Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
Engine bits going on probably next week as I have to go back to Panama on a business trip mad.gif

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Well, I'm back from Panama. We were finishing up a sim center down there and hopefully this will be one of the last trips I had to make. It's a good thing I went too and not my Father, as the day before I left, he was having problems with his Kidneys (he has chronic Kidney stones).

Here's a few pics from the 'family business'. We design and manufacture driving simulators and on this project, our customer was the Panamanian government for whom we built 12 Volvo Bus Simulators for there public transit system. They are updating their Public transportation system and use our simulators for evaluation and training of new drivers. It's not our 'Race Division' but it was certainly a cool project building this sim center complete with a conference room, multimedia class-room, and 12 sim labs. I Hope someday the US gets on track with driver training through simulation.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Now that the business trip is outta the way, I'm able to get back to the REALLY important stuff, like my car!

Ordered a leakdown tester from the Snap-On rep, and I'm very happy with the results, which lead me to believe this engine is pretty 'fresh'...

Cylinder 1
5% leakage

Cylinder 6
5% Leakage

Cylinder 2
7% Leakage

Cylinder 4
7% Leakage

Cylinder 3
7% Leakage

Cylinder 5
7% Leakage

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Running a little rich were we?

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Cool to hear about the family biz.

Those plugs look fine blink.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Feb 16 2011, 12:54 PM) *

piratenanner.gif Cool to hear about the family biz.

Those plugs look fine blink.gif

Thanks! A few more pics.....

Right before I left we had a 'shooting day' for some promotional trailers we are doing for our Race Sims. What a fun work day driving cars with my Dad and Grandfather.

The Production company is called KwikFilms, and they do great work for events, products, and even personal cars. Some of their short videos are just awesome and very reasonably priced....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

RiqueMar
Slightly related....

JUST sold my engine today! piratenanner.gif beer3.gif cheer.gif first.gif sunglasses.gif

Looks like Riques getting a Jwest linkage kit, Rennshifter and maaaaaaybe some PMB brakes?
RiqueMar
Spent today cleaning the hell out of the fiberglass, even bead blasted the metal part VERY carefully.

Trying to figure out if I want to paint the shrowd.... Did a semi mock-up today. I'm thinking maybe grey, or just leaving it, but the fan is definitely being painted black.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Thanks Jamie! We're 'classy' with a 'k'...

IPB Image

IPB Image
AZ914
Looks great!!! I wish I had skills sad.gif

Re: the Shroud - Color match your orange? Or are you running rain-hats or a stockish air cleaner box? Maybe mix orange and black.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Feb 18 2011, 10:13 AM) *

Looks great!!! I wish I had skills sad.gif

Re: the Shroud - Color match your orange? Or are you running rain-hats or a stockish air cleaner box? Maybe mix orange and black.

Yeah, I might color match the orange, but it's in pretty good condition and I like the green as a 'nod' to history.
Gint
Nice man!
RiqueMar
Thanks Gint, I'm trying!

I posted in the Garage, but I'll double up.

Here is the video from the shoot I mentioned earlier. Hoping to get some feedbakc from you guys as this is only the first in a long process, our 'rough draft'.

Video----------->here

RiqueMar
Lot's happened since the last post.

Dropped and sold the engine, and transported it with 'Riques Engine Delievery service....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Also, I got to work on my carbs and manifolds. Since I'm switching to carbs from CIS, and seeing as how I don't want to recurve my distributor, I added the nozzles for the vacuum advance.

Luckily, the manifolds I was going to use originally already had the outlets for them, and I just happened to find another set of manifolds that look to be in better condition with (factory) coating on them?

It's really very simple, just drill the hole (I think it's about 1/2' and the smaller is 1/8) and then tap the threads.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Next in line, the carbs. The guy who rebuilt them forgot about the immolation tubes as well as the squirters, so I had to grab them from another set that we bought that turned out to have a huge crack dry.gif

Re-assembled them, and I was going to go with the stock covers, but those K&N Cleaners look SO cool!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
I'm a sucker for new engine bits..... as meaningless as they may be.....

IPB Image

My current headache, the new engine mount. I THINK I have the Rich Johnson mount, but I'm not sure as we found it on eBay. Today was spent reading other peoples threads, figuring out the height, and researching. To add on to that, now that the 4 cyl is gone, I really have no excuse to start hacking away...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Regardless of which mount I have, I'm not about to unplug everything just to get it into that mount, so I'm fabbing up a sort of 'bridge' like I've seen in other mounts, so I can simply lay the mount on top and start welding away....

