Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
BuddyV
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2022, 09:05 AM) *

Man, i hate my brain ...
blink.gif

Looks like the engine/trans is off to the left from the center line of the car.

I really hope that's just due to Roberts photography skills.
poke.gif

PS: And while i'm at it, that engine lid cutout should really follow the contour of the upper intake and not just be square like that.

PPS: Ok, i stop now
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

.... Germans. poke.gif

blink.gif
ClayPerrine
IPB Image

Congrats on a HUGE milestone.

Clay
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Dec 15 2022, 05:00 PM) *

@tygaboy Chris - the opposite of "clamp" is "pmalc". I believe its a silent "p".

I'm here to help.

- Tony

Couldn't let this go without acknowledgement. That there is funny. @Retroracer

Everything in this build is moving so fast I think it got lost in the dust. impressive build.
tygaboy
Merry, merry from the Red Barn! As we wrap up the year, can I just say how much I appreciate this community and each of its wacky and wonderful members? smilie_pokal.gif

And a quick heads up that 2023 will see the launch of "At The Red Barn", a bit more polished effort at a YouTube channel.

I've found I really enjoy the creative process of video-making. As with the other stuff you've seen me try and learn, the early stuff will likely be a bit bumpy, but I expect I'll get better as I go along.

If you've enjoyed my 914 World threads, I'm pretty sure you'll like what you see on At The Red Barn, too.

I'll post a link to the channel as soon as it's operational. Hope to hear from you there!

A safe and happy holiday to you and yours!

FL000
Looking forward to checking out the new channel. Need some good fabrication videos to binge on.
Rleog
How steep is the learning curve on Wondershare Filmora?
mgp4591
Cool! Are you gonna have a live band too? Couldn't hurt your ratings... aktion035.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Rleog @ Dec 25 2022, 12:17 PM) *

How steep is the learning curve on Wondershare Filmora?

@Rleog - I found it super easy and intuitive. I like to think I'm pretty good figuring out software but this was pretty simple. For example, I'd think something like "It'd be really neat to separate the audio from the video..." A right click on the track and sure enough, there's "detach audio". Perfect!
I haven't yet needed it more than a couple times but there are a lots of YouTube tutorial vids on the product.
All that said, I'm also a newbie and I'm not looking to go too crazy and distract-y with fancy stuff. But for what I think I want to deliver, I'm really happy with the product.

The acid test will be what all y'all think of the end result once I launch! I hope to enjoy it and I look forward to your constructive critisism.
tygaboy
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 25 2022, 11:03 PM) *

Cool! Are you gonna have a live band too? Couldn't hurt your ratings... aktion035.gif

@mgp4591 - Funny you mention this! I was the lead singer / bass player in a couple bands, back in the day. Here we are rehearsing in the living room - me singing - before I'd officially taken over bass duty - and when I still had hair, lots and lots of hair! av-943.gif

I have a fun story about nearly becoming a rock star. If you can place the guitarist on the right, you'll have an idea of my near brush with fame...

Anyway, last week I mentioned to one of my musician buddies that we may need to create some original music for the channel. If we do, I'll get footage of that.
mgp4591
Chris, he looks familiar but I really can't place him...plus all you California teens looked alike! You've got some good gear there though...I'm jealous!
Front yard mechanic
Bon Jovi
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 26 2022, 08:38 AM) *

@mgp4591 - Funny you mention this! I was the lead singer / bass player in a couple bands, back in the day. Here we are rehearsing in the living room - me singing - before I'd officially taken over bass duty - and when I still had hair, lots and lots of hair! av-943.gif

I have a fun story about nearly becoming a rock star. If you can place the guitarist on the right, you'll have an idea of my near brush with fame...

Anyway, last week I mentioned to one of my musician buddies that we may need to create some original music for the channel. If we do, I'll get footage of that.

Edit
mgp4591
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 26 2022, 08:38 AM) *

Edit
tygaboy
OK, "At The Red Barn" is live on YouTube!
Here are links to a quick intro and the first two episodes of the 914 Ferrari build.

Hope you enjoy and if you do, please subscribe, like and share?
Feel free to add comments and ask questions there, too.

Intro to At The Red Barn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP3GYAFsJmo

914 Ferrari Episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMj1Bq2IShw

914 Ferrari Episode 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAdV6dRyxfc
SirAndy
You can directly embed YouTube videos (3rd topic under HELP):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568
shades.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 27 2022, 08:09 AM) *

shades.gif

@SirAndy Andy - yep, I usually do it that way. Corrected, thanks.
tygaboy
Since this thread is ahead of the published videos - and I have a number of episodes "in the can" - I've decided to help the video viewers catch up. I'll be publishing everything I have over the next few days.

