Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Official Project thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
RiqueMar
QUOTE(veltror @ May 18 2010, 01:15 AM) *

Exactly!! i have bought m,yself a Carbon Fibre sheet and will do the same, i always hated that passanger seat belt light thing, bloody Safety Wankers!!! now I will be able to get rid of it.

Agreed. On my car, the warning light for the seat belts is disconnected, as well as the seat sensors.

QUOTE(6freak @ May 18 2010, 06:22 AM) *

IMO that last pix of the brown ground is questionable ..with all that rino liner under the washer .....other then that very nice work ...happy wrenching smile.gif your coming right along

Good observation,I made sure to have cleaned all the grounds though, so I'm not too worried about it.
RiqueMar
Saturday night and where is this 22 year old single guy? Just got finished working on wiring.....

Pulled out the ignition today. Had a little trouble with the top pop rivet, but nothing a little fab wont fix. Took it to a locksmith to get rekeyed and should have it back in a few days. Just enough time to get all the wiring in....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
jonferns
Any progress? popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
And what about your fathers car?
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jul 2 2010, 09:43 PM) *

Any progress? popcorn[1].gif

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 3 2010, 04:53 AM) *

And what about your fathers car?

Hey sorry for the lack of update(s) guys, there's more to come, I promise. I want to have the car done by August, so I want to get back up to daily updates like I was a while back.

As for information, I took the ignition in to get rekeyed the same day I took it out, and the locksmith told me it would be done by Wednesday at the latest. Didnt call. Finally I called the following Wednesday, and he said it would be another week, as he didnt have the proper keys. So we will see this Wednesday.... blink.gif

My Dads car is still there, he might transplant the engine from this car into his /6. Luckily, we've made my car our priority, he has his other 'toys' to keep him busy....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
As promised....

My Dad and I (ok, mostly my Dad) put up the dash vynil today, I'm really liking the way it looks....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also, started to re-start (?) the work on the wiring harness....

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Also popped in the relay board for the first time since it's been out. Still needs a bit of cleaning, and to find the harness, but all is there!

IPB Image

Did some 'wire management' in the engine area, cutting off the old hard plastic sheat and putting one that is removable....

IPB Image
RiqueMar
A few pictures from putting on the dash vynil the other day. We stayed away from the spray adhesive, and went for the Woodweld contact cement.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Trying to decide on the carpet. Whether to go with something like this, charcoal, or black.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Only got a small but important task done today. Found one of the plugs that goes from the relay board to the engine off one of the other cars. It was alittle rough, so I took off most of the old plastic, and cleaned everything off.

Before/After

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Also, as I was cleaning that portion of the harness, a neighbor walked by and we got to talking about my car. He noticed my dash, and told me he had some Carbon Fiber that, if I promised to put to 'good use' I could have. 10 minutes later, he comes back with this! Can anyone say new dash plates? Center divide insert? Maybe rear '914-6' script between the tail lights?

beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif drooley.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
After having gone through that 75' 3.6 my Father purchased the other day, we both realized how nice we've done our cars (atleast we think so). We both came to the conclusion that my car deserves a /6. The reasoning behind it is that people will see it, and like, it until they realize, "Oh, it's a Four cylinder..." dry.gif

Today I pulled out this original /6 engine that has been sitting around for a few years. It's been converted to 2.2 liters. I think I've mentioned it before, but atleast now, I actually know the significance of it having been stored inside, having turbo valve covers, and Carrera chain tensioners. I know at the minimum I'm going to need a new fan shroud.

I'm taking out to Vista tomorrow to have it checked out...... Fingers crossed! Let us PRAY to the Porsche Gods!!! pray.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
I'm still a Rookie (couldn't you tell?) but I believe the number on the engine is *6300063* I'm looking it up, but I believe this does in fact correspond to a 914/6.

Comments/questions/"Stupid rookie jokes" welcome
RiqueMar

More numbers. I still have yet to find out what this engine is. I've been trying to find an 'Engine Decoder' headbang.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar

Fixing up/ sandblasting the trim. No chrome on this one.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar

Hopped across the street to get an alarm system and door-lock actuators....

Only bought 2 actuators, but I'm going to need a thrid, probably for the front trunk. If I go 3.0L with CIS, I'm going to grab one more actuator, and hook it to the engine lid, as it's my understanding that you have to 'delete' the latch.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Trim is going on!

Say, 'no' to Chrome!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jcambo7
popcorn[1].gif
RiqueMar

Continuing my, 'Say no to chrome' campaign.....

Window bars are now black

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
charliew
This reminds me of a 40 ft boat in the gulf around florida right now
RiqueMar
QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 23 2010, 10:19 AM) *

This reminds me of a 40 ft boat in the gulf around florida right now

?

RiqueMar
Package came today!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Package came today!!!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
It's coming down to the time to decide, and, after seeing a YouTube video of a carbed /6 engine today, I think I'm going with a 3.0l carbed engine.....

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
RiqueMar
Got some time to work on the car today, and made some progress.