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
The mailman is my new best friend, I swear, I nearly trampled the guy when I saw the box he had in his hands....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Finished work on the engine mount, I'm really liking how it turned out. In a 'well while I'm here' move, we also welded up the seems on the mount.... that thing isn't going anywhere....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Having that welded, it was time to cut the original back piece....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The final product....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
So one minute we are having fun at St. Patricks Day, drinking Green beer, listening to Irish rock... Next minute someone runs or falls into me, I fall and hear a 'pop'..... Life hurts

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
MoveQik
You pansy! Get back to work on the car so we can make fun of you at Route 66. biggrin.gif

Get well soon! beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 20 2011, 10:52 PM) *

You pansy! Get back to work on the car so we can make fun of you at Route 66. biggrin.gif

Get well soon! beerchug.gif

sad.gif I'm not gonna make it to Route 66. I was going to take the 3.6, but I have a 6:45 flight Monday morning out of Orange County. barf.gif

I wanna have this car up for RRC.... maaaaaybe I'll even steal your design for an oil cooler? idea.gif
Gint
Dude... we break up Sunday morning usually. You should have plenty of time to get home Sunday afternoon/evening.
RiqueMar
idea.gif hmmmmm

Found this relay board, looks to be out of a /6? Not quite sure, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

IPB Image

Also, getting stuff ready for a trip to the cad platers....

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Walking out of the office today, and someone says, 'You got a package, don't forget it"

Seeing as I already know what it is, I hop in the car and throw it on my cousins lap and tell her, "Openit. Openitrightnow!"

I think you all can guess who's 'handy work' this is.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Alot bigger in real life.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

PeeGreen 914
I remember when I opened a package like that drooley.gif Eric does such nice work. Those brakes were one of the hottest things on the phoenix. drooley.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Mar 23 2011, 07:48 PM) *

I remember when I opened a package like that drooley.gif Eric does such nice work. Those brakes were one of the hottest things on the phoenix. drooley.gif

agree.gif

Since 'vendor thank you threads' and 'vendor complaint threads' are the new thing around here....

Thank you ERIC SHEA!
Eric_Shea
LOL... thank YOU.

I'm looking for some pins and springs for you. If all else fails Carrera kits work. wink.gif
Sleepin
Dude, you better get your ass up to Route 66! You know that if you skip a Route 66 or a Red Rocks, that you become an event virgin again! laugh.gif

Nice brakes! Eric is (hopefully) doing a set of S-Calipers for me as well starting next month! drooley.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 24 2011, 09:21 PM) *

LOL... thank YOU.

I'm looking for some pins and springs for you. If all else fails Carrera kits work. wink.gif

Can't wait to put these on! Kinda feel like my car has a bit of history now!

Thanks Eric, sounds great.

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 24 2011, 10:20 PM) *

Dude, you better get your ass up to Route 66! You know that if you skip a Route 66 or a Red Rocks, that you become an event virgin again! laugh.gif

Nice brakes! Eric is (hopefully) doing a set of S-Calipers for me as well starting next month! drooley.gif

RRC is definetly on the calendar.... Route 66 is probably a no go, I have a 7am flight the next morning.... To Ohio blink.gif
Sleepin
At least send the better looking one of you to Route 66...... we will ensure that she stays out of trouble. rolleyes.gif smile.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Mar 25 2011, 07:18 PM) *

At least send the better looking one of you to Route 66...... we will ensure that she stays out of trouble. rolleyes.gif smile.gif

Haha, yeeeeeah about that...... she's now an ex...... Oops? confused24.gif
RiqueMar
My dad and I built this table for the back area of the shop, which is the designated car area. Almost done, and it's turning out pretty nice....

IPB Image

Also using this pallet rack to build a bit lower of a table with additional shelves on top. Almost done making this area organized. Thinking of carpeting the table top....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sandblasted the /6 engine sheet metal

IPB Image

Cleaned and mounted the /6 oil cooler....

IPB Image

Reading, reading, reading...

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Haha, yeeeeeah about that...... she's now an ex...... Oops?

You can't "Ex" your cousin. She's the cutest. wub.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 28 2011, 09:21 AM) *

Haha, yeeeeeah about that...... she's now an ex...... Oops?