Here's the next episode and thanks for watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzxQ2l6qdis
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 27 2022, 07:40 AM) *
Feel free to add comments

A few observations:

- The music is too loud when compared to the speech sections. I had to fiddle with the volume adjust every time you switched to music (yeah, i'm getting old).

- You are making this weird clicking sound between sentences. It's very distracting. Most noticeable in episode #1. I don't recall you doing this when talking to you in person. Maybe it's because you're nervous filming?

idea.gif
infraredcalvin
Leave the links, as well as the embed, can’t see any videos on iPad….
JeffBowlsby
These vids are great Chris. We have not met but deep respect coming your way for what you are attempting and achieving.
Van B
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 27 2022, 11:09 AM) *

shades.gif

@SirAndy any idea why embeds don’t show up on an ipad?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Van B @ Dec 29 2022, 08:40 PM) *

shades.gif

Yes. Apple has stopped being HTML compliant quite a few years ago. They are pushing their own proprietary implementations.
dry.gif
nathanxnathan

shades.gif

It’s just Safari that doesn’t show them. Download chrome app and it works.
tygaboy
The next episode is now available. Again, I'm playing catch up to bring the videos up to date with this build thread.
At over 20 minutes, this episode is a bit longer than the earlier ones. Reason is because I demo roll bending the trans mount tube. Some folks have asked that I detail more of the "how" so I'm giving it a go with this one. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rspEm9e8APc
Craigers17
Provided that it drains really well before you take it off, that seems like a great place for an oil filter. If it doesn't drain well, ...could be messy. The access is great though.

BTW....who's the mystery guitarist?...you can't leave us in suspense.
tygaboy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Dec 29 2022, 02:39 PM) *

These vids are great Chris. We have not met but deep respect coming your way for what you are attempting and achieving.

@JeffBowlsby - Jeff - Wow, I'm humbled. That's high praise coming from you, thanks! You're close enough to swing by some time and see all this stuff in person. If that's of interest, let me know and let's get something on calendar?
tygaboy
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 30 2022, 10:56 AM) *

Provided that it drains really well before you take it off, that seems like a great place for an oil filter. If it doesn't drain well, ...could be messy. The access is great though.

BTW....who's the mystery guitarist?...you can't leave us in suspense.

@Craigers17 - The oil filters are made with an "anti-puke" tube inside them that retains the oil when removed. Special made for the upside down installation.

As to the guitarist, his name is Dave Bryson - he's a founding member of Counting Crows. We were room mates for a bit and played together in a number of bands. I sold out and got a corporate job. But let's be clear: I was never going to be a good enough bassist to play at that level. But what great time we had...
Craigers17
@Craigers17 - The oil filters are made with an "anti-puke" tube inside them that retains the oil when removed. Special made for the upside down installation.

As to the guitarist, his name is Dave Bryson - he's a founding member of Counting Crows. We were room mates for a bit and played together in a number of bands. I sold out and got a corporate job. But let's be clear: I was never going to be a good enough bassist to play at that level. But what great time we had...

That's really cool! The Counting Crows were one of my favorite 90's bands. Pretty interesting on that oil filter too....I know the mess I normally make when I change the oil, and I was just picturing that spilling out onto that beautiful engine. I guess Ferrari had it all figured out....even if they never suspected their engine would end up in a 914.
Geezer914
This build is truly a work of art!!! The design and fabrication is over the top.
76-914
Cold saw? Do tell. I missed class that day. Also, you mention that the suspension console ear interferes with the headers but on the previous page it "appears" that it clears. BTW, your "going into detail" makes the subject much more interesting. And that curvy tool could come in handy doing bodywork. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 1 2023, 07:42 AM) *

Cold saw? Do tell. I missed class that day. Also, you mention that the suspension console ear interferes with the headers but on the previous page it "appears" that it clears. BTW, your "going into detail" makes the subject much more interesting. And that curvy tool could come in handy doing bodywork. beerchug.gif

@76-914 Kent - Glad you're enjoying. You better have "liked and subscribed"! biggrin.gif
Based on additional feedback like yours, I'm going to start covering more detail about the "how" and show/describe the tools during use. But until then:
The cold saw uses a low rpm (like 65), fluid-cooled blade that makes a spark and burr-free, cut that, because of the coolant, essentially stays "cold".
And you're ahead on the header info because you've seen the build thread. Remember how I had to cut off the flange and move the primary tubes forward by two cylinders?
The video is from before doing that. Thanks for watching!
76-914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 1 2023, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 1 2023, 07:42 AM) *

@76-914 Kent - Glad you're enjoying. You better have "liked and subscribed"! biggrin.gif
Based on additional feedback like yours, I'm going to start covering more detail about the "how" and show/describe the tools during use. But until then:
The cold saw uses a low rpm (like 65), fluid-cooled blade that makes a spark and burr-free, cut that, because of the coolant, essentially stays "cold".
And you're ahead on the header info because you've seen the build thread. Remember how I had to cut off the flange and move the primary tubes forward by two cylinders?
The video is from before doing that. Thanks for watching!

