Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
A look at the trunk pre / post relocation of the ECU. Plan on adding a bit of filler in some places, and eventually, the trunk will go all black to match the front.

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
A look into the front trunk as we wire the relays and fuel pump, relatively straight-forward here. All thats left in this area is to clean up and 'rash-guard' the new harness.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Enrique biggrin.gif !!!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 17 2018, 09:09 AM) *

Enrique biggrin.gif !!!

** Insert Gay wave here **
RiqueMar
Sidenote here:

Seems as though my Dad is keeping his project car as retro as possible, so the 2.9 I built (previously listed in this thread) is going into his car. Really proud of that engine, and it should looks great in his real -6. I think the only change he plans on is using his rebuilt transmission that already has a Velios on it and adding a Clewett engineering ignition system.

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment
jcambo7
Is this the next forever 914 project on the world site... poke.gif

Glad to see you back at it!
bulitt
Welcome Back!!!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 17 2018, 06:24 PM) *

Is this the next forever 914 project on the world site... poke.gif

Glad to see you back at it!

QUOTE(bulitt @ Mar 17 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Welcome Back!!!

Thanks guys. Really trying to stick wit it this time.

My Father and I were able to log a few hours yesterday decoding the wiring and applying it to the 70' Chassis. As intimidating as it looks, with all the reference material there is online and considering how many 3.6 conversions have been done over the last few years, there is really a lot of information out there and makes it simple. I'll be doing my best to contribute, so any readers looking for reference can maybe learn from my mistakes or advances.
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Note: Not all the connections used in the stock 964 cluster are used. Luckily, I marked what was used in the previous vehicle, and really only have to decide what status lights and cluster I would like to use in my car.

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Click to view attachment

Sorting of the wires, and I think we are all set figuring out the correct connections to all the relays, DME, etc. The previous car and wiring was a mess, a lot of loops, dead ends, and crossed color connections. Should be cleared up by tomorrow, and all the relays, aux fuses and 12v 'checkpoints' will now be in the cab, behind the passenger seat.

..... ask me how much we love wiring.
PanelBilly
Nice to have you back
Mueller
That is a lot wiring to get your head wrapped around!

Glad to see forward progress.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 12 2018, 06:55 PM) *

Nice to have you back

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 12 2018, 07:03 PM) *

That is a lot wiring to get your head wrapped around!

Glad to see forward progress.

Thanks guys. Not updating as much, but still trying to get in a few hours everyday. My new goal is to have the car done for Rennsport in September.

For reference, the below pictures show the wiring and car from which the 3.6 came. Our biggest challenge so far is integrating it into the stock 70' harness in not only a 'clean and hidden' way, but also one that is pretty easy to access is there are any future upgrades. I'km thinking the amp / sound equipment will also go in this area, but thats secondary once the car is running.

I was originally going to take a similar approach to the following photos; putting the relays, 12v point, ECU, etc. there. After looking through a bunch of builds, blogs and progress threads, professional and otherwise, it seems as though under / behind the passenger seat is the preferred place.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
welcome.png biggrin.gif

I mounted the ECU for my 3.6L under the dash on the passengers side. My wire loom (from PMS) i just long enough to make that work.

Lemmy dig for some pictures ...
idea.gif
SirAndy
The last picture is a bit misleading, we actually made a bracket to mount it horizontally under the dash, it's completely hidden but still easily accessible.
We also used rubber mounts to cut down on vibration transfer.
driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 13 2018, 09:59 AM) *

The last picture is a bit misleading, we actually made a bracket to mount it horizontally under the dash, it's completely hidden but still easily accessible.
We also used rubber mounts to cut down on vibration transfer.
driving.gif

Hi Andy!

Your thread is actually one of the ones I studied, I like your solution, very nice as always!
RiqueMar
Hi All,

Finally have been carving out time over the last few months. In summary, completing as much of this as possible, before sending it to a shop to have the wiring, brakes, suspension, etc. looked over.

Attaching a few photos for the sake of the project thread....

Started off re-organizing and cleaning up / detailing not only the exterior, but the next areas that will be worked on (front and rear trunk / engine bay). Big shout out to my Dad for contributing a weekend on this. The car looks great, and its cool to see the trunks under all that dust...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
Followed up that day jumping into the wiring. Biggest concern right now is making sure all connections are correct (Turning on and off lights, routing the hardest, etc.)

Additionally, I've begun working on integrating the 914/6 column into the mix. It seems as though most connects plug right in. Will probably go a more modern rout and hardwire in these connections or use a sort of molex connector.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 19 2019, 03:43 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Gracias Andy.

