Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
tygaboy
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 16 2024, 05:17 PM) *

Pushing this concept ^^^ one step further, how about including the small part that is normally attached to the body and eliminate that panel gap. idea.gif

@Montreal914 You're talking about that outboard element of the engine lid? I made them removable, that might work. Interesting/great idea I may shamelessly steal... ! shades.gif
Montreal914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 16 2024, 05:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 16 2024, 05:17 PM) *

Pushing this concept ^^^ one step further, how about including the small part that is normally attached to the body and eliminate that panel gap. idea.gif

@Montreal914 You're talking about that outboard element of the engine lid? I made them removable, that might work. Interesting/great idea I may shamelessly steal... ! shades.gif

Right! smile.gif

If you plan on something like Retroracer is suggesting, might as well combine with the outer section.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
I like the idea too - apples and oranges but FWIW I 'gutted' and made my GT-style lid fully removable years ago which removed weight and improved airflow in addition to improving engine access.
tygaboy
And for those who'd like a bit more detail and add'l info on the latest progress, this'll catch you up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjOBg3ZwyDE
Chris914n6
I'll save you a bunch of time.... no on the electronic actuators. It needs to be a quick change, slow will mess up the flow efficiency. It will likely activate dozens of times per mile. Also no on a solenoid as they are not meant to be 'held' and will overheat.

That vacuum canister is HUGE. The one on my Nissan does just a big butterfly and it's soup can sized. You will probably want 2 for the volume of both mechanisms.

IPB Image

I think I would use the trunk torsen bar mounting points as a base point for the trunk wall jig as they will be on the backside of what you want to build.
tygaboy
After a fair bit of tweaking to get turn downs to mate to the plenums at the target rotation, height and angle, everything is tacked in position, allowing a test fit of the throttle bodies. I couldn't be happier with how this is looking. wub.gif
About all I could ask for would be mirror image throttle bodies to have total symmetry. But I think I can live with it!
tygaboy
And with the notched trunk lid. It's coming together...
Cairo94507
That looks sweet; looking forward to seeing it in person tomorrow. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Very cool style.
If you can manage to just show those two covers….a sweet detail.

Looking forward to this project!
East coaster
Nice!
ClayPerrine
The world's car community: "You can't put a Ferrari drivetrain in a cheap pink 70s Porsche chassis! That would be sacrilegious!"

Tygaboy: "Hold my beer..."

happy11.gif

I just figured out how to solve the world's energy crisis.

Hook a generator to Enzo Ferrari's body. Because the first time this thing drives down the road, he is going to start spinning in his grave at 20,000 RPM!

lol-2.gif

Keep up the good work. I love what you are doing.

tygaboy
...and the footage of what led to the recent pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QawHtPqzzrM
Shivers
That looks nice
roundtwo
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 23 2024, 03:30 PM) *

After a fair bit of tweaking to get turn downs to mate to the plenums at the target rotation, height and angle, everything is tacked in position, allowing a test fit of the throttle bodies. I couldn't be happier with how this is looking. wub.gif
About all I could ask for would be mirror image throttle bodies to have total symmetry. But I think I can live with it!

Wow, great progress since Wednesday. Really cool to see and hear the about all the dynamics going on in the different parts of the intake.

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
With the intake flipped 180, the engine lid opening needed updating. Still lots to work out but it looks way mo' betta with the entire length of the plenums exposed.
tygaboy
And with everything in position, I have this much clearance from the air/oil separater to a stowed targa top.
East coaster
Have you considered cutting the trunk a little further and making a piece to connect the rear halves of the engine cover (following the lines of the plenums). I’m not sure if you have room for that and still clear the targa top though? It would put stability back into the engine lid and would look pretty cool.
technicalninja
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 25 2024, 07:00 PM) *

And with everything in position, I have this much clearance from the air/oil separater to a stowed targa top.

OK, I just have to ask...

Did you plan for this when you jigged up the subframe?

Or, did you absolutely flat luck out????
ClayPerrine

Have you thought about the fact that with no trunk floor in the way, the headliner is going to get absolutely filthy with road grime every time you drive it with the top off?

If it were me, I would cut about 10mm out of the neck to provide clearance so it doesn't rub the headliner.
tygaboy
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 25 2024, 06:01 PM) *

OK, I just have to ask...

Did you plan for this when you jigged up the subframe?

Or, did you absolutely flat luck out????

@technicalninja - There was never a plan to stow the top. Totally got lucky.
But I choose to believe it's more a fate and karma thing so I'm going with:
It was meant to be.
tygaboy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2024, 04:46 AM) *

Have you thought about the fact that with no trunk floor in the way, the headliner is going to get absolutely filthy with road grime every time you drive it with the top off?

If it were me, I would cut about 10mm out of the neck to provide clearance so it doesn't rub the headliner.

@ClayPerrine - There is a plan for a removable trunk liner. I try to cover all the things I'm thinking/planning at some point in the various videos and I mentioned it at some point in a recent episode. But I do talk a lot in these and much of it is probably boring. I'm still working on how to improve my content, determine what's interesting vs. not, etc.

