Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Krieger
Belisimo!
tygaboy
I took a swing at what I may want to do to the engine lid to get the clearance I need for the throttle bodies: curving the leading edge of the grill area.

I started with the driver side, just to see what my immediate raction would be... and I think I like it!
I was worried that messing with that very straight edge would go horribly wrong but when I look at it, it seems to flow with the sail panels, the curve of the roof, the arch of the trunk lid, etc. Comparing it to the right side, I think it softens the look in that area and doesn't look out of place.
I'll cut the other side and tidy it up a bit more but I think this may work.
Van B
Would you do a double mesh GT style grill covering all the way across if you go with the curved style?
tygaboy
QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 1 2024, 07:36 PM) *

Would you do a double mesh GT style grill covering all the way across if you go with the curved style?

@Van B - If it's all mesh, the curved part would simply be some sort of support frame, since the standard diagonal brace no longer fits.
tygaboy
Catch up on all the details in the latest video. And notice how much goes on during the time lapse sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbQOzTQYVo
Van B
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 2 2024, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Van B @ Mar 1 2024, 07:36 PM) *

@Van B - If it's all mesh, the curved part would simply be some sort of support frame, since the standard diagonal brace no longer fits.

Yeah… it’s just what I was picturing. The Ferrari manifolds kinda veiled, but visible.

With your idea of the bridging across the top vs cut out, I started picturing the ability to create an amalgam of porsche and Ferrari design cues.

Not trying to advocate for what your vision should be; rather, I’m just sharing what I started thinking.
technicalninja
Something I just noticed...

"Ferrari" and "Red Barn" have the same number of letters.

The F could easily be changed to an R. The second letter is an e already...

I'd contemplate changing the name on the top of the intakes to reduce possible litigation.

Not sure if they could pop you for using one of their engines in anything but avoiding this all together might be easier...

Might be better choices than "Red Barn", food for thought.

Case in point, the Maserati use of a Ferrari engine does not say Ferrari on it in big bold letters.

I believe Ferrari and Maserati are RELATED (stepsiblings maybe?) and they still don't say Ferrari...

Rick
tygaboy
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 2 2024, 07:14 AM) *

Something I just noticed...

"Ferrari" and "Red Barn" have the same number of letters.

The F could easily be changed to an R. The second letter is an e already...

Rick

@technicalninja Rick - That is hilarious! And so, OK. Issue solved! aktion035.gif av-943.gif
technicalninja
WOW!

That looks better than I thought it would.

Some creative application of aluminum could make that "litigation proof" and still get the message across...

It would require a Master!

Luckily you have one...

I'd love to see the INSIDES of those plenums...
tygaboy
In order to get a more accurate visual, I made a quickie return and clamped it onto the curve. With that dropped edge, it still looked crowded at the plenum so I moved that end of the curve forward maybe another .75".
That overhead shot shows just how much material has been removed but it's no where near as dramatic when viewed from the side. Of course, the car is on the Quick Jacks so much higher than it will be when typically seen.

But I think this curve idea works well and that return REALLY cleans things up and gives a better impression of how this is going to look.
technicalninja
You're going to need the Ferrari mesh in the first pic in Van B's post.

Wonder how much that stuff cost?

Just different enough from 914 mesh to be noticeable.

Almost looks like little slices of pie...

Nope, it's Italian, Pizza it is!
technicalninja
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 2 2024, 04:19 PM) *

In order to get a more accurate visual, I made a quickie return and clamped it onto the curve. With that dropped edge, it still looked crowded at the plenum so I moved that end of the curve forward maybe another .75".
That overhead shot shows just how much material has been removed but it's no where near as dramatic when viewed from the side. Of course, the car is on the Quick Jacks so much higher than it will be when typically seen.

But I think this curve idea works well and that return REALLY cleans things up and gives a better impression of how this is going to look.

That top view (pic didn't quote over, probably a mistake on my part) made me think an isosceles trapezoid with the same angle (in reverse) in the truck lid which will negate the curved cut out, might work too.

You've already ripped into the trunk lid; A little more "lightening" won't hurt.

Might be too much BS with the trunk floor but it was just a thought.

You could "try it out for size/look" with a bit of masking tape.

Super neat project!
Wish I lived closer...
tygaboy
With EAG likely out of the picture, I contacted Control Cables and it looks like they can help. They make an end fitting that's dangerously close to what the Ferrari needs. What's awesome is that it's removable! Dimensionally, it's slightly undersized so I can maybe sleeve it or just make a new one that's "Control Cables" on the inside and "Ferrari" on the outside!

Here you can see the Ferrari cable (with the tape measure) and the Control Cable with its removable end fitting. aktion035.gif
tygaboy
Files + angle grinders + d/a + a bit of time and the plenum patches are nearly ready. Even though this end is entirely hidden once it's in the car - all that's visible are the top and side radii - a few spots still need a bit of tidying up.
JmuRiz
Nice! love the sharpie text too biggrin.gif
Van B
I’m pretty impressed with the quality of that sand cast aluminum. It welded really clean!
tygaboy
OK, OK, here're the details about getting things to where they are now.
And how about supporting a fellow Worlder? Subscribe! av-943.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMQuXrofcA
Cairo94507
Love "the curve"; flows nicely with the roof and sail panels. beerchug.gif
East coaster
Shaping up!….pun intended wink.gif
Chris914n6
Knowing it's a tight fit between the IM and targa top I'm thinking doing the same curve but mirrored.

If you want to keep the endcap grills for looks, it would be easier to add a slice of solid on top of the mesh than to reshape the structure for a little extra mesh that you would then need to make.