Update: As of yesterday, have most of the lights and turn signals working. Need to convert the wipers from the stock /4 switch to the /6 on the steering column, but I'm not too concerned about that.

My main concern as of now is to get the onboard equipment working, then integrate with the 3.6 ECU and whatever is needed for the gauges. That, and organizing the harness. For the last two, I'm thinking that I'll send this off to a shop or have a pro / veteran of this kind of project come in for that.
mb911
Very cool.. I have to figure out that wiring for the column swap as well.. Soon.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 19 2019, 04:04 PM) *

Very cool.. I have to figure out that wiring for the column swap as well.. Soon.

I think you'll find it pretty easy. I can't speak for all, but my car is a 70' and most of the wires and pin colors matched right up. Assuming you had everything, I would call this a weekend job; one day to swap / disconnect and plug in, and another to clean and button everything up.

Quick note for anyone reading, can anyone advise on the steering-column bolt size? I have all my dash bolts and nuts, but missing the four the connect the column to the chassis. If I remember correctly, they were M8.
mb911
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 19 2019, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 19 2019, 04:04 PM) *

I think you'll find it pretty easy. I can't speak for all, but my car is a 70' and most of the wires and pin colors matched right up. Assuming you had everything, I would call this a weekend job; one day to swap / disconnect and plug in, and another to clean and button everything up.

Quick note for anyone reading, can anyone advise on the steering-column bolt size? I have all my dash bolts and nuts, but missing the four the connect the column to the chassis. If I remember correctly, they were M8.

They are 8mm.. I have my column in my car already just have to make the connections..
mepstein
Welcome back. beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 19 2019, 05:05 PM) *

They are 8mm.. I have my column in my car already just have to make the connections..

Thanks for the heads up. Did'nt have a metric thread-finder
JRust
Rigue it has been far to long my friend! Happy to see you still working to get that beautiful 914 back on the road. Hope to see you driving it to an event soon driving.gif
RiqueMar
The wiring continues, and I feel a bit better about it today. Fuel pump, ECU, relays seem to now be isolated and working, thanks to Dad.

As he was running different combinations, and trying to decode what was done to the wiring for the oil-cooler and fuel pump (it's a mix of multi-colored and spliced wires, romex, and Home Depot connectors), I parked in the Drivers seat for a couple of hours to try to see if I could work my way through the rats-nest.

Some before and after photos, as well as progress on component wiring...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Progress!

Trying to organize this so it makes sense, and then resemble a more stock-looking harness afterward.

Side-note: I recovered a few rubber pieces from the 75’ 914. Can anyone recommend a good method for cleaning and refurbishing? I’m thinking warm water with a bit of Simple Green, then a slow-dry, and maybe some ‘back to black’ to finish it off.

Click to view attachment
Chi-town
Simple green usually leaves a white residue.

Look at Griot's garage, their rubber cleaner works decently
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Aug 24 2019, 01:49 PM) *

Simple green usually leaves a white residue.

Look at Griot's garage, their rubber cleaner works decently

Thanks for the heads up!
RiqueMar
"How do you eat an Elephant? ...One bite at a time"

Today was dedicated to get some sort of form on the wiring harness going from the fuse board to the dash. Most everything works, but we still need to integrate components of the 3.6 harness. It's not perfect, and not the final run, but this gives us some sort of an idea on how the harness will 'run'.

I haven't completely mounted everything, because I'm still accessing the switches, but it is MUCH more organized and pretty easy to work with. Most connections are labeled, but I still have a few orphans.

To make things easier for any future adds, I'm relocating the 12v 'junction point' that's below the dash to be more accessible just behind the gauge cluster, as well as adding another for Ground.

Plan is to finish up the wiring; verify, trouble-shoot and add everything. Then I'll address the harness one-more time before buttoning up the dash.

Before
Click to view attachment

After
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
End-of-day, and we are testing! So far running lights, turn signals, headlights are a go. Current challenge is the pilot lights!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
barefoot
When routing wires over the steering column MAKE SURE you keep everything away from the U-joint. Terrible things happen if wires get snagged in that joint.
Ask me how i know.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(barefoot @ Aug 25 2019, 03:00 AM) *

When routing wires over the steering column MAKE SURE you keep everything away from the U-joint. Terrible things happen if wires get snagged in that joint.
Ask me how i know.

