Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
Pic of the backside too. Roughed up the outside with some Scotchbrite, and touched up the black...

IPB Image

Also, here are the tail lights that arrived with the housings...

IPB Image
RiqueMar
We wanted to work on the rear hood, but had to do some touch up on the undercoating we sprayed, so instead, we finished off the front with another layer of the alumi-lead and polyester.

What do you think of the two colors under the rear hood?

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Front hood....

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Today, Joe finished up the two hoods, they are to be sprayed tomorrow, after we pick up the sheet metal off another 1.8 we have laying around attached to my (future) Side-Shifter! piratenanner.gif

Only problem is, it's attached to an exhaust that is rusted through..... nothing a Sawzall can't fix, right? sawzall-smiley.gif

Found all the (heater?) parts, and sandblasted them. man, did that suck, because they where powdercoated OVER a layer of high temp paint. bs.gif
IPB Image

These next few shots are from my own little caliper clinic! After reading that how-to by Eric Shea, I leaned and actually completed a little check through, and these turned out to be rather nice
IPB Image
IPB Image

Oh yeah, and the Girlfriend.... cheer.gif
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Today, we are going to another shop of ours and picking the engine tin off a 1.8 we have there so that it can get Powder Coated tomorrow!

Pics later!
messix
your gonna tease a bunch of lecherous dirty old men with that picture?

cruel little punk! happy11.gif lol-2.gif
PanelBilly
IPB Image

"Get your mind out of the gutter old man, you could be my father!"
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 12 2009, 02:08 PM) *

IPB Image

"Get your mind out of the gutter old man, you could be my father!"

Bwahahahaha!!!!

We are both laughing av-943.gif
RiqueMar
As promised.... pics!

We had a little trouble getting the old exhaust (which was wasted) off... sawzall-smiley.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image

Engine and side-shift bar....
IPB Image
IPB Image

Work area...
IPB Image

New Side-Shift Trans.....
IPB Image

All good sheet metal to go to Powder Coating!
IPB Image

Painted Engine lid... Joe is taking the two hoods to the paint booth!
IPB Image
RiqueMar
You know, it's pretty cool when you come into work, and the first thing you see is your hood, trunk, and engine lid all painted beautifully. aktion035.gif

Pics in a second....
RiqueMar
The painter actually made a make shift paint booth, so I had to move them outside while being careful, as they are still tacky.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

smilie_pokal.gif

RiqueMar
A few pictures of the Engine shrowd before sandblasting.... in a few hours it is being sent to Powdercoat for wrinkle black.

Turns out, I get the PCing for free, as we have some sims to send, so it gets mixed in with the batch.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Also might send the Engine bar? Not sure yet if I want it to match the engine shrowd or if I want to do the color of the car, OR something different, like red....

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Just dropped all the engine tin off for Powder Coating and I realized I forgot the Engine Bar. Oh well, looks like it's gonna be a dif color.... Yellow? Orange? White?
sean_v8_914
very nice
nomore9one4
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 14 2009, 04:40 PM) *

Just dropped all the engine tin off for Powder Coating and I realized I forgot the Engine Bar. Oh well, looks like it's gonna be a dif color.... Yellow? Orange? White?

I say paint it body color or satin black. Don't go gettin all goddy with it. Just my opinion. Cool project. I can't wait to see it all together. driving.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(faux916 @ Jul 15 2009, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 14 2009, 04:40 PM) *

I say paint it body color or satin black. Don't go gettin all goddy with it. Just my opinion. Cool project. I can't wait to see it all together. driving.gif

I know! I'm stoked about it! Probably either of those, but I would think it would have to be high temp paint, right?
RiqueMar
I just realized this thread is 9 pages.... Wow.

Got the fuse panel today! Yeah!

IPB Image
Sleepin
Nice! I need to get one of Engmans fuse boxes one of these days!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 15 2009, 04:52 PM) *

Nice! I need to get one of Engmans fuse boxes one of these days!

It is a nice little addition. I really like it for my car, because I want my car to reflect the young part of me, being my first build, and show a few updates here and there.