Oops! yellowsleep[1].gif And yes, subscribed. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Back to some real work. Today I deceided to make the suspension console/rear cradle mount boxing panel.
First was to final check the cardboard template and remember to add some additional length so each lower leg reaches the bottom of the mount pickup point plate.
Some careful measuring and a bit of CAD work later and I had what I needed to cut the part on the plasma table.
Then it's measure to determine where that break needed to be added using the brake... wait, what? wacko.gif
tygaboy
Maybe a bit hard to tell from the pics but it fits really nicely and gives what I think is a nicely "completed" look of that area. I think I'll make a stamping die and add a relief that copies the look of those stamped into the shock tower sheet metal.
Van B
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Dec 30 2022, 02:20 AM) *

shades.gif

It’s just Safari that doesn’t show them. Download chrome app and it works.

Trying to avoid a thread jack here, but chrome is what I use.
Van B
@tygaboy what kind of a press break do you have? Those bends are super clean!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Van B @ Jan 3 2023, 04:23 PM) *

@tygaboy what kind of a press break do you have? Those bends are super clean!

@Van B I have one of these: a 48" magnetic brake.
Van B
Wow… I have never seen one of those! How thick of plate can it handle?

Edit: just looked it up. That is some impressive kit and not that expensive for what it can do. Now I see how those bends are so clean!
tygaboy
Latest episode is up. I'm going to try and publish something once a week. Let's see how I do. Hope you enjoy, like and subscribe!

For those who need the direct link: https://youtu.be/kGh5oTXHk0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGh5oTXHk0s
tygaboy
Working up the design and components for that "pivoting link", underside/rear transaxle mount. It'll be a removable structure that utilizes these in-line tube connectors. These are generally used in roll cage construction when you want a bar to be removable. In this case, I found some for 1" OD tube - perfect for what I'm up to.

One half will weld to the end of the cradle's lower tube, the other, to the bracket tube. All in line, no wonky tabs. aktion035.gif wub.gif

A bit of lathe work and I have a lighter, custom fit set. I ran out of 1" tube so it'll be next week before I make any more progress.
tygaboy
Today I spent some time giving a go to bead rolling an embossing vs making a stamping die set. Sure is faster! I did mess up one corner but with a little practice, I think I could get a really nice result.

Next try, I'll tweak the settings so it better matches the inset in the shock tower: it needs to be a bit deeper/the "ramp" a bit longer.

And no, you probably won't be able to see much of it once the headers are there... but that's not going to stop me spending three days working up four different versions of it. lol-2.gif
Van B
So very cool! These are the details that make you just love to look at a build!
tygaboy
The latest madness "At the Red Barn" is available! I'll be dropping an episode every Friday. Your likes, shares, comments and subscribes are always appreciated. Thanks for your support.

https://youtu.be/OgTZz2u6pMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTZz2u6pMs
tygaboy
Needs a bit more tidying up, and the horse will get the same treatment, but you get the idea.
SirAndy
You need to add a Fiat badge to the rear so you can really confused the heck out of people.

biggrin.gif

roundtwo
Good times yesterday live on the set at the Red Barn. I always learn a couple dozen things from Chris while I’m there. And I walked away with an audience prize – a three-way Deutsch connector that I desperately needed. TY!

Very cool metal tube bending lesson to boot!

beerchug.gif
tygaboy
Weekly video drop!
A little bit of "how the sausage is made" in this one.
Please like, subscribe (if you haven't) and share and leave a comment letting me know what you think, if you want more/less details, etc.
Thanks!

https://youtu.be/bQ_DZxxiPcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_DZxxiPcw
ClayPerrine
It looks like the oil filler on top of the tank will hit the trunk lid. Are you going to make an external filler hole, or are you going to shorten the tank?

Clay
Tferrer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 20 2023, 12:50 PM) *

It looks like the oil filler on top of the tank will hit the trunk lid. Are you going to make an external filler hole, or are you going to shorten the tank?

Clay

That sump tank cap is a work of art. I'd make a cutout in the trunk lid the exact shape as the cap with a few mm standoff to allow the motor to move... Or a colab on a carbon trunk lid with a molded cut out... Ck out the IG page for The Son of Cobra

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiJerPuLwTG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
tygaboy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 20 2023, 09:50 AM) *

Clay

@ClayPerrine Clay - At this point, I really haven't focused on the whole "how will all this clear/not clear". I'll be hitting up @Retroracer Tony to help come up with a design for the overall opening/screened cover/who knows what.
I've still got to decide on the final position of the throttle bodies, as well as some sort of air cleaner setup so, clearly, a ways to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.