Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT 3.6 Ferrari Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
tygaboy
If me changing my mind and re-doing things bothers you, you may want to skip this one. biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0pFicgPA6o
Cairo94507
I love watching the various iterations as you come to a "final" design. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
A few days work to transition things from plastic to stainless steel. A few design changes had to be made because the plastic is able to flex just enough that when things go to metal, positions change enough to cause the dimensions to need tweaking.
But it got done. I'm really happy with how this turned out.
Now to duplicate it, mirror image - which should go quicker now that I know the specs for each piece.
tygaboy
A couple more...
rgalla9146
WOW !
markhoward
Sexy!
Krieger
That came out really nice! Run it like that!
Cairo94507
That looks amazing Chris. smilie_pokal.gif beerchug.gif
NARP74
These look amazing, can't wait to hear them!
tygaboy
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. And sorry, @Krieger Andy, but it's getting a collector and a muffler.

Here's a mock up before each tube is final welded, trimmed to length and the collector added.
JeffBowlsby
Sexy.
ClayPerrine
Pasta Power!

The Flying Spaghetti Monster would approve!

IPB Image

You need that on the back window.

Superhawk996
Really impressive work on the exhaust pray.gif
BIGKAT_83
Is that a Burns stainless collector?

Looks great!!!!
Van B
I would like to double down on a 2.5” collector exit feeding directly to a high flow cat. That’s the one thing I would change on my 3.7L build for my 996.
tygaboy
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Feb 28 2023, 05:23 PM) *

Is that a Burns stainless collector?

Looks great!!!!

@BIGKAT_83 Bob, it's from SPD, a company near me in Nor Cal. But yes, it's B-uti-FULL!
Jett
Impressive!
KELTY360
Superb! All those iterations must be exhausting. shades.gif
East coaster
Beautiful work!
tygaboy
A bit more progress:
- 2.25"-to-2.5" transition tacked on to collector. It'll get an O2 sensor just after the rear mount of the engine cradle
- two of the tubes final welded with the main weld seam disappeared

This is just a mock up (the collector is just set on, not tacked) to see how things are fitting after welding. I'm sure some minor tweaking will be needed ahead of being "done".
BillJ
That. Is. Sexy.
Krieger
drooley.gif
Cairo94507
It blows my mind the stuff I see Chris fabricate. beerchug.gif
tygaboy
All main weld seams sanded. Hopefully, the other side will go much more quickly - this took a lot longer than I'd expected. You'd think I'd have learned by now... laugh.gif

Now to work out a finish. I'm considering white, as a nod to Ferrari's race cars. That or the same finish as my LS car's exhaust. That "titanium" cerakote tone would look pretty killer with the red plenum... idea.gif
Dion
Just beautiful exhaust craftsmanship! drooley.gif
tygaboy
You folks are seeing progress/results ahead of the videos. But here's the latest - it covers the steps involved in getting to the past few pics. Enjoy!
And help a brother out? Like, subscribe and share...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D47Ji4OTig
Cairo94507
I enjoy watching the process. But, you know....in the back of my mind, I am wondering if Chris is now reimagining the LS headers....... w00t.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 3 2023, 07:53 AM) *

I enjoy watching the process. But, you know....in the back of my mind, I am wondering if Chris is now reimagining the LS headers....... w00t.gif

@Cairo94507 Michael - You know me too well! On the LS car, it's not the headers. But I am likely updating the intake and the exhaust from the headers back. I have what I think is a very cool design that I'd like to try out. Watch for an update on the LS thread. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
Cairo94507
biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
roundtwo
Wholly ^&*^%@!!!!!

I can't imagine how you can get into the junction of the 4 pipes to weld it all up! A tight fit. Incredible work Chris. WOW.

Hope to see it first hand this weekend if I can talk my way onto "the set". Perhaps the video production team will take the weekend off.

tazz9924
smile.gif
tygaboy
It's a weekend 2-fer! Here's some panel stamping and fab fun for your Saturday enjoyment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q3mnh0YrEg
tazz9924
Do you have a bead roller? it would expidite the process of adding a step to a panel.
tygaboy
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 4 2023, 11:08 AM) *

Do you have a bead roller? it would expidite the process of adding a step to a panel.

@tazz9924 - I do have a bead roller. No way it/I could bead roll that recessed panel area. Plus, I've found the stamping approach totally eliminates any panel distortion.

To each, their own.
tygaboy
Figured it'd be prudent to test fit the first header. The good news is it fits as planned. The less than good news is that it's all but invisible way down there.
tygaboy
Clearance with the stock suspension at full droop. I'll be running shortened shocks to help limit axle angle so this area will have even more room.
O2 sensor will live just past the rear engine cradle mount.
tazz9924
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2023, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Mar 4 2023, 11:08 AM) *

@tazz9924 - I do have a bead roller. No way it/I could bead roll that recessed panel area. Plus, I've found the stamping approach totally eliminates any panel distortion.

To each, their own.

Thats fair, distortion is a problem i typically have, usually what i do is break the edges to straighten it out, it also helps weld it on. You could also be a savage and prestress it with a english wheel but im not going to pretend like id even try it. I like your stamping for its smaller detail and not accidentally messing up the corners like the bead roller.
KELTY360
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2023, 02:36 PM) *

Figured it'd be prudent to test fit the first header. The good news is it fits as planned. The less than good news is that it's all but invisible way down there.

Maybe some LED lighting would highlight them. You’re right, those pipes are way too cool to stay in the shadows. Style points, baby!
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 4 2023, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 4 2023, 02:36 PM) *

Maybe some LED lighting would highlight them. You’re right, those pipes are way too cool to stay in the shadows. Style points, baby!

Or maybe a few strategically placed mirrors in the engine compartment.
idea.gif
technicalninja
Very nice!

Wouldn't surprise me if your conversion header flows better than the stock Ferrari part.

Just impressive!
horizontally-opposed
^ You guys are adding weight.

But don't get Chris looking at F40 engine bays with all that Kevlar lest he consider…914 Firewall 3.0 happy11.gif
slowrodent
It really is a beautifully constructed item and you can see it just fine. It will be quite noticeable to anyone who cares to look. I'm very interested to see how the final exhaust system assembly will continue to differ from that of the LS motor...

Kevin
tygaboy
Best view of the exhaust is had by the inside of the tire! laugh.gif
tygaboy
I worked up a fixture to locate the collector so I could tack it in place
tygaboy
Then everything was final welded. Still have the O2 bung to add, then it's work out the rest of the exhaust.
Tferrer
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 7 2023, 07:00 PM) *

Then everything was final welded. Still have the O2 bung to add, then it's work out the rest of the exhaust.

Wowza...beautiful!
rgalla9146

Your work is incredible. Gigantic props. Form AND function.
Is the support for the collector attached to the engine side of the motor mount
or to the chassis side ?
tygaboy
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 8 2023, 06:55 AM) *

Your work is incredible. Gigantic props. Form AND function.
Is the support for the collector attached to the engine side of the motor mount
or to the chassis side ?

@rgalla9146 That's not a support. It's a temporary fixture I made to hold the collector in position so I could tack it to the primaries. The engine and headers need to move independently from the engine cradle. I'll work out muffler hangers once I get to that point.
rgalla9146

Even your temporary supports are outstanding !
Can't wait to see the rest of the exhaust system and brackets
RoadGlue
cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.