As for right now, I currently just finished (loosely) installing the right rear suspension, but I'm looking for the two bolts for the other side. A little while back, we totally went through all the nuts and bolts in the entire shop, I've already found a few that where organized with the shop ones, so i think thats where they disappeared to....

Pics later....
RiqueMar
Loosely installed Rear Right, everything nice and painted, even the bolts....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Turns out, we had an extra Six suspension, and it was a real hassle trying to figure why certain torsion bars wouldn't fit....
IPB Image

And as the Porsche Gods would have it, we just so happen to have brand new joints laying around
IPB Image
Sleepin
Nice! Well, you have about 64 days until RRC! biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jul 16 2009, 09:45 AM) *

Nice! Well, you have about 64 days until RRC! biggrin.gif

Maybe yeah.... It's a long drive to CO, but I've never been so we will see!

These JUST came in the mail thanks to ebay/GPR and Panel Billy! We have a set of new Hella turn signals, and air ducting....

IPB Image
IPB Image
JazonJJordan
shades.gif Nice work Rique~ we are enjoying your great progress. Thanks for the freq updates to progress. -Jzn shades.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(JazonJJordan @ Jul 16 2009, 03:05 PM) *

shades.gif Nice work Rique~ we are enjoying your great progress. Thanks for the freq updates to progress. -Jzn shades.gif

Thanks, thats cool to hear!

It helps to to hear the suggestions/comments/etc on here as well.

More updates later....
RiqueMar
914/6 Suspension with Torsion bars found/sandblasted/painted. Also have all new joints.

I really dig the Satin black. I was thinking of silver, but went with this.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
MDG
Keep it going; it's all looking fantastic!
RiqueMar
Just got the powder coated engine tin back!

Pics in a few mins!
RiqueMar
The engine tin before....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

And now, in wrinkle black, I really like the texture and how the whole set looks...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Some brand new parts...

Clutch Cable
IPB Image

Accelerator Cable
IPB Image

Speedo Cable
IPB Image

Front wheel bearings
IPB Image

E brake cables
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Very funny Jrust....

IPB Image

Box seems a little big for my nuts....
IPB Image
MDG
even the, um, bag seems a little too big for your nuts.

keep your chin up - you're young, maybe they'll grow.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 23 2009, 01:21 PM) *

even the, um, bag seems a little too big for your nuts.

keep your chin up - you're young, maybe they'll grow.

Guess I should be spending less time with my car and this progress thread, and more time with the girls, huh?

As for the pictures, I had to add them, Jrust really helped me out and he demanded I add them, can't say no.
MDG
Well, some girls yes. But some can actually make them smaller. Govern yourself accordingly.

oh, and your nuts aside, keep it going - this build is looking killer!
JRust
I was sending those out & thought that might be worth a laugh! biggrin.gif I forgot about it until he sent me a pic with a NICE lol-2.gif . I laughed for a good 5 minutes driving down the road. Make good use of those nuts dude. NO vise grips okay blink.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 23 2009, 02:08 PM) *

I was sending those out & thought that might be worth a laugh! biggrin.gif I forgot about it until he sent me a pic with a NICE lol-2.gif . I laughed for a good 5 minutes driving down the road. Make good use of those nuts dude. NO vise grips okay blink.gif

Nope only Snap-On for my nuts.
MDG
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 23 2009, 05:08 PM) *

Make good use of those nuts dude. NO vise grips okay blink.gif

you might go blind
RiqueMar
QUOTE(MDG @ Jul 23 2009, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 23 2009, 05:08 PM) *

Make good use of those nuts dude. NO vise grips okay blink.gif

you might go blind

Well, now that the rear suspension issue is to be solved by tonight, the next order of business is the front suspension, of course, I have to wait for the torsion bar adjusters that should be here tomorrow.

Already have the tires for all four out of my Dad's infinite stash. I'm thinking 6's and 7's?

After that, the new cables go in, as well as the new bushing for the Side-shift.
RiqueMar
The car is back up on the Snap-On lift, and I plan to have it rolling next....

For now, alot of pics...