Got the wiring in the front trunk cleaned up.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Door locks installed, and I started on the windows. Also, I'm and idiot, and the two windows bars I painted black are both for the passenger side door.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Also, I found much to my surprise, that someone has run oil lines in this car before, and it's done rather well! ... Atleast, thats what I think

These were tajen under the driver side door, and just infront of the left-rear wheel, looking toward where the oil tank will be.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 15 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Also, I found much to my surprise, that someone has run oil lines in this car before, and it's done rather well! ...

Not oil lines. Those are the factory holes for the gas tank expansion tank plastic lines.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108524

bye1.gif Andy

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Aaaaah, ok, that makes sense. Well, seeing as I'm going to carbs either way, I suppose I could use these or, mirror this on the passenger side. Thanks for the correction, Andy.
RiqueMar
I finish the bodywork on my car! piratenanner.gif .... Only to start it on another headbang.gif

::sigh:: oh well, here's to RRC.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
RRC was a blast!! .... Except for my 'parting gift' on the way back....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
RRC definitely got me motivated on the original project. This weekend, I trailered the car BACK to the shop, and got both windows in. Man, they look great with the new rubber from 914rubber.com. Also, I decided on the late style windows. I really like the color of the tint on the Orange car. For me, this was a big hurdle because now I can get my door speakers, alarm wiring, radio, etc in.

Maaaaaaybe some Dynamat/Fatmat????

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jonferns
Any recent progress? Keep it up!
RiqueMar
Although it's a very delayed response, there's been a few developments, yes, all with pictures to come.... tomorrow!

Basically we've fitted a Euro-Spec SC engine with carbs, and that will be going into my car. Also, both my Dad and I went through the driving school through the local PCA, awesome event, I have plenty of pictures and videos.

Also, got my speeding ticket in the mail. Not bad too bad. It was about half of what I thought it to be.

Like I said, pictures tomorrow.
RiqueMar

The Engine....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Zenith carbs (pre-cleaning)....

IPB Image

Cleaner...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Post cleaning...

IPB Image
JRust
Nice Rique! Good to see progress on it. The 3.0 is a great motor. Not bulletproof but pretty damn close. Great fit for a 914 popcorn[1].gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 14 2010, 08:47 PM) *

Nice Rique! Good to see progress on it. The 3.0 is a great motor. Not bulletproof but pretty damn close. Great fit for a 914 popcorn[1].gif

Thanks man!

I'm really stoked about it. I'm trying to find out more about the 'Euro' aspect of it.

I eventually either want to drop in that extra S Motor, or this other 3.2 we have sitting around.
RiqueMar
Update! Found the other Weber! So now it's a decision between the Zeniths or Webers. Got both the rebuild kits today, so we'll see!

IPB Image
RiqueMar
IPB Image

Also, got some Homework to do!

IPB Image
Root_Werks
People have pretty strong opinions on Zenith vs Weber. I preffered Zenith for street cars where you didn't 'fiddle' with jets and adjustements all the time like you would on a dedicated track car. Zeniths are better carbs than Webers, smoother transition from idle to part to full throttle. There was just more R&D spent because they were installed on factory sold cars.

Zeniths are harder to find parts for, but you can get everything you need to feed a 3.0. I sourced all the parts I needed to feed a destroked 2.7 (2.5) and they worked very, very well.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 15 2010, 10:20 AM) *

I preffered Zenith for street cars where you didn't 'fiddle' with jets and adjustements all the time like you would on a dedicated track car. Zeniths are better carbs than Webers, smoother transition from idle to part to full throttle.

That basically goes along with what I'm hearing, that Zeniths have a smoother feel an for the street, they're great.

As for finding parts for them, both these sets are pretty complete. We are cleaning both of them right now, and the only thing I need so far is a float for each of them, as one was crushed (Weber) and the other was just old (Zenith).

I have a Youtube video I'll be putting up from the other night when I first took off the CIS and we were messing with the Zeniths before cleaning/rebuild, and they sounded pretty good, and that was without even touching them!
Root_Werks
Zeniths have more adjustements you can make. It takes more time, but once you get them dailed in, they are a pretty sweet carb setup for 911 engines.

One of the tips I picked up from a local VW shop was source Solex parts. I stopped asking for "Zenith" parts and was able to find in stock at a local VW performance shop little things like jets and seals etc.
RiqueMar
Ding! Carbs are done!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Shot of the inside before......

IPB Image
RiqueMar
Shot of the inside before......

IPB Image
J P Stein
I never touched the jetting on my Webers for 8-9 years.......and seldom did the mixture screws after the "final" set up....that took a couple months. They are/were smooth top to bottom...no surge, flat spots,yada. Internet dabblers & carbs are a joke for anyone that takes the time to learn what makes them work.

The only problem I had was occasionally over G loading them and pulling gas away from the mains. Dabblers know even less about that.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 28 2010, 11:51 AM) *

I never touched the jetting on my Webers for 8-9 years.......and seldom did the mixture screws after the "final" set up....that took a couple months. They are/were smooth top to bottom...no surge, flat spots,yada. Internet dabblers & carbs are a joke for anyone that takes the time to learn what makes them work.

The only problem I had was occasionally over G loading them and pulling gas away from the mains. Dabblers know even less about that.

Um..... Are you calling me an 'internet dabbler'? cool_shades.gif
SLITS
All of that coming from the "Drivelmeister" ..... hmmmmmmmm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.