As to shortening the neck: it's not that simple as it's not just a neck. Lots of "stuff" happening in there and it runs all the way to the top. I'll try and remember to get a pic of the inside.
tygaboy
QUOTE(East coaster @ Feb 25 2024, 05:18 PM) *

Have you considered cutting the trunk a little further and making a piece to connect the rear halves of the engine cover (following the lines of the plenums). I’m not sure if you have room for that and still clear the targa top though? It would put stability back into the engine lid and would look pretty cool.

@East coaster - Yes, I have. If I go with a one-piece lid, there will have to be some sort of of connection at the back. I've got a few ideas. Here's a VERY early/simple one that Martin noodled up when I first cut the trunk notch, just to the ball rolling. Lot of detail missing, only 2D but you have to start somewhere.
East coaster
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 26 2024, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(East coaster @ Feb 25 2024, 05:18 PM) *

@East coaster - Yes, I have. If I go with a one-piece lid, there will have to be some sort of of connection at the back. I've got a few ideas. Here's a VERY early/simple one that Martin noodled up when I first cut the trunk notch, just to the ball rolling. Lot of detail missing, only 2D but you have to start somewhere.

Bingo!
Cairo94507
For a first rendering, that looks great. beer.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 26 2024, 07:45 AM) *

agree.gif But I'd ditch the prancing horse logo. It's a bit much and it detracts from that gorgeous plenum with the Ferrari script. After all, that's the real story.

Maybe you should design your own logo and put it front and center. A Red Barn theme would be perfect. You could even cut a barn shape instead of the circle to add some intrigue.
technicalninja
agree.gif

Someday I'll build an (oversized!) replica of a 57 pontoon fendered Testa Rossa.

I will DEFENITLEY not use any Ferrari insignia. I will not call it a Testa Rossa!

They (Ferrari) protect their brand VICIOUSLY!

Instant lawyers...

That IS NOT a Ferrari!

It is a "Red Barn" production, however!

You really should have a logo anyway...

Might modify a Porsche crest to fit in the yellow "flag".
I'd probably use another color other than yellow there.

Found this on the internet. Still too close to Ferrari for me but might give an idea.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1313230570/stu...BSABEgIWJ_D_BwE
tygaboy
@Kelty360 @technicalninja - It absolutely won't have any Ferrari logo added anywhere.
That Ferrari cavallino badging was Martin playing with adding some style points to the middle spar, which probably won't be part of the design anyway.

But I may go with something like this on some custom center caps, which I think would be perfect. IYKYK sort of thing.
technicalninja
That's KICK ASS!

Perfect.

Only problem...

ALL of the emblems need to match now!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 26 2024, 11:43 AM) *

@Kelty360 @technicalninja - It absolutely won't have any Ferrari logo added anywhere.
That Ferrari cavallino badging was Martin playing with adding some style points to the middle spar, which probably won't be part of the design anyway.

But I may go with something like this on some custom center caps, which I think would be perfect. IYKYK sort of thing.

If you want an example of how much F3RRARI protects their name, just google "site:914world.com 'Howard' '<insert Italian car company name here>' 'hose'

To make a long story short, one of our Late members, Howard Drainow, was present when an Enzo was totaled. He picked up a small hose from it that was laying on the ground. Howard had a wicked sense of humor, so he attempted to put the hose up for auction on Ebay. Very quickly he received a cease and desist letter from the house of Enzo telling him he could not use the F-Word in his auction or they would sue him for defamation.

The whole thing is documented on World. I can't find the thread where Howard posted the info about the cease and desist letter. But here is the link to the thread from before the letter: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...php?t46815.html

He ended up rewording the auction to not use the name of that Italian car company.

The funny part was that the auction was a joke to start with, and he actually planned on giving the hose to the winning bidder for nothing.

So be careful when referring to the overpriced FIAT company. They have lots of expensive lawyers.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2024, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 26 2024, 11:43 AM) *

If you want an example of how much F3RRARI protects their name, just google "site:914world.com 'Howard' '<insert Italian car company name here>' 'hose'

To make a long story short, one of our Late members, Howard Drainow, was present when an Enzo was totaled. He picked up a small hose from it that was laying on the ground. Howard had a wicked sense of humor, so he attempted to put the hose up for auction on Ebay. Very quickly he received a cease and desist letter from the house of Enzo telling him he could not use the F-Word in his auction or they would sue him for defamation.

The whole thing is documented on World. I can't find the thread where Howard posted the info about the cease and desist letter. But here is the link to the thread from before the letter: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...php?t46815.html

He ended up rewording the auction to not use the name of that Italian car company.

The funny part was that the auction was a joke to start with, and he actually planned on giving the hose to the winning bidder for nothing.

So be careful when referring to the overpriced FIAT company. They have lots of expensive lawyers.

One of the funniest episodes in the history of 914World!
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
rhodyguy
The ‘P’ word in the logo would go over like a fart in church. The attorneys on retainer love that stuff.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 27 2024, 10:53 AM) *

The ‘P’ word in the logo would go over like a fart in church. The attorneys on retainer love that stuff.