Setting up the suspension. Came off a Six....
IPB Image

What's this? It looks to be a treasure box?
IPB Image

It is!!!!
IPB Image

Assembling the suspension....
IPB Image

Touched up the hubs
IPB Image

Parts to go on tomorrow...
IPB Image
IPB Image

2 cool pics....
IPB Image
IPB Image

While it's up there, a few pictures of the undercoating we did, but never got a chance to see...

That bar is going to be Silver....
IPB Image

I really like how that separation turned out...
IPB Image

I will NOT have rust on this car...
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Got a package in today from The Cap'n. Torsion bar adjusters for a 6. Also, going to be putting on a bump steer kit....

A while ago, I also picked up some new bolts that bolt in the headlights. They are black and treated and just look better overall.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Today I made great progress. I installed the front suspension completely. It was completely aligned, and set really well. I also was able to find a place to get my brake rotors turned.

However (there's always a however) the steering column didnt go though the hole that leads to the inside of the cabin, so I had to take the whole front susp. off headbang.gif This completely discouraged me.

Oh well, start again tomorrow on the trim. Also, I have to wait for the steering bushing to arrive from Pelican Parts. dry.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jul 26 2009, 02:07 AM) *

Today I made great progress. I installed the front suspension completely. It was completely aligned, and set really well. I also was able to find a place to get my brake rotors turned.

However (there's always a however) the steering column didnt go though the hole that leads to the inside of the cabin, so I had to take the whole front susp. off headbang.gif This completely discouraged me.

Oh well, start again tomorrow on the trim. Also, I have to wait for the steering bushing to arrive from Pelican Parts. dry.gif

You can see here where I scratched the undercoating while putting in the front suspension headbang.gif
IPB Image

IPB Image

Rubber liner for the engine bay, scratched the holding part a little bit, but I'm not as concerned, this is under the car and is going to get really dirty/scuffed/dented anyway....
IPB Image

Dug these old things out of storage 16 x 7's all around.....
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Don't know if I posted this yet, but these are the brakes I'll be using on the front. I already have the whole setup including rotors, struts, upgraded Master Cyl, etc.

I'm thinking red?

IPB Image
IPB Image
VOX
everythings looking great, man i've been slacking off out of money. gotta go to palmdale tomorrow and buy the adapter plate.
jetboy
I'm simply astonished at the work and detail you are doing. Looks great. Jealous indeed.
RiqueMar
Yes! I found the steering wheel bearing! Front Suspension going on in 4 hours!

For now, it's soaking in penetrating lubricant, and I'll re-grease it before it goes in.

Also, called Pelican and had to order new wheel bearing clamp nuts for the 914/6 fronts that I have.... $180 bucks for those, hub to rotor screws, caliper rebuild kits, and 2 thrust washers..... Gay

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Yay for eBay!

IPB Image
RiqueMar
I'll be working on bearings alot right now, I think there will be a short section in here on how to properly load/grease bearings, as I have make a mistake in trying to do this before.

Should I do this and if so, should I make it here or a separate thread?

Again, I might or might not take pictures, because I want to get this done AND still have it for the this summer, now that I'm 21.
PanelBilly
Your working way too fast! I need for you to take a few days off so I can catch up to you.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 28 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Your working way too fast! I need for you to take a few days off so I can catch up to you.

Looks like you're working late tonight billy, because my Suspension is on!

To sum it up, I have a 914/6 front end. In the last week of hunting parts, I've learned that this is basically a 911 front end, as I have Bilstein struts with Carrera A Calipers and rotors, and the Torsion bars and adjusters are that of a type 911. Also learned that I NEED a steering wheel bearing and that torsion adjusters of a pre 69 911 will not work on this setup..... wish I knoew that before buying them on eBay.
RiqueMar
Pics.....

Steering boot with bearing. Before I put the bearing in, cleaned it with penetrating lubricant, and re-greased it. Also, before you lock it in there, be sure to put a little grease on the half moon bracket. Cuts down on squeeking....

IPB Image

The suspension, look good?
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Painted the caps silver, thought this was a nice little touch...

IPB Image
IPB Image

The ones that WONT fit.... Any buyers?

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Started painting the brake calipers, decided on Red. Pics to come.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.