Thanks for the heads up! Great advice for anyone reading. Though I haven't had that happen in a car, that has happened to me when wiring out Driving Simulators. Not a fun time.

Eventually, once everything is working, updated, and confirmed, I'll remove the zip-ties and either bind the wiring with fabric-tape (to look somewhat like stock) or safety sleeving. I prefer the safety sleeving, it's what we use on our sims and makes everything look cleaner.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
If you have it, I would safety sleeve the wires after the fabric tape. Overkill? beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 25 2019, 02:35 PM) *

If you have it, I would safety sleeve the wires after the fabric tape. Overkill? beerchug.gif

Lol, I think you’re a gluten for punishment.
RiqueMar
Question for the community here. We are mounting the 914/6 steering column, and notice a slight angle, maybe 2-5 degrees to the drivers side door. Is this normal? I have yet to see it with the dash pad and mount on.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Yes that is correct.. Been. Topic several times..
ClayPerrine
Looks like you are doing a bunch of stuff that I have already tackled on my conversion. I did the steering column and ignition switch years ago, and I am just finishing up a 964 based 4.0L install. I deleted the DME relay, and went with solid state bosch square relays.

Also, I noticed you have the /4 headlight relay installed. You won't need it with the /6 column.

Let me know if I can help.

Clay
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 07:03 PM) *

Looks like you are doing a bunch of stuff that I have already tackled on my conversion. I did the steering column and ignition switch years ago, and I am just finishing up a 964 based 4.0L install. I deleted the DME relay, and went with solid state bosch square relays.

Also, I noticed you have the /4 headlight relay installed. You won't need it with the /6 column.

Clay

Clay, thanks for the post! Please do-tell, and leave your response here should anyone in the future need any insight. We did find a few ‘funky’ things happening now that we are trying to include the 914/6 steering column, and you have me thinking about that relay.

Also, very excited to hear your thoughts on deleting the DME relay, my conversion is 964 based too.

Thanks in advance, eager to hear from you.

EDIT: Briefly looked over your project thread, really like what you did with the coils below the battery. Again, eager to hear your thoughts on the above!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 25 2019, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 25 2019, 07:03 PM) *

Clay

Clay, thanks for the post! Please do-tell, and leave your response here should anyone in the future need any insight. We did find a few ‘funky’ things happening now that we are trying to include the 914/6 steering column, and you have me thinking about that relay.

Also, very excited to hear your thoughts on deleting the DME relay, my conversion is 964 based too.

Thanks in advance, eager to hear from you.

EDIT: Briefly looked over your project thread, really like what you did with the coils below the battery. Again, eager to hear your thoughts on the above!

The coils are mounted to a factory 914-6 CD box bracket. Makes for a place close to the distributor. I also put the FI grounds on the same post as the negative battery cable, and added a second ground cable to the engine at the right front corner. I wanted to insure a good ground.

I extended the DME harness so I could put the ECU on the front passenger wall. I cut out the foam block (fyi.. it is actually compressed and shellacked sawdust) to fit around it. I had to add a diagnostic plug, so I got a OBD2 plug kit off evilbay, and wired it according to the adapter diagram.

FYI.. 914-6 wiper switch has what looks like a plug for a relay on it. The other end attaches directly to the 914-6 wiper motor. The switch doesn't connect anywhere else, and the only wiring to the 914-6 motor is a single power wire.

If you are going to run anything other than LED bulbs in your headlights, you need to add a headlight relay kit to your wiring. The switch in the column takes the full load of the headlights, so the contacts burn out with any load more than a sealed beam or LED light. I don't want to sound like a shill, but this kit works good: http://www.allzim.com/store/zim-s-12v-brig...-relay-kit.html You will have to modify it slightly for a 914.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Clay
RiqueMar
Well, back at it on-and-off, and the wiring is proving to be too much for me and my Dad, recently. I don't think it's that it is so difficult, but rather that it's hard to start-and-stop while remembering what work you accomplished in the last session.

Considering, currently, either going with a more modern, simple solution (suggestions welcome) or, taking the harness out of the car that had the 3.6 installed in it previously. I think this would make matters a lot easier, as everything is correctly 'loomed'. All I would have to do is 'adjust' and figure how to integrate the /6 steering column controls (wipers, etc.)

Eager to hear the groups thoughts!

Click to view attachment
JRust
I got nothing Rique just glad to see you back at it piratenanner.gif
Cairo94507
RiqueMar- I second that. Glad to see you back and making progress on your project. beerchug.gif
eric9144
@RiqueMar cheer.gif good to see you back at it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.