...unless you want to do a 2 piece lid like the Fiero, which makes sense with what little room you have around the IM.

Window screen makes for cheap and easy mesh since you like to see things mocked up.

IPB Image

PS. Have you tried to open the trunk yet? That may change the cut size.
technicalninja
agree.gif

See. someone else had the same idea...

Check my post 962.

That's actually a good post number to hit!

Better would have been post 914!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2024, 10:57 AM) *

With EAG likely out of the picture, I contacted Control Cables and it looks like they can help. They make an end fitting that's dangerously close to what the Ferrari needs. What's awesome is that it's removable! Dimensionally, it's slightly undersized so I can maybe sleeve it or just make a new one that's "Control Cables" on the inside and "Ferrari" on the outside!

Here you can see the Ferrari cable (with the tape measure) and the Control Cable with its removable end fitting. aktion035.gif

Greg over at Control Cable (Santa Fe Springs CA) is great. I can leave him a mock-up, usually a length of H/D extension cord with some blue tape at each end>marking the points where the type of end goes; and pick up a perfect operating Cable in about a week. He does mostly SAE, but has done some
metric ends for me as well smile.gif
tygaboy
It's not lost on me how fortunate I am. Yesterday I had a unique opportunity to hang out with a group of serious Porsche folks.
While I thought the Singer DLS would be the highlight of my day, it turns out it was when the owner of the 910 said, "You want to sit in it?". Uh... Yes! Yes I do!

That 910 was 2nd in class/4th overall at Sebring in '67.
Quite a day...
Retroracer
The famous Siffert / Hermann / Baker car....!

What an opportunity!

- Tony
Cairo94507
Wow! Great opportunity and glad you got a photo. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
For others doing a 360 gated 6-speed swap, here are the specs for the shifter cables from Control Cables.
Feel free to PM me for the shifter mount CAD file.

At The Red Barn, we're all about giving back to the community! happy11.gif laugh.gif shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 13 2024, 07:05 AM) *
At The Red Barn, we're all about giving back to the community!

It's easy to give back to a community of 1 ...
drunk.gif
gereed75
The 910 is bad ass. Looks like a tight fit.
tygaboy
Moving on to suspension and driveline stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYWU_DcBAII
tygaboy
Early review of this episode:
"Elements of this build are SHOCKING! Other times, it's all a bit shifty..."
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gx3TvD_O24
tygaboy
Well, the custom shifter cables arrived...
The less-than-good news is you can ignore those cable dimensions I posted earlier. I'm still working through things but the short story is:

Standard At The Red Barn process: Version n+1 required
They aren't the correct length/dimensions. huh.gif

I think I know why but you'll have to wait for a future video episode to see if I get it right the 2nd time.
Shivers
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2024, 07:47 AM) *

I did a screen shot of your graph. Thanks. You are working on a stock set up, so this should be the same numbers on mine. Yes? Thanks again
tygaboy
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 23 2024, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 16 2024, 07:47 AM) *

I did a screen shot of your graph. Thanks. You are working on a stock set up, so this should be the same numbers on mine. Yes? Thanks again

@Shivers - Yep, totally stock suspension set up so should apply to others, as well.
Chris914n6
Reminds me, rock crawlers use axle limiting straps. Not as pretty as rebuilding the shock but also not as involved.
Chris914n6
These are cables from a Mitsubishi 3000gt. Thought you might find it interesting... idea.gif

IPB Image

Hint: turnbuckles
tygaboy
Speaking of shifter cables...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TudujUzZ6bA
Cairo94507
That made my little brain hurt. I am sure you will get it sorted this time around. Hey, if it was easy, everyone would do it. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Geeze. That is tight.
tygaboy
Don't miss what's become an all too common occurence:

Do-overs At The Red Barn! huh.gif wacko.gif

As I've said before, it's a good thing I don't do this for a living... Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyaF_1RImNg
Cairo94507
Love the videos. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 6 2024, 06:19 AM) *

Maybe rename it "Groundhog Barn"?
idea.gif
BillJ
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2024, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 6 2024, 06:19 AM) *

Maybe rename it "Groundhog Barn"?
idea.gif

Lol. Dont drive angry!
Chris914n6
Red is short for Redondo (pronounced redo-n-do)

beerchug.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 6 2024, 03:20 PM) *

Red is short for Redondo (pronounced redo-n-do)

beerchug.gif

Now that's clever.
tygaboy
Hey, I said I was just a guy with an opinion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OBK1VdTFk
tygaboy
I'm back to working on a removable trunk insert. Martin helped and earned his keep by removing the trunk fire wall from the black parts car.

And these pics don't do justice to how cool this car looked with the back chopped off. All I could picture was a transverse drive train poking out, Lancia Stratos-ish.
tygaboy
Then it was hours of work removing spot welds and "extra" material to get the panel down to what I needed. But here it is in place. Just what I was hoping for...
tygaboy
And who'da thought: A Ferrari-swapped 914 can still store its targa top! Yes, the air/oil seperater clears the underside of the top.
There's a bit more clearance work needed so the intake manifold can fit, but fit it will.
Pretty cool, if you ask me. aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Oh WOW! - That is going to look great. beerchug.gif
Steve
hide.gif
So when are we going to hear it run? Just kidding!! As Clint Eastwood says "A man's got to know his limitations". This project is beyond my pay grade!! Thanks for keeping us in the loop of your trials and tribulations! My 3.6 conversion is more than I would ever attempt by myself and its mostly plug and play. I can't imagine what your going through! My head would explode. I still think you will beat Marty on who's project will get done first. You can't rush perfection!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.