You can't "Ex" your cousin. She's the cutest. wub.gif

Lol, I thought he was talking about the girl I brought to RRC headbang.gif

I can't really speak for you 'Utah folk' and your cousins though...... wub.gif

.... that being said, she is coming to RRC with me beerchug.gif Looooook out Moab! aktion035.gif
RiqueMar
By the way...

As of today, small change of plan on that engine mount question....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
What are we looking at? confused24.gif
MDG
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2011, 09:19 PM) *

What are we looking at? confused24.gif

A section of the lower firewall from a 914-6 with the factory engine mount still attached.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
use the aftermarket mount and sell the factory one and spend the money on your girl,,,,,,,hell ya.

let me know.

BTW that oil line around the back or the cooler wont work. ao 70-71 911 one will though, even though it is a soft line, and cheep.
RiqueMar
Yep, factory /6 mount..... I started drilling out the spot welds, and will probably do the same on the type 4 mounts

IPB Image

IPB Image

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 28 2011, 07:11 PM) *

use the aftermarket mount and sell the factory one and spend the money on your girl,,,,,,,hell ya.

let me know.

BTW that oil line around the back or the cooler wont work. ao 70-71 911 one will though, even though it is a soft line, and cheep.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil line sixnotfour, it's on the list. As for the mount, I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. Kinda cool, and now I "match" my Fathers. If I had a girlfriend, I would definitely think about it idea.gif
RiqueMar
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif Dear Porsche Gods..... I promise never again to question the structural integrity of the stock 914/6 engine mount. Just please..... please never put me through that firewal removal process again..... amen.... hands.gif hands.gif hands.gif

It wasn't THAT hard, but still it was not fun to get that thing off the remaining firewall.... Totally worth it though....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
Did a bit of an emergency thread about the Jwest linkage. I don't know if it's ever been put on a car (a /6) with the original /6 engine mount. I know I've seen it on the aftermarket ones, but not the originals....

I had to take down the 'oval' around the hole where the shift rod comes out, and I'll have to offset the bracket that holds the bushing, but I think we are in business. Instead of just 'chopping up' the oval, I think I did I nice blend....

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
My Father and I discussing how we are going to tackle this whole thing......

IPB Image

Welding..... It was at this point he says, 'Check in the cab to make sure nothing is... you know.... on fire!"

IPB Image

IPB Image

Too Far...

IPB Image

Better...

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Been a little lax on the updates recently. I actually TOOK A DAY OFF!!! blink.gif poke.gif yellowsleep[1].gif and snuck away with my niece/nephew and cousin to the Good Guys Car Show, pretty cool! Especially this truck that was Porsche pink!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

RiqueMar
The day after the car show (and the reason I missed Route 66) I had a business trip in Ohio to take, which actually turned out quite well because my friends got married!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Well,now back to important stuff!

Engine bay cosmetics.....

IPB Image
RiqueMar
I've been really lagging on this thread, we've been super busy at work getting a Formula1 type simulator out as well as 'researching' at the Long Beach Grand Prix. We conducted a 'test run' at a Ferrari club event for a veterans organization here in San Diego, The Warrior Foundation, which provides a transition service to veterans coming back from the Middle East. It was alot of work, but it definitely felt good!

Originally, it was a Williams type Formula1, but for this event, we added a bit of red and the charities logo, and it was transformed into an 'American Warrior' Formula1. Each of the sponsors you see on the car bought 'Sponsorship space' and all the proceeds went to the Foundation.

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
A few Long Beach Grand Prix pictures. Originally, I went with my Father and we where staying with the Ferrari Club and 458 Italia team. Unfortunatly, after the first day he got sick, so my cousin drove up and joined me for the 2 remaining days. What a great weekend!

The team was really accommodating, and we had a great view above turn 8, which is the turn between the 2nd and 3rd longest straight aways! We even got a tour of the pits, team trailer, and staging area. Thats not to say we didnt walk the track about 4 times each day!

My cousin....

IPB Image

IPB Image

The 458 team...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Indy....

IPB Image

ALMS

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Now on to the important things....

Engine bay back to black. I touched up the area I was working on with Rustoleum rubberized undercoating, it's a very close match, and I think after it sets up, you wont be able to tell the difference....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now moving on to the engine harness. Anyone have any ideas/prior experience on how to make this as quick/painless/easy/neat as possible? There's ALOT of mismatched wires and butt connectors on this thing.... headbang.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.