manifolds over ITB's. It will be clear that its a Porsche engine but those in the know will scratch there heads with water cooled intake manifolds and air cooled fan on the engine.

john
tygaboy
Latest update video available for your entertainment. And for those who haven't had the pleasure, you meet Martin in this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EJulpB0lrI
Cairo94507
Man oh man, the level of skill and expertise demonstrated in these 2 builds is beyond belief. Keep up the great work Chris and thanks for sharing the process. beerchug.gif
saladin
In the spirt of re-doing and for extra style points; I suggest sticking with the Ferrari original throttle body arrangement, no down turns, and focus on showcasing the engine like Ferrari likes to do. Combine the 914 engine lid and trunk lid into one...like a Ferrari spiderish engine lid. Diffidently a challenge style wise with the Ferrari engine above the 914 body lines...another level of metal fabrication and more tools... See below for inspiration.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

tygaboy
@saladin - I appreciate your input but I'm not going to try that approach. It would impact the trunk nearly all the way back and IMO, that severe a change to an area that large would alter the look far more than I want to. If for some reason I don't like what I can achieve with the current intake mods, I'll look at ITBs.
Superhawk996
popcorn[1].gif
tygaboy
Slight delay on this build so I could focus on RacerBenz. Or should I now call it "RollerBenz"! It looks so cool...
And yes, with the drive train and driver position moved to the middle, may I present "Stuck in the Middle Racing". C.LOWNS to the left, J.OKERS to the right...

Follow the build here, if you like this sort of thing:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/bui...d/182195/page1/
KELTY360
Damn you! I clicked on the thread hoping to get an update on the 914/Ferrari build and instead I get a link to the RacerBenz. Next thing I know I’m spending the afternoon reading the whole build thread…..spoiler alert…the imagination and fab skills just keep getting better. Well at least you help me keep my slacker status up to date.
aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 24 2023, 03:08 PM) *

And yes, with the drive train and driver position moved to the middle, may I present "Stuck in the Middle Racing". C.LOWNS to the left, J.OKERS to the right...

Careful, some Stealer might get your Wheel...

--DD
NARP74
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 25 2023, 04:36 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 24 2023, 03:08 PM) *

Careful, some Stealer might get your Wheel...

--DD

Hopefully Gerry is not up in the Raffertys spying on you!
tygaboy
So, I just got the quote for the complete Ferrari shifter assembly. wacko.gif icon8.gif

Sorry, I'm gonna need a minute...

Actually, give me a few days.
Montreal914
You are probably better off machining your own from scratch and pay a whole lot less… idea.gif

$5,000? $10k?
Front yard mechanic
Not appropriate
SirAndy
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Aug 10 2023, 02:49 PM) *

Not to sound morbid but look in Honolulu for a toasted one unsure.gif

Might even find a radiator hose ...
idea.gif
r_towle
Dubai has lots of parts cars….not kidding
tygaboy
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Aug 10 2023, 02:19 PM) *

You are probably better off machining your own from scratch and pay a whole lot less… idea.gif

$5,000? $10k?

I'm nowhere near smart enough to design/fab something this important. Plus, it is one of, if not THE, key focal points of the car and certainly the primary element of the driving experience. This build deserves the real deal.
tygaboy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 10 2023, 03:46 PM) *

Dubai has lots of parts cars….not kidding

F1 to manual conversions have created a ridiculous supply/demand price curve for these parts. Dubai likely has folks (with more $) in line for the same parts I need.
I was fortunate enough to have a contact in the conversion business pull in a favor and make it so I even have the chance to buy one. I knew this was going to be a big expense so wasn't totally unpreparred but, holy jebus.
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 10 2023, 02:07 PM) *

Might even find a radiator hose ...
idea.gif

lol-2.gif
tygaboy
The bullet, she has been bitten: ordered the shifter today.

And about the price, just look at these components. This isn't all of it but w00t.gif wub.gif drooley.gif Billet!
And my contact who helped facilitate this being available just drove a car with this shifter and repoted:
"I can honestly say the shift action is absolutely fantastic. Very rifle bolt action, far nicer feeling than the factory stock sloppy version."
And he has perhaps the world's most well developed 360. Good enough for me!

The pic is how it looks installed. Yes, it comes with that "pop up" area under the gate (that's for installing in a 430) Oh boy, I have options for how the console can look!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.