You can make anything you want for personal use. The issue is selling it for personal gain.

Or whatever this is...
IPB Image
tygaboy
Martin and I spent the afternoon working on closing the original TB openings. I cut the plenum to the desired shape, Martin worked up the paper template and cut the aluminum blank then we took turns working it into shape. Martin's aluminum welding is far better than mine so I happily videoed while he worked his magic. Super happy with how it's coming along.
One tricky piece left to do then repeat on the other side.
tygaboy
The best part is how nice it's going to look in the car. Did I get lucky guestimating the radius I cut in the lid or what? w00t.gif
davep
Nice work.
bkrantz
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 26 2024, 09:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 26 2024, 07:45 AM) *

agree.gif But I'd ditch the prancing horse logo. It's a bit much and it detracts from that gorgeous plenum with the Ferrari script. After all, that's the real story.

Maybe you should design your own logo and put it front and center. A Red Barn theme would be perfect. You could even cut a barn shape instead of the circle to add some intrigue.

It could be fun to somehow combine Porsche and Ferrari horses.
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 27 2024, 10:53 AM) *

Do you folks mean that I cannot put a dinner plate sized Fiat or subsidiary logo on the side of the car? It seems like so few people know what the car is when crossing the country that I might as well change the price range. Oh well. Another brilliant plan gone.
technicalninja
Might be fun to try "Porrari" (never having the intentions to sell it) and see what that stirs up!

Might go viral...

I will have to say the crest that Chris came up with is perfect. first.gif

The Maranello is IN THE MIDDLE of the Porsche outline...
tygaboy
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 27 2024, 07:15 PM) *

I will have to say the crest that Chris came up with is perfect. first.gif

The Maranello is IN THE MIDDLE of the Porsche outline...

@technicalninja - Exactly. And sharp eyes will note that's the cavallino, not the Porsche horse. It's the little things...
technicalninja
You do a bunch of stuff that way...

The engine lid release on the V8 car is another that I really liked.

Little tiny mods that appear "transparent" and MIGHT have been on the car from the get-go had Porsche been more astute!

I may be wrong, but I believe the Italian company got riled up over the Miami Vice Mc Burnie Daytona Spyder that was first used in the show. This appears to the start of automatic legal problems with the Company.

Story I heard/read had The Company (that cannot be named) tried to sue initially over it and they came to a resolution where The Company DONATED two brand new white Testa Rossas (late style, NOT real TRs in my book). One car got used for "glamor" shots and the other was used (as a personal vehicle) by one of the head honchos for Miami Vice.

The replicar Daytona HAD to be destroyed on the show!

I also heard/read that the action shots were done with a highly modified Pantera that had a replicar TR body and the camera car to get the shots was yet another Pantera all modified up to be a camera car.

So, action shots were still a replicar and the Company couldn't do shit about it...

Having experienced both late TRs and Panteras I'm counting the use of modified Panteras as a loss of two of the best 70s Italian cars.

IMO they should have trashed the TRs
technicalninja
Oh, by the way...

It's probably a good thing I'm 2000 miles away from you.

If I lived close, I'd be a PEST!

I'd spend way too much time at the Red Barn...

tygaboy
Here's a sneak peek at some content from the next video:
The driver side plenum partch was mostly in place and we couldn't resist seeing what it was going to look like once it's ready for new wrinkle finish. That top section got final welding, some file work then sanded. Yep, that'll work!
tygaboy
Then it was on to patching the passenger side.
Van B
FYI, I just watched the most recent Hoovie’s Garage video and he said EAG investors have started forfeiting assets…

So, you better get your cables quick!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 29 2024, 08:05 PM) *

FYI, I just watched the most recent Hoovie’s Garage video and he said EAG investors have started forfeiting assets…

So, you better get your cables quick!

@Van B - Yep, I'm aware and yes, it's looking like a bit of a shit show. I'm working with an ex-employee who may be able to help. I'm also in touch with another company that makes conversion kits as well as a custom cable company.

As I nearly always say: If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
Van B
Good, I'm glad you were tracking and have a backup in work! I literally paused the video to make that post lol...
tygaboy
Martin is back at it! I serve as decision maker and Lovely Assistant when it comes to some aspects of my builds and this intake work falls into that category.
As you'll hear in the upcoming video, I'm good enough at enough skills that I'm OK when it comes to things I'm not good at! If I need help, I ask.
I can't afford to practice on parts that are this visible so I call in the expert!
sb914
Better cover mikes car . I see lots of heavy sharp objects close by. poke.gif
tygaboy
And here you see why. Plus, it's great to take a break from working solo.

Point of clarification: I don't just call Martin and ask him to do all this. We've worked out a "bro deal" hourly rate. This works great because we can ask each other, "you feel like working today?" No one feels taken advantage of and while we are good friends, when he's At The Red Barn helping me or I'm helping him with his project, we focus on the job at hand. It's worked great for years.
Cairo94507
That is amazing work-once painted it will look like it came from Ferrari like that. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.